moother (resized).png
D38F2F0E-EEFC-482A-8D8C-EECCB1A4D57C (resized).jpeg
cactus-polly (resized).jpg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpg
IMG_2393 (resized).jpg
IMG_2392 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mik-readinguk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#911 9 years ago

I haven't updated my CCC code for several months but I'd love to try Party mode and the hard Gunfight mode. Will I need any extra music or other files?
mike.

#926 9 years ago

I'm coming to the Texas pinfest next month and if I see Eric there I will be forced to buy him a beer. I was thinking of making myself a custom shirt with all the Barts on it or something, to wear at the show
mike.

1 week later
#954 9 years ago

I seem to be having problems with the latest code... Game enters attract mode then almost immediately enters the first part of service mode. It won't respond to enter or exit buttons but will exit the program on keyboard ESC. screenshot below...
mike.

Screenshot from 2015-03-03 15:35:30.pngScreenshot from 2015-03-03 15:35:30.png
#956 9 years ago

I think it must be a hardware issue since it looks like all four coin door switches are stuck on. It played a sound effect on start up and log messages imply that the vol buttons are both pressed in... oh well, some investigating to do...
mike.

2 years later
#1264 6 years ago

Hi,
I've just got my CCC going again after it's W7 PC failed, now running on a RPi3. The only issues I've had are with the LCD alignment due to there being no effect when changing the X,Y offsets, even after rebooting. I fixed that by changing the vertical display size from 32 to 40 in the code which has the effect of moving the window up into position. My second issue is that the sound has a constant fizzing in the background - some sort of bleed-through effect, though it's not so bad if the alsamixer is turned up to full. I noticed the lamp matrix has 3 additional lamps, eg. beer mug, beer GI and Pop Bumpers, not mentioned in the manual. Any info on what these are for?
Cheers...Mike.
PS. Still in awe of Eric's amazing program

#1269 6 years ago

I'll just mention that I have kept notes on the process of using a Raspberry Pi for running the P-ROC code, in case anyone else is looking at doing it in the future. Just drop me a note...

Next up - Making my own beer mug lighting and getting some more backbox LEDs up and running using the GPIO on the Pi
mike.

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think you should specify Raspberry Pi3, not the older Raspberry Pi. You're the first to confirm the Rpi3 works, whereas the Rpi I believe was too slow to run CCC.

I did say RPi3 in my earlier msg #1264 and, yes, I think it is probably the first Pi to run fast enough for the CCC system. It certainly makes for a neater solution, especially if you sneak power from the 12V unreg line

1 week later
#1274 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I thought all rp3 ran off 5vdc

I used one of these... http://www.ebayitem.com/142341633791
mike.

2 years later
#1401 4 years ago

Is it possible to time out the player initials entry screens after no activity, or is that a pyprocgame problem?
mike.

1 year later
#1452 2 years ago

I don't see how you can run CCC with a DMD, since you would need to put the original WPC95 MPU back in to drive the A/V board, or am I misunderstanding something?

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Thats my question... The original AV-Board is installed and the "ripped" CCC Deluxe Station from Banderas is installed with a DMD. And it worked with the version from Banderas. But now the PC is broken and i want to replace the whole thing with the orignal CCC with a new PC.... and drive it with the original DMD.... So in my mind I don't have to change the DMD or any boards - and it should work by setting the right things in the software.

Ah, ok. I had forgotten about the CCEE system, it certainly has a lot of interesting mods available since I last looked. I didn't know it could drive a DMD either. My CCC runs a on a cheap Pi3 and scavenged LCD screen

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The PROC drives the DMD, not the WPC MPU board - CCC generates both signals (DMD and Computer video output) all of the time.

I probably knew that once but time has addled my memory of what the P-Roc can do... thanks Eric.

