moother (resized).png
D38F2F0E-EEFC-482A-8D8C-EECCB1A4D57C (resized).jpeg
cactus-polly (resized).jpg
IMG_2396 (resized).jpg
IMG_2393 (resized).jpg
IMG_2392 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi-z2 (resized).jpg
ccc-pi4 (resized).jpg

There are 1,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.
#501 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

For those of you guys that roll your own, there's new code up on the wiki with a goofy thing I added over the weekend after watching Blazing Saddles.

In addition to the initial mission of your project, I love the fact that you continually add little things to this game!

I'm finally in the home stretch of getting my game converted and hope to be playing CCC within the next week or so. I can't wait!

#502 10 years ago

Dude, this stuff is way cool. You should add a " Andre is a douchebag " mode as well and make him one of the villains that rob the train.

#503 10 years ago

The P-ROC system opens up the potential to make games so much better. One question I have that I have not heard brought up yet is: With some excellent lost DOHO DMD display animations out there is there a way to add modes and these animations into the games somehow? The standout here is the top notch animation in IJ when the Ark is opened and the faces melt. I guess it was left out because it did not fit with the existing modes and ROM space was limited. IJ also has spear animations too with different levels of a decayed head attached from beginning of "Raiders". Another standout lost animation is the uncut multiball start in DH, where Clint shoots the thugs in the head. Not sure if this would ever be a possibility, so just thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

#504 10 years ago

I recently got CCC up and running and added the color display. All I can say is, "WOW!". I have to agree with what many others have said in regards to game play. There is just so much more to do now and everything seems to mesh so well with the original content.

I think the color renditions are fantastic. I don't know if it's my imagination, but the colors seem more vibrant than the other color displays I've seen.

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

The P-ROC system opens up the potential to make games so much better. One question I have that I have not heard brought up yet is: With some excellent lost DOHO DMD display animations out there is there a way to add modes and these animations into the games somehow?

To "add" animations, you'd basically have to do what Eric did with CC/CCC. That is, recreate the original gameplay completely, from scratch, using P-ROC. Then you can add whatever you want!

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

No. He actually emailed me to tell me it wasn't a worthwhile addtion and I should work on his "Bring the Train Safely Back to Cactus Canyon" mode he wants instead. Like I give a ...

What an ass clown. I can't believe this guy. I'm sure he is still sending that money over, right?

#507 10 years ago

No train mode? But.. but... but.. HOW WILL THE TRAIN GET SAFELY BACK TO THE CANYON?

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

For those of you guys that roll your own, there's new code up on the wiki with a goofy thing I added over the weekend after watching Blazing Saddles.

One of the most hilarious movies of all time.

#509 10 years ago

I'm finally in the home stretch of getting my CCC up and running. I see a lot of documentation for software installation/configuration, but not a lot of detail relating to hardware installation.

I've got a Windows 7 PC with the software up and running successfully with Eric's color kit. I removed the CPU board from the game and installed the P-ROC. Removed the DMD and installed Eric's color kit. I'm aware of the PC to P-ROC USB connection.

Question #1 - can someone verify the machine connections to the P-ROC? I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but I want to triple check everything before I fire it up. A picture would be very helpful.

Question # 2 - since I'm running the color kit and will be using the PC audio, can I remove the WPC audio/controller board completely from the machine? That would make a great mounting spot for my PC.

Question # 3 - Eric's color kit comes with a 4-pin molex cable to power the display. I assume this just plugs into the PC plug on the P-ROC?

Question # 4 - does anyone have any specific recommendations for adding a PC speaker setup into the machine? I'd like them to mount in the factory locations (behind the speaker grill and subwoofer in the cabinet). I'm not looking for bare speakers, but a 2.1 speaker system that's small enough to fit in those locations yet has good sound.

I'm *really* excited about finally getting this up and running!

#510 10 years ago

Question #1 - can someone verify the machine connections to the P-ROC? I'm pretty sure I've got it right, but I want to triple check everything before I fire it up. A picture would be very helpful.

