(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpimp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#786 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Aside from doing pf touchups I think the cab repaint is the hardest part of a pin restore. My best advice is to stay clear from lacquer paints. Jeff from pinball pimp told be to stay away from Krylon when using his stencils. I'm not sure why.
    My issue w Rustoleum is that I get uneven coverage because of the narrow spraying tips. Even though Rustoleum says it's for wood, I see that it covers much nicer when spraying metal as opposed to wood. The base primer is also important. Using a primer plus sealer will yield the best result, especially when laying dark colors. Another good thing to do is practice on some scrap plywood. Sanded birch would be the best.

I don't remember saying stay away from Krylon. It works fine, you just need to peel as soon as you are done spraying because the paint tends to dry quicker and you don't want the paint drying along the edge of the stencil or it can tear. Same with the Rusto 2X. The original white can Rusto stays tacky longer and gives you a superior peel because it's more of an oil-based enamel over the Krylon and 2X. DO NOT USE LACQUER based paints as it can seep into the stencil and turn it soft and gummy.

4 months later
    #846 2 years ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Found some of those rattle cans an hour away, how many do you need per layer of the base color coat?
    I have absolutely no idea.
    4 for outside, 2 for head and 2 for the top half of the inside maybe after 2 layers of kilz?

When I paint my cabs and use spray, I usually use the amount of cans below to finish a game. I use a little more than most since I paint the INSIDE of my cabs as well

BASE = 14-16 cans
    PRIMER = 14-16 cans
    STENCILS = 1-2 cans for each color

I only do 2-3 light whispy coats on stencils just enough to cover. You DO NOT want to go thick or full coat on stencils like you would a basecoat

Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballpimp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=pinballpimp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.