5461D049-16CA-4605-B00B-7EA8CBD42B38 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C6179D55-469C-4A32-BB9D-37EA87DD5C79 (resized).jpeg
45E38627-6DC6-45C6-9259-CECA5A323335 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, I am applying new decals to my BSD but I noticed the seam on the front left edge of cabinet is splitting. Anything you guys can recommend I do about this? What comes to mind is using a Brad nailer and covering them up with wood filler or something.

Thanks in advance!

45E38627-6DC6-45C6-9259-CECA5A323335 (resized).jpeg45E38627-6DC6-45C6-9259-CECA5A323335 (resized).jpegC6179D55-469C-4A32-BB9D-37EA87DD5C79 (resized).jpegC6179D55-469C-4A32-BB9D-37EA87DD5C79 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

brad nail will not close the gap and hold no matter how many nails you shoot.

#3 4 years ago

Titebond wood glue and clamps.

#4 4 years ago

Which type of clamps? Man, How would I even clamp this thing?

#5 4 years ago

I'm with ForceFlow but I would also add some trim head screws and zipper it before installing the decals. Apply some wood glue on the screws before setting.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Which type of clamps? Man, How would I even clamp this thing?

Pipe clamps.

#7 4 years ago

Do you have the inside corner brackets?

#8 4 years ago

Do you think I could get away with just these and the glue?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GRK-8-x-1-1-4-in-Yellow-Polymer-Trim-Interior-Exterior-Wood-Screws-100-Count/50303205

In regards to glue, would construction adhesive suffice?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

Inside

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

I’m guessing I’ll want to take that triangle back block out first

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

I’m guessing I’ll want to take that triangle back block out first

I would. You want to clean up the joint, apply titebond 3 and clamp and screw. Afterwards reinstall the corner block.

#12 4 years ago

There is only one way to fix it.

None of your quick and dirty fixes will hold. Pinball machines are heavy and need heavy repairs

check all corners for looseness and address them.

Remove the wood block and make a new one. You can cut a corner off a 2x4 with a skill saw to make blocks.

Buy 4 3/4" pairs of pony clamps (harbor freight, 2 packs) (8 pieces) buy 3/4" black pipe cut at home depot, each piece threaded on one end.

2 pieces for the length, 2 pieces for the width. cut them 1' or more longer than the cabinet, both ways.

Spread out the corner, scrape out any loose wood fibers and flood it with titebond 3 glue. Use pony clamps and pipe as a spreader.

Reverse the pony clamps ends and clamp the corner.
While at home depot get 8 or 10 hardwood floor sample squares to use under the clamps to keep from denting the cabinet too much (they are free). I like the maple composite ones

You want 100% squeeze out of the glue all along the joint.

wipe off all the excess glue with a wet rag.

Put plastic or wax paper under the clamps to keep from gluing them on.

Get a ryobi brad nailer if you dont have one. get 2" and 1 1/2" brads also some 1" ones for other things.

Using 2" brads Nail the corner from front and side with 4 brads each side starting 1" from the top and 1 1/2" from the bottom.

Wait for it to dry. Glue in a new wood block with titebond 3, clamp it on or wedge pipe against it. Using 1 1/2" brads nail it 8 times.

Clamp a leg on the cabinet to use as a drill guide to make new holes for the leg bolts

sand out the cab, fill it and primer it.

Make sure there are no bumps, everything shows under the decals

Easy enough.

#13 4 years ago

Pinballinreno said it pretty well but should you need further info, vids guide to cab restoration might help

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

#14 4 years ago

I'd also upgrade to the "beefier" leg brackets:

https://www.pinballlife.com/desegastern-leg-bracket.html

#16 4 years ago

So Elmer’s and Scotch tape won’t cut it ay? Damn. I do feel that is a bit over excessive, but I also feel pins aren’t owned, just borrowed. ThereforeI make it a point to do quality work regardless of expense... well, within reason. I’ll update this post with my progress.

Thanks for all the info, as always

#17 4 years ago

I use the heavy duty wider ratchet strap around the whole cabinet to close the gap after filling with TitebondIII. Then install the new triangle wood also with TBIII and screws. Install the deluxe leg brackets. Let it dry. Remove strap. Done.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

So Elmer’s and Scotch tape won’t cut it ay? Damn. I do feel that is a bit over excessive, but I also feel pins aren’t owned, just borrowed. ThereforeI make it a point to do quality work regardless of expense... well, within reason. I’ll update this post with my progress.
Thanks for all the info, as always

Its really the only way.

#19 4 years ago

Well, it’s much better than it was. Would you recommend bondo to square it? Or should I just leave as is? It’s not that bad, but it’s no new cabinet either. Close enough for government work. Maybe square it with bondo?Close enough for government work. Maybe square it with bondo?

Luckily I had a spare bracket from pinball lifeLuckily I had a spare bracket from pinball life

On with the scraping... heat guns ftwOn with the scraping... heat guns ftw

#20 4 years ago

Bondo, half-time, glazing putty and primer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 5.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-seam-split?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.