(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,402 posts
  • 755 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by rockrand
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 217 votes
    33%

(653 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240308_213009_Chrome (resized).jpg
EC303592-D7CC-41EA-874F-1A7CEE1ECEA6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0547 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,402 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 309.
#3001 1 year ago
Quoted from MWM82:

I can only fit 1 more right now. CC SE or FunHouse... What is the correct choice?
Currently, iIn my room I have Beatles, Rocky & Bullwinkle, TMNT and room for one more.

No wrong choice. Personal preference. I would choose a brand new CCr SE for sure.

Both great games.

Richard

#3002 1 year ago
Quoted from MWM82:

I can only fit 1 more right now. CC SE or FunHouse... What is the correct choice?
Currently, iIn my room I have Beatles, Rocky & Bullwinkle, TMNT and room for one more.

The correct choice is whatever you think it is.

I’m going to assume cost is not a factor and that FH is fully working and in good condition.

FH is a Lawlor classic and for me a game that never gets old. Some people are creeped out by Rudy though. I would have had it in my collection long ago but my wife and daughter nixed clowns on the playfield and somehow Rudy qualified for them. It can also use the Funhouse 2.0 kit so in a way you can have two games in one footprint.

However, compared to CCr, the code on FH will seem very shallow. And there are advantages to buying a brand new game with warranty.

If I were making the decision I’d sell Turtles and get both.

#3003 1 year ago

It's going to come down to investment in my opinion. Funhouse minimally shopped is ranging around 6-7k recently. Up to 12k with the 2.0 kit. I upgraded my Funhouse to 2.0 while waiting on my CC to be shipped. It added a MASSIVE improvement in gameplay with the upgrade. I really enjoyed the original FH code, but it grew old after a while. The new FH code and game experience gave me a new objective that is deeper and more difficult than the original. Plus the added LCD screen(s) with PHENOMINAL animations were an added bonus. If it were between the original Funhouse with no intent to install the 2.0 update, I'd say go Cactus Canyon all day long. However, if you have the update kit installed, it would certainly make for a difficult choice (most especially if FH is nostalgic to you). Disclaimer - I've only played CC on a VPin and will be playing the physical machine for the first time tomorrow afternoon. Yet, my gut reaction with the FH 2.0 sitting in my basement: Get a CC now, cause FH prices will probably keep stable where their out now as a result of the 2.0 kit being released. It's demanding a pretty high ticket value, and CC is a steal of a deal for being a similar price. Later in life, I'm assuming some FH prices will drop before CC prices skyrocket. With that said, FH 2.0 is f'in awesome. Still getting updates on the regular, but only dialing in more and more with each one. Just my opinion of course. Either way, they are both enjoyable titles and classics to boot.

Quoted from MWM82:

#3004 1 year ago

Did anybody else get an email from PPS regarding the mirrored backglass today? Hopefully this means that they are getting close to shipping. Here is what I received:

----
Hello,

If you are getting this message, it means you said “yes” to the mirrored CCR backglass and we are missing some required information from you.

We don’t have a user name in our system for you and we will need that information before you can order your glass.

Please go here:

https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=(removed)

as soon as you can, and create your user name, then reply back to this email after you have done that.

We will be sending out additional information about the glass soon but again will need this this done asap. Thank you,

Team PPS
----

#3005 1 year ago
Quoted from Pwedge:

Did anybody else get an email from PPS regarding the mirrored backglass today? Hopefully this means that they are getting close to shipping. Here is what I received:
----
Hello,
If you are getting this message, it means you said “yes” to the mirrored CCR backglass and we are missing some required information from you.
We don’t have a user name in our system for you and we will need that information before you can order your glass.
Please go here:
as soon as you can, and create your user name, then reply back to this email after you have done that.
We will be sending out additional information about the glass soon but again will need this this done asap. Thank you,
Team PPS
----

Yep....maybe the back glass?....LE's are probably months off

#3006 1 year ago
Quoted from Pwedge:

----
Hello,
Please go here:
Team PPS
----

If I understood Rick correctly, only customers for whom PPS is also the game distributor were/are going to get backglass updates so so please post any details you get on the it and/or shipment schedule here for the rest of us.

#3008 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yep....maybe the back glass?....LE's are probably months off

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that the LE might be close. I assume that this means that the backglass is close. At this point, I'll take anything that I can get

#3009 1 year ago
Quoted from Pwedge:

----
Hello,
Please go here:
Team PPS
----

I did not receive that email today. I think they sent it to you because they don't have all of your information on file.

#3010 1 year ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

I did not receive that email today. I think they sent it to you because they don't have all of your information on file.

Sure. That was clear.

