Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pindel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ab1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2841 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6551 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2862 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2835 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0600 (resized).jpg
    12603_IMG_6178 (resized).jpg
    6B8EE73C-B445-49A7-91FE-1116F8FF95E1 (resized).jpeg
    A008D833-28B3-4BCB-A2D0-9C8BFC7EE543 (resized).jpeg
    AA02ECE8-7F73-46D2-BE24-AB29EE3E27E7 (resized).jpeg
    BB557B5F-5A25-49C4-AAC3-44E4F45BE664 (resized).jpeg
    B76D3EEE-6DB9-4A4E-B300-41728E5A0D3D (resized).jpeg
    A0371CA9-506D-4F0A-935D-4E4E5F0D88A2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 9 years ago

I am just finishing up adding new decals to a second cabinet. How hard is it to move the playfield, head and internal cabinet hardware to this cabinet? I have never done this but have shopped out a few games. Doesn't seem like that much but I want to know what I am getting myself into?

#2 9 years ago

Depends on the game. I've done this many times. It looks like a pain and for the most part it is but I figure onces it done its done and you'll always have the better of the two in your collection. Go for it.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#3 9 years ago

Is it a new cabinet? Groundwire can be a bit of work, but otherwise it is very easy.

#4 9 years ago

Have done a few, have a few more to do...the worst part is storing both till you get the time to do the swap!! LOL!! Seriously, it depends on if you are swapping everything, or if some parts are already on the cabinet you are swapping to...like the transformer, and all the hardware for the lockdown bar, and all that other little stuff that has to line up and fit just so...

Phoebe

#5 9 years ago

It is the same exact cabinet just different levels of fade so the holes should match up perfect. There is a ground braid inside.

#6 9 years ago

it really isn't very hard. I like to do it with both cabs off their legs and on the floor, makes it easier to drop the playfield in

6 years later
    #7 3 years ago

Do I post a new topic or thread necromancy here?

My question is about how many hours does it take folks to do the swap? I need to do a calculation whether it's cheaper to do it myself and get a divorce. Or just send it out. Thank you in advance.

#8 3 years ago

Hard to say based on various skill level. I could do it now without fear or worry very fast. When I first started pinball it all seemed super complex and scary. Things can go wrong if you mix wire plugs. You could blow a board. If you label everything and double check with photos you should be good. Basically anyone with patience could do it. Not something to get in a hurry with. I’ve included a picture of a wire harness for the head of an EBD. The person I bought the game from had to throw in the towel. I actually enjoyed putting it all back together and tested. I would say go for it and learn something new!

A0371CA9-506D-4F0A-935D-4E4E5F0D88A2 (resized).jpegA0371CA9-506D-4F0A-935D-4E4E5F0D88A2 (resized).jpegB76D3EEE-6DB9-4A4E-B300-41728E5A0D3D (resized).jpegB76D3EEE-6DB9-4A4E-B300-41728E5A0D3D (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

Hard to say based on various skill level. I could do it now without fear or worry very fast. When I first started pinball it all seemed super complex and scary. Things can go wrong if you mix wire plugs. You could blow a board. If you label everything and double check with photos you should be good. Basically anyone with patience could do it. Not something to get in a hurry with. I’ve included a picture of a wire harness for the head of an EBD. The person I bought the game from had to throw in the towel. I actually enjoyed putting it all back together and tested. I would say go for it and learn something new![quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the reply. That is absolutely incredible. Some people play crosswords. Some people resurrect a wire harness.

I think you just talked me out of it. And maybe into it. My deal is I have a TAF. I did a speed refurbish on it. Epoxy'd playfield pits. new plastics. changed coils. New hardware. coin door. pinball pro speakers. replaced some coils. but dude. it was the brutalz.

I'm glad I did it because I feel really comfy fixing things. But that patience thing. Big problem.

Now what do I do to get a nice clean cabinet? Are there places I can ship it to have the cab and pf swapped plus anything else that makes sense to upgrade. Pinsiders who do it?

