moother (resized).png
D38F2F0E-EEFC-482A-8D8C-EECCB1A4D57C (resized).jpeg
cactus-polly (resized).jpg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpg
IMG_2393 (resized).jpg
IMG_2392 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi4 (resized).jpg
There are 1,573 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 32.
#801 9 years ago

Well, I don't think that reply was very constructive, hence my comment, but obviously there are other interpretations to that word.

Again, I love Eric's work and I'm so very grateful for his efforts, but I can't see how PMG is doing anything wrong building on a code base that is open source and create mods of their own. A more constructive view would be to comment on what PMG has done that is "overdone crap".

I'm also sad that a joint effort with such good intentions and goals broke up like it did. I think we all have lost something in that.

#802 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

For example, I wanted to buy the beer mug mod and a topper but never any responses.

If you read more carefully on their site you'll find out that it's a fan site for a code extension based on Eric's OSS - fully legit - and pinball mods created by a hobbyists group focused on a selected set of games - it's not a web shop. The majority of the (cooler) mods in the All Modding forum here at Pinside are made by hobbyists and are obviously not available for purchasing. However, I'm convinced that if you're persistent and ask nicely they will help you.

#803 9 years ago

When does this project CCC will be on the market in USA ?

#804 9 years ago
Quoted from jonninemonic:

Well, I don't think that reply was very constructive, hence my comment, but obviously there are other interpretations to that word.
Again, I love Eric's work and I'm so very grateful for his efforts, but I can't see how PMG is doing anything wrong building on a code base that is open source and create mods of their own. A more constructive view would be to comment on what PMG has done that is "overdone crap".
I'm also sad that a joint effort with such good intentions and goals broke up like it did. I think we all have lost something in that.

In what way was it not constructive? I like the party menu, I don't like the rest. I wouldn't want to have to work through several menus every time I start up the game (Difficulty, Mode, Shoe size, Sexual preference and whatever else he put in there). The Rescue the Train (which he always called "Bring the Train Safely Back to Cactus Canyon") is where the rift between us started. I didn't like the idea. I don't prefer things that shut down most of the shots in the game for too long. I didn't want to include it. Once I rejected a few other of his ideas, he decided he'd just make his own version, with blackjack and hookers, and his own bad ideas ... and you know what, forget the blackjack and hookers.

Some of Andre's ideas are great - like the lit beer mug (which he won't sell to anyone that isn't part of his club). Many of them are overdone and tacky - like the bolted on train toy with the blinking smoke stack, or the topper with running water that sounds like some kid is constantly peeing in a stream. He just wouldn't accept no for an answer on anything.

If I've learned anything in all of this, it's that I'm NOT altruistic enough for open source. I admit that. I still haven't made peace with the fact that he took the nuts and bolts of everything I worked on for a year and bastardized it so soon after I built it (I know, I did the same thing to the original CC, but it had been YEARS since work ceased on it).

Cactus Canyon languished in it's (generally agreed upon) unfinished state for a dozen years and nobody did anything. I finally get up the gumption to try to make something cool out of it, and when I get to the point of showing it to everybody some jackass trips me and stands on my back to say "Hey guys, look what I did to Cactus Canyon".

I know, I know, it's open source, he can do whatever the hell he wants and this stupid ginger can't say anything about it. "Fully Legit" and "Cool" aren't interchangeable in my head, but maybe I'm just dumb.

I wanted the source code to be available so people could learn from it, so maybe I should have used GPL or something -- not that it would have stopped Andre from doing what he did because I'm not exactly going to go after anybody with legal force for using my code whether it was open source or not; he just wouldn't have that excuse to crutch on.

#805 9 years ago

Thanks for a very constructive and enlightening answer.

1 month later
#806 9 years ago

So after watching the PAPA finals on PAPA.tv today, I decided to make some adjustments to some of the rules.

All the players seemed to just be running for stampede, and since I made 3 polly modes there's more to do along the way, so I decided to try to give the player more of a reason to actually shoot for them. So now, the two side ramp modes, if won, add 250,000 to the base stampede value, and the main (original) save polly mode, if won, adds 500,000 to the Stampede value. If all three are complete when you get to Stampede, the shots are worth 1 mil & 2 mil instead of 250k & 500k.

Additionally I adjusted the loops a bit so that when you're in showdown, shots to the loops will go fully around, rather than stopping the pops. So you can't farm bonus multiplier -- since that seemed to be another common (boring) tactic.

I'm somewhat tempted to cap the bonus x, since reaping a huge multiplier instead of playing the whole game seems kind of lame. Only make it go up to like 10x and then after that give out some paltry amount of points or something.

#807 9 years ago

Ha. I can't math. That would be 1.25/2.5

#808 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm somewhat tempted to cap the bonus x, since reaping a huge multiplier instead of playing the whole game seems kind of lame. Only make it go up to like 10x and then after that give out some paltry amount of points or something.

I know, I'll make this an option. Configurable cap amount. Off by default.

#809 9 years ago

You're cool Eric
LIONMAN! Be with you

#810 9 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

LIONMAN! Be with you

And also with you .

#812 9 years ago

For drunk multiball you should reverse the music aswell

1 week later
#813 9 years ago

Prodded Bowen about CCC on the PapaTV live stream and he said he'd like it if the super skill shot was able to be turned off via settings. I know it won't do much to sway his overall option of Cactus Canyon, but still.

Done. Committed to the github.

/wipes hands on pants

#814 9 years ago

Can you add Bowen Bart?

#815 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Can you add Bowen Bart?

Yes, but it would have bugs.