I guess I posted to both inform others as well as see if anybody has any more details on the timeline of the backglass. The last sentence of the email sure makes it sound like the mirrored backglass is imminent.

I'll go sit in the corner and wait quietly now...

#3011 1 year ago
Quoted from Pwedge:

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that the LE might be close. I assume that this means that the backglass is close. At this point, I'll take anything that I can get

All good...I knew what u meant... I told CGC I wanted the glass shipped when the game ships. I really don't need another box sitting around for another 6 months waiting on CGC

#3012 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

All good...I knew what u meant... I told CGC I wanted the glass shipped when the game ships. I really don't need another box sitting around for another 6 months waiting on CGC

CGC has nothing to do with the backglass and/or when it ships. You’ll get it when your distributor ships it to you unless you’ve made some special arrangement with them.

#3013 1 year ago

I’ve updated the “Issues to Watch For” section in the FAQ to include an entry on cabinet protectors and possible decal damage. Links to plastic and Mantis protectors included.

#3014 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

CGC has nothing to do with the backglass and/or when it ships. You’ll get it when your distributor ships it to you unless you’ve made some special arrangement with them.

Ahhh I understand that, but the back glass is completely useless without the game. I'll probably just cancel if the back glass is months ahead of the game. That being said PPS provided no estimated ship date, but just that they were about to order

#3015 1 year ago

I made another minor modification to my machine. I replaced the red flasher domes with cacti.

I have a question regarding the sound on Cactus Canyon. I have no problems with it being muffled or anything, but I would like to increase the volume of the music without increasing the volume of the call outs. Possible? I was hoping to find a POT to adjust, but no go.

#3016 1 year ago
Quoted from MWM82:

CCr….no contest

#3017 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’ve updated the “Issues to Watch For” section in the FAQ to include an entry on cabinet protectors and possible decal damage. Links to plastic and Mantis protectors included.

Thanks guys, just ordered a set.
Just checked my other 3 remakes last night, no issues there.

Richard

#3018 1 year ago
Quoted from kcirrick:

I made another minor modification to my machine. I replaced the red flasher domes with cacti.
I have a question regarding the sound on Cactus Canyon. I have no problems with it being muffled or anything, but I would like to increase the volume of the music without increasing the volume of the call outs. Possible? I was hoping to find a POT to adjust, but no go.

Where did you find the cacti ?

#3019 1 year ago
Quoted from kcirrick:

I need those cacti too!

#3020 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I need those cacti too!

Me too!

#3021 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Checked my legs and their offset from the game no wrinkling

Same. My legs seem just offset enough from the cabinet to avoid any "cabinet dig" with normal home usage anyway. My CCr was a March build date. Maybe some of the legs used on later build dates are off angle? I recall HEP lamenting in his thread about some of the legs he was able to obtain recently that were less than optimal I believe...

Update: Checked HEP's thread from 3 months ago (Post # 10802) in which he was restoring a Diner and despite the machine having metal cabinet protectors there was still some marks on the cabinet from the legs. HEP stated as follows as to the legs themselves:

Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The crimp is far too tight and that’s what happens. Unfortunately many of the latest legs I have been getting in are also like this. Sucks because they are too tight and even protectors can’t keep them off the cabinets. Parts guys need to fix this and reject them.
Used some better legs that I have pictured to the left and no issues.

So... for those experiencing issues with the decals wrinkling it may not be due to insufficiency of the leg protector put on by CGC... but rather may be due to the crimping of the factory legs themselves.

#3022 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Same. My legs seem just offset enough from the cabinet to avoid any "cabinet dig" with normal home usage anyway. My CCr was a March build date. Maybe some of the legs used on later build dates are off angle? I recall HEP lamenting in his thread about some of the legs he was able to obtain recently that were less than optimal I believe...
Update: Checked HEP's thread from 3 months ago (Post # 10802) in which he was restoring a Diner and despite the machine having metal cabinet protectors there was still some marks on the cabinet from the legs. HEP stated as follows as to the legs themselves:

So... for those experiencing issues with the decals wrinkling it may not be due to insufficiency of the leg protector put on by CGC... but rather may be due to the crimping of the factory legs themselves.

Agreed I'm quite sure it's the legs while I was bitching about the super thin plate my wife noticed the crimp right away. Doesn't make me feel any better tho gona open a ticket. The night before I noticed a tiny chip on the inside of my trick shot guide rail that I previously decided I didn't need to put a fiber washer under like I do on my Sterns. Ugh it was a rough 24 hours for my poor CCr. May build for the record

#3023 1 year ago
Quoted from kcirrick:

I made another minor modification to my machine. I replaced the red flasher domes with cacti

Your video of the cactus flasher is great.

