(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider feveredpinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago

Vid,
    I have a United shuffle-targette machine I am going to repaint. I know it's not a pinball machine but I figure the steps would be about the same. I am planning on sanding to bare wood, fixing any imperfections in the wood, and priming with Kilz primer. I was planning on using latex for the main color coat and spray it using a harbor frieght HVLP gun. I know the paint will need thinned but what do you recommend for a thinner? Most I've read online so far say to use water. I worry that the additional water will cause issues with the wood. I did see one guy that used windshield washer fluid. Not sure on that one but seemed to work ok for him.

#45 8 years ago

Ok. So my plan of priming with Kilz original (oil based stuff) is a good one. That's good to know. I have some satin black latex paint (wasn't cheap) that I was planning on spraying on some scrap. Just to practice a bit before I spray the actual machine. Thanks.

5 months later
    #90 8 years ago

As an FYI to all who read this I asked Vid a question on how he flyspecks with an hvlp gun in his playfield restore thread. My main reason for asking is because I have a Bally Freedom cabinet that I want to repaint. It is white with red flyspecks under the art. Doing these flyspecks by hand is what's keeping me from repainting the cabinet. Let's hope he chimes in.

1 year later
    #374 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipWilson:

I picked up an old Gottlieb Domino that I wanted to use as a first try at cabinet restoration. I got my cabinet sanded and prepped OK. I planned on spraying some Kilz original with an HPVL sprayer. The gun has a 1.7mm needle and I have a 30 gal. compressor with decent flow. The last time I used a sprayer I had sprayed auto primer on a car about ten years ago and figured that heavy auto primer I used then would be comparable to the Kilz. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of a start because I couldn't get the Kilz to spray very well. It kind splattered and didn't come out very well. Paint thinner didn't help much. Any suggestions for thinning Kilz or changing my set up for spraying it. Are most people spraying or rolling this out. Fortunately, I just at the primer stage so mistakes can be sanded away!

I sprayed Kilz original through a Harbor freight purple hvlp gun. Just used whatever tip came with it (1.6 maybe) but had to thin the primer quite a bit. I used paint thinner and I think about 40 psi at the gun. It sprayed ok (no splatters or anything) but still didn't seem to flow all that great. Well compared to what I've seen in youtube videos. Nothing else to compare lol.

2 years later
    #605 4 years ago

radfordian3505 and marksf123. What paint did y'all use???

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider feveredpinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=feveredpinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.