(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#562 4 years ago

These guides are great and have provided so much great info, including this one. However, I struggled with finding a good finishing putty to cover pin holes and tiny scratches in primer/basecoat. I wanted something that could be easily and quickly applied, sanded and re-topped without issue... I have heard great things about a product called Evercoat Clear Sand, but I needed something I could purchase locally and quickly.

Well, I picked up a few tubes of 3M Bondo Glazing Spot Putty, and I am very impressed with the final results. I used a credit card to apply a feather coat on top of my kilz primer, let dry 45 minutes, and then sanded. It's nice that it's a 1 part system so no hardener/mixing required. It's extremely easy to sand, and I was able to apply a further topcoat immediately after the initial dry time. it easily filled pin holes and minor abrasions that I missed with wood filler applied prior to the base primer.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Bondo-Glazing-Spot-Putty/?N=5002385+3293241079+3294066550&rt=rud

#563 4 years ago

Forgot to mention that this putty is available at most auto parts stores, Walmart, etc... some carry it, also available same day pickup.

1 year later
    #725 2 years ago

Question... working on a GTB Fast Draw... one of the cabinet sides has a warp that has pulled away from the bottom supports about a half inch... any tips on reducing or reversing the warp? Was thinking a hot wet towel on the inside of the cab wall and pull in with a half dozen pipe clamps overnight or a few days? The warp runs about 2 feet and really shows at the bottom of cab, and less at the top.

Any problems with this idea, or other tips?

Thanks!

#727 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You'll probably need to bolt a 1/4" angle iron down the length

Vid, would you suggest bolting onto both the struts and side?

1 month later
    #741 2 years ago
    Quoted from rushfan:

Acetone all the way!

Just to be clear, it's a viable option but it's still a nasty process... especially when you're dealing with areas of the backbox that are thicker in paint and tougher to cover with the paper towels... I went through 3/4 of a gallon of acetone and an entire roll of PTs for a 4 player Gottlieb cabinet... not knocking the process because it is a huge time saver, but just be aware that it's an unpleaseant job that you should do an a well ventilated area with some decent chemical-resistant gloves at the bare minimum.

Bottom line is that this is a nice alternative but not for everyone.

2 months later
    #784 2 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

For anyone using the Rustoleum paints, you can use almost any of them for the base coats prior to stenciling. Just follow the label to the letter for wait times between coats or before moving on to stenciling. For stenciling, my experience has been that the more the paint brags about short dry time, the harder it is to use with a stencil. The paint pulls up stringy tendrils as the stencil comes up unless you spray and pull of the stencil immediately or wait much longer to pull the stencil. Both have their drawbacks. I prefer a longer setting paint, Rustoleum makes an oil based spray paint that smells like old-school paint from when I was a kid. Had much more luck with it.
    When I pull off a stencil I have Q-Tips and a small container of Naptha handy to touch any bad looking edges, you can rework the paint in real time this way. A raised edge from a stencil can be pushed back down, a stringy piece can be removed.

Agreed on Rustoleum paints... but I'd go for a few bucks more per can for the stencil paints, and move up to Molotow low pressure cans; you can spray 2 to 4 light coats to cover... 3 to 5 minutes between coats, and peel immediately after 5 minutes is up on the last coat... done 4 cabs with it and some very elaborate ones to boot. No pulls, great coverage, dries smooth and hard, never a pull-up... why use anything else? I buy mine from Bombing Science... a bit cheaper than Dick Blick or others.

11 months later
    #880 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

After doing more reading on the subject of refinishing wood that has lead paint, I decided that I'll go the route of stripping the cabinet. It appears to be a much safer method when lead is concerned. I think I'll use "lead out", which is a stripper specifically designed for lead paint. Then I'll use liquid sander deglosser. I'll then cover the cabinet with kilz adehesion primer and fill/sand imperfections as per previously noted. I think with this plan it will be safe for me to do in my garage as long as I lay down plastic and wear proper PPE and follow guideline for proper disposal of contaminated rags, ect. It may seem like overkill but lead poisoning is no joke and I have no desire to contaminate my house with lead and expose my children to it.

No way you can do this work outside? If there's a way to strip any cabinet that may have lead paint, I'd do anything possible to get it done outdoors.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=dono and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.