moother (resized).png
D38F2F0E-EEFC-482A-8D8C-EECCB1A4D57C (resized).jpeg
cactus-polly (resized).jpg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpg
IMG_2393 (resized).jpg
IMG_2392 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

429 posts in this topic match your search for posts by epthegeek. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hey There. I'm new to this particular web joint, but not so much to pinball. I'm working on a project this crowd would probably appreciate -- I've slapped a P-ROC board in my Cactus Canyon and am working on recreating the original game, and then expanding on it.

There's a wiki about the project here: http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/

There's a thread with all the details over at the P-ROC forums : http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=520.0

And a rundown of key bits I've added so far:
- A new super skill-shot with better prizes that requires a follow up shot on the playfield to collect
- A new gimmick multiball called "Drunk Multiball" with reversed flippers that ties to the beer mug target and saloon
- A new mode that alternates with Showdown called Ambush, which is a cross between Quickdraw and showdown
- A match animation, which if won awards "Last Call" - A special multiball
- A new tumbleweed animation/award for full loops once the horse/trick shots are complete
- A new ramp shot combo system
- Many new 'high score' category types
- A Moonlight Madness
- Cowboys vs Aliens multiball
- 2 new "Save Polly" modes, one for each ramp
- And of course, Bionic Bart

I've been working on it for several months now, and am a little curious what other Cactus Canyon fans think of the project.

E

Post edited by epthegeek : Updated added bits

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is so cool. How do you get access to the original sound samples and dots? It all has to be input to the proc code from scratch, right?

Yeah, everything that you want it to do has to be fed to it. There's more detail in the thread at the P-ROC forum, but the TL;DR version is that for sound I used M1+Bridge, and for dots I mostly used a new version of WPCEdit -- that was tweaked just for this purpose.

I should probably also add that a lot of the dots are stuff I made up and/or edited and rearranged from the stock graphics. Like everything in the Bionic Bart mode I had to create from scratch. The audio for BB was in the ROMS, but nothing else.

Post edited by epthegeek : More detail

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I think you can do more if you want to but this is cool so far. I read that other forum thread where you said you were really enjoying the project as well. That is very encouraging!

I don't know that there's much more I want to add, I don't want to OVER do it. It'd be pretty easy to really trash up something like this, and I'd rather avoid that. I wanted to give it a little more to do, that fit in with the style/look of the game. There's some other smaller stuff I didn't mention here in the first post, like the new Extra Ball is Lit animation, a new "Ball Saved" animation, lots of little lighting tweaks and stuff, and so on.

A this point, I'm probably just going to do a lot of testing and finishing up details and see where it's at.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. If anybody has any specific "wouldn't it be cool if ..." or "I always thought that it should ..." type suggestions, let me know. There's quite a bit of that from me already in there -- which you'd see more of if you read the thread over in the P-Roc forums.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think it looks like you added a lot. In order to enjoy it someone would need a proc right?

Yes, this is correct. In order to run the code, you need a P-Roc and a computer to drive it with.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

you could build a deeper wizard mode for CC.

That's kind of what I was doing with Bionic Bart. Bionic Bart is available after the 5 points of the badge are lit, and if you don't beat Bionic Bart, you don't get high noon -- Everything resets.

I may still change/tweak gameplay around Bionic Bart, it's definitely a work in progress.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What about adding a night showdown mode where the bad guys retaliate at night that works like this:

- something happens during the game to qualify. Perhaps beat a specific number of bad guys through our the game accumulative. Should be a fairly high number so it's hard to get to but not impossibly hard.
- after the game ends and last ball drains if you qualify then a night ambush or showdown begins.
- the GI shuts off and in the dark you can play through a showdown multiball which works like showdown but starts with all four balls.

As for this bit - maybe something like that could be what you get for a match, instead of a "Free game". Hit the match? Whoa! Back into action you go! Hmm..

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'm not familiar with this game but that 2nd video ends with "DEEATED". Should that say "DEFEATED"?

Whoa. Typo! Man, who programs this garbage. Oh, wait.

Edit: Just checked the code, it actually is in there properly - the font file must have been missing the "F" at that point. Originally that font was just for "Bionic Bart" so it didn't have all the letters, I was adding them as I used more, and if letter isn't there it just gets left out.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think this title could use some combos
maybe 2 or 3 way combo you could use the train for one shot in a combo.
I would leave it as save the girl hurry up though.

I wondered about what more to do with the train too. Part of the problem with expanding CC is that you're stuck with whatever the hardware is, and there's not a whole lot to it.

One thing I do have in my notes is a 'MOVE YOUR TRAIN' (think "MOVE YOUR CAR") where it would move out to the center of the tracks, then shots to the left side move it forward, shots to the right move it back, and you have X seconds to move it X far one way or the other to 'win'. But I wasn't sure how to start it/award it. Maybe a random bounty award? or skillshot award?

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I have combos in my notes too, but haven't done anything about them yet. I was actually considering having a 'River Bank' champ for going back and forth between the River ramp and Bank ramp, but haven't added it yet, because every time I look at it, it seems dorky. River-Bank, Riverbank, pffft, that's lame.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Hows about some extra high scores for people to aim for:
Bart Brothers Champion (amount of brothers defeated)
Train Stop Champion (Quickest to Save Polly)
Quick Draw Champion (amount of successful quick draws)
Stampede Champion (highest score in stampede multiball)
Showdown Champion (most drops in showdown)
Loop Champion
Mother Lode Champion (highest mother lode)
Combo Champion

In some of the other videos on my youtube account that I didn't link, you can see that in the attract mode there's already a QuickDraw champ and a Showdown Champ - and I definitely intend to add more, just hadn't picked out specific categories. Don't want to over-do it, and with some categories, it's just a matter of whoever had a great game will set all of them. But out of the way stuff is more random. So I'll probably add something for Full Loops, Beer Mug Hits, and maybe Combos.

Update: The list of high score categories now stands at:
Quickdraw Champ
Showdown Champ
Ambush Champ
Tumbleweed Rustler (Full loops)
Town Drunk (beer mug hits)
Undertaker (Quickdraw, Showdown and Ambush combined)
Bounty Hunter (Bart brothers defeated)
Motherlode Champ (highest single motherlode score)
Combo Champ (for longest ramp combo - not just total combos)

Post edited by epthegeek : Added list of current categories

#43 11 years ago

RE: Move Your Train

Quoted from mufcmufc:

I like it! How about a more obvious X centre ramps? Which then increases each time to start it, maybe 8 to start 1st time then +2, +3, +4 etc for subsequent

I don't know. I don't really want to encourage hammering the center ramp, honestly. And with something kind of quirky and theme breaking like this, having it be a little more rare/random seems appropriate.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Very cool, I like my CC a lot as is, but this would move it to a new level!!
One thing I've always thought was missing was a proper end to Polly's peril, if you rescue her, there should be a better animation than what it does now, but if you don't, well, could be the second "fatality" in pinball, (first being in CFTBL)

I definitely like the idea of improving the animation at the end of Polly Peril -- but I'm not sure I can make anything better myself. 128x32 pixel art is pretty tricky to make things look nice, especially in 4 color. If anybody has mad pixel art skills and wants to take a crack at it, that'd be awesome.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow, impressive what you have accomplished. I love this theme and am so thrilled you are expanding the code. I notice you said the P-ROC board you are using needs a computer to run. I thought the new P-ROC board was a single board with build in processor? At least I recall this from a conversation I had with the Predator team. Maybe its a prototype board they are testing.
Awesome stuff, please keep us posted.

The P-ROC board does do some of it's own processing, for instant reactions on certain things like coils -- but for handling the actual game code, that's done with a computer, running through the P-ROC to interface with all the pinball parts (lamps, display,etc).

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Eric, again, great stuff. I've always thought that it should be harder to light the "mother Lode" insert on the star (one multiball jackpot and one shot to the scoop lights it). I always felt it should be more like super jackpot on AFM (hit all jackpots first, then light motherlode at scoop) OR collect 3 mother lodes the 'normal' way to light the insert on the star.

I like this idea. I'll switch it to either require a 2x motherlode (meaning all the jackpots had been hit) or 3 1x motherlodes to light it.

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Working on combos this morning. Right now I have it set up like SW:E1 combos - using just the left and right ramp, you can chain together combos and each one is worth (currently) 50,000 as long as the chain continues.

How about if you hit the center ramp after the chain is more than 1, you get a bonus of 25,000 for the length of the chain -- so for example - if you hit the left ramp, then right the chain is at 2 and you get 50,000 for the second shot, then you hit the center and the chain goes up to 3, and you get 25,000 * 3 for that, so 75,000 --- BUT, if you're able to string more left/rights together before hitting the center it'd be worth more.

Update: ended up going with this idea. When you hit the center, it calls it a 'super combo' and caps it off - so you can hit R/L as many times in a row as you dare, then shoot the center for the bonus -- center doesn't do anything (currently) if you hit it as the second ramp, only 3rd +

Post edited by epthegeek : Updated info

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

I'm a CC fan too, and this work is nice, really nice.

Thanks.

My goal is to have all the additions and changes be quality enough that if you didn't know it was custom software, you'd assume it came that way. For example, I'm not going to use the 16 'shades' the P-ROC can put out to play digitized video or anything bizarre like that. My intent is to honor and expand the game, not trash it up like 2-for-1 T-shirt shops at a tourist trap.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

It's awesome. Where is the new match feature?

This video has a step through of the animation for it, but I don't have a complete version of it on any video yet. The idea is the 2 digits are behind the last 2 bottles that break.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Is someone able to buy a proc and download and run your project? Like is it an open source code base? Are you interested in any help?

The code is available on github, but not the sounds and dmd files. And it's hideous, amateurish and unfinished.

Eventually, when it's "finished" (read as mostly bug free and fully playable) I'll worry about how to get it into the hands of other interested owners.

I'm not really interested in collaborating on the actual coding part. Its hard enough to keep my own bass-ackwards junk straight. If there were bits in there written by other people I'd REALLY be confused. But I'm totally open to discussing ideas and suggestions. And I could use a DMD art guy that's better than me. And someone to record a mob of people yelling "MOVE .. YOUR .. TRAIN"

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The original game didn't have a match feature?

It has a match, but no animation. It's just numbers.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sounds like the big barrier to running this will be getting the sound and video clips. He doesn't have those in git.

Once it's "done" enough, I'll figure out some way to get the other parts to people.

#68 11 years ago

Anybody on the thread that has a CC have an oscilloscope? I'm a little worried the way I'm popping/holding the bad guy targets and posts may be bad in the long run, so I'd like to investigate what the real game code does. Especially when multiple targets are up in showdown. If that is possible.

1 week later
#69 11 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Anybody on the thread that has a CC have an oscilloscope? I'm a little worried the way I'm popping/holding the bad guy targets and posts may be bad in the long run, so I'd like to investigate what the real game code does. Especially when multiple targets are up in showdown. If that is possible.

Just wanted to say a quick Thanks to whomever it was that tipped Jim (with the scope) off to this thread. He was able to get some readings for me, and now the drop target behavior exactly matches the original code and I feel tons better about it.

And while I'm at it, here's an updated gameplay video with the code as of the weekend. Not a whole lot of the new code shows up (There's a super skill shot miss, and an ambush) but at the end, it does have the match animation and high score entry (with music, unlike the original).

2 weeks later
#72 11 years ago

I keep thinking "I'm done adding stuff to the game" and then stuff like this happens:

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Wow! Was that some Skrillex music playing??
That was BAD-ASS BRO!!!!

Yeah, it's bits of Bangarang by Skrillex, but not all of it. Since it has to repeat ad nauseum. The mode was essentially inspired by the trailer for "The Watch" which is about aliens and uses that song ... and then the wheels just started turning.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

OMG, this just keeps getting better an better.
It would be awesome if that board could work in Virtual Pins since I will never own a real CC.

The p-roc code can actually be hooked into visual pinball with some work. I haven't looked into that yet, though.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Another opportunity to consider (unless it's already addressed in software settings):
The timer allowed for a Quick Draw is far too long. On the CC at PAPA, I could miss the Quick Draw, have the ball bounce around back down to the flippers, and still have time to nail the target. I would envision this mode to be something where the pop-up drop target would drop back down as soon as any other switch is registered, or a very short timer expires.
Something to think about (unless you can adjust in the diagnostics).

The Gunfight mode is historically the one that is supposed to be a one-shot deal, but still allows time for multiple shots. On CCC that's a little harder, to pull off. QuickDraw, which is really more of a "hurry-up" mode where the sooner you get it the more its worth, is adjustable for time in the settings.

1 month later
#91 11 years ago

So, I'm going to take CCC to expo. It'll be in Rob Anthony's side room, rather than the main game room. Depending on how stable the code is by then it may not be running ALL the time, but there should be plenty of opportunity to check it out.

