(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,415 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by rockrand
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 309.
#9001 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Out of the box, my SE had the flippers angled way too high. Once I aligned them with the guide rails it made the shots a lot more intuitive.
I still have a little hop when the ball rolls down slowly, but usually not when the ball rolls down either ramp into the inlane.

same here

#9002 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

You'll hear recommendations for the keyless entry option. I'm not a fan as unless your lock cylinder is super tight or you never bump your coin door, it'll irritate you (and leave your games open to anyone you have over to fiddle with). If you bump your coin door, the catch on the cylinder drops from gravity and your door swings open. Usually mid game and usually during a great game.

You must've had some pretty poor keyless locks. As I've never had any open from gravity. You can also just bend the metal piece between two vice grip pliers so that you don't have any door wiggles. Also, you might have some rubbish guests if people just start rummaging through your games.

#9003 1 year ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

lol. About 125 LEs have gone out in about 8 weeks with two weeks of downtime. The math says 20-25 games per week. 70 games per week is pretty funny, but not really.

There is almost zero chance CGC can pump out 70 LE's/week on a consistent basis. My intel is they will take another 6-8 months to get them out barring any unforeseen issues, which CGC is famous for.

#9004 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

There is almost zero chance CGC can pump out 70 LE's/week on a consistent basis. My intel is they will take another 6-8 months to get them out barring any unforeseen issues, which CGC is famous for.

Maybe not, though your intel is probably not as current as mine. CCr is the first game run on the updated line and we don’t have months of data at running over ~40 yet. Let’s see where we are in April.

#9005 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Maybe not, though your intel is probably not as current as mine. CCr is the first game run on the updated line and we don’t have months of data at running over ~40 yet. Let’s see where we are in April.

I agree we'll know more in several months, but my intel is very current (like this week)...

#9006 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Maybe not, though your intel is probably not as current as mine. CCr is the first game run on the updated line and we don’t have months of data at running over ~40 yet.

InkedKYLE_PERFORMING_AT_FIRST_EAGLES_GAME.0 (resized).jpgInkedKYLE_PERFORMING_AT_FIRST_EAGLES_GAME.0 (resized).jpg
#9007 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:You'll hear recommendations for the keyless entry option. I'm not a fan as unless your lock cylinder is super tight or you never bump your coin door, it'll irritate you (and leave your games open to anyone you have over to fiddle with). If you bump your coin door, the catch on the cylinder drops from gravity and your door swings open. Usually mid game and usually during a great game.

Why not just tighten the lock by bending the latch so it holds against the door tighter? Just take a pair of pliers and tweak it. Then the lock will not rotate as easily.

Also most barrel locks will allow you to change the home and rotation so you can make the lock and open positions different. So you can make it so you don’t go down to open. I haven’t looked recently… but i’d expect the same on the keyless ones.

#9008 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I agree we'll know more in several months, but my intel is very current (like this week)...

As I said, yours isn’t as current as mine.

If you are interested in a friendly bet on production, PM me.

#9009 1 year ago

In regards to keyless locks, the ones I have purchased from Amazon had issues and were not the same quality as the ones from Marco or Pinball Life. The Amazon locks would vibrate open and the doors were loose and rattled. The locks from Marco and PBL keep the door tight and kind of "click" into place when closed and wont vibrate open. I put them on all my pins and just swap the keyed lock back in if I sell the game.

These are my favorite.

https://www.pinballlife.com/keyless-coin-door-lock.html

#9010 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

There is almost zero chance CGC can pump out 70 LE's/week on a consistent basis

Agree
More than 7 a week is a huge win at this point!

#9011 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

As I said, yours isn’t as current as mine.

Well I don't know your sources, but all I can say is your past estimates have been off by a mile....if I remember correctly your "Intel" was telling u these would start shipping last March....so bring on all the bets you want

#9012 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Agree
More than 7 a week is a huge win at this point!

Thats a good week for CGC

#9013 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

You'll hear recommendations for the keyless entry option. I'm not a fan as unless your lock cylinder is super tight or you never bump your coin door, it'll irritate you (and leave your games open to anyone you have over to fiddle with). If you bump your coin door, the catch on the cylinder drops from gravity and your door swings open. Usually mid game and usually during a great game.

Just for the record, the only keyless lock I bought was from Pinballlife.com, and the mechanism feels like it's spring-loaded. Bumps and or brushes against the mech won't cause it to unlock. I just didn’t buy more because I like having my keys w custom key fobs hanging in the game door.

