(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron911.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#234 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Is there anything I can do about the bottom edge of this cabinet that doesn't involve replacing a major section? It needs a whole new cabinet, but that's not something I will be able to do soon.

You can splice a replacement in (at least 6" wide for stability), but for the work involved I would just replace the whole back panel. And you can replace the bottom as well while you have one side removed.

1 year later
    #505 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

5. Glue up
    Here is the big moment.
    Once you apply the glue, the clock starts ticking.
    Don't look at your phone, don't let your boyfriend talk to you, keep your head on straight.
    You already did your dry run, so you KNOW the joint will clamp up squarely and you know how many clamps you will need.
    Use an Acid Brush, to apply glue to 100% of the joint on both sides.
    [quoted image]
    Apply more glue than necessary, it's cheap, and any extra will simply squeeze out and get wiped away.
    Make sure your clamping leaves room to wipe the extra glue away.
    Use a damp (not wet) cloth to wipe away the extra.
    How do you know if you used enough glue?
    You are looking for a 100% Squeezeout once clamping pressure is applied:
    [quoted image]
    Even on the inside, we want a 100% Squeeze out, the sign of a quality glue joint:
    [quoted image]
    Wipe up any excess and check for squareness one last time before you let the joint sit overnight.
    6. Once the joint is dry the next day, put the leg back on the game.
    If you installed a new Gusset, drill it out with an 3/8" drill bit, using the outside cab holes as your guide.

Just an FYI from one of the pics in this post. You should always clamp using a block.

The block does two things:

1. Protects work piece from indentations from the clamp face. You don't have to over-tighten to get indentations. Softer woods and plywoods often are not hard enough to accept suitable clamping pressure.
    2. Distributes the clamping pressure more uniformly over a larger area. In this case, I would have a simple 2x4 cut to the length of the cab joint and apply multiple clamps.

One of the most common errors, if not the most common error, in woodworking is not appropriately applying clamps. Hint: there is no such thing as too many clamps.

6 months later
    #548 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I bet it would crack. That fibreglass is tough but brittle, man, that doesn't make sense, but it does. hmmm.

Nice corner mof, i'm going to fire up a cab refurb soon and plan on fibreglass corner repairs again on my WW

Pre-drill and you should be fine. If you tighten enough to crack cured fiberglass resin backed by wood, then you are likely overtightening the screw/bolt.

11 months later
    #590 4 years ago

If I am looking for a high sheen, I've found that corn cob after walnut does make a difference. The issue is that it isn't uniform. On some parts, its pretty noticeable and on others barely so.

So, to TheLaw's point, I have found that the most time-effective route is tumble in walnut media (make sure to change media when it starts to get dark) and then hand polish with Mother's Chrome polish for those parts that I might want that extra sheen.

If you REALLY wanna go nuts, wheel stainless and you can get a finish that is equivalent to chrome. You have to be extremely careful with pressure not to bend or blue the part, but the results are spectacular.

#594 4 years ago

Zinc plating will usually be removed from walnut media. Corn cob, not as much. A buffing wheel will strip it right off.

I've never had the need to spray these parts in my home environment, as moisture is simply not an issue. However, if I had games in a garage, I would spray them. It's probably good practice just to spray them anyway.

6 months later
    #642 3 years ago

Yep, with that level of repair Bondo is a mistake. For the void, find out how deep it is and use a paint stick, dowel, etc. to fill that void about 1/4" below what would be flush. Then fill repair with short strand fiberglass filler.

CHECK THAT CAB CAREFULLY FOR OTHER WOOD ROT OR DAMAGE. Normally if a section of ply that large is missing, it is indicative of other damage. Absolutely make sure you catch everything. If plywood is missing more than one ply, I typically cut out and fit in a new piece, as plywood really loses strength if more than one ply is missing.

1 year later
    #859 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Use a good wood glue (like Titebond) and clamp. Make sure you get enough glue in there to fully coat the wood surfaces. Use a wide clamp so it doesnt indent the wood or snap the lip off. If you don't have a wide-face clamp, put a scrap piece of 1-by between the cabinet and the clamp. As you tighten, wipe off the glue that squeezes out with a damp paper towel until its fully tight. You might want to take that one leg off to make sure you get the whole seam.
    If need long clamps, Bessey pipe clamps are good and cheap. You can never have enough clamps!

Yep, that is how you repair. If you want full details:

When putting in glue, over fill and use a cheap small paint brush (they are called chip brushes and use the 1" size, if you can find it) to push paint into the crack.

Wipe the surface of all excess glue with a warm, damp towel. Put a piece of wax paper between the cabinet and clamping block to prevent any squeeze out from gluing the clamping block to the cabinet.

Cut a wood block that is at least 2" larger than the repair area. You will be clamping on the block, not directly on the cab. The block prevents indenting the wood cab with the clamp and it also distributes the clamping pressure uniformly for a solid repair. I suggest simply using a 2x4 cut to size.

Use a pipe clamp. Preferably two for better clamping pressure distribution (you don't have to tighten 2 clamps as much as one to get the same pressure overall). Use a block on both sides of the clamp. NEVER clamp directly on to the work piece (cabinet) or you can damage it.

Make sure to wipe off any squeeze out when clamps are fully tightened. Last wipe should be with a totally clean, wet shop towel to remove any glue haze that will show up when drying.

If any excess glue is missed, use a sharp razor blade to trim. Make sure to let glue fully set.

#861 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Thank you both so far. You’ve saved me a lot of learning by trial and error. With a pipe clamp, or clamps, will it run the length of the cabinet, so one clamp will be on the back of the machine and the other on the front? I am picturing it that way.

Correct. You will orient the pipe clamps to apply pressure to the front and back of the cabinet. A perfectly flat surface it essential for clamping, so if the leg or door frame is in the way, remove it.

EDIT: Looking at your pic, definitely remove the leg as the crack looks to have moved into that area. You want to have pressure past just the damage you see, hence my comment earlier that the clamping block should be at least a couple of inches longer than the visible crack.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron911.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=robotron911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.