2 weeks later
#94 11 years ago

Big thanks to everybody who has stopped by to play the game at expo so far, especially for the patience of dealing with issues that crop up. It's making the game better one bug fix at a time.

If you're at expo and haven't checked it out yet, swing by Rob's repair room!

#106 11 years ago

First - one more big thanks to everyone who played the game at Expo. The information I gathered watching everyone play was fantastic. I have a giant list of things to work on, and some new ideas for little details to add (and maybe even a new mode if it pans out). The whole weekend was great.

As for what does it take to run: 1) A P-Roc board, and 2) A computer of some kind. I'm not sure what the minimum specs are yet -- but I'll be testing some options soon. For those that don't want to bother with the computer set up end, I'll offer some kind of option of a prebuilt system all ready to play. Exactly what, and how much that will cost, I can't say at this time.

And Dino is going to lose his damn mind if he sees this but; I fixed the horrible audio hissing that the computer was making not 20 minutes after getting it home. We won't discuss how frustrating that is. It sounded like crap all weekend, then as SOON as I get it home, I manage to fix it.

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just wanted to say that this project was a distinct highlight of my expo experience. THANKS!!!!

Wow. I mean .. um, wow. Thanks lots, good sir.

#120 11 years ago

For anybody that either missed it - or didn't get to come to expo - here's the rundown of what's in the current version of the code:

Edit: I should point out - this is all on top of everything the orignal game does.

A new super skill-shot with better prizes:
- Activated by holding a flipper when the ball is in the shooter lane, it kicks off with an intro animation, then updates the prizes available.
- One of three shots (Left Loop, Left Ramp, and Center Ramp) is randomly selected to start, and lights up.
- Each hit in the ramp bowl advances both the prize, and the shot selection.
- When the ball hits the ramp, the shot to complete is locked in, and you have one shot to make it - not a timer.
- Hitting anything else on the table cancels the shot and you lose.

A new gimmick multiball called "Drunk Multiball":
- Drunk multiball is earned with shots to the Beer Mug target (configurable amount).
- Once lit, it starts with a shot to the saloon.
- During the multiball, the GI is off and the flippers are reversed
- Shots to the beer mug target add jackpots on the 5 major shots, none are lit to start.
- There's a hefty ball save when the mode starts, and another after you're down to one ball and the mode ends.
- Jackpots in this mode are worth 5 mil, because of the difficulty.

Ambush Mode:
- Ambush alternates with Showdown, after a rack of 4 bad guys is killed via QuickDraw
- Ambush is a combination of Showdown and Quickdraw, and is a single ball mode
- At the start, 2 targets pop up. As the number killed increases, 3rd and 4th target are added.
- Targets remain up for a set (configurable) number of seconds before the bad guy "escapes".
- After a set number of bad guys (configurable) escapes, the mode ends and the bad guys reset for Quickdraws again.

A match animation:
- It doesn't serve a lot of purpose, since it's free play, but it's there.
- I'm working on some idea to make some better use out of it, we'll see if any of that pans out.

Tumbleweeds:
- Once either loop is completed, rather than continue to repeat their 'finished' state, there's a new award
- Each 'full loop' shot counts as a tumbleweed, and each one is slightly more valuable than the last

A new Ramp combo shot system:
- In addition to the existing timed combos, I added a new combo system based on the ramps.
- Shots back and forth to the Left and Right ramps build up a combo chain.
- Staring with the second shot, each shot in the chain is worth 50,000
- After a chain is running, if you hit the center ramp, it adds 1 to the chain and gives you a bonus of 25,000 times the length of the combo, and caps it off.

New high score categories:
- Quick Draw Champ
- Showdown Champ
- Ambush Champ
- Undertaker (All three previous, combined)
- Tumbleweed Rustler (full loops)
- Motherlode Champ (highest value single motherlode)
- Combo Champ (Longest ramp chain)
- Town Drunk (Most beer mug target hits)
- Bounty Hunter (Bart Brothers defeated)

MOVE .. YOUR .. TRAIN:
- Awarded from either the super skill shot, or a bounty award
- Once the mode starts, it moves the toy train to the middle of the track and draws a train on the DMD
- Shots to the left side (Loop, Ramp, or Mine) move the train left
- Shots to the right side (Loop, Ramp or Saloon) move the train right
- Shots to the center continue to move the train in the direction it was going (if not centered)
- The train on the DMD and toy train both move with hits
- The distance to move is divided into 4 steps, so the lowest shot total possible is 4
- The score for a perfect run is 1,000,000 (presently) and it goes down by 100,000 for every shot extra you take, bottoming out at 200,000. So, six shots only gets you 800,000 and so on. I might adjust the scoring. Maybe I should ad some bonus for keeping it on the screen for a high number of shots. heh.
- In the mean time, the game plays entirely normal behind the train, with the one exception that "Polly Peril: Tied To the Tracks" can't start while Move Your Train is running.

Bandits!
- On every run of the gold mine multiball, after the first one, you'll run into bandits.
- When you hit the mine to collect motherlode, they'll show up to steal it!
- 2 guys the first 2 times, 3 the next 2, then 4 after that
- You'll have a set time to defeat them
- While the bandits are around, you can't score more jackpots or motherlodes
- If you fail to kill the bad guys in time, they make off with the gold and you get no points!

Three Separate Polly Peril 'episodes'!

- Polly Peril in "Rescue on the River"
- The third shot to the river ramp starts Rescue on the River
- Any ramp shot advances our hero closer to the boat
- Hit enough ramp shots in time and save Polly!

- Polly Peril in "Hostage at the Bank"
- The third shot to the bank ramp starts Hostage at the Bank
- Three bad guys are holed up in the bank and need to be dealt with
- Each ramp shot kills one of the bad guys, you have to hit all three before time runs out!

-Polly Peril in "Tied to the Tracks"
- The third shot to the center ramp starts Tied to the Tracks (the original Polly Peril)
- Gameplay is from the original game - left & right ramps advance goal, center buys time
- Shots during polly peril are worth 250,000 - with a bonus for the other ramps being completed first
- For either episode, if it's complete - but lost - you gain 50,000 per shot for each mode
- If either episode has been won - you gain an additional 250,000 per shot for each mode

- If you fail an episode, points on that ramp shot are drastically reduced until reset by a Stampede!

Motherlode badge requirement change:
- To light the motherlode item on the badge you either need:
- 3 regular motherlodes, or
- 1 motherlode after the motherlode multiplier has increased by clearing all the jackpots

Several new animations and graphics:
- Things like "Extra Ball is Lit" and "Shoot Again" now have their own new animations.
- Some stock animations were updated on things like the bronco loops, and the river ramp
- Several places where the original game had plain text with a thin border now have fancier displays

Cowboys VS Aliens multiball:
- At seemingly random times Aliens will invade cactus canyon!
- This is a three ball multiball
- The action starts with a roving jackpot shot that shoots down a flying saucer
- If the saucer makes it all the way across the table without being hit, then aliens teleport down to the surface
- You have to kill 4 aliens to get back to the flying saucers the first time, and +2 every time they show up after that
- The saucers are where all the points are, starting at 1 mil and going up, the aliens are worth peanuts
- At this point, the saucer speed is a constant, but will soon be changed to progressively speed up with each ship.

And of course, Bionic Bart
- Bionic Bart is available where High Noon used to be.
- Once all the badge points are complete, they chase in a circle.
- A shot to the saloon starts Bionic Bart.
- Since BB is a tough guy, it takes a helluva gun to hurt him.
- A shot to either loop, and then the center ramp will complete the 2 step process of loading said weapon.
- Then a shot to the saloon deals the damage (shots to the bart brother toy don't hurt a robot, your aim must be true)
- For continuing shots, a 3rd step of "unloading" the weapon is added (either side ramp)
- Once Bionic Bart is defeated, then High Noon lights as normal -- if Bionic Bart survives, the badge resets and you have to start over!

#124 11 years ago

I'm going to order up a beagleboard-xm to try ($150) and see if it runs well enough. If that'll work, the setup will be as easy as writing an image to an SD card and plugging it in. The raspberryPi I tried was too slow, I'm hoping the ARM A8 cpu in the beagle xm will be enough power.

#126 11 years ago

I took a break from fixing bugs that turned up at expo to experiment with something else. It's been brought up before: Actually killing polly if you fail.

I slapped together an animation for it, and a different reaction for the shots to the center ramp after you fail (before stampede resets it). It came out pretty decent.

If I leave this in, I'll probably make it a configurable option, so you can turn it off if you'd rather.

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

A bit graphic, but cool nonetheless.
Can't wait to hear the sound effects
Hey Eric,
Just curious if any of the original design/software team on this pin have reached out to you?
I would imagine they'd be pretty impressed and grateful that you've put so much time and effort into completing this game.
I think you need to get your hands on a TOTAN

I talked to Matt Coriale (Software) and Rob Berry (Sound) via email a while back, but the project wasn't done enough to show off at that point. They basically said "hey, cool project" but that was about it, really.

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hey, how about a naked polly mode.

ಠ_ಠ

#136 11 years ago

I've been working on some new stuff in the last few days.

"Boss Bart"
There's a whole set of voice samples for a character that isn't used much in the original software that identifies himself as 'the boss'. I wanted to make use of that stuff, and after going down a really wrong path first, what I ended up with is this:

- Whenever you're on the Bart brother fight that would light the badge goal, "The Boss" steps in
- He works like any other Bart brother, but comes with a Posse.
- When he's activated, all 4 targets pop up, as his intro is "We're the Bart Brothers and I'm the Boss"
- Killing bad guys makes shots to Boss worth more points, and increases his defeat value.
- If you lose the ball while fighting Boss, the drop targets go away, and he continues like any normal bart.
- There was no dot art for him, so I did my best to make him look like the main guy in the center of the backglass art. Seemed fitting.
- Then after you finish with Boss, the regular Bart brothers pick back up wherever they left off in the rotation.

"Marshall Multiball"
There's a quote in the rom for Marshall Multiball, but that's all. So I wasn't really sure what to do with it. Then I had this idea to make it a 'game within a game' kind of thing. When you reach the rank of Marshall, a two ball multiball starts, and the whole game turns into a bells & chimes style simple EM game with a really low scoring system - and there's a separate high score list just for that sub-game. Still tweaking it, but it came out kind of interesting.

Here's a crappy video with terrible audio trying to show off the new stuff.

I noticed after the fact that the Boss Bart damage display gets messed up after the first ball drain - he starts working like a regular bart with the push transition. That's already been fixed. Oops.

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Nice. this game will be deeper than LOTR soon. Will all these different modes lead up to a finally or is the finally Bionic Bart?

The five basic goals to light the badge points are essentially the same. When all those are lit, then you can fight Bionic Bart. If you beat binoic bart, you get to do High Noon - the "have all the balls and everything is lit" orgy of a game. If you fail at bionic bart, the badge resets and you have to start over.

#139 11 years ago

Since Expo (and at Expo, really) the most common question I've gotten is: "When can I have this?"

The simple answer is: I don't know. The complex answer is: You could have it now, really.

I'll explain.

I don't know how long it's going to take to hammer out the remaining bugs to the point where it can be declared stable enough to run without worrying about issues. If you don't want to help bug hunt and report things, you should wait. I'll post about it when we get to that point.

But, if you're technically inclined, and don't mind setting up your own P-ROC & Computer to run the code, AND willing to deal with (and hopefully report) bugs, you could have it any time. Yes, really. I'm not going to start putting together pre-setup systems at this point, but the code is reasonably stable -- so if you're willing to do the setup, you could have the code now.

This may lead to: "GAH! WHAT DO I NEED TO GET?!"

What you'd need is:
1. A P-ROC with a WPC95 mounting plate ($330 from multimorphic)
2. A computer to run the code on

I don't know what the minimum specs required to run it are, but the one guy testing it is currently running it on a 1Ghz ultra mobile PC with 768 meg of ram - probably wouldn't want anything weaker than that.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

You could do it with FreeWPC, but there would be significantly more programming involved and it would all have to be done in C or assembly.
https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0AbloE2l1GzNWZGRuNzh3cHBfMzhjZmZ6cGRkNA&hl=en_US

I could have, but I didn't. Very simply, the code work for freeWPC is more than I can handle.

I also don't know if it would have been trivial to add all the new audio that I've added. As of August of last year, you couldn't do anything with the sound board and were limited to existing sound as was.

There is a guy doing new code for CC using FreeWPC, but I don't know anything about his project.

Update: Oh! I didn't see the original question above ecurtz - was that a ninja edit addition? Same answer still applies of course - FreeWPC can do straight to ROMS, but would have been far too difficult for my skill set.

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey Eric,
Just wanted to say again>>> GREAT WORK with this!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE talk to Dan and bring this to MGC in March 2013 so I can see all the progress since expo.
Also, please offer a course/ seminar on P-roc programming for noobs. I am pretty much CPU stupid but would love to learn this skill set. I often have ideas for improvements for many of my favorite games and it would be a blast to have the skill set to implement them. I am not sure if it is something I could even learn, but I would be happy to pay for a class in p-roc basics.
Thanks again for what you are doing.