#9014 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

My solution for overall ease and my own sanity (not even to protect against loosing keys), is to buy 20 (or whatever the max number of pins you'll ever possibly own at one time is) keyed alike double bitted lock cylinders. When I get a new pin, I swap in my cylinder and stash the one it came with in the coin box. When I go to sell it, I put the original back in and move my keyed alike one back into my stash for the next pin.
I bought all mine way back in the day from Terry from PBL. I just had to specify that I wanted all the same cylinder. The best part is that while I have 20 sets of keys (because each lock comes with 2), I only need 1 key that I have in a set location in my game room. If I loose that one, I have 39 more backup keys.

I use pinball life ones, have never had this issue 1 time. I have 4 grandkids, aged 3 to 11 and told them to not open door or else! . But , nothing wrong with your idea either.

#9015 1 year ago

Gambling is not allowed in this thread…please refer to the FAQ’s!!!

#9016 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Well I don't know your sources, but all I can say is your past estimates have been off by a mile....if I remember correctly your "Intel" was telling u these would start shipping last March....so bring on all the bets you want

Kaboom mic drop

#9017 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I’m buying this game because I want a game of the depth of 90s games. I don’t want another Godzilla depth game in my collection. I need something with charm, humor, and appealing to a wide audience for friends and guests. Every game fits a different need.

Very valid point and certainly respected.

Just to be clear my expectations for code are not at the level that Stern Pinball can deliver.
Stern Pinball is no doubt the king of code. Watching the advancements and team building at code level within Stern Pinball has been extraordinary.

In no way do I expect the extreme level of code from CGC and PPS with CCr.

It is however a little concerning to read that a mode may completed in one shot ?

Perhaps I'm over thinking it and need to be patient for a new announcement.
I'm sure Josh is all over it. I'm still reeling over Lymans departure. Full respect to family and friends.

For me the B/W 90's pins were the greatest , with original themes, incredible art, wonderful humour ( especially the subtle innuendo that was allowed back then )

Have to say I am extremely grateful to have the opportunity to own a CCr , thanks to CGC and PPS.

#9018 1 year ago

I’m probably on my own on this, but I like to have B/W games in my home to play everyday, but enjoy to come across stern titles on site for a different perspective.

#9019 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

#98 has finally landed. FedEx did a number on the box, but the machine survived.
Had to Macgyver a little spacer to properly gap the auto-launcher, because as installed, the shooter rod was making contact with the auto-launcher and killing its momentum resulting in weak plunges. So weak that the ball wasn't making it to the skill shot maelstrom.
Build quality is just like all of the other CGC games.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dude, your game room is awesome! What a nice collection of arcade fun. Congrats!

#9020 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

You must've had some pretty poor keyless locks. As I've never had any open from gravity. You can also just bend the metal piece between two vice grip pliers so that you don't have any door wiggles. Also, you might have some rubbish guests if people just start rummaging through your games.

Kids will be kids. Shiny objects, levers, buttons, etc. attract kids better than pins do unfortunately.

#9021 1 year ago
Quoted from evh347:

#98 has finally landed. FedEx did a number on the box, but the machine survived.
Had to Macgyver a little spacer to properly gap the auto-launcher, because as installed, the shooter rod was making contact with the auto-launcher and killing its momentum resulting in weak plunges. So weak that the ball wasn't making it to the skill shot maelstrom.
Build quality is just like all of the other CGC games.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice setup....we have the same dart board in our game room....gets a lot of play...

#9022 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

It is however a little concerning to read that a mode may completed in one shot ?

It's has the medieval madness kind rules. Hit a shot 4 times to start a mode on that shot. Those modes proceed as follows.

The left orbit mode is ~30 seconds of pop giving you bonus.
The left ramp mode is completed by shooting the left ramp once.
The train mode is completed by shooting the two side ramps than center ramp.
The right orbit shot has a moving shot. If you hit the right shot, it's also done in one shot.
The right ramp mode I believe is a single shot randomly selected to complete.

On top of that, you're working through the Bart's. The new Bionic Bart mode is great.

As well as completing the all the bad guy drops for a mode and completing combos.

I think the main thing that puts CC code on a lower level than the other games CGC has done, is that the modes don't really stack. Once you start one, most things are essentially backgrounded until it's completed. Even things like Combos appear to be backgrounded.

It also doesn't really present the player with many risk/reward options that a lot of the better games of that era had. Such as in MB or Medieval where you try to build up a really big mode with a multiball.

Realistically, the game probably does have an equivalent amount of code as other WMS games of the era. It's just not orchestrated as well as a Lyman game. It's really missing his choreography. He had a way of making things easy to comprehend for the beginner players while adding a layer of complexity for the better players.

