Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ncbk_br80
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4168.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg
Cactus.side.jpg
CC006.jpg
CC007.jpg
CC008.jpg
CC75.jpg
CC74.jpg
CC73.jpg
CC72.jpg
CC72.5.jpg
CC70.jpg
CC69.jpg
CC69.5.jpg
CC68.5.jpg
CC68.2.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Recently finished up this Cactus Canyon cabinet restoration for a fellow Pinsider.
I was asked to just tackle the cabinet, the playfield was sent to Captain Neo for touch-ups/clear-coating, and the owner will do the re-assemble and install. Nothing ground breaking with this cab restore, just wanted to give it the attention this title deserves. Pictures are more fun to look at than reading, so I'll keep my commentary below to a minimum.
Fairly standard, beat-up, routed cabinet:
CC1.jpg
CC2.jpg
CC3.jpg
CC4.jpg
CC5.jpg
CC6.jpg
CC7.jpg
CC8.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Sanding begins along with bondo work:
CC9.jpg
CC10.jpg
CC11.jpg
CC12.jpg
CC13.jpg
CC14.jpg
CC15.jpg
CC16.jpg

#3 3 years ago

More bondo and sanding:
CC17.jpg
CC18.jpg
CC19.jpg
CC20.jpg
CC21.jpg
CC22.jpg
CC23.jpg
CC24.jpg

#4 3 years ago

Tape-up and Primer:
CC25.jpg
CC26.jpg
CC27.jpg
CC28.jpg
CC29.jpg
CC30.jpg
CC31.jpg

#5 3 years ago

Can't forget about the Backbox:
CC32.jpg
CC33.jpg
CC34.jpg
CC35.jpg
CC36.jpg
CC37.jpg
CC38.jpg

#6 3 years ago

What's with this bottom section? More bondo needed:
CC39.jpg
CC40.jpg
CC41.jpg
CC42.jpg
CC43.jpg
CC44.jpg
CC45.jpg

#7 3 years ago

More Primer and time for the DIY Paint Booth:
CC46.jpg
CC47.jpg
CC48.jpg
CC49.jpg
CC50.jpg
CC51.jpg
CC52.jpg
CC53.jpg

#8 3 years ago

Wood Panel for front decal, plus 2PAC cleared the Backbox Warning:
CC54.jpg
CC55.jpg
Jim McCune trick for front decal panel.
CC56.jpg
CC57.jpg
CC58.jpg
CC59.jpg
CC60.jpg
CC61.jpg

#9 3 years ago

More cab decals installed:
CC62.jpg
CC63.jpg
CC64.jpg
CC65.jpg
CC66.jpg
CC67.jpg
CC68.2.jpg
CC68.5.jpg

#10 3 years ago

Final Pictures:
CC69.5.jpg
CC69.jpg
CC70.jpg
CC72.5.jpg
CC72.jpg
CC73.jpg
CC74.jpg

CC75.jpg

#11 3 years ago

Awesome job, man! Beautiful restore!

Great line-up in the back too. I see some last-played scores on at least two of the machines, I assume you took some well needed pinball breaks while doing this project? Haha.

#12 3 years ago

Owner is going to be very happy. Looks great and fun game.

#13 3 years ago

Yes, I think the owner is going to be very happy!! Outstanding work!!

#14 3 years ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

#15 3 years ago

Kudos and accolades to you for a great job.

#16 3 years ago

Looks great,what was the time frame to redo the cabinet.

#17 3 years ago

What would be cool on threads like this, to go with the pictures of the various finished stages, is pictures of the tools/products used. Unless that's all a big secret.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Looks great,what was the time frame to redo the cabinet.

Thanks all...it took about a month to finish everything up

Quoted from epthegeek:

What would be cool on threads like this, to go with the pictures of the various finished stages, is pictures of the tools/products used. Unless that's all a big secret.

No big secret at all, if you have any questions...fire away. But the tools & products used were nothing special...Milwaukee Heat Gun + metal scrapper, All Purpose Bondo & Dewalt Orbital Sander, Paint and Primer, and lots of generic elbow grease.