#10 3 years ago

New PF and artwork TAF is around 12-15k done IMO. Most people who do this will buy a donor game and restore to sell to make 5-8k. Shipping alone would be about 1,200.00 round trip. For that reason it is hard to find someone to do it. Not many people want to pay 5k plus 3k in parts to get it done. I would suggest micro art “Rad Cals” for cabinet which is easy and popular. I would buy a new playfield and Rotissierie and do it yourself. I think TAF is one of the easiest swaps to do. I only had to solder one coil. The last one I did i didn’t even unplug the PF wires.

6B8EE73C-B445-49A7-91FE-1116F8FF95E1 (resized).jpeg6B8EE73C-B445-49A7-91FE-1116F8FF95E1 (resized).jpegA008D833-28B3-4BCB-A2D0-9C8BFC7EE543 (resized).jpegA008D833-28B3-4BCB-A2D0-9C8BFC7EE543 (resized).jpegAA02ECE8-7F73-46D2-BE24-AB29EE3E27E7 (resized).jpegAA02ECE8-7F73-46D2-BE24-AB29EE3E27E7 (resized).jpegBB557B5F-5A25-49C4-AAC3-44E4F45BE664 (resized).jpegBB557B5F-5A25-49C4-AAC3-44E4F45BE664 (resized).jpeg

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

New PF and artwork TAF is around 12-15k done IMO. Most people who do this will buy a donor game and restore to sell to make 5-8k. Shipping alone would be about 1,200.00 round trip. For that reason it is hard to find someone to do it. Not many people want to pay 5k plus 3k in parts to get it done. I would suggest micro art “Rad Cals” for cabinet which is easy and popular. I would buy a new playfield and Rotissierie and do it yourself. I think TAF is one of the easiest swaps to do. I only had to solder one coil. The last one I did i didn’t even unplug the PF wires.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from pindel:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

the rotisserie is a must. I didn't even know those existed before I showed up here.

I get you on the economics. That doesn't make a ton of sense to send it out and back. It's good to hear TAF is one of the easier ones. But you guys still impress me with your kung fu and patience.

Riddle me this. Should I do the cab swap at same time as pf? I *think* that's the way to do it, but want to make sure I haven't lost my mind. I figure I can pull it all out of the old cab and use the garage floor for a month.

Again, assume wife doesn't throw me out of my home.

2 weeks later
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from happyclan:

the rotisserie is a must. I didn't even know those existed before I showed up here.
    I get you on the economics. That doesn't make a ton of sense to send it out and back. It's good to hear TAF is one of the easier ones. But you guys still impress me with your kung fu and patience.
    Riddle me this. Should I do the cab swap at same time as pf? I *think* that's the way to do it, but want to make sure I haven't lost my mind. I figure I can pull it all out of the old cab and use the garage floor for a month.
    Again, assume wife doesn't throw me out of my home.

If your just doing decals I don’t think it matters. If you doing major bondo and glue repair I would pull playfield. For TAF I would get the radcals from mirco. Supper nice look and easy install.
    Del

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

If your just doing decals I don’t think it matters. If you doing major bondo and glue repair I would pull playfield. For TAF I would get the radcals from mirco. Supper nice look and easy install.
    Del

Thanks! I did do a bond job on the existing cabinet but she is rough inside.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from happyclan:

Thanks! I did do a bond job on the existing cabinet but she is rough inside.

You can sand if not too bad. You can use a primer and tan wood tone paint if worse. Finally as a last resort, replace bottom with fiberboard from HD.

12603_IMG_6178 (resized).jpg12603_IMG_6178 (resized).jpgIMG_0600 (resized).jpgIMG_0600 (resized).jpgIMG_2835 (resized).jpgIMG_2835 (resized).jpgIMG_2841 (resized).jpgIMG_2841 (resized).jpgIMG_2862 (resized).jpgIMG_2862 (resized).jpgIMG_6551 (resized).jpgIMG_6551 (resized).jpgab1 (resized).jpgab1 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-swap-is-it-easy-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.