6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Vet-N-Vet
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Williams-Sorcerer-1.jpg
    storeSORC.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_3235.JPG
    SIgood.jpg
    Bally Mata Hari 1.jpg
    PFcabres7.jpg
    PFcabres5.jpg
    PFcabres3.jpg
    PFcabres2.jpg
    PFcabres1.jpg
    copied112011 283.jpg
    562551_10201019973238356_1808964880_n.jpg
    20121104_190229.jpg
    formaldehyde-emissions.pdf (PDF preview)
    5003_5058.pdf (PDF preview)

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I am getting ready to buy cabinet stencils and there are 2 or 3 places selling them. Can anyone share experiences? Thanks

1 year later
    #2 4 years ago

There are a lot of stencils available on the web but some of the artwork on them in not very clean and some colors do not have traps and bleeds like the factory stencils did. This can become a pain in the ass to go back in with a brush and manually touch up everything. My stencils are NEW to the market and are the BEST artwork available. Go see my new site for all the info.

http://pinballpimpstencils.com

#3 4 years ago

I was wondering why a year old one post thread was bumped.
    Site looks great. Your stencils sound top notch. Why no Flash Gordon stencil. Any chance of one being available in the immediate future?

#4 4 years ago

I have had about 3 other people ask about Flash Gordon stencils as well. It's NEXT on my list, just trying to find a nice cabinet locally that I can SCAN to get really nice artwork from. They will be available hopefully in a few months.

I also have SORCERER, FIREPOWER & MATA HARI coming soon too!

#5 4 years ago

Are you in any way affiliated with Twisted Pins of Boise?

I was under the impression that they were PPS' supplier of stencils, among some other things.

#6 4 years ago

NO... I design my own artwork and am no way affiliated with Twisted Pins. I have been a graphic/vector designer for over 30 years as a career and was never satisfied with quality of the other stencil art that was available. I started getting people to beg me to sell my stencils so I finally got approval from PPS and have bought the holographic decals which are included with each set. I cut my own stencils on a hi-end Roland plotter, using my own artwork designed over the last 10 years. All stencils are cut ON DEMAND with Fresh Material and sent out within 2-3 days. I do all the work myself. I also us a registration system so your art lines up correctly the first time, dead on, just like it was designed on the computer. Once you use a set of my stencils, you will totally understand. Chris Hutchins is using a set of my EBD on his next restoration. I'm sure it will look Fabulous and looking forward to seeing it!

#7 4 years ago

Well, I'll be needing a Fathom set soon and I'm going to give you a shot. I've ordered from Twisted Pins in the past and have been very disappointed... I think registration marks are critical. I had a set of KISS stencils from Twisted pin that were a real pain to align... that coupled with the art was incorrect and when I tried to contact them so that they could correct it for future stencils, I got no reply.

#8 4 years ago

Im in for a Flash Gordon stencil when your done! I like the sound of "made to order." My last set was definately pretty old and was a PITA.

#9 4 years ago

yeah... I have cut 3 sets of Fathom already. That seems to be a HOT one and I know other Fathom stencils out there have plenty of problems.

If you haven't seen my site yet, below link is where I explain WHY my stencils are Premium. I also show LARGE, detailed images of each of my stencils so you CAN see the detail. That's what really makes the visible difference when the machine is painted!

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=21

#10 4 years ago

Pimp, I have some additional scans of that era if you are in need of trade bait, off the top of my head:

Silverball Mania
    Xenon
    Vector
    Supersonic (Bally)
    Time Warp
    Space Shuttle (lg backbox)
    Comet
    F-14
    Pokerino
    Fireball Classic

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

I know other Fathom stencils out there have plenty of problems.

Plenty of other stencils, not just Fathom, are super crappy.

It's almost like they were done from photos rather than scans.

#12 4 years ago

I think most of them were done from photos and were run thru an auto trace program and then CUT. There is NO precision or detail when done this way. It's just detail guess work. I have often heard that other stencils are cut wrong and even in the wrong order... ie. stencils being cut for Black paint when the cabinet is actually black with red artwork! Trust me, I have heard and seen it all over the past 10 years! This is why I clean up all my own artwork. It shows in the final product! I don't spend 100+ hours on a $5000 restore to end up with shitty, crappy art!

I figured my artwork wasn't doing any good sitting in folders on my hard drive, that's why I made them available for sale. These old machines need to be restored properly, or at least in my eyes, otherwise it's just looks amateur!

#13 4 years ago

I'm also working on getting approval to sell Gottlieb stencils as well. Talking now so hopefully they will be up on my site as well. Here are some of the machines I already have stencils for:

1974 Big Indian / Big Brave
    1975 Abra Ca Dabra
    1975 El Dorado
    1976 Royal Flush / Card Whiz
    1976 Target Alpha
    1976 Spirit of 76 / Pioneer
    1976 Surf Champ / Surfer

Mustang / Bronco coming real soon
    Fire Queen / Vulcan coming real soon
    Joker Poker coming real soon

#14 4 years ago

Good luck with the business, sounds like you're providing an excellent product. I was just going to let my Pinbot be the beater cabinet that it is, but now that I've seen your stencils I may rethink that. Can you view the instructions before buying? Just curious about how to plan on the process (and plan how to do it properly)

God, this has warped my mind. I got into all this thinking I just wanted to be able to play pinball. Now I keep finding new ways to catapult money at my games...

