(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,417 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 309.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't worry about needing tech support. PPS/CGC remakes are pretty well built.
LTG : )

But it’s more fun when I get to ask you dumb questions like, “where do I plug in this power cable?…”

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

But it’s more fun when I get to ask you dumb questions like, “where do I plug in this power cable?…”

There’s no electricity in Cactus Canyon.

#103 2 years ago

FROM faq
"
Are there any differences in game play between models?
LE and SE+ games will have additional game play when the interactive Wild West topper is enabled.
All other game play is identical between the three models.
"

Has this been confirmed, my understand was the same game that is played on the topper would be played on the BG? per a post during toppergate

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

FROM faq “LE and SE+ games will have additional game play when the interactive Wild West topper is enabled.”
my understanding was the same game that is played on the topper would be played on the BG?

A poor choice of wording on my part. I don’t believe there is technically “additional” game play. I will reword the answer and also add additional detail as soon as we have a report / video of how the shootout mode plays when the topper is deactivated/not installed.

(Thanks for reading the FAQ and helping to improve it!)

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't worry about needing tech support. PPS/CGC remakes are pretty well built.

One experience:
I’ve had outstanding overall reliability experience with a location AFMRLE that has well over 20k+ plays.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We only received a couple from this small run. By the time we received ours there was already a gameplay video up so I figured there’s no rush for us to open one and sent it out to a waiting customer. Appreciate you enjoying our videos though! Hopefully we will get some video of new releases this quarter.

Bummer I was hoping to see another timed speed run unboxing video, I wanted to see if you could break the record you set on DP!

#107 2 years ago

Is there any way to change the music on this? I think it's the weakest point of the whole game

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Is there any way to change the music on this? I think it's the weakest point of the whole game

I don't have the game to check. I doubt it. You couldn't on the previous three remakes.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

I think it's the weakest point of the whole game

Totally disagree. It's one of my favorites

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Totally disagree. It's one of my favorite

I adore the music. It perfectly evokes the western vibe IMO.

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I adore the music. It perfectly evokes the western vibe IMO.

Exactly!

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

How would you change it?

Some of the original music was a bit repetitive but fit well. And I haven’t heard what David Thiel has added to the game (but expect it’ll be good)

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Turn off game sound. Turn on radio. Play.

#114 2 years ago

I would change it to more spaghetti western. The original music doesn't give me a western vibe at all.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from Triplecdad:

Turn off game sound. Turn on radio. Play.

Is it possible to toggle the music off and keep effects?

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

If it's anything like the previous three games, no.

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Sounds like CC may not be the game for you. Plenty of great games out there. personally I'd never consider paying $8000 minimum for a game that I wanted to turn the sound off but leave the effects on.

#118 2 years ago

I mod all my games

#119 2 years ago

Trust me there is 90s games with way worse sound, try Congo and you’ll be looking to turn the sound off for sure. Cactus canyons is pretty good.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

The original music doesn't give me a western vibe at all.

Quoted from nedry:

Quoted from nedry:

D90AA171-F78B-41AA-BEB7-0992B48F2176.gifD90AA171-F78B-41AA-BEB7-0992B48F2176.gif
#121 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

I mod all my games

Not sure if you're trolling or just very.. interesting.

You have one pin according your account.

You come into an owners thread, that is assuming you purchased this, bashing the games music. The fact that you even had to ask if you can change the music says a lot, actually.

Good luck, man.

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Not sure if you're trolling or just very.. interesting.
You have one pin according your account.
You come into an owners thread, that is assuming you purchased this, bashing the games music. The fact that you even had to ask if you can change the music says a lot, actually.
Good luck, man.

Is it my fault that the music sucks donkey ballz? I guess you are the one with strange tastes! Peace dude

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Is it my fault that the music sucks donkey ballz? I guess you are the one with strange tastes! Peace dude

Nothing wrong with the CC music. It fits the theme imo.

#124 2 years ago

Interesting that you folks find the need to "defend" the music. We can all have different tastes. I am an owner - not a fanboy. There are things I like and dislike about stuff I own. I am weird that way.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Interesting that you folks find the need to "defend" the music. We can all have different tastes. I am an owner - not a fanboy. There are things I like and dislike about stuff I own. I am weird that way.

Interesting that you find the need to "nag on" the music. We can all have different tastes.

See, it goes both ways.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Interesting that you find the need to "nag on" the music. We can all have different tastes.
See, it goes both ways.

I am confused

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

I am confused

Yes but musical tastes aside, as has been stated before, there's currently no way to edit or change sounds/music on CGC games. Either you live with it or don't buy something you dislike.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes but musical tastes aside, as has been stated before, there's currently no way to edit or change sounds/music on CGC games. Either you live with it or don't buy something you dislike.

Wisdom

#129 2 years ago
6A06E2FB-6342-4285-8E12-721D276F15FB (resized).jpeg6A06E2FB-6342-4285-8E12-721D276F15FB (resized).jpeg
#130 2 years ago

Just ignore…easy

#131 2 years ago

No longer need to see nedry post ever again. Ignored.