2 months later
#1471 2 years ago

I've recently been suffering with ball hangups on the Cowboy and spent some time trying to reassemble the mech to make it work better. In the end I just bent the wings up slightly so they didn't foul the metal walls below the head and the problem went away - The occasional stuck ball was cleared pretty quickly by the ball search.

I junked the PC a few years ago and my CCC is now powered by a Raspberry Pi 3.

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Ok. Something is definitely wrong there. Will have to do some disassembly and take a look. Thanks for the info.

I like that idea. Is there an easy-peasy how-to on how to accomplish this?

I basically just compiled the libpinproc and pygame libraries, along with Eric's code and managed to get it working on a Pi3 but that was a couple of years ago now. I tried to do it again on a Pi4 but it would only compile in monochrome DMD - I got errors when I tried to do it in colour. I'm sure Eric will manage it though

I was concerned about the powering/depowering problem with the Pi but my CCC has survived a year or more at my club and hasn't corrupted itself as yet.

#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Do you pull the power for it from the power driver board? or somewhere else?

The Pi takes 5V from the old A/V board connector...keeping it simple.
I do have an external 2.1ch amplifier running off an added 12V PSU, driving some uprated speakers which really belts out the CvA music

#1495 2 years ago

I found some notes I kept from my install on a Pi 3 - copied below (use at your own risk!)

1. Put Raspian light on an 8GB micro SD card and boot the Pi

2. Do the usual updates with "sudo raspi-config", "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade"

3. Install libraries with "sudo apt install"
libftdi-dev cmake python-dev python-yaml libyaml-cpp-dev python-ftdi1 python-pil python-pygame

4. Set up the CCC directories:
mkdir cactuscanyon, cd cactuscanyon, mkdir dmd, mkdir sounds

5. Unzip code, dmd and sound files to their directories.

At this point I had to make an adjustment for my Acer X163W monitor:
edit ep/ep_desktop_pygame.py, line 355 - Change 32 to 40 to realign window properly)
edit /boot/config.txt to set 1280x768 resolution
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=23

6. Check out pyprocgame from github, then...
wget http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/files/dmd.c.zip , unzip dmd.c and put in build directory before compiling.
edit setup.py and add include path to /usr/local/include/p-roc, change "ftdi1" to "ftdi" then sudo python setup.py install

7. Check out libpinproc-dev from github
in src directory, edit PRHardware.cpp - remove "libftdi/"
mkdir bin, cd bin, cmake .., sudo make install

To make CCC run from boot: Add to /etc/rc.local
cd /home/pi/cactuscanyon
sudo python cc.py

You may need to set permissions for the P-Roc USB:
Add the file "50-myusb.rules" to /etc/udev/rules.d and type in the following line:
KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",MODE="0666"

Check your config.yaml has the font paths in it…
font=path:

./dmd/
./shared/dmd

You may or may not need some of the adjustments above, try without and if you get compile errors, try the adjustment.
Obviously it would be a boon to have a pre-compiled SD image to plug and play but I don't suppose it could include the dmd and sounds for obvious reasons.
Hope this is useful to someone

3 months later
#1507 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Eric, can you please list the RPi4 specs you recommend? I'd like to have one here ready to install once you release the image. Would a RPi4 model B 8GB with a 16GB card be ok?

I have it running on a basic RPi4 with an 8GB SD card...

ccc-pi4 (resized).jpgccc-pi4 (resized).jpg
#1509 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

When you say a basic RPi4, is it a model A or B board and what amount of RAM, 4 or 8GB?

It's a model B, 2GB ram.

#1511 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Thanks, much appreciated. Hoping Eric will also comment on what specs he recommends.

Any Pi from 3 onwards should be fine. It runs well on my old Pi 3 which my Cactus Canyon has been using for 2 years now.

I had some initial difficulty with the compilation on a Pi 4 because the linux libraries had undergone a few subtle changes in the recent Raspian OS builds. I can't make it work with the very latest Raspberry Pi OS because they have dropped support for Python 2.x so maybe Eric is looking at that.