#15 4 years ago

Those results photos do look great. Any thoughts of doing Paragon or Future Spa?

#16 4 years ago

Looking forward to the Mata Hari stencils! Do you have any plans in the future for doing cabinet decals? Would love to restore my fireball classic and my spy hunter as both have the typical cabinet fade…

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from andrew13:

Do you have any plans in the future for doing cabinet decals? Would love to restore my Fireball Classic

Although the original Bally cab had that terrible paper decal, I'd rather stencil paint for durability.

In fact (flame suit on), I usually just replace those particleboard Fireball Classic cabs with real plywood cabs.

No sense in spending all that time dicking with heavy, crumbling particleboard, when I can get a brand new plywood cab for $200. No crappy T-molding either, lol.

#18 4 years ago

As for Paragon stencils, I have had a few requests for this machine but the Detailed artwork is so crazy and would take so much time to clean up, cut and peel, I would have to charge $300 for a set to make it worth my while!. The same goes for Space invaders. I scanned a beautiful looking HUO machine, but to re-create the art as mentioned above would be a ton of work.

The only way I might take on this project is to have 10 or so guys to commit to them before I start the project.

#19 4 years ago

Space Invaders - Done correctly. Not one set of space invaders stencils I have ever seen has been correctly - based on the original....

#20 4 years ago

I have heard the SI sets that are out there have some of the art cut wrong.

This is how the Factory cabinet was:
    The Bottom Cabinet base color is GRAY with Black & Red stencil art
    The HEAD is Black base color with Gray and Red stencil art

Don't forget the Silver spatter!

#21 4 years ago

Correct - and not one is done right. Both sets currently for sale have the bottom cabinet stencil starting with a black cab - which is incorrect. Additionally, they stencils are not cut properly as they were from the factory - meaning - on the factory job, the aliens in the fron of the cab (around the coin door) are created by spraying black aliens surroundings onto a red circle - if that makes sense. On all of the recreated ones - the alines are created by spraying red - over black.....Much harder to spray and cover.

#22 4 years ago

When are your mata hari stencils going to be ready?

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Although the original Bally cab had that terrible paper decal, I'd rather stencil paint for durability.
    In fact (flame suit on), I usually just replace those particleboard Fireball Classic cabs with real plywood cabs.
    No sense in spending all that time dicking with heavy, crumbling particleboard, when I can get a brand new plywood cab for $200. No crappy T-molding either, lol.

Didn’t even think of that! Thanks vd1900 I’m going to do exactly that. bye bye “T” molding and hello panted graphics!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

I'm also working on getting approval to sell Gottlieb stencils as well. Talking now so hopefully they will be up on my site as well. Here are some of the machines I already have stencils for:
    1974 Big Indian / Big Brave
    1975 Abra Ca Dabra
    1975 El Dorado
    1976 Royal Flush / Card Whiz
    1976 Target Alpha
    1976 Spirit of 76 / Pioneer
    1976 Surf Champ / Surfer
    Mustang / Bronco coming real soon
    Fire Queen / Vulcan coming real soon
    Joker Poker coming real soon

That's really good news-pls keep us posted on progress.
    Do you ship internationally eg Australia?

#25 4 years ago

I will ship internationally, just have to calculate shipping in a Priority Tube! It's different pricing to different countries but I believe it would cost around $50-$60 to send abroad.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

do not have traps and bleeds like the factory stencils did

What do you mean "traps" and "bleeds"?

#27 4 years ago

"traps" and "bleeds" are when one color goes underneath the other and not just butt up against one another. This way you DO NOT get all those little fingernails of base color showing thru.

#28 4 years ago

It's probably not practical but it would be cool if someone produced laser-cut thin metal stencils so you could paint your cabinet like they did back in the day.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

There are a lot of stencils available on the web but some of the artwork on them in not very clean and some colors do not have traps and bleeds like the factory stencils did. This can become a pain in the ass to go back in with a brush and manually touch up everything. My stencils are NEW to the market and are the BEST artwork available. Go see my new site for all the info.
    http://pinballpimpstencils.com

Are you going to make a Whirlwind stencil?

#30 4 years ago

NO... Whirlwind was screen printed. No way to hold all the detail in a stencil. It would have to be a decal

#31 4 years ago

I am looking forward to getting my Sorcerer stencils!

#32 4 years ago

Would your stencils be reusable? I know that Pinball Pal sold stencils that could be reused 2-3 times but as you probably know that business has closed. I did 4 Playboy cabinets with one set of his stencils. I have 3 Eight Ball cabinets to restore so instead of buying 3 sets I just made my own, turned out great but took 10+ hours. Thanks

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This caught my interest. How accurate are the new cabinets (structurally) to the ones you are replacing? Any issues with fitting parts on them or are they pretty much spot on?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

This caught my interest. How accurate are the new cabinets (structurally) to the ones you are replacing? Any issues with fitting parts on them or are they pretty much spot on?

