(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,422 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 minutes ago by rockrand
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,422 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 309.
#801 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The link to the seminar is posted in the FAQ. See “What took so long?”
I’ll have more in-line sometime next week.
Watching that presentation should be required before you can take delivery of your game.

or commenting in this thread, which means i can't yet. off to watch!

#802 2 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

You are absolutely correct. It was Planetary Pinball that ghosted. But I get it, I didn’t contact them as soon as they announced. It was was a bit before. I should have stayed on top of it. I’ll be ready for next time.

I presume you are talking about missing out on an LE. You can still get in “this time” and order an SE or SE+. There are exactly *zero* game play differences between an SE+ and an LE.

#803 2 years ago

watching the video, Butch discussing the artblades made me wonder if the LE's will ship with protectors for lifting up the PF scratch free. GNR CE's came with those and really good ones too. Much better than the pinball universe ones I just got from pinball life.

#804 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

What I am saying is people are still hyped and buying the game despite a lack luster presentation .

Lack lustre ? Well I suppose your entitled to your own opinion; but that’s not the consensus my friend

#805 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I presume you are talking about missing out on an LE. You can still get in “this time” and order an SE or SE+. There are exactly *zero* game play differences between an SE+ and an LE.

I didn’t think the SE+ came with a shaker motor though ? So gameplay will be slightly different in what you experience but yep; essentially the same I suppose

#806 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

I didn’t think the SE+ came with a shaker motor though ? So gameplay will be slightly different in what you experience but yep; essentially the same I suppose

SE+ doesn’t come with shaker; you can certainly add one.

Game play is identical - a shaker motor has no impact on game play and scoring. It adds to the ambiance like the sculpts but that’s it. Game rules/features/shots/scoring are identical between models.

#807 2 years ago

Agree; If I was on an SE+ it’s the first and most important upgrade I would add. While scoring and shots are identical; gameplay experience will be (imo) vastly different due to the shaker. I remember I had a RS for a very short time & the shaker died in it, was even more boring a game after that happened

#808 2 years ago

I am not a fan of shaker motors in most games but the shaker in CCr is used very well; especially so with the topper.

If I was getting an SE+ I’d definitely want a shaker.

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I am not a fan of shaker motors in most games but the shaker in CCr is used very well; especially so with the topper.

If I was getting an SE+ I’d definitely want a shaker.

I'm getting the SE and plan to install a shaker motor to add to overall gameplay experience...

#810 2 years ago

Just had time to catch up last night and watch the seminar. Great presentation, couldn’t be more thrilled with Chicago gaming or the game itself. I’ve had 0 issues with the game and there is a lot of fun settings to go thru. Love being able to change the color on drop targets and stuff, just a really cool feature. After seeing the attention to details on this game, I just love it even more.

#811 2 years ago

Great seminar by Butch. Explains in proper detail what is going on with the game. I am a fan of what they are doing with quality. Some people want the fast bullet version, but if you have money invested in the game, or want to invest, take the time to watch the seminar.

#812 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

I'm getting the SE and plan to install a shaker motor to add to overall gameplay experience...

It's the easiest shaker motor install that I have ever done. There is already a connector waiting for the shaker that makes it look like a very clean install. No looking for the right place to plug it in like on newer Stern machines.

After a couple hundred plays on my SE, the only issue I had was with one drop target. No other issues and the playfield has far fewer divots than my Godzilla or JP.

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not sure if you are kidding but the upgrade kit will be separate. We’ll see LEs before the upgrade kits anyway.

There is some humour in this .... But if its 3 quarter or fourth quarter ... May be more truth in my statement... Aware the kit is seperate, and thank you for the great effort in your posts...
Think you are taking a lot of the guess work out the speculation.

#814 2 years ago

has there been a poll here somewhere?
What is the general consensus here, wondering what is selling more, SE or SE+?

Need to pick one and would be curious to know if the topper will have a significant impact in the next code, my guess is yes...
From a resale point of view, in the future, the Se+ might be easier to sell too? no?

#815 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Need to pick one and would be curious to know if the topper will have a significant impact in the next code, my guess is yes...
From a resale point of view, in the future, the Se+ might be easier to sell too? no?