1 week later
#1513 2 years ago

Well, whaddya know... The same image runs on a Pi Zero 2

ccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpgccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpg
#1515 2 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Any work been done to make the Pi run mostly with the file systems mounted read-only? I’d think the only time they’d need to write would be high scores and any audit data? Would make needing to do anything special with the power (for clean shutdowns) unnecessary, which would be nice.
Pretty cool that a Zero is enough horsepower for this, too.
—Donnie

Good point re the shutdown thing - I looked into having my Pi 3 shut down cleanly when the game is turned off but I never got round to it, and it's been running for 2 or 3 years without any problems despite the game being turned on and off several times a week. Probably more important for those running a box PC, especially if it's windows I guess.

#1516 2 years ago

A comedian I admire (fellow brit Richard Ayoade) was in a movie I've never actually seen, but the trailer is quite interesting... Cowboys V Aliens ?

2 months later
#1520 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I need to check my audio wiring from you all CCC-users as when I listen to the audio on the backbox's
speakers, it seems that left speaker functions ok, but the audio on the right speaker is very low if not non-existent.
In my setup the audio comes from the computer's headphone audio to a groundloop isolator and
from there to the amplifier. From the amplifier's R+ and R- output the audio goes to the left speaker
on the speaker panel at the backbox and from amplier's "Super Bass" connector the audio goes to
the subwoofer inside the cabinet. I have not connected the amplifier's L+ and L- to anywhere.
The left and right speaker on the speaker panel are connected together as they originally were.
Please tell me how to correct this so that I could get sound also from the right speaker. Maybe
the fault is that the amplifier is not directly connected to the right speaker on the speaker panel?
Please see the pics. Thank you for any help!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's hard to see what might be wrong, though you may have a bad connection around the right speaker. The first thing I did when I installed the CCC system was to put in better speakers as a stereo pair since that is what the amplifier provides (even if the sound samples are mono). I have since remixed some of the music into stereo tracks. It's a cheap and worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. Also upgrade your cabinet speaker with a subwoofer

#1521 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I haven’t updated my game in years. I have forgotten how to do it. Can someone tell me what I need to do.

Not sure where you are starting from, but if you want to go the Raspberry Pi route, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help...

#1523 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have the computer I just need to update the code.

The last update on https://soldmy.org/pin/ccc is from May 2018 - I haven't used the original Windows install procedure for several years so hopefully someone else on here can help you with that, but there is guidance on the install at the beginning of this thread. I think the old P-Roc forum stuff has disappeared since pinballcontrollers.com redirects to the Multimorphic site without the forum (and there isn't much on the wayback machine either it seems).
mike.

1 week later
#1527 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I got a Pinsound speaker kit and replaced the old speakers, but replacing the speakers did not remove that static that I get before the game starts and which is there for a brief moment after the PC has shut down. It's non-existent when the CCC-program has started. I have a groundloop isolator that I have placed after the PC's headphone output and before the amplifier, but it does not seem to help.
How could I get rid of it? Strange issue, thanks for any help!

I would guess that your PC's audio output stage has some issues - maybe a leaky capacitor or noisy amplifier stage. PC sound can be problematic on older machines... I gave up trying to digitize my cassettes with my PC's line input but got much better results with a USB audio interface. Maybe time to get that Raspberry Pi up and running

3 weeks later
#1530 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

has someone an image or can help me to install a fresh version on a Raspberry Pi3b ?

I'll PM you...