I still believe the Lyman expansion will transform this game from being good to great. There aren't many people that understand game rules more than Josh Sharpe. I'm sure he'll be able to finish what him and Lyman started.

#9023 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

All the modes except for Train rescue 'can' be completed with one shot, train takes 3. But they don't have to be and more points to be had by hitting the other shots, I think it's 3 shots available for each of River Rescue, Bank Robbery, and Trick Shot. Ride 'Em Cowboy is pops based so any shot into the pops except the horse loop (left orbit) will add points, horse loop is the one shot that ends it.

The modes can also be 'completed' by holding the ball on a flipper and timing them out, there is no requirement to be successful at the 5 modes to start Stampede and get that point of the star, you just have to start them, of course you don't get many points for doing it this way.

#9024 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

LTG Took board out and new battery. The new battery had crud on it as well. The battery holder has white power type crud in it. Cleaned as best I could with 70 percent alcohol carefully. Put battery back in and tested. Turned game off and back on after 30 mins or so. Time was 45 mins behind. Opening ticket for new board I guess. Also, the one connector bottom left had the very last pin on far left OVER the connector so that pin was bent upwards. Nothing is in slot 1 on connector so no apparent problem to game play but was surprised to see that. Also top of inside back box has weird oil type wiping that could not get off. Not sure what that is. Seems odd. Added some pics. Recommend all check battery. Oct 13, 2022 build date.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had this same thing happen with my NIB MMrSE. Trouble shot it for about 6 months and it was finally determined that I needed a new board. The replacement board has worked without issue for the last 2+ years.

20200304_162010 (resized).jpg20200304_162010 (resized).jpg
#9025 1 year ago

My LE #120 just arrived!
First thing I’ve noticed is that the cabinet decals have been trimmed from around the legs. Is this new? I’m not picky…but I would have preferred the decals not be trimmed.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9026 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

My LE #120 just arrived!
First thing I’ve noticed is that the cabinet decals have been trimmed from around the legs. Is this new?

Yes. That was done when the new leg guards were introduced to prevent/minimize decal damage that happened with some games in the initial SE run.

Congrats on your new game!

#9027 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:As I said, yours isn’t as current as mine.

LOL

#9028 1 year ago

+1 on Bionic Bart mode. Only been to the mode once, but it’s awesome.

I love the visual timer of the train moving. My other favorite timer is the heartbeat sound on Scared Stiff. Something magical about a secondary countdown timer in addition to the display screen. Looking at a screen under pressure is not ideal IMO.

#9029 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

They are basically hurry ups - not a foreign concept. And this isn't every mode.

Do you freak out that AFM has 'modes' that can be completed with a single shot? aka hurry up at the saucer after completing all three lights at a shot? It's basically that game mechanic, but more advanced.

The short answer is.. 'mode' is not the right descriptor for these game mechanics.

The game is pretty shallow - always has been. The CGC code flushes out the game more so there are less gaps, but it's essentially the same core WMS game. It's in the same vein as AFM, MM, MB, SS in terms of rules/complexity. Do a bunch of stuff to try to get completion goals.

#9030 1 year ago

Here's a super short video showing the trough "shim" that can make sure the balls always roll down to the end. This issue is due to the original design of the Williams trough. On my CCr I noticed within the first few hundred games that sometimes the solenoid would fire but the ball wouldn't appear in the shooter lane. Of course the game quickly recognizes this and fires the solenoid again. The ball would then successfully be put into the shooter lane. It didn't happen always but enough that the $8 for the shim was certainly worth it.

Pinball Mayhem Jeremy

#9031 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I think the main thing that puts CC code on a lower level than the other games CGC has done, is that the modes don't really stack.

The main stacking you can do in CCR is with the Gold Mine multiball. You can start that during any of the main modes (except during other multi-balls) and it can give you a huge advantage for building up points during Bionic Bart. Otherwise, I don't think the current rule set would gain anything from stacking modes, each has a clear objective and it would just get muddied up. Like in MB, when you start a mode you can still hit any other shot and I think that takes away a little. Super excited to see what's in the expanded code.

#9032 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Here's a super short video showing the trough "shim" that can make sure the balls always roll down to the end. This issue is due to the original design of the Williams trough

It's not due to the original design of the Williams trough - it was a fix for wear issues in the trough. The reason for the shim's invention was to deal with the trough forming divots that would prevent the balls from falling down reliably. The fix was to file out the deformations so balls would fall freely - this shim was invented to be the simpler solution for those non-mechanically inclined. The plastic just spans the wear area and doesn't wear itself the same.