Definitely from a resale point of view the SE+ will hold a higher resale value than the standard SE. To me it would be a no brainer purchasing the SE+ over the standard SE.

#816 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

If you're concerned about resale than having the topper is probably a big bonus although I'm not sure if they'll sell the topper separately at a later date?

#817 2 years ago

1) playing at TPF. This game is awesome. The perfect remake (aside from saloon doors). Even more pumped about mine. This game is the exact right amount of difficulty in my opinion.

2) the flylanddesigns.com acrylic back glasses alternates are drop dead gorgeous imo. Couldn’t take home with me but def ordered one. They dropped ball by not paying an artist to do an LE specific backglass imo so that’s where flylanddesigns comes in

#818 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

1) playing at TPF. This game is awesome. The perfect remake (aside from saloon doors). Even more pumped about mine. This game is the exact right amount of difficulty in my opinion.
2) the flylanddesigns.com acrylic back glasses alternates are drop dead gorgeous imo. Couldn’t take home with me but def ordered one. They dropped ball by not paying an artist to do an LE specific backglass imo so that’s where flylanddesigns comes in

Quoted from ATLpb:

https://www.flylanddesigns.com/product/cactus-canyon-alternative-acrylic-backglass-limited-edition/

B5CFDA8C-41D8-4E3D-9E6C-F1FB5F96FF68 (resized).pngB5CFDA8C-41D8-4E3D-9E6C-F1FB5F96FF68 (resized).png
#819 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

It's the easiest shaker motor install that I have ever done. There is already a connector waiting for the shaker that makes it look like a very clean install. No looking for the right place to plug it in like on newer Stern machines.
After a couple hundred plays on my SE, the only issue I had was with one drop target. No other issues and the playfield has far fewer divots than my Godzilla or JP.

Do you have a link for the shaker motor you purchased? I'm assuming it's the same shaker motor that works in all the cgc remakes?

#820 2 years ago
Quoted from EmeraldWeapon:

Do you have a link for the shaker motor you purchased? I'm assuming it's the same shaker motor that works in all the cgc remakes?

https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-assembly-for-chicago-gaming.html

#821 2 years ago

I have bought 2 of these from pinball life. It looks to be the exact same one that came in my AFMr SE stock from CGC.

#822 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not sure if they'll sell the topper separately at a later date?

There are no plans to sell the topper separately. A lot of discussion went in to how to make the topper available once they decided to make it available to all. Never say never, but if you want a topper I’d buy an SE+ or convert an SE order to an SE+.

#823 2 years ago

My buddy who has an LE on order was told by his distibutor the SE plus may come before LE now. Has anyone been told the same?

#824 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

My buddy who has an LE on order was told by his distibutor the SE plus may come before LE now. Has anyone been told the same?

Hearing just the opposite. LEs next then the SE+.

I hope at some point they do sell the topper separately. I am still glad I ordered the SE as I would have been happy with a classic version were it available.

#825 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Because there are only a few differences between the LE and SE moving from one to another is fairly simple/quick so it’s quite possible/likely all models won’t be built in a set order.

#826 2 years ago

Until I watched Butch's presentation, I didn't realize how amazing the topper is. I knew about the mechanical action Bart, but I didn't realize there are 8 circuit boards behind the building windows, with illuminated characters that are part of the shootout. Looks pretty great! Two questions: Will we need to purchase the "enhanced" code to get full interactivity with the topper? Has anyone seen the topper in action yet, during the Wild West Shootout mini-game?

#827 2 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Will we need to purchase the "enhanced" code to get full interactivity with the topper? Has anyone seen the topper in action yet, during the Wild West Shootout mini-game?

The enhanced code is included in the game so you already have the interactive part if you have the topper. Obviously you will need to purchase the (future) upgrade kit to get the Lyman/Josh code. Whether there is more interaction with the topper remains to be seen but it’s certainly logical to assume that code would also take advantage of the topper’s capabilities.

I played the topper game. Not very well, but it’s engaging. Will certainly take practice to do well.