Excellent transition of before and after. They should've been standard.

#3024 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

I noticed a tiny chip on the inside of my trick shot guide rail that I previously decided I didn't need to put a fiber washer under like I do on my Sterns

A chip in the clear but not in the art?

I would not expect playfield issues like some have on Stern or JJP because the CGC playfields are screened, not printed.

#3025 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I would not expect playfield issues like some have on Stern or JJP because the CGC playfields are screened, not printed.

And made in the O.G. Churchill cabinet factory using systems that were used on the classic Bally willians.

#3026 1 year ago

Early morning ... left at 3:30am to pick this up at 8am in Connecticut.

20220623_083914 (resized).jpg20220623_083914 (resized).jpg
#3027 1 year ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Please post a picture of the dog on top of the car.

LTG : )

#3028 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

And made in the O.G. Churchill cabinet factory using systems

Unfortunately the clear is not the same as used in the 90's. No longer allowed.

#3029 1 year ago

Make sure you have a ton of energy drinks on the way home so you are up to playing!

#3030 1 year ago

All ... the CCR Mirrored Backglasses will start shipping in the next few days to resellers and will then be available thru your reseller.

Here is a short panorama of the glass ... as well as attached some pictures (again taking pictures of mirror is not easy)

As has always been the case - these glasses are to CCR Game customers - given the delays in shipments of LE/SE+, it is ok if you are a confirmed customer with a reseller to get your glass ahead of time. Remember it's one per customer per game ordered.

For PPS CCR Customers, we will have the glass on our store orderable by only those who are PPS' CCR customers, hence the reason for an earlier post about a message PPS has sent about getting a user ID, which is how we manage this on the PPS store (if you have issues getting a login id, our helpdesk is the place to address ... not here). We have some glass here now, and will be available starting tomorrow. When we run out we will get more, which will be the same with many resellers.

It will take several months for these glasses to be produced against the orders that we have thru the resellers - so please be patient. These are true mirror backglasses with some color adjustments to improve from the CGC translite as well as the original CC translite. The part # is 31-1357-50066M. Each reseller will likely get a small number of glasses in a round robin approach until we get everyone handled. There will be a glass for you if you are a CCR customer and you want one, so don't stress out about it.

Please let your reseller reach out to you as they will have some logistics to figure out and see how many glasses they receive at what timing.

Team PPS

CCR1 (resized).jpgCCR1 (resized).jpgCCR2 (resized).jpgCCR2 (resized).jpgCCR3 (resized).jpgCCR3 (resized).jpgCCR4 (resized).jpgCCR4 (resized).jpg
#3031 1 year ago

As requested by LTG ...

I published a pet magazine for 12 years. Removed the vinyl wrap but couldn't get rid of Max, our C.E.D. (Chief Executive Dog).

Now, the former Pet-Mobile is my Pin-Mobile!

20200902_193635 (resized).jpg20200902_193635 (resized).jpg20200903_183304 (resized).jpg20200903_183304 (resized).jpgMax-9mos (resized).jpegMax-9mos (resized).jpeg

#3032 1 year ago

As requested by LTG ...
I published a pet magazine for 12 years. Removed the vinyl wrap but couldn't get rid of Max, our C.E.D. (Chief Executive Dog).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is so cool!!!

#3033 1 year ago

That is cool! Great Mascot!

#3034 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Unfortunately the clear is not the same as used in the 90's. No longer allowed.

I thought someone from CGC said at the expo presentation that the Clearcoat was the same formula as Diamondplate. But I can't recall for sure...I've heard conflicting stories on this and would love to know the answer.

#3035 1 year ago

As requested by LTG ...

Thank you !

#3036 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I've heard conflicting stories on this and would love to know the answer.

In recent times, chemicals used in automotive clear coats, have changed because some were banned for health or environmental reasons.

Diamondplate was an automotive clear coat used by Williams, one coat.

Chicago Gaming has kept up with the times and uses a current automotive clear coat. Only difference is they put two coats on their playfields.

#3037 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I thought someone from CGC said at the expo presentation that the Clearcoat was the same formula as Diamondplate. But I can't recall for sure...I've heard conflicting stories on this and would love to know the answer.

I had heard years ago that Diamond plate clear coat could no longer be made the exact same way because one of the ingredients caused cancer when making it and was banned. Not sure if the story is true or not, just what I heard.

#3038 1 year ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

I had heard years ago that Diamond plate clear coat could no longer be made the exact same way because one of the ingredients caused cancer when making it and was banned.

This. Paints, clear coats and varnishes have changed quite a bit due to EPA regulations.

