(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xeneize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 8 years ago

Vid:

I just laid down my third coat of base color after starting with an oil based primer. Now ready to clear before applying any stencils/2nd color.

Sadly, I have ONE spot where too much paint accumulated on the side and thus created a "run". Is it possible to just sand the run down using 320/400 grit and then apply the clear? Would you lightly sand the entire cabinet before clearing?

Thanks!

Xeneize

#61 8 years ago

Vid:

Valid point about the paint run needing more time to cure - it's been two weeks, and it still feels "soft". I will give it at least another couple of weeks before sanding.

What grain of sandpaper do you recommend for giving the clear enough tooth to hold? I don't want to go overly aggressive. I am also assuming that we want to stick with the block at this stage and stay away from a powered sander. Correct?

Thanks (as always) for the direction!

Xeneize

1 year later
    #322 6 years ago

vid1900 I recently used 2PAC for the first time and figured it was safer to start on cabinets than on playfields. I used the fastest PPG hardener available and the cabinet was on a rotisserie. My experience was as follows:

The sides (which were sprayed flat/horizontally) felt buttery smooth, but there was certainly some orange peel to address. The front of the main cab and sides of the back box (which were shot vertically) had several runs where I laid the 2PAC down too thick. (I chalk this up to being too slow as I was making my passes with the gun).

I sanded out my runs with wet 800 grit. I then cleaned up my slurry with Naptha and followed with a tack rag. As slurry had hit the sides of the cabinet, I also wiped them with Naptha to remove it. I then proceeded to reshoot (the now runless) front cab and back box side panels. Took them inside once dry and they then felt smooth to the touch and the clear had buried the stencils. However...

The cab side panels no longer felt glassy smooth. They felt more like 1000-1500 grit sandpaper. I swear that before I reshot the panels with runs in them that the cab sides were totally smooth/slick.

So, I haul everything back to the booth and respray the cab sides (horizontally again). As a matter of process, all four sides were wiped with Naptha to remove slurry/debris after wet sanding with 800 grit. Now, the sides feel smooth, but the front feels gritty - maddening because it felt fine before I shot clear on the sides again.

Will you please help me understand this phenomenon? Is wiping down with Naptha doing something to make the surface feel rough to the touch? Do I need to simply cut and polish with compounds, then wax?

It's bizarre because the stencils are completely buried in the clear, but the surface of the front panel, is now no longer slick to the touch.

As always, thanks for sharing both your humor and expertise!

#325 6 years ago

BJM-Maxx I was afraid that this might be the answer...

If this is indeed the case is there a way to smooth/level without shooting another layer of clear on the "rough" sides?

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I would normally wet sand and polish to avoid repainting. You can wet sand with 800 or 1000.

BJM-Maxx OK, that's a relief to hear - set up and cleaning up when 2PAC is involved is tedious. So, assuming I wet sand with 1000, do you have a recommendation for what I should use to polish. I do own an orbital buffer. Thanks!

1 week later
    #356 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's probably just overspray.
    Or it could be dieback where the clear shrinks a few days after spraying.
    Either way, block-sand it flat, and then polish to the amount of sheen you desire.

Just for the sake of sharing my resolution...it was indeed overspray.

I took a medium grit compound and followed up with a low grit compound on an orbital buffer. Then followed with a polish, and finally wax. Sadly, I saw very little improvement.

Decided to try something else as I really did not want to have to pull the clear out again and shoot some more. Purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDF9EFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

After about ten minutes of elbow grease I saw a significant improvement. After 15 minutes (we're just talking the front panel, here) the difference between the sides (slick) and the front (where I suffered from overspray) was hardly detectable.

I highly recommend trying the clay solution in cases like this. It's cheap, easy, non toxic, and best of all effective!

1 month later
    #394 6 years ago

vid1900 Is there a secret to spraying a "perfect" coat of PPG 2PAC?

Every time I do a cabinet, I end up with a few runs on a panel or two which result in more sanding and reclearing. It's time consuming and expensive.

I feel like it is incredibly hard to get a smooth surface and find the balance between not enough coverage and ending up with runs. Putting the cabinet on a rotisserie helps... as the sides are flat, although one can still have issues with the front of the cab (particularly if the rotisserie leg blocks art that goes all around the coin door) and the sides of the back box.

I have plenty of lighting, but with eye protection and the mist from spraying it can be hard to really gauge with your eyes the "thickness" of your coat while you work.

Any insight or tips you can share are appreciated!

Yours truly,

"Enemy or Orange Peel and Hater of Runs".

#402 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

Has anyone here built a rotisserie for cabinets?

Yes, I built mine based on Budwin 's modifications - works beautifully!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xeneize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=xeneize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.