I doubt I'll be hauling the game out of the basement again to take it to another show. However people nearby could make arrangements to stop by some time and play.

One thing that should be made clear about working with P-ROC: Once you switch the system over to that, you have no access to the original code at all. You can't just make changes to an existing game. Anything in CCC that runs like the original was re-built from nothing.

Rob did ask me to do a seminar at Expo next year, but I haven't decided yet if I'll do that for sure.

#148 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Sorry for the inane question, but it is reversible if anyone wanted revet back to the old code?
Dan

You can take out the P-ROC and put the WPC95 CPU back in at any time to have the original game back. Additionally, with a powerful enough PC driving it, you can run Pinmame to emulate the original and feed it through the P-ROC to play the original code without hardware changes. This might be handy for things like the original testing & diagnostics - which will likely always be more robust than the code in CCC.

#154 11 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

You could ask someone to volunteer to bring their Cactus Canyon, and you could bring the new software. I think that is what ColorDMD did. They brought their product and put it into someone else's machine. I wouldn't want to move my machine either, especially if it was as nice as yours and HUO.

Yeah, that's generally the issue - it's not likely that anybody would be willing to bring a CC to a show given what they're worth these days.

#156 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

One thing that should be made clear about working with P-ROC: Once you switch the system over to that, you have no access to the original code at all. You can't just make changes to an existing game. Anything in CCC that runs like the original was re-built from nothing.

Are you saying that I cant unplug the P-Rock board and put the game back to the way it originally was.

No, that's always possible (putting the CPU back in). What I mean is, the P-ROC isn't some shortcut to modifying existing games. You can't just get a P-ROC and set it up and tweak a few things in the software. Anything you want the game to do via the PROC has to be written from scratch.

Several people have looked at my project and said they'd like updates to other games, but it has to be clear that I didn't just update CC, I rebuilt it entirely.

#159 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

What do you all think about using a Chromebook to run the software? Not expensive ($249) and seems to have adequate specs - 1.7GHZ processor speed and 2 GB RAM.
Dan

The chrome book runs googles specialize OS, doesn't it? That would mean the drivers would have to be compiled for that -- which I'm not sure is trivial. So I guess the answer is maybe, but it would be a lot more technically involved than setting it up on real windows or linux.

#162 11 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Fantastic work! Love the new modes. Gotta get my CC set up now so I can help with the debug.
Just out of curiosity, and being a programmer myself, how many hours do you estimate you've put in to this project, from the very beginning?

I started on it in May, and the total is at least "hundreds and hundreds" but I haven't really been keeping track of time spent.

#163 11 years ago

I set up a wiki with information about the project - it's mostly just a FAQ list and a rundown of what's new in the game at this point. But I'll be keeping it up to date.

http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/

#166 11 years ago

Time for a bad news/good news update on the project.

The bad news: The BeagleBoard-xM I ordered to test arrived this weekend. It took a lot of wrangling, but I finally got it up and running with the machine -- only to find that it still wasn't really able to run the code at a speed I'm comfortable with. It seemed to have a little bit of discernible lag in general, but more specifically it would randomly (rarely) slow down enough that the watchdog in the P-ROC would kick in and kill the lights momentarily. I'm sure it's entirely possible to run a P-ROC with one of these things, but as it stands my project isn't working on it. Going over things with a fine toothed comb to optimize efficiency and yadda yadda is not my area if interest or expertise at all. So I'm not going to go to battle with it to work on making it run. I'm officially throwing in the towel on low end hardware. When you can piece together a barebone case, cpu, ram and full on SSD for less than $250, it just doesn't seem worth bothering.

The good news: Since Expo I've been re-working how the code handles stacking of modes, and hammering on strange issues with the management of the ball trough and I think both of those things are finally almost 100%

Real soon now some more people should be getting their P-ROCs and we'll have even more hands on players helping to weed out issues. Should be exciting. Or maybe frustrating. But hopefully exciting.

E

#168 11 years ago

I'm setting up a computer for playing CCC for someone this weekend, so I shot a quick demo video of the setup. It takes about 23 seconds from power on to playable, which I don't think is too bad.

My original thought with the power on boot is that you could use the service outlet in the pin - but that's alway live as long as the pin has juice, so that won't help. Oops.

The other issue is audio. In the video, it's running through my machine which has the WPC95 audio board modified to allow for a line in. As built, the hardware doesn't have that functionality. So you either have to hack your board, or use PC speakers that include some kind of amp of their own.

Just because I'm sure someone will ask, I'll build you one of the mid-sized case version of these for five hundred bucks, the shuttle size would be six.

#172 11 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Just ordered the proc, I'm hoping to run it off a netbook I can keep inside the coin door. I'll post my results.
Thank you for doing this. It has got me interested in pinball again after being out of it a couple years.

I worry that a net book might be too slow, or too light on ram; but good luck!

I tried some low powered stuff and gave up on it. These systems I'm building are based on celeron g530's with 2 gig of ram and an ssd -- just because I don't want to have any worry about performance issues. The one guy testing the code in Germany is using a 1ghz UMPC and from things he's said, it sounds like its functional, but lagged.

#178 11 years ago

Congrats to Dan for being the 2nd person anywhere (not including me) to run CCC on their machine!
Hopefully working out the kinks won't be too frustrating in the long run.

#179 11 years ago

Hot news update:

Thanks to a question from the first guy picking up a pre-configured system (I'll let him decide if he wants to out himself or not) -- the systems I set up will come with a built in Update feature, right in the game's system menu. With a properly named folder on a USB thumb drive, you can plug that in, enter the service menu, and update the files -- with no net connection, monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

Should I have done that a while ago? Sure. Had I? Nope. But I did now.

#183 11 years ago

Here's a quick demo of how the USB stick update works. Just needs the files at the root of the USB stick in a specific folder name and it's good to go.

#187 11 years ago

If you are offering pre-built systems, would you consider a small footprint mounted in the head of the pinball? That way everything is accessible from behind the translite.

I tested a few single board computer options, and wasn't happy with the performance of even the more powerful & expensive option (BeagleBoard). So I decided to quit spending time and effort on that and just stick with real power. The issue there, of course, is that the case can only be so small. The one I built for expo is a shuttle case that might be able to be fit into the head somewhere if necessary and you built a rig to hold it -- but that's not really all the important. You wouldn't really 'work' on a computer in the pin anyway.

#188 11 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

But why would you want/need dual boot? The original CC game is all there in CCC, just updated to be better. The only time I could see wanting to boot the original ROM would be to compare the old to the new, and that'd get old quick.

The boot Greg is talking about is having the CPU come on when the pinball is switched on. So that it boots up into the CCC software when the pin is switched on. Since the service outlet is always powered, you can't really use that. With the smaller shuttle case it might be possible to find the voltage it needs somewhere that you could tap into (since it uses a laptop style external PSU) but I haven't looked in to that.

#192 11 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I'd personally like to see the single board computer explored more. There's got to be something powerful enough to get it done. A single assembly with the PROC and computer attached that simply replaces the original CPU would be awesome. And, wouldn't have the external power up requirement.
With HTPCs being the size of USB drives now, how is there not a single board computer not powerful enough to run a 6809 game?

It's not running a 6809 game, though, it's running a game written in python, using pygame for sound and a few hundred megs of assets.

I wonder a little if the SD card read/write speed was bringing down the performance of the beagleboard (even though I pre-load everything), but I really don't know. I just know that in my testing, it lagged to the point where I wasn't comfortable telling anyone else it was ok to use with my code.

#195 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

So your startup script to update is also written in python?

The USB update stuff is all python, and bolted on to the pyprocgame service mode framework, yes.

The restarting is a shell script trick based on an exit code.

#196 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That person might be me. I dont know if anyone stepped up before me or not. I like the look of the setup and I know it will work. I just paid $10,000 for a CC co $600 for the new code is well worth it. I havnt recieved my P-Roc board yet so Ill let everyone know when I get it set up and running.

Was actually Greg (as mentioned a bit higher in the thread), that asked if he'd be able to update the code via USB. Yours is actually the third system -- the first being the one I built for taking to expo that will be going to Dino next weekend.

#198 11 years ago

Thanks to a nudge from MrWizzo, CCC now supports a real knocker if you have one wired up.

It's something I just hadn't even considered since I never wired up a knocker in my game prior to starting the project. It's only used for the match right now, but I'm sure I'll figure out other places to make use of it.

#199 11 years ago

I posted this over on the pinballcontrollers forum, but I know most of this gang doesn't read over there, so:

To finally give the match some real puprose, if you win a match now - you get "Last Call". After the match winners are determined, there's a brief intro on the DMD (lifted from champion pub) and then it prompts for whichever player won their match to step up and hit both flippers to start the mode. If more than one person won a match, the round goes in turns. If nobody steps up and hits the flippers, there's a timeout where the game will stop waiting and move on (either to high score entry or game over as needed) after 30 seconds.

The mode is a 3 ball multiball, that ends when you get down to 1 (or 0) balls remaining. If you still have a ball in play, it kills the flippers when you get down to just one to collect the ball. The side ramps and loops are lit for jackpots, and stay on. The center ramp lights for a double jackpot very briefly after any other jackpot is made. The beer mug raises the value of the jackpots, and the saloon resets the value back to the starting level.

When all players who got last call are finished, the game shows the final scores with the added last call points, then moves on to the game over/high score.

Additionally there is a new high score category for highest last call total.

Just have to test it on my machine a bit more to make sure it's solid, then I'll hand it out to the early adopters (who now number a whole half dozen, woo)

#201 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Thats pretty freaking cool
Does any other game do this? That is a very nice touch; makes me wish my CC was here NOW!!!
It won't arrive until just before Christmas

Cactus Canyon doesn't have a knocker?
What's involved in adding it?

I don't know if any other game does it or not. I kind of wanted to do something along what it ended up being, and then I saw the bartender animation on champion pub this weekend and it just all came together.

As for the knocker - it just didn't ship with one. WMS stopped using them at some point, before CC even, I think. The software support for it was there, but the game didn't come with it. You just have to get a stock WMS knocker rig and wire it up.

Like so:
http://www.flippers.be/cactus_canyon_knocker.html

#206 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nothing more than mounting the solenoid, running the wire, connecting it to an unused transistor, and writing the code for it.

Code is already there, that's why it came up.

Terry has em for 22 bucks at pinballlife with the
Proper mounting rig and whatnot

Edit: ninja'd

2 weeks later
#210 11 years ago

Hey hey,

Code is coming along great. I've been keeping the wiki up to date but haven't been posting mundane details in the thread since nothing new and exciting has been added lately. I'm trying to stop myself from adding new stuff and instead just polish off what's there (but I have snuck a few more things in that are more in the Easter egg variety).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll build and configure a plug and play system for either $500 for a mid size case or $600 for a smaller shuttle case.

Here's the wiki link again: http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc

#212 11 years ago

So far Dino (He-Man40) and Greg (Azpinlawyer) have the pre-configured systems in house. I'd love for either of them to chime in about the game any time -- but I can tell you that Greg's had some painful hiccups with the USB update feature, since he's the first one to use it and we've hit a few kinks. Totally fixable, and I've learned from the problems, but they did occur. I put teamviewer on the boxes, so that in a worst case scenario, you can plug it into the net and fire up teamviewer and I can fix it remotely.

#215 11 years ago

Here's an interesting development. Well, I think it's interesting anyway. I built a cable that hooks into the power system so the CCC computer can turn on with the switch. Originally I was looking to build a pass through adapter that connected where the green circle is in the picture below. However while I was testing voltages and looking at the wiring I noticed that there's a single black and white pair that goes to the other side of the cabinet to the area where the orange oval is - and terminates in the plug highlighted by the yellow circle. Testing that plug, it's got the 115v when the pin is on, and nothing when it's off. And it's not used for anything!

So I dug around on digikey for the proper connector and cobbled together a wire and shazam. The version shown is a non-grounded outlet, simply because the shuttle computer doesn't have a grounded plug. For the mid-size case that uses a 3 prong grounded outlet, a third wire just runs to a loop that you can wingnut on to one of the cabinet ground strap points.

IMG_0262.JPGIMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPGIMG_0263.JPG IMG_0265.jpgIMG_0265.jpg

#217 11 years ago

Although my saying this will probably jinx the project and make all sorts of things go wrong; stick a fork in it. It's done.

All the major show-stopper bugs seem to be gone, and I'm not really interested in bolting anything else on to the game. I haven't heard anything serious from the testers on the latest build, and I played a bunch on my own this weekend without issues.

Sure, going forward there will be adjustments and such, but as of right now it's really stable and pretty awesome.

So for anybody that asked me at expo when it would be 'finished' - that's today.