They are run on a CNC mill, so they are accurate to about .1 mm.

The panels are plywood with a preprimed MDO overlay on the faces. This means that the panels are ready for paint. No sanding, priming or filling is necessary. This saves many hours over regular plywood.

The plywood is much lighter and stronger than the particle board on the original cab, and of course does not crumble when you bump a corner.

5003_5058.pdf

#35 4 years ago

Did they stop using formaldehyde in MDO panels? It's been phased out of most sheet materials by now, but I remember being astonished that it was still in that stuff. (Last I worked with it was a good 5 years ago)

#36 4 years ago

There is a low level of formaldehyde supposedly "naturally occurring" in MDO.

The panels are exempt from California law because the level is so low....but there is still some in there.

formaldehyde-emissions.pdf
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

when I can get a brand new plywood cab for $200

Is this DIY or is there someone making these for the general pinball public?

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Is this DIY or is there someone making these for the general pinball public?

A local cabinet shop that I service their machines sells them for $200 flatpacked (unassembled).

They looked into selling them online, but they decided that it was too much trouble.

Xtreme Pinball is what you guys probably want for online :

http://www.xtremepinball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=191

#39 4 years ago

Yeah I looked at them before, but wasn't clear on if you can specify what standard size cabinet you want. For example, System 9's have diff cabs then System 11's, etc etc. Can I order a new cab for Space Shuttle and have the narrow head, and then order a High Speed with the bigger head?

#40 4 years ago

It's CNC.

You give whatever changes you need and it gets quickly redrawn and cut.

Once someone gives them a Sys11 cab dimension, they can cut 1000s more with no additional effort. The next time someone wants a Sys11, they already have it on file.

Same with Bally, Classic Stern, Gottliebs.....chances are they have all the major cabs already drawn.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We stenciled a solid wood Bally cabinet and moved a Fireball Classic into it. It came out beautiful! That particle board is terrible! The picture below does no justice for how nice the final product ended up after touch up and clear coating.

BTW, I have some of Jeff's Pinball Pimp stencils and they are definitely top quality. He really does a great job of getting the art perfect, the stencils are all marked with printed stickers to show the location, color and order of use, and he included really nice instructions. To say they are better than the old Classic Arcades stencils in an understatement. Not to mention that Jeff has great customer service via email.
    Edit: the goofball in the picture is not me.

20121104_190229.jpg

#43 4 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys. Once you use one of my cabinets stencils I know you will not be disappointed. They are cut on a painters mask used in the automotive industry. Mine are only a one time use a stencils but the results are fabulous. The reusable ones are way too damn hard to get lined up on the cabinet.

#44 4 years ago

Does anyone offer replacement back panels only for early 80s Bally cabinets that had the chipboard back? These are often swollen or have large chunks out of them at the bottom.

#45 4 years ago

They look great. Can you make the instructions available here or on your website so we can see what all is involved before diving in head first? I used the stencils on a Bally Playboy from another vendor a year or so ago and had a horrible time with the paint bleeding under the mask and with lining up the artwork because of the large sheets of flimsy material and because the different levels simply were not registering with each other. I ended up having to fudge it. Can you post pictures of what your mask material looks like? Does it use low tack adhesive?
    Thanks

#46 4 years ago

Yes I will be posting instructions on my site soon. The material is Oracal white painters mask vinyl and yes it is Low tack so it doesn't peel up any previous paint. It has transfer tape on the top of all the stencils so you are able to line it up and stick it on the cabinet with precision the first time. They really are pretty easy to use.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

We stenciled a solid wood Bally cabinet and moved a Fireball Classic into it. It came out beautiful! That particle board is terrible! The picture below does no justice for how nice the final product ended up after touch up and clear coating.
    BTW, I have some of Jeff's Pinball Pimp stencils and they are definitely top quality. He really does a great job of getting the art perfect, the stencils are all marked with printed stickers to show the location, color and order of use, and he included really nice instructions. To say they are better than the old Classic Arcades stencils in an understatement. Not to mention that Jeff has great customer service via email.

20121104_190229.jpg 323 KB

For a picture that doesn't do any justice, that still looks pretty damn good!

1 week later
    #48 4 years ago

I'll never understand how you get licensed to reproduce artwork that's altered from the original.

#49 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend the best place to get a stencil set for Flash Gordon. Unfortunately I cannot wait for Pinballpimp's set to be released as it will be a father/son project next month. Id like to get a set that hasn't been sitting on a shelf for years like the last set I got for my Firepower...what a PITA!

#50 4 years ago

Did a Flash Gordon about a year ago. I cut my own but don't sell.

562551_10201019973238356_1808964880_n.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 25.50
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 45.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 139.00
    $ 999.00
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    $ 289.00
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside