(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,417 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 309.
#11851 12 months ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

I hate to have to tell you this but you're the only one bitching, moaning, whining and complaining...

and editing his posts after users reply...

#11852 12 months ago
Quoted from pch3727:

and editing his posts after users reply...

I was editing before you replied. But saw your reply after I clicked save. I took nothing out, just expanded a bit.

#11853 12 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

You need to adjust your metal inlane guide by raising it out of the playfield or lowering it in a bit. The closer it is to the balls equator the further the ball will be pushed out eliminating the hop. Had this issue on my game and was a none issue to get dialed in. This is a very common adjustment on a pinball machine so its a good time to learn it.

Back to ball hop gate for a second.

I noticed that I do indeed have some ball hop and now I can’t get it out of my head and I’m trying to fix it. I noticed that the in-line ball guide(rail) curves near the Flipper such that the contact point with the ball lowers right before the ball leaves the rail. This gives the ball a slightly lower/downward trajectory as it leaves the rail which seems to increase the ball hop.

My theory is that raising the ball guide above the center of the ball might actually be beneficial as a result of reversing the ball motion. As the ball gets to the curve in the rail, the ball with move away (higher trajectory) from the flipper slightly which if adjusted correctly might avoid the bounce off of the flipper rubber.

Any thoughts before I try this?

#11855 12 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

lol ....

the game with the most gates !

#11856 12 months ago

Installed the LCD surround magnet. Looks great (a little of a PITA to installed because it has to go under the silver speaker cutouts.
IMG_6642 (resized).jpegIMG_6642 (resized).jpegIMG_6643 (resized).jpegIMG_6643 (resized).jpeg

#11857 12 months ago

Chicago Gaming Company Expanded Code for Cactus Canyon Still Coming, Not Close to Being Ready
Fans and owners of Chicago Gaming Company's Cactus Canyon Remake have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of new, expanded code and possibly some other sort of related mod such as rumored saloon doors that go in front of Bart for quite some time. The new code was the last project that was worked on by the legendary pinball coder Lyman Sheats prior to his tragic passing, making it even more anticipated. From the sounds of it Cactus Canyon Remake owners are going to have to wait a while longer.

Josh Sharpe, who was working with Lyman on designing the expanded code for the game, stated on Pinside yesterday and again this morning that while much of the new code is done, "much is left to implement. The rules design is complete. The code is not. The art is not. The sounds and speech are not." He went on to add "There's still a good amount of work to be done." No specific timetable was given for the expansion's arrival, Josh stated that while it's possible, he wouldn't count on it being ready this year.

#11858 12 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I noticed that I do indeed have some ball hop and now I can’t get it out of my head and I’m trying to fix it. I noticed that the in-line ball guide(rail) curves near the Flipper such that the contact point with the ball lowers right before the ball leaves the rail. This gives the ball a slightly lower/downward trajectory as it leaves the rail which seems to increase the ball hop.
My theory is that raising the ball guide above the center of the ball might actually be beneficial as a result of reversing the ball motion. As the ball gets to the curve in the rail, the ball with move away (higher trajectory) from the flipper slightly which if adjusted correctly might avoid the bounce off of the flipper rubber.

Raise it a little at a time and test. You are on the right track with your thinking.

Oh just to stay on topic… the update should be free and should magically be on my machine the next time I power it up.

#11859 12 months ago

That’s kinda crappy of Jason from Knapp to scoop this story and turn it into a negative. Most of us are excited for the eventual release of the extended code and even Josh said he was anxious to get the rest of what is designed into the game. We were never promised a timeframe by Ryan, Josh or anyone. Lyman’s passing severely changed the course of this project and all of us can be patient while we wait for CGC to do justice to Lyman’s legacy and his final rules design. Shame on Jason and sorry to Josh since no good deed goes unpunished.

#11860 12 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Installed the LCD surround magnet. Looks great (a little of a PITA to installed because it has to go under the silver speaker cutouts.

