(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#819 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

Not sure why fiberglass has to be used?
    buy a cheap black can of spray. very lightly spray dust the area that you want to work. let if dry for a few mins. then use a sanding block and sand it. All the paint will we remove from the high spot first so now you know your high spot. any painting that still there, is your low spots which bondo can taken care of. repeat this a few times until you get a nice level surface

I think it has to do with how warped a cabinet is. Some are mild enough to just get by with primer and paint. Others need more extreme measures where the fiberglass resin and Bondo come in.

1 year later
    #926 1 year ago

Could use some suggestions on repairing the lower lip of the head for a Mr and Mrs Pacman pinball machine. The wood is missing. Probably a long shot to find someone parting out a water logged machine with trash cabinet that I could salvage this piece off of. If I'm not mistaken it is probably the same as Centaur II, Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition, and Rapid Fire. It is a shame that this part is missing since the rest of the cabinet and game should clean up.

20230423_192822 (resized).jpg20230423_192822 (resized).jpg20230423_192834 (resized).jpg20230423_192834 (resized).jpg
    #928 12 months ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

That should be pretty easy to replace - just measure and cut to fit w/ a table saw. Glue and finishing nails to set it, sink the nails below the wood with setters and cover edge gaps with wood filler you can sand smooth like you would with door or floor trim. Wood filler/bondo for any gaps. Honestly, it's easier to replace a big piece like that than to make solid corners imo. Least the corners are still there!

I hope so! Have a friend stopping by this evening that does a lot of wood work and has most of the tools needed. After this I just need to get a set of legs, new drop targets, and a ring kit. Tracked down the rest of the parts I needed and looking forward to getting this to run and play again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.