(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stretch7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 8 years ago

Just curious if anyone has tried or used kilz as their white base coat. I will be putting a clear coat over anyways so not worried about the sheen of it.

#81 8 years ago

Yes it is a primer/sealer but it is a smooth solid primer and I'm doing a few cabinets but 2 of them are white bases so just curious if anyone has just left the white kilz or bin product as base then applied the stencilled colours on top with a clear coat.
    I know the sheen of those products are to be desired but figure I'm going to put a clear on anyways so sheen should come out uniform when done.
    I might just try it out but curious if anyone has before I do.

#84 8 years ago

I'm hoping to start primer this week so will keep you posted on the primerimage.jpegimage.jpeg

2 years later
    #397 6 years ago

Has anyone here built a rotisserie for cabinets?....would love to see some ideas for this as it seems like a great way to lay/paint stencils and clear.

#401 6 years ago

Awesome thanks for sharing ... I was trying to visualize how the connections were but I would like seeing the backside as well

2 years later
    #644 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBillinFL:

I'm curious as to what others are doing with the metal backbox doors on old EM machines

If metal ok then you can repaint or fill and repaint if your ok doing that, if metal is bad then sandblast and powder coat.
    You could make one out of wood and repaint or just buy a new one and leave "ohh naturel"
    Personally for me i do the powdercoat option.

5 months later
    #730 2 years ago

Does anyone here have any pictures/video of the cabinet making shops from 60's-90's. I would like to see what tooling they used back then as well as the painting/stencil/decal application.

3 months later
    #764 2 years ago

I would just give it a light sand and repaint with new colour. Just stick to same brand of paint to be safe.

#775 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Can I remove this staining through sanding

Ya she’s pretty dirty not sure if that would come out looking nice. I would prime with a stain blocker like kilz first.
    Other option replace the bottom if you like the natural colour.

1 week later
    #796 2 years ago

Yes the ridges/planking will still come through. If you don't want that look then you will have to skim coat everything with bondo.
    Keep in mind if that wood/planking is loose then you risk it coming back up and may have to take a different approach

1 year later
    #900 1 year ago

Depends how bad the areas are.I have had a few stencils pull up paint on me as well. If it's a few small areas, you can look at sanding the edges of paint and maybe some glaze fill if needed then mask and touch up, but if you have a bunch of areas then might be best to restart like you said, sand, re prime, re base and start fresh. Basically, you will have to choose your battle.
    Timing is a tricky thing of when to apply and pull off and depends on the paints your using.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stretch7.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=stretch7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.