#3039 1 year ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

I had heard years ago that Diamond plate clear coat could no longer be made the exact same way because one of the ingredients caused cancer when making it and was banned. Not sure if the story is true or not, just what I heard.

Lawlor still tells the Diamondplate story this way.. that it was really toxic (even at TPF recently).

The truth is probably in the middle somewhere... 'so nasty that people don't want to deal with it' vs 'banned'

#3040 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

This. Paints, clear coats and varnishes have changed quite a bit due to EPA regulations.

I found the post from Doug - it was over in the old hype thread. It sounds like he is saying it's the same formula:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread/page/76#post-6598704

#3041 1 year ago

I'm glad everyone likes the cacti. Unfortunately, you can't buy them, but here is how I made them.

I took a standard green dome and cut the base off. (Dremel) Kept the base and tossed the top part. I then took a 1 3/16" green insert and drilled a large hole in the middle. This size was a close enough fit for the dome base. Next I bought a string of cactus lights from Amazon. I took a few of the cacti off the string and cut the bottom off. The lights on this sting connected into the top of the cacti so I filled the hole left by removing the light with the tip cut off of a different cactus. I cut the bottom off of the cactus and drilled the hole in the insert to better allow the light through with the hole in the insert being the approximate size of the cactus base so the cactus could slip into the hole. I epoxied (a very small amount) it all together and you see the result.

The one in the video and the one in the back right corner are full sized. The flasher on the right side mid playfield I had to construct a much smaller cactus for it to fit under the glass.

I feel Chicago Gaming did a great job with Cactus Canyon, but when it occurred to me to do this I also thought it should have come this way. Perhaps someone like mezelmods will take notice and fabricate and sell a more polished version. I know they already have the moonshine jug.

#3042 1 year ago
Quoted from PPS:

All ... the CCR Mirrored Backglasses will start shipping in the next few days to resellers and will then be available thru your reseller.

Thanks for the update PPS - this is going to look stunning on the game!

One thing easy to overlook - this is a real old school mirrored backglass - actual mirror - not simulated using silkscreen ink (like Stern does) so they take more time to produce.

I’ve updated the FAQ entry but one question I get a lot is “Can I still get one if I wasn’t in the December preorder?” - Yup.
If it wasn’t clear in Rick’s post, you can still order these through your distributor as long as you already have your game or have a confirmed game order.

IMO, if you aren’t going with the alternate art, this is a must have addition - especially for the LE - and well worth the additional $250.

#3043 1 year ago

That's just ridogulous !
way cool .....

#3044 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

IMO, if you aren’t going with the alternate art, this is a must have addition - especially the LE - and well worth the additional $250.

Totally agree. I got the Brian Allen art print and love it but decided to stick with the "old school" Youssi artwork and I think the mirrored version really looks great -- easily worth the extra $250. Can't wait to get it!

#3045 1 year ago

Just FYI... The email I got from PPS says the price is $265 + Shipping (Fedex)

#3046 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yeah it bummed me out big-time this was supposed to be my game off of doing all the stuff I had to do before playing and problem free due to great quality and I jinxed it by raving them now along with my missing power cord it's my 3rd problem in 1 month as m game sits on the harbor freight stand off its legs with 37 plays. I did put 4 of the same fiber washers on the orbits I could easily reach after the fact. They didn't look over torqued before or i would've done that im hoping it was just a random pinball thing not a sign of things to come so I'm going to stop blaming myself. Like I said its behind rail and hard to see but I'm a real stickler I don't think it was there before when I inspected the rails or I would've noticed.

20220623_173347 (resized).jpg20220623_173347 (resized).jpg
#3047 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Just FYI... The email I got from PPS says the price is $265 + Shipping (Fedex)

Thanks. Looks like I saved 6% by buying in December.

#3048 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Thanks. Looks like I saved 6% by buying in December.

Did you buy through PPS? I thought I was on the day 1 list. It's been so long I forgot if I paid for it or just said I wanted one, but the email I got today said $265.

Update:
I just checked my PPS email from Dec. It says $249. I sent Sara an email about it.

#3049 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Did you buy through PPS? I thought I was on the day 1 list. It's been so long I forgot if I paid for it or just said I wanted one, but the email I got today said $265.

No, I got an LE through another distributor before I knew if I had one from PPS so I didn’t get my backglass from PPS. I paid for it in early December. Total with tax and shipping was $299.40. (Just looked and the pre-order price of $249.99 is still on the web page).

I suspect price/shipping may vary depending on the distributor and/or buyer’s location, especially for overseas buyers.

#3050 1 year ago

As requested by LTG ...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Should have covered your car in Shag Pile, shaggin wagon, chicks dig it I bet the stereo cost $200 alone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Mantua Township, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,402 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/61?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.