Good to know. Nothing is ever quite as simple or easy as I am ever hoping or expecting it to be.

My order from Wizmods (which includes the LCD surround magnet and the coindoor magnet) shipped out on April 4th so, hopefully, it will arrive soon. I'm still going to hope that dealing with the silver speaker cutouts won't be too big of a huge hassle! Seeing how good yours looks, it will still be worth the extra effort.

#11861 12 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

That’s kinda crappy of Jason from Knapp to scoop this story and turn it into a negative.

Where in the article did I say anything negative about Cactus Canyon, Chicago Gaming Company or the extended code? I hate to break it to you, but I'm one of the least negative people who write or talk about the hobby. I often get criticized for not being hard enough on manufacturers. All I said was that the code isn't close to being ready and I believe that to be true. I reported exactly what happed, nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

#11862 12 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Where in the article did I say anything negative about Cactus Canyon, Chicago Gaming Company or the extended code? I hate to break it to you, but I'm one of the least negative people who write or talk about the hobby. I often get criticized for not being hard enough on manufacturers. All I said was that the code isn't close to being ready and I believe that to be true. I reported exactly what happed, nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

This is Pinside.

We are immune to rationality, logic and common sense...

#11863 12 months ago

I am grateful that Knapp actually SHARED some details that I was not aware of. I would rather have a date, even if its not the date I wanted. The added detail was gravy. Anyone that criticizes a informative source in a negative way, just because they said it like it is needs to change their attitude. I am looking forward to when my LE finally ships to me. Next year will be here before you know it. I try to focus on things from a glass half full prospective. I tend to be happier when I do.

#11864 12 months ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I am grateful that Knapp actually SHARED some details that I was not aware of. I would rather have a date, even if its not the date I wanted. The added detail was gravy. Anyone that criticizes a informative source in a negative way, just because they said it like it is needs to change their attitude. I am looking forward to when my LE finally ships to me. Next year will be here before you know it. I try to focus on things from a glass half full prospective. I tend to be happier when I do.

Did they provide a date? I must have missed that part.

#11865 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No - just a screenshot of the comments earlier in the thread.

#11866 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No specific timetable was given for the expansion's arrival, Josh stated that while it's possible, he wouldn't count on it being ready this year.

#11867 12 months ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

No specific timetable was given for the expansion's arrival, Josh stated that while it's possible, he wouldn't count on it being ready this year.

That is a bummer, I was hoping it was done and just waiting on all the LE orders to be filled to offer it up.

#11868 12 months ago

All I said was that the code isn't close to being ready and I believe that to be true.

Connotation and tone aside; you scraped information from a thread conversation that you weren’t involved in, at your convenience, without permission or blessing from those involved to post to your website. Granted Pinside is a public forum that anyone can view, I don’t think it was Josh’s intent to provide you with content for a website that hosts advertising and gets revenue from clicks, etc. He was kind enough to provide answers to questions I generated as an owner and interested party. You as a journalist did zero legwork to build this story.

#11869 12 months ago

This is why we can’t have nice things. A representative from a company comes in, interfaces with the enthusiasts, and now the insight they gave gets put on blast. If you want to make it so we don’t get any info from the horse’s mouth but instead get a watered down white bread PR polished press release, keep it up.

#11870 12 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Connotation and tone aside; you scraped information from a thread conversation that you weren’t involved in, at your convenience, without permission or blessing from those involved to post to your website. Granted Pinside is a public forum that anyone can view, I don’t think it was Josh’s intent to provide you with content for a website that hosts advertising and gets revenue from clicks, etc. He was kind enough to provide answers to questions I generated as an owner and interested party. You as a journalist did zero legwork to build this story.

Haha. Oh yes I’m getting super rich from writing about pinball. The ad revenue barely pays for the hosting of the page. Did zero leg work? That’s where news and information comes from, reading and sifting through tons of information.