#19 3 years ago

Killer job Pat, you're gonna have to watch out or you're going to be the go-to restore guy in SoCal!

I was going to get Pat to do my EATPM, but when I brought it over a friend of his made me an offer I couldn't turn down so I sold it instead. But I'd trust him with any of my games in a heartbeat, I've seen his work in person, and it's immaculate.

#20 3 years ago

Hmm, I've got an F-14 cabinet that's in need of work...

#21 3 years ago

Curious about sanding process. All with an orbital? What grit to start and through finish?

Also curious about painting / priming. Assuming a paint gun? What one?

These threads make it look so easy. But I know it is a lot of work!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Robert, talk with Pat, he's a great guy, and does awesome work. He's seriously obsessive, it's a little ridiculous. But in the best way.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Robert, I'll send you a PM...funny thing, your old website with the Cactus Canyon restore is one I referenced for this project.

Quoted from Elicash:

Curious about sanding process. All with an orbital? What grit to start and through finish?
Also curious about painting / priming. Assuming a paint gun? What one?

For the sanding, it was mostly with the orbital, some by hand. Started with 120 & 150 grit..then onto 220 and 320.
The painting was done with a cheap harbor freight purple gun, but best place for restore guidance is Bryan Kelly's thread:
It's the mecca of restore knowledge - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

Quoted from Aurich:

He's seriously obsessive, it's a little ridiculous. But in the best way.

Admittedly, yes a little ridiculous sometimes...it's the rare case where some minor OCD is a benefit.

#24 3 years ago

Just a friendly notation as we crossed this bridge when we did my CC decals last year.
We ordered a new set from PPS last Sept, they were applied and properly lined up with the barbed wire Ect. Once the legs were installed, part of the black block that shows the color test cubes on the coin door decal, was visible when the legs were put on. The factory decals did not have this to start. Since the PPS decals were supposed to be from the original films, PPS was contacted, they ultimately re-ran the decals and omitted the black and color test cubes. We had to install all new cab decals so the coloration, and texture matched. First pic was my OE factory decals, next 2 are the Next Gen replacements. Check your legs and see what you get.

CC008.jpg

CC007.jpg

CC006.jpg

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Check your legs and see what you get

I notified Rick about the CC decals being screwed up January 2013. The problem is the black on the sides is supposed to go to the rear of the game but they printed them wrong because they used the right side decal for both sides.

Game turned out OK even with a small blemish .

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNqOt822w-1xIVKNnM79zPCVnWWoaK9TSrGCkcD

#26 3 years ago

My Game is HUO, I'm second owner and never saw them front or back on the OE decals, then again the right side was so wrinkled the whole length of the game, when I peeled the decal off, I found 3 layers on the right side, each one revealed that someone at Williams applied them crooked twice continuing to layer another one over the top till they got it right.

Cactus.side.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

#27 3 years ago

Can I ask what black paint did you use for the cabinet? I did a CC and MB restore years ago and found painting the cabinet black made it really hard for the corners of the decal top stick. I thought I screwed up and should have left it primed. I will be doing my FT decals in a few months and would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

PS> Fantastic job!

Quoted from BR80:

Thanks all...it took about a month to finish everything up

No big secret at all, if you have any questions...fire away. But the tools & products used were nothing special...Milwaukee Heat Gun + metal scrapper, All Purpose Bondo & Dewalt Orbital Sander, Paint and Primer, and lots of generic elbow grease.

#28 3 years ago

Interesting about the decals, I wondered why the sides didn't have the same color bar as the front did...glad it was the newer set.

Quoted from Edster:

Can I ask what black paint did you use for the cabinet? I did a CC and MB restore years ago and found painting the cabinet black made it really hard for the corners of the decal top stick.

Under the decals, used a standard semi-gloss black rustoleum paint. But I don't think the type of paint would cause your decals to stick any better or worse. My guess would be the adhesive on the decal being the issue before the type of paint underneath.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside