(Topic ID: 242332)

Cabinet Restoration

By Murphdom

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-5701 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

I just picked up this machine. Can someone tell me why someone would go through the hassle of carefully scraping just the top coat of paint off and not just sand it to the wood? Am I missing something? The started to do the same on the rest of the machine as well. Second question is: What is the best course of action for refinishing a cabinet? What has everyone found to be the easiest way?

IMG-5701 (resized).JPGIMG-5701 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Sand to wood, Bondo, sand, rinse repeat, prime, sand, bondo some more, sand.. and finally paint etc.. Im not sure if there is a easy way.. unless you dont really care about the end result too much. But based on your profile, i suspect you already know this..

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

Sand to wood, Bondo, sand, rinse repeat, prime, sand, bondo some more, sand.. and finally paint etc.. Im not sure if there is a easy way.. unless you dont really care about the end result too much. But based on your profile, i suspect you already know this..

I plan on taking my time with it so it’s nice but I was hoping for a miracle

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

What is the best course of action for refinishing a cabinet? What has everyone found to be the easiest way?

This:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

#5 4 years ago

Vids Cabinet Restoration Guide. Read it; all of it; three times! Great material.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.