You’re acting like Josh whispered sweet secrets in your ears. This is a public forum. Josh isn’t stupid and he has a thick skin. I’m sure that Chicago Gaming Company would rather have potential customers know when a new product is coming out than have people constantly asking them and guessing.

I’ve never seen such nonsense in my life. I work hard to be a positive source of information and to promote the hobby for FREE in an era when everyone in the World is going to Patreon. Then crybabies like you make it almost not worth it. Unbelievable.

#11871 12 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Hey new guy, cool it with the ethics lessons. Josh would probably care less and Knapp has been a good source of information to those who might not visit this forum.

#11872 12 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

This is why we can’t have nice things. A representative from a company comes in, interfaces with the enthusiasts, and now the insight they gave gets put on blast. If you want to make it so we don’t get any info from the horse’s mouth but instead get a watered down white bread PR polished press release, keep it up.

You know what. I need a break from this and especially Pinside. I’m going to take a step back for a few days so you got your wish.

#11873 12 months ago

Knapp_Arcade - Someone posed about acting like 10 year olds in here earlier. Sure seems like name calling fits right in with that. Then you take your toys and leave? Wow! You don’t have permission to use my words in your article for the record.

#11874 12 months ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I am grateful that Knapp actually SHARED some details that I was not aware of.

Really? There was absolutely nothing in the Knapp article that wasn’t already in this thread.

The only truly “new” in recent days - at least for me - was Josh’s thought it won’t be available this year. This tells me that the software resource crunch is more severe than we were led to believe (or Josh managed to get more stuff in the plan). At one point insiders told me there was an outside chance it could be released by the end of 2022 so that would push that by at least a year.

I’m long been in the “I don’t care when; I’ll wait until the Lyman/Josh vision is complete” camp.

#11875 12 months ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

My take on this upgrade is that its pretty far down the CGC priority list ... its already been 16+ months with no end in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get done for a couple years. Kinda unfortunate as I assume many purchased this game with the hopes of playing the new code fairly soon.

#11876 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My take on this upgrade is that its pretty far down the CGC priority list

Wrong.

Everything involved takes time. Programming, testing. Making anything needed for some of the rumored ad ons from scratch and finding companies to make the parts. Not to mention box and instructions.

I wish it was quicker. It is what it is. And they ain't sitting on their hands doing nothing. They want it done too.

LTG : )

#11877 12 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wrong.
Everything involved takes time. Programming, testing. Making anything needed for some of the rumored ad ons from scratch and finding companies to make the parts. Not to mention box and instructions.
I wish it was quicker. It is what it is. And they ain't sitting on their hands doing nothing. They want it done too.

Ok so what your telling me is CGC has been working full time on the design, software, graphics, audio for the last 15 months yet its still not close to being done? Wow I can't wait to see this upgrade as its gonna be off the charts special....I stand corrected

#11878 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Ok so what your telling me is CGC has been working full time on the design, software, graphics, audio for the last 15 months yet its still not close to being done? Wow I can't wait to see this upgrade as its gonna be off the charts special....I stand corrected

Probably bugs. Lots of em. Just ask Spooky. Any changes to programming alters other things. Lyman had a TWD in his home for 6 months doing code updates in his spare time. He was amazing and thorough. No one can replace Lyman but Josh and team are trying. Takes time. Lots of it.

#11879 12 months ago

I'm looking forward to the update/upgrade as much as the rest of you. However. I bought a remake of the last wpc95 game. The game that was basically scrapped for Pinball2000. The remake I bought finished the unfinished and under produced last wpc95 game. This is what I paid for. I get to play and own a game that I probably never would have encountered in the wild. And the quality is off the charts for a lot less money than other "comparable" offerings.

#11880 12 months ago

I’m sure that Chicago Gaming Company would rather have potential customers know when a new product is coming out than have people constantly asking them and guessing.

I agree with everything you've said so far, and I appreciate the work you do and articles/information you post. BUT... anyone in this thread with a sense of humor should see the glaring irony in this one bit of your statement.