3 weeks later
#1533 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So I got a working RPi4 image from Borygard, which was Mik-ReadingUK 's image.
ANYWAY .. it was working semi decent from the start, but not 100% drop in and use. It did have the color-display correction compiled in, which is fantastic. There were just 4 issues with it.
1 - As received it wouldn't drive the actual game because it ran in "FakePinProc" mode which is used for testing without a PROC board. That's a simple tweak to a config file though.
2 - Audio from the 3.5mm jack wasn't working on first boot - but if I'd log in as the pi user and then run the game it would work. So I changed the system setup from running it without a user login to having the pi user log in and then run the game with it's own .bashrc -- this worked for my setup (RPI4b) but not on Borygard 's - but he's using the PBL LCD which lets him grab the audio out at the display via the HDMI connection, either option is fine but I'm not sure why the 3.5mm didn't work for him.
3 - The video came up in the default resolution of the LCD. Ideally it should run 1280x720 to cut down the rendering overhead and make it fit nicely in the DMD window. I set the HDMI mode to get that using the right resolution.
4 - The video display wasn't able to be positioned with the in-game settings for aligning it with the DMD window. I actually wrote some new display handling to make this work and added a "windowless = True" flag to the config file, so now the 'Y Offset' setting can move the Dot display up and down, and it's still only 'drawing' the 1280x320 needed for the DMD instead of the whole screen every frame.
I've got it running on my gear with a LCD setup I built myself with parts from Ebay, Borygard is running it via the Pinball Life "Homebrew Display" that they sell and it works on either one.
It doesn't have everything in a 'read only' partition except for the settings/data like I would prefer - but it does work, and should just be a "put this image on an SD card and go" with no extra messing around.
If anybody would like that image, just let me know.

1. I did it that way so people with no experience with the Raspberry Pi would have a better chance of getting something going first, then I would just tell them how to comment out the fakepinproc line

2. I had similar issues with the audio on the Pi4 but it seemed ok on the Pi3. I had to fiddle about a bit with the alsa config but I thought I had it sorted for the image file... I'll take another look at it.

3. I was using an old Acer LCD which is now expiring - People may need to check the HDMI config stuff on the RPi website which gives lots of mode data for /boot/config.txt. I'm playing around with an ultrawide display at the moment which has a 5-1 aspect ratio (pics below).

4. Yes, I noticed this but the output was centered on my display so hadn't done anything about it. Glad you have it gripped Eric, and also the Read-only stuff which hasn't been a problem for the time I've been running on the Pi but seems like a sensible precaution.

I'll refer the enquiries I get to Eric from now on but if anyone wants the script I use to compile from scratch on the Pi, let me know. It pulls the github code and compiles it with the libpinproc library to end up with a working image.

By the way, if anyone knows how to upscale dmd dots, please get in touch
mike.

cactus-polly (resized).jpgcactus-polly (resized).jpg
#1537 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just to be clear, I certainly wasn’t trying to put down the effort thus far — rather, big (huge) thanks for getting it compiled and running as far as you did! I just wanted it to be at a point where it’s a burn the image and go. Hopefully with a Pi4, a cheap amp, and a PBL Homebrew display, this works like that and people can just buy parts and set things up themselves and I’m not stuck doing support for the rest of my life, heh.

Centered was the problem. With a ColorDMD/PBL style mount, the LCD is lower than center so it wasn’t aligned in the window.

Upscaling won’t ever look as nice as the CGC remake, since they actually pay someone to re-draw everything from scratch. I don’t really like the ‘smoothing’ look of mashing the dots together with math personally, so I’m no help on that one.
Thanks again Mike!

No offence taken... Glad to be a part of the great CCC project and happy to contribute my small efforts alongside the stacks of work already put in by yourself. I feel like we should be doing all we can to stand proud alongside the CGC remake (and only we have Cowboys v. Aliens!)

#1538 1 year ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Probably a dumb question... I'm using one of the shutdown controllers connected to a PC currently, would the shutdown controller still be used with the RPi?

I've had a Pi3 running my Cactus for almost 2 years and never had a problem with depowering it with the rest of the game - It seems that a Pi is a very rugged little board in that respect. It should be even less likely to corrupt the SD card if the code runs in read-only mode, which Eric has suggested.

#1540 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:... and Drunk Multiball ... and the super skill shot .. and marshall multiball .. and the tributes, etc.