There should be no reason for this in a new game unless the trough itself is not formed properly.. or edges causing the ball not to roll. It shouldn't have divots or edges preventing the balls from dropping reliably in a new game.

Kerry's trough design was an example of how the open slot design was re-imagined into something that didn't wear into divots - http://www.mantisamusements.com/trough.htm

#9033 1 year ago

Beer mug rod sticking solved! Thanks to explosiveegg on where to look.

The switch plate was too far back, pushing the rod against the edge of the ramp protector.

Loosen the Phillips screw and pull the switch plate forward a bit.

13554260-27CC-43B0-B06F-93494923282D (resized).jpeg13554260-27CC-43B0-B06F-93494923282D (resized).jpeg
#9034 1 year ago

What is everyone doing to reduce binding when pulling back the ball plunger? I have other games with a plunger, but the drag/binding is noticeable on CCr. Out of alignment?

#9035 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Beer mug rod sticking solved! Thanks to explosiveegg on where to look.

And we now have another FAQ entry …

#9036 1 year ago

So the default setting is to run the Extended code, right? Is there any reason to play the original code? Is the original code the same but incomplete? Or is it different with different animations, etc?

#9037 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

So the default setting is to run the Extended code, right? Is there any reason to play the original code? Is the original code the same but incomplete? Or is it different with different animations, etc?

The default “extended” code completes the original code as the Bally design team intended. As implied by the name it extends the original by filling in missing pieces. The animations aren’t different (excluding the changes CGC made for the larger color display). Instructions on how to play the original code with the original dots in the FAQ along with more detail on the software versions/history.

Most will probably never play the original code, just as most won’t play the extended code when the Lyman/Josh code is available as they each build on the previous level though it may be fun from time to time.

#9038 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

The original code is the same, but incomplete. I don't think the original had a Bionic Bart, a skill shot, and a match sequence. Though I'm not too familiar with the original.

If you put the game on original code without the color display. You can see the original dots.

#9039 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

My LE #120 just arrived!
First thing I’ve noticed is that the cabinet decals have been trimmed from around the legs. Is this new? I’m not picky…but I would have preferred the decals not be trimmed.
[quoted image]

Probably a smart solution...I think Stern / JJP do the same thing

#9040 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

y LE #120 just arrived!

I agree ... even though the legs cover the missing decal , looks like crap! plus full decals have been going on games for years cant see why they would start this now, other than having to replace decal sets !

#9041 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I agree ... even though the legs cover the missing decal , looks like crap! plus full decals have been going on games for years cant see why they would start this now, other than having to replace decal sets !

I'm beginning to think you'll never be happy

#9042 1 year ago

If it's covered by the legs, who gives 2 shits?

#9043 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

The decals didn't change. The legs and bracket did. This is my first cgc, but all my Stern's are like that as well. I can attach a picture of my May run CCr, and even tho the decal is cut you can clearly see where the leg crimp got to the decal regardless.

20220719_063043 (resized).jpg20220719_063043 (resized).jpg

#9044 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Its not that bad as u can't see it when the legs are installed

#9045 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its not that bad as u can't see it when the legs are installed

I thought the later games corrected this with slightly thicker standoffs, so legs no longer touch artwork. My thought was that if that is true, and I remember someone sliding paper under the leg to prove that there is no contact then there is really no reason to install the black cabinet protectors I bought. Correct?

#9046 1 year ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I thought the later games corrected this with slightly longer standoffs so legs no longer touch artwork.

They are thicker; don’t think they are longer.

#9047 1 year ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I thought the later games corrected this with slightly longer standoffs so legs no longer touch artwork.

They did I can confirm unboxed a September legs are much better and brackets much thicker don't even think it's mathematically possible to hit now not sure how this conspiracy started but the decals haven't changed on any Cactus canyons.

#9048 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

They are thicker; don’t think they are longer.

Correct

#9049 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

What is everyone doing to reduce binding when pulling back the ball plunger? I have other games with a plunger, but the drag/binding is noticeable on CCr. Out of alignment?

I added a little piece of velcro (really any kind of 1/4" type of shim should work) and that gives the auto-launch just enough of a gap to keep the plunger from contacting w/ the auto-launcher on plunge. Haven't had any issuers afterwards.

#9050 1 year ago

At this point JFH if CGC took a shit inside every cabinet before they shipped them to us you would defend them

Because this is precisely what they are doing to all of us customers. Their lack of commuication has been horrible. And now your our commuication cause you are in the know? God help us!

Doug? Are you there? Your PR specialist is killing your brand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, CT
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/181 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.