#11881 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The brainstorming was done 2 years ago
I'm confident the world will enjoy what we did because I enjoy what's already in it. I'm anxious to get the rest of what's already designed in the game.
Appreciate the "you know what they should do comments" though ... I was a person saying those same things to the design teams since I was a kid

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Much of it is done. Much of it is left to implement. The rules design is complete. The code is not. The art is not. The sounds and speech are not.

There's absolutely another mode that incorporates the train. The CGC team actually had the idea written up before Lyman and I joined the team. We ran with that and incorporated it into what we were building.

Josh, Thanks for coming over here to share this information, I appreciate the teamwork and working with CGC to make a better product, its more like a big ol pinball family.

Thank you!

#11882 12 months ago

Anybody else’s playfield glass fall of the plastic channel onto the top wooden edge of the main cabinet if glass is slid fully over to either the right or the left?

Still waiting to hear back on my CGC support ticket.

From the cabinet/glass measurements a couple people posted here, I’m surprised this hasn’t been noticed by more owners.

#11883 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Where do you get the entire software team has been working on this exclusively for 15 months?

#11884 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Ok so what your telling me is CGC has been working full time

Not quite. You remember a death in there ?

I'm sure that caused a delay into what was done until then, and if and how the project could move forward.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Wow I can't wait to see this upgrade as its gonna be off the charts special....

Glad you finally got one thing right.

#11885 12 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Im on the edge of my seat. Any luck getting that inlane dialed in?

#11886 12 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I’m going to try later tonight.

#11887 12 months ago

In the interest of full disclosure.

0623D94C-C792-4C09-89AF-D9A3DC8FBC1B (resized).jpeg0623D94C-C792-4C09-89AF-D9A3DC8FBC1B (resized).jpeg
#11888 12 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Success!

Here is the baseline ball hop. No bueno.

For reference, the first picture shows the relationship between the inlane guide and the flipper. Almost perfectly aligned.3FCDC9C3-98B2-4E50-8D69-DD6FE2A72373 (resized).jpeg3FCDC9C3-98B2-4E50-8D69-DD6FE2A72373 (resized).jpeg

The second is a before picture of the ball against the guide. Almost perfectly centered.
B531FC28-D175-411A-A72C-D3CFFD7CF25A (resized).jpegB531FC28-D175-411A-A72C-D3CFFD7CF25A (resized).jpeg
Next is the before measurement, followed by the after. I raised it approximately 3mm.21CFDBC8-5B8D-4606-967C-C4BE43B7148C (resized).jpeg21CFDBC8-5B8D-4606-967C-C4BE43B7148C (resized).jpeg666B6714-E977-47E7-9C90-498A29FA3C34 (resized).jpeg666B6714-E977-47E7-9C90-498A29FA3C34 (resized).jpeg
Now you see the difference. The guide is well above the center of the ball.CEBF263F-E037-4976-B7A6-344F13A1B687 (resized).jpegCEBF263F-E037-4976-B7A6-344F13A1B687 (resized).jpeg

And here is the after video. Almost no hop!

Had my flipper position been above the guide this might not have worked(although I suspect it would have still helped) so YMMV. Still worth a shot, though!

#11889 12 months ago

So raising the guide helped the ball hop? What did you do to raise it? I’d like to try that.

#11890 12 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Success!
For reference, the first picture shows the relationship between the inlane guide and the flipper. Almost perfectly aligned.[quoted image]
The second is a before picture of the ball against the guide. Almost perfectly centered.
[quoted image]
Next is the before measurement, followed by the after. I raised it approximately 3mm.[quoted image][quoted image]
Now you see the difference. The guide is well above the center of the ball.[quoted image]
Had my flipper position been above the guide this might not have worked(although I suspect it would have still helped) so YMMV. Still worth a shot, though!

well done and even created a mini guide to help others without knowing it! There’s a new sheriff in town!