The topper and shaker motor are far more integrated into the game experience than I was expecting. It doesn’t just come alive during the shootout game.

#828 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Hearing just the opposite. LEs next then the SE+.

That may not be the case...

Quoted from jfh:

3) One thing Ryan did make clear - there is no “line delineation” between producing SEs or LEs. Moving between either of those two models involves only a handful of skus. To me, this means the original idea most had in November is that we would see a very orderly production of SEs, then all the LEs, then SE+ isn’t necessarily accurate.

This makes sense to me. Keep a relatively balanced flow of all three editions going to the extent possible.

#829 2 years ago

unfortunately Ryan's defense of using distributors to distribute information 'even in the day of internet' in the Connected Pinball seminar was pretty damn awful. (34min mark - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1437660036) Trying to articulate customers calling distributors, so distributors can call CGC is better... no, the point is you EDUCATE your distributors so they don't have to call you each time. You use distributors so you don't have to staff those functions - not because a multi-level telephone game is a more efficient way to pass notes... smh

Also, when you are in sales (even head of it!) - you don't use not knowing your customers as a reason to say its better to talk to someone else. Even if you think it!

CGC are internet dinosaurs... let's hope that's a front they can see an interest in improving. They still take the angle that information generates more questions.. instead of acknowledging well thought out information actually does help.

#830 2 years ago

E7B5CAA5-1D2D-4560-9955-33653F2BA627 (resized).jpegE7B5CAA5-1D2D-4560-9955-33653F2BA627 (resized).jpegLook who I saw just sitting on the floor …

3EBA9B1C-1053-44B1-92C8-B77928F6B8B5 (resized).jpeg3EBA9B1C-1053-44B1-92C8-B77928F6B8B5 (resized).jpeg490DFDE3-92E9-45AE-BB7B-F7FC304488F1 (resized).jpeg490DFDE3-92E9-45AE-BB7B-F7FC304488F1 (resized).jpegD1C8183C-C4FB-4D9E-A7FC-F5B4AC073B6B (resized).jpegD1C8183C-C4FB-4D9E-A7FC-F5B4AC073B6B (resized).jpeg
EC71242C-2FE8-450F-9019-9363811A4F0A (resized).jpegEC71242C-2FE8-450F-9019-9363811A4F0A (resized).jpeg0FA6C4A2-3515-4E26-BBE5-2E9175D2B184 (resized).jpeg0FA6C4A2-3515-4E26-BBE5-2E9175D2B184 (resized).jpeg

#831 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

[quoted image]Look who I saw just sitting on the floor …

Did it fit in your backpack?

#832 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Did it fit in your backpack?

No, but I have a black scooter bag that everyone overlooks

#833 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Look who I saw just sitting on the floor …

Waiting on Ryan to fly him back to Chicago.

LTG : )

#834 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Waiting on Ryan to fly him back to Chicago.

I dunno. Ryan shot him up pretty good in the shootout.