#816 9 years ago

I still need to get CCC for my CC. It is so much fun.

#817 9 years ago

Ok nice, thanks Eric.

#818 9 years ago

Eric, thanks for all of the work you have done with this project.

#819 9 years ago

Hello all
the link http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/ seen to be dead... same for you ?

#820 9 years ago
Quoted from Nobrain:

Hello all
the link http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/ seen to be dead... same for you ?

Yeah, my cheap web host seems to be down again.

#821 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, my cheap web host seems to be down again.

Trying to find a host so would like to know who not to use then!

#822 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Trying to find a host so would like to know who not to use then!

The company is "ProvisionHost" - my sites only there because I have a bunch of free credit for web hosting due to a screw up on their part.

#823 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes, but it would have bugs.

I second this, mabey as a random Bart would be awesome, also why is there no female Bart (EG the one on the back glass) mabey two more wont hurt considering I keep on killing Bubba Bart, mabey the female one should be called Bonnie Bart? Hmm some food for thought because I play CCC every week at SWL its an awesome game

#824 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

I second this, mabey as a random Bart would be awesome, also why is there no female Bart (EG the one on the back glass) mabey two more wont hurt considering I keep on killing Bubba Bart, mabey the female one should be called Bonnie Bart? Hmm some food for thought because I play CCC every week at SWL its an awesome game

Clearly it would have to be Betty Bart. Come on now. I made dmd bits for a female bro already, I need a saucy southern sounding lady to record audio for it.

Bowen hates cc. Not sure he'd be thrilled to be implanted.

#825 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Bowen hates cc. Not sure he'd be thrilled to be implanted.

What better reason? It would be like the secret "Bash Gary" on Lord of the Rings.

Just kidding. Bowen has a good sense of humor. Put it in.

#826 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Clearly it would have to be Betty Bart. Come on now. I made dmd bits for a female bro already, I need a saucy southern sounding lady to record audio for it.

Betty Bart...I love it!

If you could find someone that sounds like or can impersonate the voice already in there (or to even re-record the existing female clips at the same time), that would tie in perfectly.

#827 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I need a saucy southern sounding lady to record audio for it.

I may know someone who is married to a girl from the south... She tries to suppress her accent, but when she is tired or mad at me it comes back out.

#828 9 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Betty Bart...I love it!
If you could find someone that sounds like or can impersonate the voice already in there (or to even re-record the existing female clips at the same time), that would tie in perfectly.

There is no female villan voice in the game currently, so having it match anything isn't a priority. The 2 female characters that exist now are polly and the bartender chick.

#829 9 years ago

Fishing for audio help.

So, I need to find a female voice for Betty Bart - if anybody wants to take a crack at it, here's some sample stuff you could record and see how it goes.

1. Betty here to show these boys how it's done.
2. Are you a mama's boy, Sheriff?
3. This ain't over Sheriff!
4. Don't you know it's not nice to hit a Lady?
5. You're kinda cute, for a law man. (Messing with his head, you understand, right?)
6. (Some exclamations, like "Hey!", "Ow!", "Watch it!", "That Smarts!")

And on a related note, I could use a handful of 'expressive' bull sound effects. I realize that's a tall order. Angry grunts, heavy exhales, pain, that kind of thing. From a Bull. Everybody has stuff like that saved somewhere, don't they?

#830 9 years ago

You just keep my computer till this is finished and install it. This sounds to good.

#831 9 years ago

Again just thanks !!!

#832 9 years ago

Does the OP know if the original game code included any kind of music during the high score enter your initials, and the match segments? I just picked up a CC today, and was wondering this.

#833 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Does the OP know if the original game code included any kind of music during the high score enter your initials, and the match segments? I just picked up a CC today, and was wondering this.

It did not.

#834 9 years ago

OK thanks, so everything on my game is working correctly then.

#835 9 years ago

Eric, any luck getting a female volunteer for the voice quotes you need?

#836 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Eric, any luck getting a female volunteer for the voice quotes you need?

Nothing so far.

#837 9 years ago

what type of voice you need. Low suductive. Higher and cutesie?

#838 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what type of voice you need. Low suductive. Higher and cutesie?

Well, she's a rough, hot, criminal in the old west. So definitely more on the low/seductive end of the scale.

#839 9 years ago

I might have some sources. I know someone willing to give it a shot.

#840 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I may know someone who is married to a girl from the south... She tries to suppress her accent, but when she is tired or mad at me it comes back out.

I think you have your female voice you just need to get her mad at TheNoTrashCouger.

#841 9 years ago

that would work as well. She would have a great voice for that as well.

#842 9 years ago

I'll do the female

#844 9 years ago

Eric,
Sara will do it. Just come over soon and we can record it. I will make sure she is angry.

#845 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Eric,
Sara will do it. Just come over soon and we can record it. I will make sure she is angry.

Sara doesn't strike me as the outlaw cowgirl type.

#846 9 years ago

Oh just get a little bit of booze flowing...

#847 9 years ago

Does anyone know the purpose of the mine and boulder assy opening and closing? The ball can enter regardless of it being up or down, or anywhere in between.

#848 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Does anyone know the purpose of the mine and boulder assy opening and closing? The ball can enter regardless of it being up or down, or anywhere in between.

I think it's supposed to be harder when closed. But yeah, it's not really very effective.

#849 9 years ago

Almost impossible to backhand when all the way down.

#850 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Sara doesn't strike me as the outlaw cowgirl type.

I might be able to get Salma Hayek to do the voice if you think she'd be better suited to the role .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 1,573 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.