E

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

How are you dealing with the computers soft power switch?
And it's best to have some kind of soft switch so the computer can do a safe shutdown.
Also down the road tournament mode??? or at the very least points for EB when EB is set off.

I'm not doing any dealing with a safe shutdown at this point. The game, when running very rarely writes anything to the disk so it SHOULD be no issue to just kill it. Of course, the owner of the game could safe shutdown the computer before powering off the pin if they wanted.

I didn't think to check if the default ubuntu setup in my preconfig boxes is to safe shutdown on a tap of the power button -- I'll look into that.

I might do tournament mode at some point. As far as I understand it, tournament mode should de-randomize the random awards and replace extra balls with points. The de-randomizing is the much bigger job there. I've got nothing against adding this, it's just not a big priority for me.

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

just setting tournament mode does not need to trun off EB's but MAX EB's should be it's own setting with points when you hit the max.

The game already has a Max extra balls setting. It removes them from random awards and replaces them with points in some situations once reached.

Quoted from Aurich:

epthegeek, I saw you mention that you'd be interested in seeing it running using PROC VP, which would be great for those of us who'd love to see your hard work but don't have a CC. I know the latest version allows VPROC and VPinMAME to registered simultaneously, but I've never tried to mess with it myself.

I still haven't looked into this much myself. There was someone trying to make it run a while ago (with early code) but I never heard back from him about it.

1 week later
#225 11 years ago

Just a quickie update about a few things.

The pre-configured systems now come with three different ways to shut down the CPU before killing the power to be sure it shuts down clean, if you're nervous about that sort of thing.

Option one: tap the power button on the CPU case and it shuts down immediately & safely.
Option two: Use the service menu's "shutdown" option
Option three: When in attract mode, hold both flippers and then hit start and it will shutdown the CPU

Of course it's still very resilient to just cutting the power as well, but computers DO prefer to be shutdown properly.

Additionally, there's a new built in faulty-switch warning system in the code. Sort of like a WMS 'credit dot' in a way. If a switch goes unused for a (configurable) amount of games, the system will tag is as possibly bad and display a message in the attract mode. You can set how many games it takes before the warning in the service menu. Here's a quick & dirty demo of how it works:

#227 11 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

The game is perfect. Finished, reliable, not buggy, innovative and manages to work Skrillex in. Who could ask for more?

Great to hear you're happy with it (and more importantly able to play!) after the rocky start you had to go through. I'll get your power cable in the mail your way some time in the next day or two and include a thumb drive with the latest code.

#229 11 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I have to say that CCC is working great for me too. I still haven't found drunk multiball yet. Thanks again Eric.
Howie

Drunk Multiball is easy. Finding the Mad Cow and MOOtherload awards is more tricky

#234 11 years ago

I'm running mine on a modded board. As is MrWizzo, I believe. HeMan40 runs his through PC speakers.

The work the audio board isn't very difficult, but you do need parts (a cap, some resistors, etc).

#237 11 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Just an fyi, this plug is not present on my game. It is a reimport so it was likely never there or removed when converted back.

Aw, bummer. That internal power hookup is handy.

#243 11 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Plugged in the shuttle and it came right up. The plug and play system is just that, once I got the proc installed I had it running in minutes. Wont play tonight as I have no sound but just watching the attract mode has me blown away.

So didja try it yet? didja, didja, huh?

#244 11 years ago

Now that the code is essentially complete, "testing" comes out more like "playing" and it sure is fun.

Stacking Drunk Multiball with Goldmine Multiball is great for cranking out points, but I realized last night that stacking Goldmine Multiball on to the 'Polly Peril in: Terror on the Tracks' gives you a huge advantage to actually getting the shots in and getting the extra ball reward.

Good times.

#247 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Ran into a bug yesterday. I haven't played it in a while and think I have the most current version from EP. If others running CCC could see if this occurs in your game, that would be helpful.
In showdown, while the ball save is on, let a ball drain. If the game does not send a ball into the shooter lane, try to keep the one ball alive and see if the game does anything odd. On mine, it stayed in the mode for a while, lit the indicator for BG#2 as if it was raised when it wasn't waiting for me to drop it and stayed kinda crippled until the ball drained.
Also, are the audio levels a little wonky at times?
Dan

I posted new code on the wiki yesterday that completely replaces the ball trough handling code - specifically because of stuff like this. Are you running that? If not, pop over to the front page of the wiki and grab the latest goods - http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc

Not sure what you mean about the audio. There are some places where I dramatically turn down the volume of the music to make the quotes easier to hear for important items, then it pops back up. If that's not what you mean, you'll have to be a little more specific.

#250 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I don't notice levels drop on what whould be background to let other samples stand out. The whole audio loses volume and then picks back up.
Dan

Aah. That sounds more like something wonky with the wired connection. It certainly shouldn't be doing that (and doesn't on mine that I've noticed).

#253 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I doubt it has anything to do with the wiring as it isn't intermittant as it seems mode related. I did noticed the same thing when I was running it through my laptop speakers or into a stereo, so that would seem to eliminate the sound board. It's not my laptop because the loss of level doesn't occur on any other audio.
Dan

Well then give me more details so I can look for the same things on my end. I'd love to make it right if it's really wrong, but I need to know what I'm listening for.

E

#255 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

It is a same set of bugs that I reported a while back. I'll check the revision, but the trough code would be independent of the BD#2 bug and showdown continuing with one ball, no? I guess unless the trough code in that mode wasn't recognizing when the ball drained.
Dan

The trough code was pretty good at losing track of how many balls were in play in certain situations which causes all kinds of weirdness. Not that the drop target not being up is part of that, but the rest of it is. I haven't seen showdown do what you're describing yet on my machine, but I'll some more focused testing to see if I can force it. Is it always just target #2 that fails to rise? And only during showdown - like, it works normally in gunfight/quickdraw/etc ?

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Sure, of course. I will try and spend some more time on the game and get back to you. Did you get the report on soldmypinbugs or is there a new way to report things back to you?
Dan

I had been kind of lax about checking the bug tracker, as I was working pretty heavily on the change around of the trough/ball save -- I'll try to be better about checking on it. It's still a fine place to report stuff.

#258 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

BUT it isn't that the target should be up and it isn't, the game is indicating that it should be up when it shouldn't so it stays in that mode waiting for you to drop the target to proceed onto the next reset of the targets, which it never gets to because the target isn't up.
Dan

Oh! This is an angle I wasn't getting. That's much more interesting and bug-ish. I thought it was a physical malfunction.

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

I can just plug the pc into the service outlet inside the game right?

Sure. But it's always on power, so you'll have to turn the CPU on/off independently.

1 week later
#265 11 years ago

Because of the midnight madness thread, now I'm thinking I should come up with something to do for that. heh!

#266 11 years ago

Looked up some videos of Midnight Madness this morning. I didn't realize every pin with the mode did essentially the same thing. Now I'm torn. I was brainstorming ideas for what to do that seemed 'madness' like, but maybe I should just include the standard midnight madness mode for consistency. Decisions, decisions.

#269 11 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

How about a "high noon" mode?

That might be confusing, since the game already has a "High noon" in the gameplay. I mean, I get it. But ... awkward.

#272 11 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

The only one I have played is Dirty Harry and it's pretty awesome. I kept the time on my game so it would start at 9pm every night. Made me play it at least once every night just to get it. You cant go wrong adding that in there.

Just checked that one out on youtube - it's the same as the other two I checked out (Congo and JM) - all the lights flashing like mad, every switch worth tons of points and the same "Bang!" "Powie!" "Zap!" etc banners. So that's the question. Do that thing like all the other games, or do something else.

1 week later
#275 11 years ago

Just a clarification update - Re: Preconfigured systems.

The systems I'm building/selling are a computer only. They don't include the P-ROC board. Options are the $600 shuttle case version or $500 mid-size case version (and if your CC has a bill adapter plug, I throw in a power cord). You have to pick up the P-ROC board separately from Multimorphic, so it does get pretty pricey.

The systems Andre in Germany is selling do include the P-ROC board, but I have no idea what he's charging for them, you'd have to check with him. The thread about his systems is over here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-continued-gaming-station

#279 11 years ago

So as mentioned, after the thread about "Midnight Madness" modes, I really wanted to throw something like that on CCC. I started banging on it this afternoon, and here's where it stands right now:

I didn't want to go straight into the points orgy like every other game I've seen with a MM mode, so instead it starts with a lit thing to shoot at it. Hit that thing, it goes out and 2 others light. Etc. When all 9 are lit, it goes into the typical moonlight madness mode.

Originally (as in the video) I had it starting with just one lit item, so getting to the big points was pretty hard. So now it defaults to 3 items lit, and is user adjustable.

Still needs some work on the intro to sexy it up a bit, and maybe some sounds for hits - but I'll work that junk out later.

#282 11 years ago

Here's a more complete version, video style:

#283 11 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

The MM mode sounds really exciting. If you want to sex it up a bit, perhaps Polly could do something special (in an old west saloon girl way) to show her appreciation for the player saving her, beating the Bart bros., becoming Marshall, etc.
Howie

Heh! I didn't mean 'sexy it up' that way, just polish it up more. The plain old text was dull.

2 weeks later
#284 11 years ago

Just wanted to mention I'll be dragging my CC out of the basement one more time to take CCC to MGC next month. I'm not sure where I'll be at this point, but I'll be there somewhere.

1 week later
#285 11 years ago

Small MGC update - The Spooky Pinball guys have graciously allowed me to set up in their room - so that's where it'll be, not in the main pinball area (if there is one? haven't been to MGC before). Swing by and check out their awesome stuff, and then as long as you're there already, you can try out CCC!

Also, a small note to anybody already running the game, the last update seems to have an odd bug in it were in certain conditions the mountain motor will turn on and just keep running. Harmless, but odd. If anybody comes up with a way to re-create this condition on purpose (before I can find it) let me know!

#287 11 years ago

I spent the last week working up a new more feature rich service menu for CCC. I wanted to have all the basic diagnostic stuff that the real game did -- it just took me forever to get off my butt and work on it. It's got custom tests for all the main mechs, some utilities for resetting game data & scores, and a few other things, like a function to empty the trough out.

It's not fun or exciting like new gameplay features, but in the long run, for anybody running the software -- it'll be great to have. It'll be on the wiki in a few days after I test it a bit more.

new_menu.pngnew_menu.png

new_menu_2.pngnew_menu_2.png

And here's the switch test. The grid shows activated switches on the matrix, just like the WMS switch test does. And it shows the wire colors, and a descriptive text name for the switch rather than just the program reference name for it.

new_switch_test.pngnew_switch_test.png

Here's the other mech tests.

new_mine_test.pngnew_mine_test.png

new_train_test.pngnew_train_test.png

new_drop_target_test.pngnew_drop_target_test.png

#290 11 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Cool but a multi ball mode should not be showing ball saved art for each ball save.

I already block the display in some situations, just forgot to do that during Moonlight Madness - will adjust. Thanks for pointing it out. So easy to miss details like that when you're nose down on making it work.

1 week later
#292 11 years ago

One last reminder that Cactus Canyon Continued will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend in the Spooky Pinball room. Swing by and check it out if you're at the show. See if you can find the "MOOTherlode" or "MAD COW" awards while you play

moo.pngmoo.png mad.pngmad.png

#296 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Geo:

Ball times during showdown mb are way too long. If you can get rid of the ball saves or make them a lot shorter, that would be great. Not sure if you have an option to remove ball saves or not. That would be nice to have.

Not only is not having a ball saver during showdown an option, you can set it so that it only does the "add a ball" thing after a cleared rack one time. So you can't perpetually go from 2 to 3, back to 2, back to 3, etc.

#297 11 years ago

Somethin' weird going on in this video.

#300 11 years ago

There's not much to test. The method I came up with to do the color uses the same dmd files already in place, just with a little extra data in for the colors. It'll take me a long while to get everything colored though. And then there's working out what to do for a display.

I do have to tweak a few more things to get the cross-fade transitions working, but that shouldn't be too bad.

#301 11 years ago

Thanks to those that made the long trek to the far back of the hotel to find CCC in the Ben Heck Experience room (actually next door to Spooky Pinball in an adjoining room - last second relocation).
I'll still be there for the full day Sunday, so if you're going to be a the show, be sure to stop by.

As usual, this much constant play on the game is great for me working out bugs. A few things turned up during play today that I haven't seen in my own testing. That kind of thing helps me out a lot, especially if I'm watching rather than playing when they happen.

Good times!

#303 11 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

One of the best things about this game, though, is how EVERYTHING looks like it belongs. It plays seamlessly as if Bally included it all originally! If someone didn't know CCC was an upgrade, the only thing they would think when they walked away would be, "I see now why that game is so expensive! It's freakin' awesome!"

This is exactly what my goal was from the start. If it hadn't turned out to be up to that standard (in my view at least) I wouldn't have made it available to others. I'm thrilled that's how it comes across to other people.