#11891 12 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Success!
For reference, the first picture shows the relationship between the inlane guide and the flipper. Almost perfectly aligned.[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Next is the before measurement, followed by the after. I raised it approximately 3mm.[quoted image][quoted image]
Now you see the difference. The guide is well above the center of the ball.[quoted image]

Well done! Get this info to the factory on the double!

#11892 12 months ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Metal Spatula on top of a micro fiber cloth is enough playfield protection. Take a broad flat head screwdriver and lift the guide with a twisting motion between the spatula and lane guide. Other more technical ways to do this but you should have that stuff laying around the house.

audihere basically this.

#11893 12 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

Where do you get the entire software team has been working on this exclusively for 15 months?

He has insider connections !

#11894 12 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Since the unfortunate passing of Lyman the only work that has been done the last 15 months was the putting together of the "to-do list" of what's left to finish the upgrade. The number of people that have been working full time on design, software, graphics and audio has been . . . ZERO.

Everyone on the CGC side was already set with their 2022 plans (Pulp Fiction development among other things). It was on Lyman and myself to pull this through in 2022 and that of course didn't happen.

Now that CGC is through most of that other 2022 work, I'm hopeful that there will be some serious progress made during this year because resources should finally be available.

For the record, there is already a ton of upgraded content that is in the game. IMO there's already enough upgraded content that I feel confident we could ship what's in my game today and people would absolutely enjoy it.

However, I'm not interested in doing 'good enough' on this project, especially regarding the circumstances surrounding it. I owe it Lyman and I owe it to myself to finish off the totality of our complete vision for the game, and that's what I intend on doing regardless of how long it takes to get it done.

#11895 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Since the unfortunate passing of Lyman the only work that has been done the last 15 months was the putting together of the "to-do list" of what's left to finish the upgrade. The number of people that have been working full time on design, software, graphics and audio has been . . . ZERO.
Everyone on the CGC side was already set with their 2022 plans (Pulp Fiction development among other things). It was on Lyman and myself to pull this through in 2022 and that of course didn't happen.
Now that CGC is through most of that other 2022 work, I'm hopeful that there will be some serious progress made during this year because resources should finally be available.
For the record, there is already a ton of upgraded content that is in the game. IMO there's already enough upgraded content that I feel confident we could ship what's in my game today and people would absolutely enjoy it.
However, I'm not interested in doing 'good enough' on this project, especially regarding the circumstances surrounding it. I owe it Lyman and I owe it to myself to finish off the totality of our complete vision for the game, and that's what I intend on doing regardless of how long it takes to get it done.

Well said and thank you for the informative post.

Your time and effort are appreciated.

#11896 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

If you need someone to field test the upgraded software just let me know...

#11897 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Thank you so much for the updates, that is all most of us were looking for. The game is great as is and will be even better when you release the new package. Looking forward to seeing all your hard work come to light!

#11898 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:I owe it Lyman and I owe it to myself to finish off the totality of our complete vision for the game, and that's what I intend on doing regardless of how long it takes to get it done.

What a stud! ifpapinball

It’s refreshing to see someone take pride in what they do. Props to you.

#11899 12 months ago
Quoted from Chubbie:

Anyone know if there’s an adjustment for the ball save timer on both QuickDraw and Gunfight? I’ve had many games where I’ll hit the drop target only to have the ball take half a second or a second longer than the current timer permits but I basically end up with a direct hit then a awkward drain with no chance of avoiding the drain. Makes me want to not try hitting the gunfight drop targets because the risk reward just isn’t there.

New owner as of this week and I'm experiencing the same thing. My last three (made) shots to the drop targets resulted in 3 direct SDTM rebounds with no ball save. Is there supposed to be a ball save timer here? I'm avoiding the shootouts because of this.

#11900 12 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

This paragraph brings a warm feeling to my heart and a smile to my face. I’m excited and look forward to this new kit and code. I believe it’s always nice to have something to look forward to and this is definitely something…thanks for the update!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 210.00
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, CT
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

There are 15,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/238?hl=ripit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.