(Topic ID: 178013)

Cable companies in Chicago Burbs - which is LESS evil?!

By pinball_faz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Agent_Hero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which cable provider is LESS evil?”

• Wide Open West (WOW) 4 votes
      67%
    • Comcast (Xfinity) 2 votes
      33%

(6 votes)

#1 7 years ago

ATTN: Those in the Chicago Burbs

I've been with the Evil Sith Lord (AKA Wide Open West - WOW) for years. They are just so darn expensive and I believe I can get a better price going to Comcast Xfinity (triple play).

I know they all are evil, but is the level of evil so much worse than WOW that I should not jump?

Don't want a satellite solution and ATT is on my naughty list for the rest of time.

I'd appreciate response to the poll and/or comments.
    Thanks,
    faz

#3 7 years ago

surprises me WOW is so expensive now.. I remember many years ago they came in with super low pricing to compete, now they've gottten big so raise prices.

It's a shame you don't like ATT, I love my uverse. Nearly zero issues, and they'll drop a channel if they can't negotiate (rather than just give in like comcast does). I would NEVER sign up for comcast.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

surprises me WOW is so expensive now.. I remember many years ago they came in with super low pricing to compete, now they've gottten big so raise prices.
    It's a shame you don't like ATT, I love my uverse. Nearly zero issues, and they'll drop a channel if they can't negotiate (rather than just give in like comcast does). I would NEVER sign up for comcast.
    » YouTube video

comcast is the absolute worst

#5 7 years ago

Cut the cable and run would be my recommendation but I assume there is a reason for your self inflicted pain.

#6 7 years ago

Love the video.... but hate the reality of the Cable Company oligopoly across the US.

ATT is on the no-fly list again due to price. I used to have wireless with them... holy cow, the rates were 2X what I've been able to do with T-Mobile (which works just fine for the whole family). Also, the price they charged for a basic land line was unconscionable. The sins of the past dictated my wholesale disdain. Service was always good in the past. I'll take a look at U-Verse but I'm forecasting that I'm just going to be floored by the price.

Thanks for the insight,
    faz

#7 7 years ago

I cut the cable and haven't looked back. Was concerned I wouldn't have enough content and it's the other way around. No need for a DVR. No commercials. Thousands of movies and entire series to watch at our leisure. Roku interface is outstanding. Even live tv channels are available. Saving nearly $1000 per year and having a much better tv experience.

#8 7 years ago

"Cable" shows are not so much a deal. I watch 3-4 shows a week on regular cable. The kids more, but even then, not so much. I mostly need internet access to stream Amazon Prime etc.
    faz

#9 7 years ago

Can you actually get both WOW and Comcast at the same address? If so, you are in a minority of cable customers nationally. Usually you can only get 1 cable and 1 land line phone company because of the franchise agreements.

Is WOW a last mile carrier or running on someone else's network?

By the way you can always get a better deal from Comcast if you are coming from another carrier. The deals are usually time bound, but if you manage it, you can get better deals this way. Just negotiate.

Comcast has terrible customer and technician service, at least in ATL, so plan on a bad 30-60 days to get all your stuff straightened out.

I have triple play, but pay too much. I need ESPN for college football and high-speed data for working at home. It adds up quickly.

Norcal, how do you get your internet if you cut the cord, wireless only?

#10 7 years ago

I can get WOW, Comcast and U-Verse.
    All are in my area.
    faz

#11 7 years ago

Look up Playstation Vue. It works best with a PS4 or Amazon Fire box, but lags on the Fire stick. Also works with several other similar devices, but those two are best. I have the $34.99/month package and it's one of the few options in Indy that gives me CSN Chicago. Gotta have my Blackhawks and Cubs games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cable-companies-in-chicago-burbs-which-is-less-evil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.