(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Semi gloss black is what was usually original.
    Spray is better than brush.

Hey Vid, is there any "affordable" DA sander you would recommend for cabinet sanding? What is the pro/con between and electric or an air sander?

#57 8 years ago

right, 21GAL was the biggest that I could get for my home garage... I was targeting 6CFM @ 40PSI and that one is rated at 5.8 (4.7@90PSI) so was hoping it would "just" be good enough for casual use.

looks like the HF sander works at 90PSI and the manual is asking for 4 CFM, so my compressor is nearly 20% above aka should work?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/sanders/6-in-dual-action-air-sander-68152-8054.html

Or maybe just play safe and go with an electric one like the DeWalt?

6 months later
    #101 7 years ago

that reminded me of some of Brian Kelly's picture
    76da0a94ac07c7aa3746df098cc502647035899d_(resized).jpg76da0a94ac07c7aa3746df098cc502647035899d_(resized).jpg

2 months later
    #172 7 years ago

crap? even screen printed repro like those:

ebay.com link: itm

2 years later
    #524 5 years ago

well slight separated corner... i'll to see what the inside looks like next *_*

20190110_082024 (resized).jpg20190110_082024 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #541 5 years ago

i think i have dealt with the separated corner and remaking a gusset however i have the back of the bottom panel deeping out. Looking at the back of the cabinet the whole lip and even cabinet bottom "flaked" off?

20190310_170342 (resized).jpg20190310_170342 (resized).jpg

reading your thread i saw the lip can be "Easily replaced by wooden "windown screen molding" from the home center ". Should I find the right size one at HD, then fix it on either side and what is left of the cabinet with nails before fixing the back of the cabinets? How best to attached the molding piece?

1 year later
    #595 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have been replacing the removed zinc coating with clearco 99% galvenizing spray to protect them.

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/pdf/other/np-silvercoat_spray.pdf

It keeps them from getting corroded again.

Welders use it to protect welds from rust/corrosion.

Would something like this wokr as well?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKKZD2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7ClHEb7QK346P

5 months later
    #628 3 years ago

I am restoring a solid state cabinet, and I want to get a nice smooth texture on my primer before putting the base paint and stencil.

using R-O flat gray primer spray paint, I wanted to sand between the primer coat but I am not sure how long i should wait before sanding and then putting the next coat? 220 or 320 grit for the sand paper?

#630 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I am not sure what R-O is but the product sheet should give dry times or instructions on the can.

320 grit would be the lowest I would go depending on what type base coat you are using. Rattle cans paint hides more (goes on thicker) than automotive base coats.

Base coats are made to be cleared over so you can sand the base coat as well before the clear is applied.

Rust Oleum flat gray primer spray can is what i use, the instruction actually do not provide any direction on drying time between coat for sanding so i was curious...?

I have no access to automotive clear coat so I was just thinking of doing gray primer with gray base color and stencil in black over. All with rattle cans.

7 months later
    #714 3 years ago

HEP mentioned it before, they put dome Vinyl down on the cab wood to avoid having to do any prime/paint prepping before decals. Most people usually sand them down, if you pull them off you are likely to take quite a bit of small pieces of wood with it, making a lot of filling repair to get it nice and smooth again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=hisokajp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.