The weird bit I remember about hooking up the P-ROC is that there are 2 ribbon cables that don't get put back on. And with the color LCD, the DMD cable goes away too. I'll attach a picture of mine installed. Note, at that point, it still had the DMD cable on - that's the one going up top.

Question # 2 - since I'm running the color kit and will be using the PC audio, can I remove the WPC audio/controller board completely from the machine? That would make a great mounting spot for my PC.

I think so - it's just the "A/V Board" and you're not using A, or V.

Question # 3 - Eric's color kit comes with a 4-pin molex cable to power the display. I assume this just plugs into the PC plug on the P-ROC?

Yessir.

Question # 4 - does anyone have any specific recommendations for adding a PC speaker setup into the machine? I'd like them to mount in the factory locations (behind the speaker grill and subwoofer in the cabinet). I'm not looking for bare speakers, but a 2.1 speaker system that's small enough to fit in those locations yet has good sound.
I'm *really* excited about finally getting this up and running!

Can't help with this last one. Not using PC speakers myself. HeMan40 and several others are. Hoepfully one of them will chime in.

E

proc.jpgproc.jpg

#511 10 years ago

Just a last call on the second batch of monitors. Ordering parts this week to put together and have one last one unaccounted for at this point.

1 week later
#512 10 years ago

I found a good place to connect the audio from the headphone jack on my laptop to the audio board on the Cactus Canyon. No modifications required on the CC audio board, just convert the stereo to mono and connect the signal to the top of C9 and the ground to the bottom of C35. If you accidentally reverse the connections or touch the top of R14 you won't damage anything.

To do this, I used the following 10ft double shielded VGA cable with built in 3.5mm stereo cable from amazon (it has an extra long 3.5mm wire to attach to a laptop):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015AAYZA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

To convert the stereo to mono, I used a female 1/8" inline phone jack from Radio Shack (part#274-0274), soldered a 1k resistor to each lug, connected the other ends of the resistors together, and soldered the "signal" red wire to them. The "ground", purple wire, was soldered to the ground lug on the jack. Finally, A mini-alligator clip was soldered to each wire. The mini-alligator clips seem to hold fine.

Sound is good without much hum. There seems to be plenty of adjustment range using the computer to set an initial volume and the coin door buttons to adjust around this level.

Audio_Board_Connection.jpgAudio_Board_Connection.jpg Stereo_to_Mono_1.jpgStereo_to_Mono_1.jpg Stereo_to_Mono_2.jpgStereo_to_Mono_2.jpg

#513 10 years ago

Be careful of taking flash pictures of those uncovered ROM windows.

The flash can corrupt them.

Putting a small piece of tape on them will protect them.

#514 10 years ago

I set one of these up last week. Was flawless using the wiki pages for help. Went with a windows 7 build. I used the wpc95 A/V board for audio - a broken one that has a blown out HV section on video. I mounted a cheap monitor I bought at goodwill for $25 in my machine, decased it, and it worked perfectly for color display. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. Epthegeek, you're a genius. The game is so good and so polished. It feels like it was professionally done. I wanted to customize a few things and found all the options I needed in the game settings menu. Now I have a spare working WPC95 A/V board, a spare WPC 95 cpu board, and a spare working DMD

The only thing I noticed was that the WPC 95 A/V modification instructions talk about requiring some resistors to mux the stereo output for mono input on the sound board. It's really not needed. Just take only the left channel and you're good.

#515 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I set one of these up last week. Was flawless using the wiki pages for help. Went with a windows 7 build. I used the wpc95 A/V board for audio - a broken one that has a blown out HV section on video. I mounted a cheap monitor I bought at goodwill for $25 in my machine, decased it, and it worked perfectly for color display. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. Epthegeek, you're a genius. The game is so good and so polished. It feels like it was professionally done. I wanted to customize a few things and found all the options I needed in the game settings menu. Now I have a spare working WPC95 A/V board, a spare WPC 95 cpu board, and a spare working DMD
The only thing I noticed was that the WPC 95 A/V modification instructions talk about requiring some resistors to mux the stereo output for mono input on the sound board. It's really not needed. Just take only the left channel and you're good.