Thanks very much for the kind words, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Feedback from the show should be fun!

#311 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Just curious if anyone has had any issues installing Eric's latest update?

For anybody wondering, something went wrong with the file copy on Drano's last update that made the game unplayable. He hooked up team-viewer for me so I could pop in and check it out. Had him back up and running in a few minutes.

E

#313 11 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I just wanted to say I'm in the club. Eric is some kind of pinball angel. He came over on Easter Sunday to help troubleshoot my installation. No problems wirh the update, but then again the man himself updated it for my special ass. Hugs and kisses ep, you're alright.
Jay

T'weren't nuthin', man. Happy to help.

#314 11 years ago

Still plugging away on coloring DMD art. Still have 200 or so animations to color. Sloooooow process.

But I got a cheap 16" VGA monitor that fits inside the head (with it's case removed) so at least the color I do have done can be in the proper place now. Whee.

#318 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Is that done with new code you're writing?
Kim

It's done with some tweaks i made to the pyorocgame framework's desktop rendering and adding in color data to all the dmd files. Can still run the dmd like normal, but also supports color output on an LCD.

#323 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Fantastic Eric!
Will you be posting up a small how-to along with some product specs on what to buy... for those of us a little less technology literate?

Once everything is finished and buttoned up I'll put together details (or maybe a kit) to setup the color screen action. But that's a ways off yet. tons of stuff still to color.

E

#324 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wonder if you can somehow persuade the sound guys who originally worked on this game to give you copies of the original masters for music, sound effects, and voices for maximum 44KHz quality?

Not any real chance of this happening. I actually talked to Rob Berry who did the sound for the game a while back (and Tom Kopera and Matt Coriale) and the general reaction was "Interesting, you're on your own". I had originally contacted Rob hoping he'd be willing to record some new voice bits for the added code. He was the voice of the town drunk and the prospector. No go.

#326 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well someone still has posession of the masters.

Sure someone does. But it's not anyone that has any interest in furthering my unauthorized project.

#329 11 years ago

So the most recent person to get/run CCC mentioned that he missed the Custom Message feature from the default WMS software. It still amazes me the things I completely overlook based on my own use. I never used that in my pins, so it didn't cross my mind at all.

So I looked up what the stock WMS custom message does. It was kind of lame. 3 pages of 2 lines of 16 characters each, period. Blah.

So I rewired it! (grunt, grunt grunt)</Tim Allen>

CCC Custom Message is:
- Up to five pages (currently, could easily be more)
- Up to three lines of text per page - totally dynamic can handle 1, 2 or 3
- Each line has adjustable text size (5,7,9 or 12 pixels)
- Each line can be justified Left, Right or Center
- Each line can be set for a specific color for use with a LCD and CCC's in progress color display
- Each page can have a backdrop from a list of several choices

Video!

1 week later
#334 11 years ago

I've heard Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) say that the only difference between people who perform magic (like Penn & Teller) and the average person that comes to their show is thousands of hours worth of work.

I present to you 8 hours of my life:

#336 11 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Eric, I don't know much about your life, but that appears to be well worth those 8 hours!
Will that be included in the regular dots animation on a future update, or for the colorization version only?

It works fine without color too - and will be in the next update, if I can find/make decent sound effects for the ball hitting the horseshoe.

#338 11 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Eric, I don't know much about your life, but that appears to be well worth those 8 hours!
Will that be included in the regular dots animation on a future update, or for the colorization version only?

Quoted from epthegeek:

It works fine without color too - and will be in the next update, if I can find/make decent sound effects for the ball hitting the horseshoe.

For those playing along at home: I took a stab at being a foley artist and managed to manufacture sound effects I'm pleased enough with (using a pinball and a shelf bracket of all things) to put the new ball save in the next update.

#340 11 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

if ready by next week lmk
i can update mine or try to LOL and host it at Allentown

There's literally nothing else new in it since the last update -- but I can get it to you next week so that you can put it in before the show.

Edit: Oh wait, I take that back - I never sent you 4/17 with the rest that went out. So there is new stuff. Including the custom message system.

And be sure to close up your outlanes and set the max extra balls to 2, or even 1 so people don't play forever at the show (he says from previous experience).

Edit again: Ugh! I mean OPEN up the outlanes, not close. Make it harder. Context is right, word is wrong.

#346 11 years ago

Just a little "Woo Hoo" - I finally got around to applying enough brain power to figuring out the crossfade problem. The color crossfades don't look like trash anymore. Huzzah!

/still more dots to color

#349 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

It sounds like now is a good time to update. I haven't done it since the end of the year.
Howie

Good grief, man! There's so much that's changed since then, all for the more awesome.

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=678.0

#351 10 years ago

Always great to hear that people are enjoying it. Wish I could be at Allentown to chat about it with people there too.

#353 10 years ago

So did anybody check out CCC at Allentown that hadn't seen it before? I'd love to hear from anybody that checked it out since I wasn't there to chat about it.

E

#357 10 years ago
Quoted from mrpostman:

I had played CC out at PHOF a couple of times. I made it to Allentown expecting great things and, well CCC, it was kind of lackluster. Just kidding! This is an AMAZING project! The time and effort put into the ColorDMD alone makes my head spin. The only reason I am more anxiously awaiting your next project is the base cost of the donor game is bound to be more affordable. I wish I could have gotten drunk multiball, but no go. My sons reaction to hearing Skrillex was priceless! Thanks for your brilliant contribution to the hobby.
Jason

I'm not sure there will be a next project, but never say never I guess. CC, to me (and most people I think) really seemed uninfinished. I'm not sure you can say that about many (any?) other WMS/Bally games. Sure, they may not be something you like, but they're "done" properly. With CCC I was just trying to flesh out CC into more of the game I always thought it could have been -- not that I have any idea what the original designers/programmers had in mind; I'm just sure there would have been more if they had more time/budget.

I know I said when I took my game to MGC that it would be the last time I dragged it out in public, but things have changed and that's no longer true. Multimorphic is going to get booth space at this year's expo for a P-ROC project showcase in the main vendor hall. How could I pass up a chance to be a part of the 'big show'? There's going to be several great projects there along with mine. Should be awesome.

E

#360 10 years ago

Rats. I missed the 1 year anniversary of CCC code work. The initial commit to Github was 1 year and 4 days ago. Granted, I started working on it before that a bit, so it's actually even a bit further off. Anyway ...

/party horn

Oh, and in other news, all the current DMD animations have been colored. Just a few more details to buff out with colorizing various text bits and that's all ready to rock. Then I just have to finalize the mounting/wiring. Woo.

#364 10 years ago

Congrats Eric
If you feel the color portion is complete lmk when you wish and well update the beast
Any idea on the LCD ?
When my buddy Wayne tried to put an LCD inside the light tub was a issue
Will it be with this one or will the tube need some shaving to accommodate the LCD
Again congrats on a wonderful year
CC and I thank you

My temporary rig has a 15.6 LCD with the case removed and it fits with the tub no problem -- before I took the case off it didn't fit. Randy from ColorDMD graciously sold me a couple of his mounting brackets (they'll be here in a few days) so I could see how hard it might be to modify his rig to hold the different parts I need to use for this set up -- if that goes well, then the whole thing is pretty simple.

Ideally it'll be the 15.6" LCD panel, a converter to take the computer video signal and translate it to the LVDS that the panel needs, a mounting bracket, and a simple wire connector to tap the power off the power driver board.

1 week later
#367 10 years ago

Just a quick color display update, for anybody interested in that (and since Andre jumped the gun a little and posted his rig). Here's a few shots of the setup I'm putting together. Huge thanks to Randy from ColorDMD for hooking me up with the monitor mount that they use for their product -- it's awesome to not have to re-engineer that.

The color is mostly done, I just have a few small things to finish up yet. Due to shipping times on the electronic parts and a vacation I've got scheduled in June I don't expect to have these ready to go until later in June -- but the color stuff will be all buttoned up by then, and ready to roll so I suppose that works out well.

(The picture of the front still has a protective plastic piece taped over the screen)

front.jpgfront.jpg back.jpgback.jpg mount.jpgmount.jpg

#376 10 years ago

Looks great
count me in for Erics Rig

Wait - didn't you just sell your Addams ColorDMD?

#377 10 years ago

For anybody wondering about the posted pictures - He-Man40 is helping me to test out the color and some other new code, as well as manufacturing the adapter plate to fit the video converter to Randy's DMD mount, so he's got his ahead of schedule. It's still not fully ready to roll out just yet.

E

#378 10 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

Great work Eric... Any plans for another P-ROC project?

At this point, no - I don't have any specific plans to do another game. We'll see how I feel once CCC is all finished up for real. If that ever happens.

E

#382 10 years ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Who is this Andre guy? Is he actually taking your work for free, packaging it up and then selling it for a profit? His video's are super anoying, and I sometimes watch for comedic relief. He seems like a douche... anyone who buys from his is a douche too... just my .02

Andre was the first real beta tester I had for CCC. He decided on his own to put together pre-set systems to run CCC for other people. When he asked me what I thought about this idea, I said I wasn't really happy about it - told him I didn't like the idea of him profiting off my work. He wrote back this big defense about how he's only making money on HIS work putting together the systems and writing stuff to auto-launch it and such, NOT my software. Fed up I just asked him to kick me back a little any time he sells one and he agreed, and he did send me 'dontations' a few times. Says he'll do the same for the new color setup, too.

He's made suggestions along the way, some of which I liked (and used) and other which I did not. I found him altering the game and releasing it to 'his customers' to include something I didn't think fit the game well (but he wanted), on some foreign forum. He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with that, when I asked him about it.

He put in a lot of great effort with testing the early code and such, and I very much appreciate his time. But he's also done several things that bothered me so far. Sometimes I'm not sure if he doesn't realize the choices he's making are in bad taste (due to cultural differences) or not. I don't think he's a bad guy, in general.

Many other people were early testers too, by the way, like MrWizzo - and even more than that have provided feedback and suggestions that got rolled into the game.

#387 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I saw a lot of people reading through the "What's New" poster on the easel next to the game, but I never saw anyone use "Super Skill Shot," which was the first bullet point.

I'm actually working on a fancy thing for a new Super Skill Shot prize right now. Too bad those types of players will never see it.

Quoted from Sparky:

I had minimized the program window behind the color display above the head, but when I checked on the game a few times, it was back up. I'm not sure if that means someone powered the game off and rebooted or not.

Yeah, if that window was back that probably means someone reset it. No way to know if they were clearing out a game someone walked away from or if it crashed on them, though.

Quoted from Sparky:

Everyone seemed to enjoy it. World class tournament player Tim Hansen reached Bionic Bart and High Noon and racked up a huge score! I was worried it would freeze on him, but he made it through the 45 minute game with no hitches. It was fun to watch!

This is awesome! When I've had it at shows I've had people get to Bionic Bart before, but nobody won. Congrats to Tim!

#392 10 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

One of the highlights for me at Expo 2012 was getting to meet Eric and a chance to try out his CC running with the CCC code. It was one of the impressive things that I have seen by an individual in pinball. The recent color display work is equally remarkable. The amount of time that he has into this project for the past year must be out of site. To top that all, he has made the code free to anyone wants it. I don't have a CC (yet) but if I do, it will be running Eric's code.
As a small token of appreciation, I just sent 50 bucks to your paypal account. (I hope that I got it right) Wally

Thanks for the compliments and generous donation Wally. I hope you get your CC some day. I'll get back to you soon with those measurements you asked about, too.

#397 10 years ago

What's this? Hmm.

super_what.pngsuper_what.png

#404 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigdaddy1000:

Wally - thanks.
Eric, you've got more money! Thanks again dude - loving the CCC.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Very kind of you. Glad you dig
The project!

E

1 week later
#407 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I was reading the FAQ on this and considering you didn't recreate all of the dots by hand (aside from coloring) how did you extract the DMD data? I know there is a program that will allow you to view DMD planes (all 4 individually) but it's pretty limited. I assume you extracted all of the DMD data correct?

I used a few different methods for capturing the existing dots. Pinmame with dumpframes and wpcedit were the main things.

#409 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You can dump frames with PinMame? How?

It's a compile option, not in the default build.

#411 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I would like to set my system up to autoload from powerup, so a game can be started. Ideally with an option to dump out to the Ubuntu desktop with say the Escape key or something similar. Has anyone successfully written a script to do this?

If you're already running the game from inside the ubuntu desktop, it's pretty easy.

You just need a shell script with something like this in it:

#!/bin/bash

python /data/proc/cactuscanyon/cc.py

(Note, the path to the cc.py should be where ever yours actually is).

Then save that as something like "ccc_startup.sh" and set it to executable.

Then in 'startup applications' (From the gear menu in the upper right of the desktop) add one that does this:

gnome-terminal -x /home/cc/ccc_startup.sh

(Note, the part between /home/ and /ccc_startup.sh should be your user account)

That will run CCC on boot and if you hit ESC on the keyboard it will exit.