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

No longer need to see nedry post ever again. Ignored.

Same

#133 2 years ago

Agreed. What the heck it is a remake of a western game from the 90s. I think the music fits really well, its not a music pin.

#134 2 years ago

The Cactus Canyon music emulates the soundtracks of Hollywood and TV westerns, which makes sense given that the theme itself is a riff on American westerns. It wouldn't make sense at all for it to have Ennio Morricone-style spaghetti western music, as great as his soundtracks were.

#135 2 years ago

Going nuts over rumor of David Thiel is involved with music for this title.
The man behind Tron, Iron Man and JJP titles - could be lights out.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

If it’s true David Thiel is doing music for this title I’m going nuts.
The man behind Tron, Iron Man and JJP titles - could be lights out.

It's a remake. The music was already done 24 years ago.

David himself posted that his involvement was minimal and that he only "filled the holes" while respecting the original style. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread/page/114#post-6789911

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's a remake. The music was already done 24 years ago.
David himself posted that he only "filled the holes" while respecting the original style.

I’m happy with original music.
Holes or not I’ll take it.
That guy absolutely rocks.

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

To quote the call out from Jurassic Park. "Why would Nedry do this?" Having played this pin, I think the music is just fine. It's not a music pin after all, it's a remake of a classic that was never "finished". I think most of us who have one ordered are very excited to get this pin and I have even higher hopes for the Lyman (RIP) code enhancement.

#139 2 years ago

Agree. It’s a western theme with western music. It’s a long wait but will be worth it going on CGC pat reputation. I’ve owned fully restored originals that I’ve still had to pull the bonnet repeatedly. Rarely on the remakes after a quick dial in. Just play and enjoy.

Can’t wait, but I will

#140 2 years ago
450px-Listening_to_Trash_(night) (resized).jpg450px-Listening_to_Trash_(night) (resized).jpg
#141 2 years ago

While we wait for unboxing pics which should be here soon —

My commentary added to the FAQ after listening to a recent interview with Josh:

“After Lyman’s passing in January 2022, Josh indicated the project would continue noting how proud Lyman was with what they had accomplished and that he would want the community to enjoy the update.

Lyman and Josh had worked from the Start button backwards (i.e. what the player sees) so all the concepts and much of the code were done. Josh saw first hand how Lyman wasn’t so much a programmer as a director of a movie or conductor of a symphony involved in all aspects of the game. He would put rules in, storyboard art, tweak the rules to the art and then add in sounds working with the art and music folks to ensure everything was timed perfectly. Lyman was committed to ensuring the entertainment value was top notch and that polish, charm and nuance of choice was important.”

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

While we wait for unboxing pics which should be here soon —
My commentary added to the FAQ after listening to a recent interview with Josh:
“After Lyman’s passing in January 2022, Josh indicated the project would continue noting how proud Lyman was with what they had accomplished and that he would want the community to enjoy the update.
Lyman and Josh had worked from the Start button backwards (i.e. what the player sees) so all the concepts and much of the code were done. Josh saw first hand how Lyman wasn’t so much a programmer as a director of a movie or conductor of a symphony involved in all aspects of the game. He would put rules in, storyboard art, tweet the rules to the art and then add in sounds working with the art and music folks to ensure everything was timed perfectly. Lyman was committed to ensuring the entertainment value was top notch and that polish, charm and nuisance of choice was important.”

\Hate to be the grammar police but the errors are significant in the way they change the meaning. TWEAK the rules as opposed to TWEET. And NUANCE instead of NUISANCE. Makes all the difference in the world

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

\Hate to be the grammar police but the errors are significant in the way they change the meaning. TWEAK the rules as opposed to TWEET. And NUANCE instead of NUISANCE. Makes all the difference in the world

I appreciate the grammar police - Thanks for pointing out the typos! Fixed. Big differences indeed.

#144 2 years ago

Sounds like CCr is going to be epic. The final game in the Lyman chapter of pinball!

#146 2 years ago

My tracking number was sent today! Can’t wait!

#147 2 years ago

All these posts with games shipping are making me very thirsty.

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

My tracking number was sent today! Can’t wait!

Please post pics here when you get it. The other thread is for the hype; this one is for the reality

#149 2 years ago

I was hoping we might see hints if the playfields were ready for optional hardware.

I don’t see mounting space for any type of mechanism similar to the original saloon doors under the playfield or any related mounting holes though it looks like a top mount solution may be possible. Anyone see otherwise?

32082B6A-8B97-4F27-B739-1D995BD24CA8 (resized).jpeg32082B6A-8B97-4F27-B739-1D995BD24CA8 (resized).jpeg779FC893-2048-4AF6-94FF-2C22004CE187 (resized).jpeg779FC893-2048-4AF6-94FF-2C22004CE187 (resized).jpeg

#150 2 years ago

Nope nothing there, it would be major surgery.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
7,000 (Firm)
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.