Some of the samples, most notably the music in Cowboys Vs Aliens are in stereo -- so you're missing a bit there. Not a huge deal though, I guess.

Edit: Also - It's awesome that you slapped it all together yourself and even more awesomer that you're enjoying it! Yay.

#516 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I found a good place to connect the audio from the headphone jack on my laptop to the audio board on the Cactus Canyon. No modifications required on the CC audio board, just convert the stereo to mono and connect the signal to the top of C9 and the ground to the bottom of C35. If you accidentally reverse the connections or touch the top of R14 you won't damage anything.
To do this, I used the following 10ft double shielded VGA cable with built in 3.5mm stereo cable from amazon (it has an extra long 3.5mm wire to attach to a laptop):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015AAYZA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
To convert the stereo to mono, I used a female 1/8" inline phone jack from Radio Shack (part#274-0274), soldered a 1k resistor to each lug, connected the other ends of the resistors together, and soldered the "signal" red wire to them. The "ground", purple wire, was soldered to the ground lug on the jack. Finally, A mini-alligator clip was soldered to each wire. The mini-alligator clips seem to hold fine.
Sound is good without much hum. There seems to be plenty of adjustment range using the computer to set an initial volume and the coin door buttons to adjust around this level.

Awesome write-up! I'm going to give this a try - thank you so much!! I love this project!

#517 10 years ago

Can anyone identify what has to happen to enable "last call"?

#519 10 years ago

Yep. Last call is a special multiball you only get for a match. Since its free play and match is dumb otherwise.

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Be careful of taking flash pictures of those uncovered ROM windows.
The flash can corrupt them.
Putting a small piece of tape on them will protect them.

Thanks for the warning. So happens I lucked out and my camera did not need to use its flash to take the photo of the board.

#521 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

True, you don't really need both channels. I just combined the two channels to be complete. You never know if someone might have the balance shifted. Even if you only use one channel, I think it's still a good idea to put the 1k resistor in series, to protect the circuitry if you accidentally touch an incorrect place.

#522 10 years ago

Coming soon: Replays

Someone requested this recently, but I can't remember who it was to let them know. I kind of brushed it off then. Replays on freeplay seems silly to me. But then markmon asked for a way to earn last call rather than get it only from the match.

Well alright.

So I'm adding a replay system that has several config options. You can set the score to a specific number and turn off auto adjust, you can use the game's average score, or you can use the average score plus a pad to raise it up a bit. Award options right now are Extra Ball or Last call. That way if you want the replays on, but still like the lottery style Last Call match, you can use the EB for the replay.

Sounds good? Maybe?
E

#523 10 years ago

FYI Homebrewers - the above mentioned replay system is in the code on the wiki now. Still early, might have issues. Try if you dare!

#524 10 years ago

I have missed a few updates. If I install the latest one I get everything correct?

#525 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have missed a few updates. If I install the latest one I get everything correct?

Yeah, the pre-packed updates I send out for the USB update system contain everything added to the game since it's original release. The only issue might be if you're REALLY out of date the change to the new service menu might cause things to crash, if your old settings & data aren't deleted.

The pre-packed updates lag behind the wiki releases, as I wait longer to test/verify stuff before rolling it out to pre-config users to try to be safe about breaking things. That, and I don't want to update too often or people will skip them

#526 10 years ago

You wanna work on FH next?

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So I'm adding a replay system that has several config options. You can set the score to a specific number and turn off auto adjust, you can use the game's average score, or you can use the average score plus a pad to raise it up a bit. Award options right now are Extra Ball or Last call. That way if you want the replays on, but still like the lottery style Last Call match, you can use the EB for the replay.
Sounds good? Maybe?

I set my Shadow to EB for replay, it gives you something to aim for. I wish it still used the replay animation though, love that. Anyways, I don't have a CC, just following along, but my 2¢ is that's a nice addition.