#415 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Can't you just run the Python script on startup instead of using Bash?

Well, on the systems I set up - there's a lot more in the script that handle various exit conditions. I just left that stuff out of the example.

#416 10 years ago

Hints for the next 2 additions to Tribute.

hint1.jpghint1.jpg hint2.jpghint2.jpg

#421 10 years ago

Nope. To be fair though, I don't know that you'd ever see that graphic alone without something behind it.

Crash got the other one. I couldn't find something very ambiguous from that one.

#427 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

You can offer farsight, for pinball arcade, if they want to use your rom, if you like.
Then your work will be seen, used and enjoyed by many more around the world.
I can ask them if you want me to.

That would never fly with WMS legal.

#431 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

The right issues i forgot, but i am pretty sure the genius that is doing this custom update is very well capable of porting it to ios.

LOL

#433 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

My question however is, what is the skill shot on CC? And the super skill shot for that matter?

The skill shot on CC is that thing at the beginning of each ball with the picture icons. Each one is a different award, and it advances with each spin in the 'lasso bowl' ramp - so, with skill, you can hit the reward you want.

The super skill shot is a bit more involved. While the ball is in the shooter lane, hold a flipper for 2 seconds and the super kicks off with an animation and a quote. The prizes change out for better ones, and a shot on the playfield lights up. Now with each rotation in the bowl, the prize AND the shot on the playfield move, then when the ball enters play you have one chance to hit the lit shot and collect your prize. Miss and you get nothing.

E

#435 10 years ago

2nd clue for the tribute w/ the birds - SUPER OBVIOUS EDITION:

eyes.pngeyes.png

#438 10 years ago

Getting really close to the color screens now. I'm going to order up enough parts to build 12 of these next week. Then it's just a matter of how long it takes for the stuff to arrive.

The power for the screen comes from the P-ROC board, and I'll include a cable for hooking that up. Different from the pictures below only in that on mine I hard wired the cable to the board (after removing the barrel connector) and that was annoying and dumb, so I'll just include wires with barrel connectors so you can plug it in.

screen.jpgscreen.jpg screen-power.jpgscreen-power.jpg

#441 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Eric,
Please put me on the list for one of these color screen kits. Also, when we were playing a three player game and did not go for the super skill shot, the start-up image with the "bowl" award would sometimes freeze on the screen. Scoring would continue in the background even though you couldn't see it until the end of the ball. This did not occur for every ball. Have you heard of this problem before?
Thanks,
Howie

This can happen if the right ramp bottom switch doesn't register properly on the first pass. The next update for the game adds a second check on the right inlane, so that if the ball drops in there and the skillshot is still un-awarded, it will force it.

E

#449 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm going to order up enough parts to build 12 of these next week.

I may have to aim for more than 12 of these. 11 people chimed in already to re-affirm their interest in one.

1 week later
#451 10 years ago

I just emailed everybody that's already let me know they'd like a color screen for their CCC setup - but just in case: I'm back from vacation and ordering parts to put together the color screens. I'll be assembling things as soon as stuff gets here and then they'll be ready to ship out.

E

#456 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Nice job and thanks. I wasn't familiar with the P-ROC and just saw some python code and had my "holy crap" moment. Very cool!
BTW, Why is CC so expensive? I've heard because it's the last DMD made? That seems like a weird reason to bid up a pin, no?

Low production run, cool art & audio - add that to the last DMD game WMS made and you get the price you have. Only downer was the glaringly unfinished code.

#457 10 years ago

Parts are all in. Building 4 ccc gaming station deloox editions. Wait, wrong thing - I just build computers. And they're all one edition:Awesome. 3 of 4 spoken for. #2 currently under the knife. Then I have to put together 18 lcds. Good times!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#459 10 years ago

Color Screens are finally ready and will start shipping out today! Phew. Hopefully they survive shipping ok

One other thing I'd like to point out to people running CCC is Scott Danesi's awesome Startup/Shutdown controller board. It's a fantastic little interface board that handles turning the P-ROC computer on and off with the pinball power switch -- and it's really smart. It knows how to handle all kinds of situations like turning on the PC without the pin, or flipping the power off and back on before the computer even shuts down. It handles all that. Removes all worry about corrupting the computer, and any hassle from other shutdown methods. I love it.

It just needs three connections. One to the computer power switch, one usb to the computer and one power source that comes from the pin itself. I tapped the coin door interface board for that last one on mine. The first two cables, you can get from Scott for $5. The third one he doesn't provide, but I'd be willing to make up ones like I made for my own and throw them in the mail if anybody needs/wants one.

Once the board is hooked up, you plug the computer into an always on power source like the utility outlet in the PC or a wall outlet and never worry about it again.

One small caveat: For systems I built, one bios setting has to be changed to the the USB power working right, but that's really simple to do.

He sells 'em for $50 ($55 with cables) here - http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=398

My writeup on installing it in my CC is here - http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=824.msg7028#msg7028

#462 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

also the OS needs to be set to shutdown on power button. Not ask me what to do, sleep, Hibernation, ect.

All the systems I built are already set up for that. Tap the power and it does an immediate safe shutdown -- so that part is good to go, on my stuff anyway.

#465 10 years ago

While hooking up several different systems today to test them before shipping them out - I realized that you really want to keep any wires in the cabinet as far to the side as possible -- away from the large speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. Helps a lot with the humming noise problem I had with the LCD.

#468 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Eric, you're are making hard for me to keep my stereotype that all gingers are soulless monsters.

You're not wrong. It's all an act that I've been working on for some time.

#470 10 years ago

Cactus Canyon Continued is an open source project. All the code is readable and editable. I did this specifically because a lot of my ability to make this game came about due to learning from available source code of other projects. I wanted people to be able to use my project for the same purpose -- to learn from. I just didn't expect anybody to be brazen enough to hack in a bunch of ideas I rejected into my project and release it as their own.

At least with my changes to the original CC, the code had been dormant for FOURTEEN YEARS before I touched it. I've put a great deal of effort and consideration into the design and rules of the game. It's important to me that it's a quality project and not overdone or trashy.

I'm not sure I can even put into words how disappointed I am.

#473 10 years ago

The big batch of screens and systems is all wrapped up and sent out. Everybody that contacted me about one is taken care of.

I've got 2 more color screens left - though not immediately. They were damaged in shipping and are being replaced, so they'll be available soon. But neither one is spoken for, in case anybody wants one.

#478 10 years ago

The shipped out (not hand delivered) screens started arriving at some destinations today! Very excite!

#481 10 years ago

Mine arrived today!!! I had a few challenges getting things up and running properly - I'll post some notes tomorrow for anyone who might be running Windows 7.

Any windows help you could write up about setup or running the game on startup, etc - I'd love to put on the wiki to help out other windows users.

#483 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Have these two screens been spoken for yet? The guy I set up the CCC for I think is interested. I'll also send you an email.

With this one, and one other pinsider tho PM'd me - the last two from the first batch are spoken for now.

#484 10 years ago

If anybody else is interested in color, let me know soon -- getting together a headcount for another batch.

E

#485 10 years ago

I seem to be all alone in the thread lately, but I'm going to mention this anyway -- The second batch of LCDs is only going to be 8, and 6 of them are already spoken for. FYI.

#487 10 years ago

Still plugging away on the next tribute additions, albeit a little slow. Lost a little steam lately in addition to not having as much free time to work on it. It'll still get there, eventually.

acrobats.pngacrobats.png clowns.pngclowns.png crash.pngcrash.png

#489 10 years ago

That is awesome - what game is that from? CV?

Yeah, CV and SS are the next Tributes to get added.

#492 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

So the CV tribute will be a multiball?

Nah, that's just the standard Ringmaster battle end animation.

#493 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

The dots look great, Eric! Can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve!

Thinking about adding something for to show off at Expo and not give out to anybody until after the show. We'll see if it comes together or not.

#495 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Would I know what that surprise might be?

The thing you know about is one option. That might be too much to pull together by october though.

#498 10 years ago

For those of you guys that roll your own, there's new code up on the wiki with a goofy thing I added over the weekend after watching Blazing Saddles.

Franks N Beans
* Awarded from either the skill shot or a bounty award
* All switches are +20,000 points for 30 seconds
* Beans, beans, the musical fruit ...
* Can be disabled in the Feature settings if you're not a fan.

#500 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Nice! Is Andre ok with this?

No. He actually emailed me to tell me it wasn't a worthwhile addtion and I should work on his "Bring the Train Safely Back to Cactus Canyon" mode he wants instead. Like I give a ...

#510 10 years ago

Question #1 - can someone verify the machine connections to the P-ROC? I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but I want to triple check everything before I fire it up. A picture would be very helpful.

The weird bit I remember about hooking up the P-ROC is that there are 2 ribbon cables that don't get put back on. And with the color LCD, the DMD cable goes away too. I'll attach a picture of mine installed. Note, at that point, it still had the DMD cable on - that's the one going up top.

Question # 2 - since I'm running the color kit and will be using the PC audio, can I remove the WPC audio/controller board completely from the machine? That would make a great mounting spot for my PC.

I think so - it's just the "A/V Board" and you're not using A, or V.

Question # 3 - Eric's color kit comes with a 4-pin molex cable to power the display. I assume this just plugs into the PC plug on the P-ROC?

Yessir.

Question # 4 - does anyone have any specific recommendations for adding a PC speaker setup into the machine? I'd like them to mount in the factory locations (behind the speaker grill and subwoofer in the cabinet). I'm not looking for bare speakers, but a 2.1 speaker system that's small enough to fit in those locations yet has good sound.
I'm *really* excited about finally getting this up and running!

Can't help with this last one. Not using PC speakers myself. HeMan40 and several others are. Hoepfully one of them will chime in.

E

proc.jpgproc.jpg

#511 10 years ago

Just a last call on the second batch of monitors. Ordering parts this week to put together and have one last one unaccounted for at this point.

1 week later
#515 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I set one of these up last week. Was flawless using the wiki pages for help. Went with a windows 7 build. I used the wpc95 A/V board for audio - a broken one that has a blown out HV section on video. I mounted a cheap monitor I bought at goodwill for $25 in my machine, decased it, and it worked perfectly for color display. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. Epthegeek, you're a genius. The game is so good and so polished. It feels like it was professionally done. I wanted to customize a few things and found all the options I needed in the game settings menu. Now I have a spare working WPC95 A/V board, a spare WPC 95 cpu board, and a spare working DMD
The only thing I noticed was that the WPC 95 A/V modification instructions talk about requiring some resistors to mux the stereo output for mono input on the sound board. It's really not needed. Just take only the left channel and you're good.

Some of the samples, most notably the music in Cowboys Vs Aliens are in stereo -- so you're missing a bit there. Not a huge deal though, I guess.

Edit: Also - It's awesome that you slapped it all together yourself and even more awesomer that you're enjoying it! Yay.

#519 10 years ago

Yep. Last call is a special multiball you only get for a match. Since its free play and match is dumb otherwise.

#522 10 years ago

Coming soon: Replays

Someone requested this recently, but I can't remember who it was to let them know. I kind of brushed it off then. Replays on freeplay seems silly to me. But then markmon asked for a way to earn last call rather than get it only from the match.

Well alright.

So I'm adding a replay system that has several config options. You can set the score to a specific number and turn off auto adjust, you can use the game's average score, or you can use the average score plus a pad to raise it up a bit. Award options right now are Extra Ball or Last call. That way if you want the replays on, but still like the lottery style Last Call match, you can use the EB for the replay.

Sounds good? Maybe?
E

#523 10 years ago

FYI Homebrewers - the above mentioned replay system is in the code on the wiki now. Still early, might have issues. Try if you dare!

#525 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have missed a few updates. If I install the latest one I get everything correct?

Yeah, the pre-packed updates I send out for the USB update system contain everything added to the game since it's original release. The only issue might be if you're REALLY out of date the change to the new service menu might cause things to crash, if your old settings & data aren't deleted.

The pre-packed updates lag behind the wiki releases, as I wait longer to test/verify stuff before rolling it out to pre-config users to try to be safe about breaking things. That, and I don't want to update too often or people will skip them

#529 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I'm having trouble getting my color display to work properly. I had it to the point where the window for the CCC program would show, but the game image wasn't centered on the display and it was only about 2/3 the size of the display. I tried going into my computer's monitor settings (windows xp) and in desperation, changed the font size from normal to large and also changed the screen size and dpi settings. None of the changes worked, so I went back to the original settings with the 2/3 image. However, when I rebooted the computer and tried to run the CCC program, the game wouldn't start at all even though I didn't change anything in it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure what got wonked to make it not start up, but for the size & position of the DVD display that's controlled by settings in the service menu in the standard settings.

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

epthegeek: thanks for implementing this . The last call has been a fun addition to the game and works well.
Hla78: we need more than "the game wouldn't start at all". Run the game from a console window and paste the output. That shows the error.