And not forgetting Betty Bart ❤️

#1543 1 year ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Frank and Beans too!

It's so tempting to put some Blazing Saddles quotes in to the mix... I wonder if Sheriff Bart is related to Bubba?

#1547 1 year ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I am thinking about giving this a go on a Pi4 (1Gig). I ordered a Pi 4 (4 Gig) a month ago for the Whirlwind kit, latest shipping estimate is June 2023!!! Oh well....I got plenty of other projects.

You might want to keep an eye on https://rpilocator.com/, though it's not looking good at the moment.

#1548 1 year ago

Still haven't triggered this in game yet... Anyone else?

moother (resized).pngmoother (resized).png
1 year later
#1559 11 months ago
Quoted from lchouky:

Hello there
First thank you all for your great job on CCC !
It a top game !
As I would like to upgrade to a color LCD DMD I puschased a toshiba screen from pinballshop.nl size is 1280x390
I m trying hard to set the HDMI resolution for it to fit the DMD display from the pin but it is still in 1280x720 fits perfectly in width but half size in height. (Pics attached)
Anybody could help me with it?
Thanks very much for any kind of help
Lionel[quoted image]

I had hoped to be able to help you with reference to my own setup. Unfortunately, I cannot get to my machine at the moment and I didn't copy the files required to be able to show you what to do. I have a similar sort of screen (see my posts above) but it is larger and even wider (5 to 1 aspect ratio)

There may be an easier way to do what you want but I ended up creating a custom mode in the config.txt file in /boot

The info you need is all on https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/config_txt.html

You would need something like:

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=390 0 100 10 140 1280 10 20 20 2 0 0 0 60 0 43000000 3

To get the exact timing values you should run a utility called tvservice followed by edid_parser:

tvservice -d /tmp/edid.dat
edidparser /tmp/edid.dat

You might also be able to find your display on edid.tv website to get the correct parameters.

I'll try to put more info your way when I get a chance to visit my Cactus at some point!
mike.

#1562 11 months ago
Quoted from lchouky:

Here are some pics of what is the bes I can do with this lcd screen and (that is the most limting factor) my computing skills….
It s not so bad but I wanted to try to have a dmd window full with the lcd.
As far as I understand, the lcd screen I have is for pincab (1280x390) and it is larger than the dmd window of the pin.
If I set the /boot/config.txt file with the proper resolution , with a 10 pixel per dot , I have a full screen (that is too big for the dmd window)
If I set 8 pixel per dot its the result below not bad but could be little larger to fit perfectly.
If I set a 14 pixel per dot, the PI doesnt boot at all.
Any other resolution gives me the result above….
As I felt it coming…..beyond my skills!!
If you have an idea let me know
Here are pics of what is the best I could get.
Thank you very much for your help
Lionel
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm glad you are getting closer to what you want. Try changing the values in the hdmi_timings line. The front and back timings for both H and V syncs can be changed to move the image around and make it bigger or smaller - that is how I managed to get my 19" ultra-wide lcd working best.

5 months later
#1569 5 months ago
Quoted from lchouky:

Hello everyone
I have one running a PI and Proc working quite well
The only problem I have is the high scores that reset every time I switch off the game. I ve been told that I had to quit the programm first before turning it off (makes sense to me) so I plugged an mini 3 keys keyboard with the "escape" fonction on them so I can quit the prog before switching it off.
It doesnt seem to solve my problem
Could you help me with that?
I must admit that I m level zero in Python coding.... so please explain me like a dummy
Thanks very much

I have to defer to Eric for this one. I noticed the same behaviour on my game but my Python skills are not up to figuring it out either.

High scores should be stored in cactuscanyon/config/game_data.yaml so maybe check that file exists and is writable.
Next time I am near my game I may have another look at the issue.
mike.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
16,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bullhead City, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mik-readinguk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project?tu=mik-readinguk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.