Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 954 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 623 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg
    20230815_171154 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tflick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#411 6 years ago

I'm at the "tail end" of my 1978 Playboy cabinet restore. It's my first pin and read many threads before starting. Reading these posts has been so helpful. I picked up the Playboy locally in August for what I thought was a pretty fair price considering the condition it was in. IMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPG IMG_0304 (resized).JPGIMG_0304 (resized).JPGSaved the bottom but had to build a new backbox. I was lucky enough to find a stencil kit as I found out they are hard to come by due to licensing issues. I'm attaching a few before and after photos. I got the new legs and side rails in the other day and couldn't wait to see how it looked! I used most of Vid's recommendations on primer, base coat and rattle cans for the colors. It's not perfect I think I could do better with some experience but happy with the results so far.

I have a few questions on clear coating the cabinet. I'm not really set up for the automotive clear and have been reading about the 2k products. Wanted to ask opinions on the 2k products and sheen. Being my first pin, the cabinet has some minor spots I missed so I'm thinking a satin finish to help hide some stuff I missed during sanding. I don't think a high gloss would be wise in this case but looking for advice?

Second, should I use a high grit wet sand before applying the clear? I've read it can knock down the edges from the stencil and give the paint some tooth but don't want to goof up the stencil job or paint. Any advice or should I just do it and trust the process? Any harm in not wet sanding and just shooting the clear?

Here is a photo of the almost finished cabinet. I'm moving it between the garage and the house slowing easing my wife into the idea we're gunna have a pin inside soon!IMG_2384 (resized).JPGIMG_2384 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tflick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=tflick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.