(Topic ID: 112655)

Cabinet Stencil Makers, please learn what Bleed is!!

By kbliznick

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Halfway through a cabinet restoration, using the current most prolific manufacturer of stencils and again it's the same old shit.

In order to line up the second color correctly over the first there needs to be some overlap anywhere those 2 colors meet, otherwise any slight mis-registration will allow the base color to be seen through the gap in those 2 colors. On some kits this might be acceptable to have no bleed if the two colors rarely interact with each other as some small amount of trimming to get it perfect is OK. But on the Bally Mystic I am currently doing there is so much interaction between the two colors that I might as well be cutting a new set fresh by hand than to use the stencils provided.

So if you make stencils please carefully look at the pattern, then provide at least 1/8" overlap where the colors meet (put the overlap on the bottom color, but then I guess it should be called underlap).

A lot of the time the stencils for the bottom color are the exact shape as what's seen when the image is done, but it's usually not needed. A blob of color will make the stencils easier to weed and alignment so much nicer when putting on the second color. CPR used to have a nice tutorial on how to do color separations on their website but I can't find the link anymore.

A perfect example of this is on the side of the playboy cabinet by the spring on the shooter rod
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1823&picno=54727&zoom=1

Most stencils sets have the first purple layer arch around the shapes of the springs. This is not necessary. Simply run the purple in a straight line to make the shape of the plunger. The second color black can then be put directly over the top of the purple and there is no risk of the arches not lining up.

#2 9 years ago

Yep, most of the stencil makers are just slapping them together in illustrator and cutting them. Not really thinking about things like this. That is why I am making my own.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

slapping them together in illustrator

With some horrible autotrace that they don't even bother to clean up to boot.

#4 9 years ago

Pinpimp

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

With some horrible autotrace that they don't even bother to clean up to boot.

What is sad is that some of the "officially licensed" repro stuff from a few manufacturers isn't any better. I have pretty much resorted to redrawing most of the things I need and either making them myself or getting it printed myself.

#6 9 years ago

You need to deal with a professional.

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/

#7 9 years ago

Yep, agree... the pinball pimp!

#8 9 years ago

Pinball Pimp does it right, he pays attention to the details, no crappy autotrace. I haven't used his stencils, but seeing the work he does I'd order through him first if possible for sure.

#9 9 years ago

Exactly , Last kit I used was for High Speed and all I kept thinking was that there was no way in hell the person that created these stencils has ever stenciled a cabinet .

#10 9 years ago

Im looking to re-stencil my Flash Gordon in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy stencils? I re-stenciled a Firepower last year and the stencils were horrible, spent more time cutting and re fitting than actually laying paint.

I know pinballpimp has FG in his que but I dont have the time to wait as it will be a project with my father when he visits, sort of becoming a yearly tradition!

#11 9 years ago

Depends on what type of resto you plan on doing. Do you want to remain true to the original artwork as it came from the factory?

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from paintpins:

Depends on what type of resto you plan on doing. Do you want to remain true to the original artwork as it came from the factory?

Im not concerned about making it cq, but id like it to come out nicely.

#13 9 years ago

I don't know if he has stencils or not.. but HEP just made a new FG cabinet on his website..

#14 9 years ago

Bought some stencils from twisted pins for a Centaur resto. Terrible. Wrong size for uppers ( he did send new ones a week later), but damn, just made a tough job much harder. Would not buy from.
    Good luck.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Bought some stencils from twisted pins for a Centaur resto. Terrible. Wrong size for uppers ( he did send new ones a week later), but damn, just made a tough job much harder. Would not buy from.
    Good luck.

That's who I bought the HS coin door side from and they were total garbage. They were even marked wrong for the order they went on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-stencil-makers-please-learn-what-bleed-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.