#835 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m not sure that’s a TWIPY award category but thanks for the kind words.
A few things to add today. I spoke at length with Ryan this morning and did my best to get answers some of the outstanding questions. He politely declined to give specifics or confirm hypotheticals I gave him. FWIW, he also did not deny my hypotheticals either
Based the conversation and my reading between the lines I believe the following are reasonable assumptions. These should be considered my opinions and not any position of Chicago Gaming.
1) The upgrade kit might be available near the end of the year. It had already been confirmed that the kit will include both software and hardware component. Unlike some previous upgrade kits I think this should be relatively easy. I suspect the hardware will connect to the open connectors on the main playfield circuit board but I couldn’t get a read on whether my speculation on what the hardware is and how it’s implemented was close or not (so I’m not going to share what I think we are going to see). The schedule for the kit was definitely pushed back after the loss of Lyman, but CGC is absolutely determined to make sure Lyman would have approved and been proud of the final product. And whether or not you decide to buy the upgrade kit, your Cactus Canyon game will have Lyman contributions to code. If you saw Butch’s presentation last night you saw the level of commitment and detail Lyman wanted for the upgrade package. Don’t take that to mean that was all he was interested in and involved with.
2) It seems a logical conclusion that the current run of SE would cover the initial November orders.
3) One thing Ryan did make clear - there is no “line delineation” between producing SEs or LEs. Moving between either of those two models involves only a handful of skus. To me, this means the original idea most had in November is that we would see a very orderly production of SEs, then all the LEs, then SE+ isn’t necessarily accurate. I’ll adjust the OP accordingly in the next few days.
I didn’t ask but the toppers are almost certainly being built on a separate mini line or sub process. This is another reason why the production of the various models has more fluidity than we might expect since an LE topper is identical to an SE+ topper.
4) speaking of the topper - The full height measurement of the game with topper installed is 84”. Ryan specifically use The Addams Family topper as a height reference guideline. However an extra 1/2” is required for the top arc swing of the arms so you need 84.5” for the topper. As someone who has exactly 85” of clearance I exhaled deeply after that part of the conversation.
5) We had a very lengthy discussion about the playfield process much of which was info already in the FAQ. One thing that has been mentioned or alluded to in previous presentations is that CGC has different standards for playfields that go into a Limited Edition verses those for a standard game. Whether that is a standard or a practice it’s pretty clear CGC is paying far more attention to the grades of playfields than anyone else. Even if only a fraction of us could tell the difference Chicago Gaming can and does.
6) Sam Zehr doesn’t get a lot of credit on code. If you know of Sam that’s probably how he wants it. CCr will be correctly remembered as Lyman’s last game but there wouldn’t likely have been CCr (or any of the other remakes) without Sam. I’m sure their are others involved as well.
7) No (useful) comment on production timelines for CCr or any of the other remakes. Previous public comments have indicated an MMr run in 2023.
I didn’t discuss this with Ryan but since Butch confirmed last night that one of the production delays was the inability to get cardboard shipping boxes from their long term supplier, I previously learned there were about 100 games built while waiting for boxes which implies to me we will see a burst of shipments shortly.
Sorry I can’t report more specifics on delivery timeframes but after Butch’s presentation last night I personally absolutely do not care when I get my game as long as when I do it’s the best that it can be. CCr is absolutely going to a case of ‘good things come to those who wait’.

Is there a reason why they want to keep the upgrade hardware under wraps? Would you not sell more machines up front when the momentum is there knowing something extra special will be available in the not to distant future? I would think many more sales were made because of the announcement of the special additional code by Lyman and team, why would this be any different?

#836 2 years ago

Wild West Shootout interactive topper game play on the LE and the SE+ in the extended (aka completed) code shipped with the game and enabled as default.

Topper mode demonstration #1 (About 45 seconds)

Topper mode demonstration #2 (About 75 seconds)

A good sheriff will:
Follow the instructions on the display.
Target bad guys using left or right flipper to follow the LED chaser lights.
Shoot using both flippers simultaneously.

D0CC1B79-2554-4059-A864-C11B4EB3A757 (resized).jpegD0CC1B79-2554-4059-A864-C11B4EB3A757 (resized).jpeg
EB80DBE8-EF85-4168-B072-801B2F51A6CB (resized).pngEB80DBE8-EF85-4168-B072-801B2F51A6CB (resized).png

A good sheriff will not:
Shoot the good citizens of Cactus Canyon!
E94E58DE-71D5-44DC-92E4-66E9D1A7CED0 (resized).pngE94E58DE-71D5-44DC-92E4-66E9D1A7CED0 (resized).png

#837 2 years ago

Links don't seem to be working for me jfh.

#838 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Links don't seem to be working for me jfh.

Reload and try now

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Here are two short videos showing how the shootout mode is played on the interactive topper on the LE and the SE+
"
href=" "
I got a little close in video two but you should get the idea.
Once the mode is started follow the instructions on the display and use the flippers to aim at the bad guys then fire with both flippers.

Looks Cool! Cant wait to play it in my house one day!

#840 2 years ago

Other notes on the topper:

I’d posted this before but 84.5” clearance is required for the topper to function. It’s 84” high but needs an extra half inch for the arms to swing through.