Thanks for suggesting it. I like adding in GOOD suggestions. Ahem.

Speaking of which, apparently some guy asked Andre to make the bozo ball optional, because, you know, it's his project or something. Anyway, that's definitely something that I should have done and just didn't really think about. So that will be in the next update. Thanks, guy who suggested it to Andre.

I think I'll finally do a tournament mode too. Lock in the skill shot awards so they're the same for everybody, take the random out of the bounty awards, that kind of thing.

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What is the bozo ball?

It's the standard deal where if you have a terrible ball 1 and 2, an extra ball lights. for CCC it's on the outlanes. The name comes from WMS manuals for the adjustment to turn it off. I didn't make that up.

#538 10 years ago

Loving my CCC
Thank you Eric
Do you still want bugs reported ?

Sure. I always want to fix something that is broken. Just give me the best details you can.

#540 10 years ago

Bozo Ball thing is in. Can turn it on/off, and can adjust the amount of minutes the first 2 balls have to be less than to light it (1 to 5 minutes).

Now I'm working on tournament mode and am curious if anybody has input.

So far:
- You enable it by holding both flippers in attract mode.
- Display shows tournament mode activated with a timer.
- Press start during timer as directed to start tournament mode game.
- During tournament mode play the "Free Play" line changes to "Tournament" on the score display.

- Super skill shot is disabled entirely.

- Regular Skill shot locks to 5 standard prizes: Bounty, Bonus X, Rank Advance, Mine Advance, and Light Quick Draw.
- All conditional, and if not available "100,000" is substituted for that prize. So say if bounty is already lit, that slot shows the 100 Grand prize instead.
- Same prizes for all three balls.

- Bounty awards locks into a set rotation, tracked to the player. So everybody gets the same thing for first bounty, second bounty, etc.
- Extra ball and some other bounty awards are removed.

- Match is disabled - Regardless of config setting, when in tournament mode, the match (which might give a player last call) is disabled.
- Last call CAN still be available as a replay award during tournament mode, if you have replays enabled.

At this point, earnable extra balls via gameplay are still there.

Am I on the right track here? I'm not 100% versed in tournament stuff.

1 week later
#543 10 years ago

Just wanted to throw in a quick public thanks to Markmon! He's been finding and reporting issues with the code lately, which benefits everyone using it. He found some issues I hadn't come across yet, and tracked down exactly what was causing some things that had been vaguely reported before so they could actually get fixed.

Three cheers for Markmon!

#545 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Hey Eric,
It's taken me forever to get to installing this thing (we've been moving) but doing it right now.
Is there a photo of how the LCD is mounted? Can't seem to find installation instructions on the wiki but there are two sets of holes on the mount. I don't wanna be too low or high.
Thanks.
EDIT:
Don't worry. Figured it out. Went to colorDMD. Forgot you were using the same mount.

There's settings in the service menu to move the window up/down, too, btw. So you can adjust it to the right spot no matter what.

1 week later
#548 10 years ago

Fun with bonus posted a video I hadn't seen before of Bruce Nightingale and Ron Hallett, Jr. showing off some of the stuff in CCC. Has the color screen in it, but due to the lighting the color can be a bit hard to see. And they show off some of the Tribute modes.

http://funwithbonus.com/cactus-canyon-continued/

As I've seen with several people who roll their own, the computer that it's running doesn't have enough horsepower to keep up fully with the game. Most noticeable in the light show for Cowboys VS Aliens which is supposed to stay in time with the music. I should probably shoot a video of what that's really supposed to do as a benchmark or something.

#551 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Got my color screen hooked up and looks great Eric! Thanks again for the help.
I also picked up that board to recommended for the shutoff. Might be picking your brain after I go through your guide.
Adriano

Always happy to help out if I can. With a pre-config system (prior to inclusion of the CSSC) you'll have to change a bios setting or two to get the startup/shutdown controller to work right.

#552 10 years ago

Aw, Bowen says that CC is the most overrated pin.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1mij0y/i_am_the_world_pinball_champion_ama/cc9udl6?context=3

I wonder if he's ever played CCC

#555 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Way to go, Markmon. Please send me your address and I will ship you some free Glare Guards.
Same goes for anyone else that Eric approves of in helping with the code.
Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

Skulz (Chris) nailed a handful of interesting bugs having to do with timing issues after the last major update, and also helped me figure out one that had been plaguing the game for a long time, had even been reported before (badly) but I hadn't been able to nail down until he provided some details. Plus, due to some suggestions from Chris, the Marshall Multiball points get multiplied by 100 and added to your score, to make it worth more than it's own high score list and the prizes that come up on the skillshot repeat less (on the same set) than they used to. Good stuff all around.

I should probably do another update for the pre-configs with those fixes, even though it hasn't been that long since the last update.

#565 10 years ago

This sh*t is hilarious. From Andre's 'modding' page:

*Less bugs in CCEE than in CCC
On my review of the CCC software, I found several bugs which will not be present in CCEE.

He supposedly respects and supports me and my project, but didn't report any of that. Whatever that is. Not that he reported bugs worth a damn anyway. I think I got reproduction instructions once.

/and he totally f*#@ed up "Franks and Beans" mode by turning it into a battle against some guy named Frank. WTF?

//nothing like reading Andre's page to get the blood boiling.

#569 10 years ago

Just a heads up to any Roll-your-own users that read the thread: I put up some new code on the wiki today with some extra handling to try to make the drop targets more reliable in stuff like the MM tribute mode. If you have any trouble with the drops in MM Tribute, CvA, or Showdown, I'd be curious if this new change helps any.

/also finished up the CV Tribute mode
E

2 weeks later
#570 10 years ago

Randy from ColorDMD found a few more spare mounting plates for me to buy from him, so I'll be able to do another batch of LCDs soon. Just FYI for anybody that's asked me about one recently, or was considering it.

And don't forget to come check out CCC at expo in the P-ROC showcase booth Multimorphic is putting on!

#578 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I wonder if PAPA has considered adding the code to their CC games?

I'm pretty certain that would never happen.

#579 10 years ago

Can you spot what's different in this here video:

#581 10 years ago

Thus far, CCC sticks to the three letter high score entry of the original. I'm struggling with whether or not its a good idea to make it a 12 letter max, more like current machines. The project is supposed to be just 'finishing-up' the original game. Filling in missing bits and shining it up real nice. So I'm just not sure if this change is necessary or fits well.

I redid the attract mode screens so the longer names all fit so I could watch it run, while I waffle over this pointless decision.

#583 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

You did a code update on 10/10. Is there a list somewhere of the new changes and added features? Thanks!

There is a link on the wiki for the code updates thread at pinballcontrollers.com. It's right under the file links. Details always get posted there.

#586 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I like it! Any chance it can be an option to select in or default to the original 3 letters?

I suppose I could do it that way. Just leave the 'defaults' for when high scores are reset at no longer than 3 and it should be workable. Hmmm.

Edit: Ended up doing this. With the setting set to Max of 3 the original style attract mode screens for high scores are used, with it set to 12, it re-aligns things to make room. Default stays 3. Done. /wipe hands on pants

1 week later
#590 10 years ago

Expo was a blast once again. Being part of that large gathering of custom/modded pins was really great.

Thanks to everybody who came by and checked my CC (running CCC) on it's final voyage into the public domain. I love watching people play it and listening to the various reactions to certain things. This year, for the first time ever, I actually heard someone mutter to the woman he was with that he liked the original better. Oh well, can't win 'em all

Kevin from Skit-B played on Sunday morning and nailed the super skill shot on all three balls of his first game, then proceeded to uncover a crazy bug where the game lost it's mind for a while.

The game was really stable most of the weekend, only had to restart it two or three times. But I did find a few things I need to tweak/update - like the fact that I didn't put numbers in the choices for custom messages! DOH!

#593 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Eric, Im not seeing these tribute screens or modes from other games. How do I get to them.
Also, I noticed my beer mug target isn't working. How much am I missing because of that?

Tribute is in the super skill shot - have to hold a flipper button for 2 seconds with the ball on the shooter lane. Then release the button once the intro for the super starts. The icon for tribute is a hand with a lighter - unless you're TheKorn, and then it's a baby's leg. It's a "super" skillshot, remember, so you'll have to make a shot to collect!

With the beer mug target out you'll never get Drunk Multiball. Can't raise the jackpot values in Last Call either.

E

1 week later
#596 10 years ago

Just put up new code on the wiki for the roll-your-own crowd, FYI.

- Has an option for 12 letter high score entries
- An option to turn off just the 'woosh' noise in the attract mode (It gets annoying, I know) but keep the standard flipper button triggered sounds.
- A new adjustable match win percentage (Special thanks to Brian Madden for the logic for that).
- Can use numbers in the custom messages now (Really, I forgot those the first time - genius).
- More strict checking on the 'max extra balls' setting, and other random bug fixes.

2 weeks later
#605 10 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Wiki page is suspended? Setting up my game this week and need all the info I can get!!

I woke up to an email this morning from my webhost saying they shut my service off because I'm an email spammer. I have no idea what's going on, since I've never sent any email through the web server. And since they shut the services off I can't look at the logs to see what happened. So that's awesome.

#607 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

NOW we know the TRUTH! Eric runs a Russian SPAM syndicate!

Actually it turned out to be a guy in China (according to the info I got from the webhost) that somehow worked out the password for the email account on my hosting (that I never used) and was sending out spamvertising. Yay!

Hosting is turned back on, so the site works again now.

4 weeks later
#610 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

A cease and desist perhaps?

Nothing that harsh. At least not yet. Rick asked me to take down the asset files while we try to work out a way to legitimize my project. No idea if that will actually ever come to pass.

#620 10 years ago

Eric I used your site and directions
I'm trying to update my CCC to the latest revision and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
Has anyone video recorded a update for users ?
Thanks
James

Are you trying to update with a file I sent out? Or using the code from the wiki? The process for each is different.

Straining my memory here -- I can't remember if you're currently running a rig I set up or if you set it up yourself.

If it's one of my setups (and on linux), there should be an 'update' menu item in the system menu that can be used to apply pre-configured update files (that aren't from the wiki).

If you set it up yourself, it's just a matter of getting the new code file from the wiki page and overwriting the existing files with what's in that zip.

There's always the "put team-viewer on it and I could help out" option, too.

#621 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Is there any way to get "my neck, my back" onto the cactus canyon continued machine?

Replacing audio in CCC is even easier than replacing audio with pinball browser on Metallica. Scott could hook you up if you REALLY need it.

#623 10 years ago

Eric
You set up my rig via remote access over the net
The file is from the wiki with the CCC folders
I have the folders on my USB flash but when I go to update in settings
Nothing happens
I'm kinda stuck scratching my head as I followed the guide
Thanks
James

The files from the wiki aren't set up right for the update menu. PM me what your current version is and I can set you up. Just check the system menu for the version/date.
E

1 month later
#627 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I think it's a regular skillshot, not a super.

Correct. If enabled, it should come up on the regular skill shot. The icon for it is the train with a double ended arrow above it. Have to remember though that the skill shot has a large list of things to choose to put on the rotator and it only picks 5 out of that list on each ball. It would be more likely to come up later in the game as other things get used up so they come out of the selection -- but still might be pretty rare.

It should_ come up randomly as a bounty prize if enabled also. Which is also random.

#628 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Did Eric ever finish this mode? He told me back in May it was on "Disabled" by default because it wasn't done.

It wasn't so much that it wasn't "done" - more that I didn't end up liking how it came out. I never came up with good audio to use for it, it doesn't really blend well with the rest of the game IMHO.

#630 10 years ago
Quoted from PinsOnly:

I have never seen it either (Move your Train), I haven't seen Franks and Beans either... Haven't played it tons lately though. How do you start that one too?
Thanks, Dave

Fanks is the same, skill shot or bounty. That one is enabled by default though. As long as you're updated enough to have it.

#632 10 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

After 500 games without any "move your train ", i think it s really rare it's like winning at the lottery
I never experiences any issue with the frank and beans though.
I never found a video on youtube also.
The "move your train" feature sounds like amazing. I hope to see it one day

I just looked at the code again - I'm pretty sure MYT is broken -- the code currently results in the system always thinking the train didn't test properly at startup so move your train is disabled. Whoops.

/uploads new zip to the wiki

#635 10 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

Cool thanks! Will update after I get my stuff back from Rob.
Is the MYT enabled now by default and located in regular skill shot?
Is there a way to reach the mode during regular play without skillshot?
Maybe some mini mode after starting all three save Polly modes or as a bounty award?
Again, thanks for more code!

You'll need a pre-packed update for yours. I can put one of those together, but the wiki code doesn't work for that.

Move your train is still off by default, but once fixed should actually be available if enabled. It's just a skillshot / bounty prize like before.

I still kick around ideas for other stuff to add to the game but haven't come up with anything lately I really like enough.

#641 10 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

As an idea: have you though about a real video mode.