#528 10 years ago

I'm having trouble getting my color display to work properly. I had it to the point where the window for the CCC program would show, but the game image wasn't centered on the display and it was only about 2/3 the size of the display. I tried going into my computer's monitor settings (windows xp) and in desperation, changed the font size from normal to large and also changed the screen size and dpi settings. None of the changes worked, so I went back to the original settings with the 2/3 image. However, when I rebooted the computer and tried to run the CCC program, the game wouldn't start at all even though I didn't change anything in it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#529 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I'm having trouble getting my color display to work properly. I had it to the point where the window for the CCC program would show, but the game image wasn't centered on the display and it was only about 2/3 the size of the display. I tried going into my computer's monitor settings (windows xp) and in desperation, changed the font size from normal to large and also changed the screen size and dpi settings. None of the changes worked, so I went back to the original settings with the 2/3 image. However, when I rebooted the computer and tried to run the CCC program, the game wouldn't start at all even though I didn't change anything in it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure what got wonked to make it not start up, but for the size & position of the DVD display that's controlled by settings in the service menu in the standard settings.

#530 10 years ago

epthegeek: thanks for implementing this . The last call has been a fun addition to the game and works well.

Hla78: we need more than "the game wouldn't start at all". Run the game from a console window and paste the output. That shows the error.

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

epthegeek: thanks for implementing this . The last call has been a fun addition to the game and works well.
Hla78: we need more than "the game wouldn't start at all". Run the game from a console window and paste the output. That shows the error.

Thanks for suggesting it. I like adding in GOOD suggestions. Ahem.

Speaking of which, apparently some guy asked Andre to make the bozo ball optional, because, you know, it's his project or something. Anyway, that's definitely something that I should have done and just didn't really think about. So that will be in the next update. Thanks, guy who suggested it to Andre.

I think I'll finally do a tournament mode too. Lock in the skill shot awards so they're the same for everybody, take the random out of the bounty awards, that kind of thing.

#532 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Take a look at the Windows setup guide on the CCC WIKI - there are some helpful tips for fixing this.

#533 10 years ago

When I try to get the CCC program to run, the window says pyprocgame configuration not found at config.yaml. I don't understand this because the program was running before I tried changing the display settings and I did not make any changes to the config.yaml file.

#534 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

When I try to get the CCC program to run, the window says pyprocgame configuration not found at config.yaml. I don't understand this because the program was running before I tried changing the display settings and I did not make any changes to the config.yaml file.

Read the step by step install instructions on the WIKI - you'll likely need to change the path names in this file to get it to work. There is a sample file shown there.

#535 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Thanks for suggesting it. I like adding in GOOD suggestions. Ahem.
Speaking of which, apparently some guy asked Andre to make the bozo ball optional, because, you know, it's his project or something. Anyway, that's definitely something that I should have done and just didn't really think about. So that will be in the next update. Thanks, guy who suggested it to Andre.
I think I'll finally do a tournament mode too. Lock in the skill shot awards so they're the same for everybody, take the random out of the bounty awards, that kind of thing.

What is the bozo ball?

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What is the bozo ball?

It's the standard deal where if you have a terrible ball 1 and 2, an extra ball lights. for CCC it's on the outlanes. The name comes from WMS manuals for the adjustment to turn it off. I didn't make that up.

#537 10 years ago

Loving my CCC

Thank you Eric

Do you still want bugs reported ?

#538 10 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Loving my CCC
Thank you Eric
Do you still want bugs reported ?

Sure. I always want to fix something that is broken. Just give me the best details you can.

#539 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigdaddy1000:

Read the step by step install instructions on the WIKI - you'll likely need to change the path names in this file to get it to work. There is a sample file shown there.

After typing the last entry, I went into my gameroom and the CCC program was running in spite of the error message. Now I just have to get the color image sized and centered.