Talk about attention to detail - who the heck is going to see the little dog by the side of the building on a topper seven feet up? Yet it’s there. Very nice touch. This topper is simply part of the game, not just flimsy plastics with a few LEDs.

I didn’t lift the unit so I don’t know it is as solid as say the Elvira topper but the casing isn’t flimsy plastic - it’s seemed to be either wood or metal. And we know from Butch’s presentation that there’s a lot of mechanics and electronics packed in there.

I asked if the topper was going to have a serial or sequence number and/or somehow be matched to the game they ship with. The answer was essentially “we haven’t gotten that far yet” which seemed a little off to me.

The other pics I want to post seem to be stuck in transit. I’ll post as soon as I can.

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Is there a reason why they want to keep the upgrade hardware under wraps? Would you not sell more machines up front when the momentum is there knowing something extra special will be available in the not to distant future? I would think many more sales were made because of the announcement of the special additional code by Lyman and team, why would this be any different?

Because they may not be 100% certain if what they have in mind will work and/or the driver and/or the game code may not be ready. The other factor may be that they don’t want to officially announce the kit until (a) the software is finished and (b) enough hardware units have been produced so kits can ship shortly after announce rather than “this is what will be included but you can’t get it for x months”.

I don’t think anyone is going to change their mind on whether they want the upgrade kit based on what the hardware component is. You either want the additional code or you don’t care. If you are unsure about wanting the kit it’s going to be based on the cost - e.g. “I’m getting it as long as it’s under $x” or “I’m getting it no matter what”. Given how Chicago priced the game I have to believe the cost of the upgrade kit will be quite reasonable.

Just like the game, I’m in no hurry to get it fast. Just get it to me when it’s ready. Doug Duba apparently spent a lot of time/resources/money on the topper concept and so is incredibly invested in making sure it’s right for the game. None of us should be second guessing him.

#842 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

Lack lustre ? Well I suppose your entitled to your own opinion; but that’s not the consensus my friend

I am talking about the one at expo , the one at TPF was great . Everyone is bagging on the expo one and my point is it didn't seem to matter . I am all I'm game looks great !

#843 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Here are two short videos showing how the shootout mode is played on the interactive topper on the LE and the SE+
Topper shootout demonstration #1 (About 45 seconds)
Topper shootout demonstration #2 (About 75 seconds)
I got a little close in the second video but you should get the idea - follow the instructions on the display; use the flippers to target the bad guys using the LED chaser light on the topper; fire with both flippers.

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

#844 2 years ago

I just hope they still do something about those topper arms doing a full, unrealistic 360 movement.
I’m certain there’s a reason; timing, maybe better for the motors (?), but it would really be nice if they could just stop where our human arms usually would. They just look like chicken wings here

74DCB73A-E5DE-4C32-81BC-5F9813DD0343 (resized).jpeg74DCB73A-E5DE-4C32-81BC-5F9813DD0343 (resized).jpeg
#845 2 years ago

It kind of goes with a corny western theme though.

#846 2 years ago

Ok. I see it mentioned, but what is this "upgrade kit"?

I didn't want to plunk down the extra for the SE+ and went with the SE (with upgraded CGC BG and shaker)... The topper sure as heck looks cool.

I think I'm going to kick myself for not opting for the SE+.

#847 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

TBD - It's the 'lyman code' /extended version of the game that will be sold in the future. Expands the original game with new rules/content.

Not to be confuses with what CGC is shipping now - which is the enhanced/polished version of the original WMS game that rounded out the gaps in the original game. This is the remake version shipping with all games.

#848 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I didn't want to plunk down the extra for the SE+ and went with the SE (with upgraded CGC BG and shaker)... The topper sure as heck looks cool.
I think I'm going to kick myself for not opting for the SE+.

Go to FAQs and read

#849 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

It kind of goes with a corny western theme though.

Yea, true. But then I hope the Lyman code hardware has him flipping over and shootin ya while doing a headstand

#850 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

TBD - It's the 'lyman code' /extended version of the game that will be sold in the future. Expands the original game with new rules/content.

And additional hardware that will add to game play and be supported by one or more new modes added in the Lyman/Josh code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,422 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/17?hl=mbrave77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.