(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#460 6 years ago

vid1900 - any suggestions on thinning the Kilz Oil primer for use in the HF HVLP gun?

I prime my cabinet with a roller+brush.. but just could not get it perfectly flat sanding (too many pits/pockets) without taking most of the primer out too. So I now I need to spray it, but Kilz's says not to thin it... yet it seems all the craftsman do... Any suggestions on ratios?

#462 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm about to prime a cabinet and don't have spray equipment or a good setup for spraying and was thinking about using a roller to prime before putting on decals. Based on what I've read here I was planning to use a foam roller, latex primer, and adding Floetrol (makes the paint slightly thinner and slower-drying, and supposedly helps with brush marks). Was this what you were doing as well?

I used foam roller and oil based kilz (no thinning). Oil as a base is always more forgiving in what you use on top vs latex.. and probably sands better too.

The finish was smooth to the touch, but not really and I was pushing for better. Example of the pitting that wouldn't sand out easily..

IMG_4248 (resized).JPGIMG_4248 (resized).JPG

#465 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thin it with Mineral Spirits.
    » YouTube video

yeah but starting with what kind of ratio? Can't see mixing, loading, unloading, mixing more load, unload, etc

Not sure what's the way to dial that in..

#466 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Those look like the type of imperfections I would normally fill with Bondo.

Thx Bryan. I did some of that the first time around.. but still had the large areas that were not flat, and wasn't going to fill the whole side again. Here is some before and after to compare..

Before...
    IMG_4258 (resized).JPGIMG_4258 (resized).JPG

After...
    IMG_4257 (resized).JPGIMG_4257 (resized).JPG

I was worried the before was 'too much' and would telegraph through the decals too much

The bondo filler work was rough sanded with 80 and then 180grit before I moved onto the primer. Whole cabinet was 180 sanded.

Trying to sand the primer.. I was using 320git.. but eventually moved down to 220grit for the final "I give up damnit!!" passes after not really getting past the 'before' photo above

#468 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Thanks. Is that pitting in the wood (and the primer failed to fill it)? Or a result of texture in the paint application thanks to the roller (so the pitting is actually in the primer layer, not down to the wood)?

SHOULD be in the paint.. but that's one of the benefits of primer, it really can expose what you may not see otherwise. It sanded flat without really getting into the wood, so it should all be in the primer. But it's also possible it was the bondo filler that didn't sand smooth and instead was 'tearing'. You can see more of it in the before/after I posted just above this.

6 months later
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from tsinger873:

Can someone please describe the process of stripping or sanding the cabinet? Can you begin with sandpaper or do you normally use a liquid paint stripper then move on to paper? Does all of the original paint have to be removed down to bare wood before you prime and paint it or just enough to get a smooth finish?

If the cabinet is just painted... not decals... save yourself the time and cleanup and just sand. If you use stripper... you’ll still be doing a sanding pass anyways. Use a heavy grit and just knock it out quick with an orbital sander. Normally you strip to wood if u are chasing the best finish. Less variables.

4 months later
    #539 5 years ago
    Quoted from Juicerc51:

No thats not it. It goes on the inside face of the side of the head. It was basically just a black vinyl sticker that was fairly thick. The picture shows where it was located.
    [quoted image]

Sounds like a non factory hack

2 months later
    #555 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I was watching a video about restoring a torch and the guys painted the cabinet with a brush, is that common? It seems like you could get away without all the masking but at least with my painting skills it would be difficult to get a smooth even cabinet.
    6 min in:

For touch ups its common... for wide areas it usually leaves an inferior look due to the brush marks. But people have done it for decades... but it's not a great look. Best way is mask and spray if it's anything but scratches, spots, etc.

1 year later
    #691 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Screened ink on wood? This cab has decals.

You have vinyl covered wood.. that they then screen printed onto. Not decals that are stuck on.

The vinyl can separate from the wood and you get what looks like decals bunching up, etc.

#696 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

I guess that explains the way they faded so bad? What do you mean by "decals bunching up"?

Pinching of the vinyl and the vinyl detaches from the substrate. Happens around the legs typically - just like modern decals.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I watched a youtube vid where a guy sanded the decal completely off a Scared Stiff with an orbital sander with an elaborate vacuum setup. Can I go that route or will need heat gun to remove?

Sanding or scraping.. pick your religion. I use a scraper and heat w/o much trouble at all. You will still have to sand though because of residual glue.

#700 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

My Spy decals were printed on Ore-Jet. These were done by the guy in the UK, unauthorized of course. I'm totally green when it comes to this. I have only done restenciling of so far. Can anyone tell me how this stuff is as far as adhesion goes? He only left about a 1/2 inch of play on the ends of the cab sides, 1/4 inch per side. I have to be a 100% spot on before I lay these down, I know that much.

Use rapid tac and do a wet install and don't worry about this perfect fitment. What you need to worry about is not stretching the material trying to reposition. But even if you do a dry install, you should be able to position the decal FIRST, secure it, then lift some of it back, remove the backing, install that section, and then remove your securing stuff and work the rest of decal on by working up from your initial spot. Lookup any vinyl install video where they talk about placing, then removing about 1/4 of the backing to start your initial placement. you then remove your securing points and work the rest of the way back.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Is there a sticky primer needed to make sure these stay put? I'm thinking of something used when hanging wall paper. Or is the clean wood sufficient? This cab has T molding on the front, should I fold the extra material over and cover with the T molding or cut it flush to the cab front? I don't want the edges of the decal showing any white. I'm not sure if this material is black all the way through or just printed black.

You can assume it's white - you can use a paint pen to cover white edges left from cutting. For decals the key is the surface free of defects.. because they will transmit right through the decal, especially if glossy. You should sand, prime, sand, paint for best base. Normally you would paint at least around the edges to avoid any edge issues.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.