I'm not a fan of video modes. At all. So this will always be a near zero priority for me. I won't say it will NEVER happen, but it's not really on my radar. Doing a decent video mode is really complex, and more importantly doing really good DMD so that it blends well is hard. You really need good art and good audio to sell any new additions properly.

But if enough people really want something like that added, I could maybe work on it someday and just leave it disabled by default. Maybe. Someday.

#643 10 years ago

Just checking - anybody out there interested in adding a color display to their CCC? I'm fresh out of parts for displays currently and trying to decide how big of a batch I should order for building some more.

Oh, and there's this:

#648 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I hate frogs!

Sadly almost none of the quotes were locatable with the tools I use to find them.

#649 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

That it AWESOME! Are the other tribute modes in place, or just the planning stages?

There are 5 in the game now.

#651 10 years ago

What to do next? Move your car? Hat magic? Spiral Mania? ...? Hmm.

#654 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

monster fish!!!!

I don't know enough about fish tales to know how this goes off hand, or how the shots for it are.

I've been trying to use stuff that makes a little sense with the cc layout/shots/targets.

#657 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Monster fish is lit by hitting 6 alternating ramp shots to start the monster fish mode. After starting it is a count down from 20mil and you hit the left orbit to collect.

So really the monster fish part is one hurry up shot? That doesn't work so great in this case.

#661 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

You can set this in the adjustments menu right now. I much prefer the ability to select a tribute.

Yep, it's in the feature settings. Tribute can be random or manual.

#662 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah to collect it is a single left orbit hurry up. guess I was thinking something else for what you were going for? my bad.

Trying to stick to timed modes or stuff that can be massaged into a timed mode.

#665 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I much prefer the ability to select a tribute.

But do you know the secret flipper combo that let's you set the super skillshot prize to whatever you want?

#672 10 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

Gold Rush would better suit the CC theme for sure!

The tributes aren't really about what fits CC though, it's about what's iconic/recognizable/lines up with the shots somehow from the other games. Just a daffy idea I had when I started to fear I was overcrowding CC with to much junk.

#678 10 years ago

Playing around with some non-dot graphics for fun. Anybody want to make a really cool looking "DOHO" screen in 1280x320?

Note: The crappy randomizing shown in the video is already addressed.

#680 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Kapooya indeed, good sir!

Oh. Snap. I could put her picture in MM with the "kapooya"

#683 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I turned on my CCC after being sick for about 3 weeks. The game was running, but there is a window popping up in the middle of the screen saying that there is a system error and asking me if I want to report it or if I want to cancel. I'll bring a keyboard down to my gameroom tomorrow and see if I can resolve it.

Can be ignored. Can also be disabled pretty easily. I could do it for you over tea viewer if you can get it online. Otherwise I could send you directions.

Edit: Actually - There are directions on the wiki for this already.
http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/index.php?title=Error_Messages_Popping-up

#684 10 years ago

Good lawd. I just tested out the high def midnight madness stuff on the machine and it looks amazeballs.

#687 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Entering the service menu for the quick fix worked. I'll wait until I update the CCC before trying the permanent fix. I the updated midnight madness stuff on the latest available code?

Not yet, no. Still testing. Has a different new thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, too. Soon.

#689 10 years ago

Still need to make a DOHO screen, but I set this up:

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.15. PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.15. PM.png

#692 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Is there any reason the color LCD needs to have colorized dots rather than full images like the above?

There's no reason it couldn't be all high resolution. It's just not currently built for that, nor does it have all HD assets (and there'd be a ton to create). I'd have to rewrite all the display handling in a different system to do high def for everything, and get all the art in the game re-drawn. At a decent quality level.

#693 10 years ago

FYI - my cheap web host is having problems so the wiki site is offline (and has been for more than a day) -- just in case anybody was looking for it.

Here's how the DOHO for HD Moonlight Madness turned out, since no real artist volunteered

doho.jpgdoho.jpg

#695 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Throw a hi def cow in there doing some kung fu.

that one I'd really need someone else to make

#697 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

How about a flying super cow?

Baha.

#699 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

This may be a stupid question, but what does "DOHO" stand for, or in reference to?

Originally it was a one off easter egg reference to some guy's wife, Doris Ho. But then it became a thing.

http://www.maddes.net/pinball/doho_solved_200401.htm

#701 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I made that on a whim, it's hardly high art or anything, just a quick photoshop, but it's yours if you want it.

Too many o's man. It's not "hoooo" it's Ho.

#704 10 years ago

Totally putting that in. Thanks.

#709 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Eric, I found a wifi dongle that's supposed to work with this version of Ubuntu. Once the next update is ready, I'll try to configure it and let you know if it works or not. If so, it'll be an easy button for people who wanna network their CCC's via wifi. I think it was $15 shipped via Amazon Prime.
--Donnie

You don't really need the net for updates on the pre-configured boxes, it's all done via USB. But that's still cool. Would be handy for remote access.

#710 10 years ago

So for anybody not following along on the code updates thread over at pinballcontrollers, there's new stuff a-comin'. I added a new 'Party Mode' setting that has various options to mess with gameplay. When it's enabled, there's a banner in the attract mode to warn you about it. This whole thing is BangerJay's fault, by the way.

Options so far:
- Flip Count: There's a companion setting for how many flips you get. Whatever that's set to, you get that many flips, and then the game turns of the flippers, if your game is over or not.
- Drunk: Reversed flippers for the whole game
- Release to Flip: Flipper buttons work backwards - release to flip, hold to lower (props to Compy for this one)
- Newb: Pressing either flipper button flips both flippers (props to Mark over at Pinballcontrollers.com for this idea)

Still testing this stuff, but it'll be in the next main code update.

#716 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Is there anything you could do with drunk multiball to mix it up a little, kind of like the tumbleweed system?
I don't think drunk mb should pop up more than 2~ times in a game for a really good player.
Maybe have a mode where you're shooting at bottles within x seconds, using the stand ups and the drops. Or a super mode where targets/drops are worth more points and drunk mb qualifying is on hold until you complete the super target count. You might be able to use the match dots for some of this.

I worry a bit about over-using the targets, but I have to admit, the timed shooting gallery thing sounds pretty cool.

What I will do for now, though, is add settings for how much the second run of CVA and Drunk Multiball boost over the first. Right now, you can set the number of beer mug hits for the first Drunk MB, then it adds 3 for each subsequent (so, say 5 then 8 then 11, etc). New setting in the next release will allow you to change the boost amount so you could go up by 6 or 10 or whatever -- to limit how often it repeats. Same for Cowboys VS Aliens. The settings will default to what they do now, but you'll have the option to raise it if you want.

I'll have to think about the other thing.

#720 10 years ago
Quoted from dragon2000:

Couple of questions:
1. At the start of a game there has been no skill shot animation. 2. The sound has cut out, only coming back when the tune changes to multiball etc.

That would be a bug - but I thought it had been taken care of a few updates ago. If you're still getting it, if you can provide reproduction instructions to force it to happen, that would help.

As for speakers, I'm just using a cheap set of PC speakers in mine. Plugged in to the wall (so they're always on, meh) but they don't have the power that most people want out of pinball speakers. I know the BOP 2 project uses flipper fidelity speakers and an amp - not sure on the specific amp though. Or how they hook things up.

#723 10 years ago
Quoted from dragon2000:

Where did you direct the power cable for the speakers out of the pinball cabinet if you don't mind me asking please?

Out the hole in the back/bottom corner of the cabinet. Removed the metal screen covering it.

1 week later
#738 10 years ago

Yay, people posting about CCC! Woo.

Oh. It's just stuff about speakers.

#741 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Has the main code been updated with the stuff you were writing about above? (Party mode, etc.)

Some of the party stuff is up on the wiki - but it's not 100% current and not fully tested.

Edit: To ammend the party mode list above there's a 'no hold flippers' mode now, too. Man that's hard to get used to.

1 week later
#747 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Does holding a flipper for Super Skill-shot count as part of the Flip Count it should not count

It does not. Flip counting starts when the skill shot segment ends.

#749 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It needs to be part of the lamp matrix. 12v won't work.

You have to wire it in to the matrix as lamp #85. You have to find nearby connections to points in the same row/colum to make up 85. That's where the code controls it.

#752 10 years ago

I've heard from a few people now that they're hitting a crash bug in 'Move Your Train' -- I haven't hit this myself yet, so if anybody comes up with reproduction steps or can screenshot the terminal after a crash (if you ran it from an open terminal that stays so you can see the error) that would help track it down. Otherwise I'll just keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.

1 week later
#755 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

A friend of mine is having a crash bug when the right loop shot is made. However, sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. Trying to track down exactly what causes it to happen.

The right loop shot during Move That Train? Or during general gameplay? If during general gameplay, is it always when the loop is at a certain stage (of the three)? Or after it's completed? Tracking down odd problems is all about the details.

#758 10 years ago

Everything is logged to the console, so if you can provide the error to Eric, it would make it simple to fix. If you can't see this, I'm sure Eric could put in a line in the game to output to a text file to catch the error. Its very difficult to reproduce without this information.

Usually the really helpful bit with a crash is the error detail AFTER the game exits, which is harder to get into a file you can read later.

#763 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Eric,
So here is what we have figured out:
Any shot made to the right loop shuts down the game. The only exception is if you complete the shot via the skill shot (allowing you to build tumble weeds up, and the ball is not diverted into the pops.)
Otherwise, any shot to the right loop kills it.

Any shot to the right loop at any time during the game? Sounds like a dmd animation is missing/damaged. I've never had it crash just from hitting the loop in normal play. Just need to refresh/replace the dmd files, probably.

1 month later
#766 9 years ago

Heads up to any of the 'roll your own' crowd ... I just posted new code to the wiki that takes care of a crash bug in "Move That Train" if you don't 'win' the mode (Thanks to Hiho for rooting out how to reproduce it!)

You can just disable Move That Train in the settings to avoid the problem too, if you'd rather.

E

3 weeks later
#770 9 years ago

Another heads up to homebrewers - new code update on the wiki to fix 2 crash problems in the SS tribute. Thanks to noitbe1 for pointing one out.

1 week later
#773 9 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

The capcom system had power control over flippers like that.
Can the WPC boards / P-roc do that?

I could change the pulse time of the coil in software on the fly, yeah.

1 week later
#775 9 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Also. I realized that the bart brothers are 4 and there is this girl (bart sister!!?!) visible on the translite picture.
I wonder if a mode could be added with her or maybe she could be added in the bart animations or the shodowns...

I'm not a good enough artist to pull off a hot chick. If somebody wants to take a crack at art for it, great.

Would need somebody to record voice for it too.

#778 9 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

Out of curiosity, how are DMD animations handled in software? Are they just loaded as image sequences? Any special format or dimensions?

Yep, flip book style frames. 128x32 in three shades and black for CCC, since I stuck with the original art style.

#781 9 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

Do you export frames as a PNG sequence? JPEG? Bitmap?
Fairly new to the concept of P-ROC, but I love the idea of cooking up some animations in After Effects.

Yeah, a series of frames in png or jpeg works fine. For stuff like the bart brothers battles it would just be a wanted poster of the face, they don't really do any animations - well, "Boss Bart" that I added does. I suppose it would be kind of cool to do full size faces for the others like I did for Boss. FEATURE CREEP.

I convert the animation to a format the game uses and then use a tool I have for editing that format to add the color.

#782 9 years ago

Here's a sample - these are the two boss bart frames used. Standard and "hit". Since I made these up myself entirely from scratch (this character does not exist in the DMD assets AT ALL), there's no OMG LICENSING issue.

boss-00.pngboss-00.png

boss-hit-00.pngboss-hit-00.png

#783 9 years ago

Playing around with making full heads for the various bros, using the wanted posters that exist in the dmd as a starting point. Changed Big Bart's hat to Brown (compared to the backglass image) to make the raccoon tail and safety pin more obvious.

bros.pngbros.png

#784 9 years ago

enh?

betty.dmd.pngbetty.dmd.png

#788 9 years ago

Apparently I need to be very clear about this, because any time I'm not very clear about it, I get angry correspondence from Rick.

The art and audio assets required to make my project work are not available for public consumption anymore. Any updates I'm doing on it these days are for my own amusement and my own game.

Code updates that fix bugs are just that, code.

The code is still availablle on the web site because nothing in the python code infringes on anything. I keep it available so that other people who might want to do a PROC project can look at how I did things and maybe use some of the logic, ideas, or whatever.

1 week later
#791 9 years ago

I actually kind of like the Party Mode menu. The rest of it though, seems like the kind of overdone crap that I was always trying to avoid.

But hey, thanks for littering up my thread with it. That's super.

#793 9 years ago
Quoted from jonninemonic:

Eric. I love what you have done with CCC, but please stop acting childish and just give them some constructive criticism instead. Thanks,

No.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
429 posts in this topic match your search for posts by epthegeek. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.