#540 10 years ago

Bozo Ball thing is in. Can turn it on/off, and can adjust the amount of minutes the first 2 balls have to be less than to light it (1 to 5 minutes).

Now I'm working on tournament mode and am curious if anybody has input.

So far:
- You enable it by holding both flippers in attract mode.
- Display shows tournament mode activated with a timer.
- Press start during timer as directed to start tournament mode game.
- During tournament mode play the "Free Play" line changes to "Tournament" on the score display.

- Super skill shot is disabled entirely.

- Regular Skill shot locks to 5 standard prizes: Bounty, Bonus X, Rank Advance, Mine Advance, and Light Quick Draw.
- All conditional, and if not available "100,000" is substituted for that prize. So say if bounty is already lit, that slot shows the 100 Grand prize instead.
- Same prizes for all three balls.

- Bounty awards locks into a set rotation, tracked to the player. So everybody gets the same thing for first bounty, second bounty, etc.
- Extra ball and some other bounty awards are removed.

- Match is disabled - Regardless of config setting, when in tournament mode, the match (which might give a player last call) is disabled.
- Last call CAN still be available as a replay award during tournament mode, if you have replays enabled.

At this point, earnable extra balls via gameplay are still there.

Am I on the right track here? I'm not 100% versed in tournament stuff.

#541 10 years ago

Have both flippers / player tournament mode and an settings menu control for it. Don't trun off Extra balls make that it's own setting and when set to 0 it should give points.

In some tournaments they trun off ball savers so make that it's own setting as well.

#542 10 years ago

That seems about right, epthegeek. Glad you're implementing this (along with the host of other features).

You will -NEVER- be finished!

#543 10 years ago

Just wanted to throw in a quick public thanks to Markmon! He's been finding and reporting issues with the code lately, which benefits everyone using it. He found some issues I hadn't come across yet, and tracked down exactly what was causing some things that had been vaguely reported before so they could actually get fixed.

Three cheers for Markmon!

#544 10 years ago

Hey Eric,
It's taken me forever to get to installing this thing (we've been moving) but doing it right now.
Is there a photo of how the LCD is mounted? Can't seem to find installation instructions on the wiki but there are two sets of holes on the mount. I don't wanna be too low or high.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Don't worry. Figured it out. Went to colorDMD. Forgot you were using the same mount.

#545 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Hey Eric,
It's taken me forever to get to installing this thing (we've been moving) but doing it right now.
Is there a photo of how the LCD is mounted? Can't seem to find installation instructions on the wiki but there are two sets of holes on the mount. I don't wanna be too low or high.
Thanks.
EDIT:
Don't worry. Figured it out. Went to colorDMD. Forgot you were using the same mount.

There's settings in the service menu to move the window up/down, too, btw. So you can adjust it to the right spot no matter what.

#546 10 years ago

There was a mount I could have bought for mounting my LCD?

#547 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

There's settings in the service menu to move the window up/down, too, btw. So you can adjust it to the right spot no matter what.

...unless your computer is only running 68 mhz. Time to get a better computer for CCC.

1 week later
#548 10 years ago

Fun with bonus posted a video I hadn't seen before of Bruce Nightingale and Ron Hallett, Jr. showing off some of the stuff in CCC. Has the color screen in it, but due to the lighting the color can be a bit hard to see. And they show off some of the Tribute modes.

http://funwithbonus.com/cactus-canyon-continued/

As I've seen with several people who roll their own, the computer that it's running doesn't have enough horsepower to keep up fully with the game. Most noticeable in the light show for Cowboys VS Aliens which is supposed to stay in time with the music. I should probably shoot a video of what that's really supposed to do as a benchmark or something.

#549 10 years ago

Yeah, the 68 mhz computer I was running CCC on was so slow that it had cowboys vs. indians. I have the parts for a new computer on the way.

#550 10 years ago

Got my color screen hooked up and looks great Eric! Thanks again for the help.
I also picked up that board to recommended for the shutoff. Might be picking your brain after I go through your guide.

Adriano

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 1,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-p-roc-project/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.