(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#509 5 years ago

Two questions:

How do you properly remove the metal security plate from a classic Bally?

How do you quickly remove the panel? (since there isn't a need for these in home use)

metal plate (resized).jpgmetal plate (resized).jpg

#511 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It depends on if you are going to reuse it.
    If you are just making a new ghetto plate (usually out of a door kicker plate), then just pry it up with a screwdriver, then pull the staples out with a pair of Vise-Grips
    If you need to reuse it, put a heavy scraper under the plate and slowly lift it up, puling staples as you go.

Thanks for the reply. I can get the nails out (with a little work). The problem is removing it from the machine. It doesn't want to flex/bend enough to pull it out, since its very rigid.

My fear is the only way to remove it would be to cut the trim pieces holding it in around that area. But these also hold the floor in the cabinet.

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A router with an edge guide can remove 1/8" of the plywood lip on one side. Easily replaced latter.
    Or just sandblast it in place and reprime and repaint

Thanks for confirming. I was hoping there was a super secret way of removing this. I'll have to weigh my options for doing this.

#516 5 years ago

I ended up taking a sharpened scraper, and could split a couple layers of the plywood off the cabinet. This allowed for the plate to be removed without bending it. I'll end up putting the trim piece back on with window screen molding, as Vid mentioned.

2 years later
    #798 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Fortunately, the planking is not loose save for two small pieces on the bottom edge that looks more like it came loose from banging into something sometime over the years.
    I hate working with bondo, but it has been affective for me in repairing cabinets in the past with far worse damage. Another pinsider recommended to me "Durham's Rock Hard" (amazon.com link ») which I'd never heard of before, but apparently this water based wood putty has been around for decades. Supposedly easier to work with vs bondo (too thin/watery? Add more powder. Too thick/pasty? Add more water). I'm going to practice with it on some scrap plywood ($2/can at my Home Depot) and if it seems good, I'll put a thin coat on the sides and the front of my Meteor cabinet.

I've used Durham's on some of my restores (including Flash Gordon & Quicksilver). It is much easier to work with than bondo. It takes a little practice to get the consistency correct for applying it. And the fact that it is waterbased always made me wonder. But the cabinets I used it on still looks good.

For something like your application, I suggest Dolphin putty. It's kind of like bondo, in that it's two component, but I've had much better luck with it. Also, Dolphin glaze is great for the next step. You may be able to skip the putty and just go to the glaze. Its more liquid-y, and spreads & sands easily. it works great for smoothing over smaller scratches.

#807 2 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Has anyone tried using a thin laminate to remove all grain from a project?

No, that would add thickness to the cab, that would have to be accounted for, similar to the radcal cut outs for side rails and coin doors—just not a good look.

If you want to do it right:
    Sand the artwork down (or use the acetone strip method—preference)
    Remove dust
    Skim with fiberglass resin & let dry
    Sand with 60 or 80 grit, leveling as needed.
    Remove dust then sand with 100 or 150 grit
    Skim with dolphin glaze
    Sand with 150 grit, then 220 grit, checking for level with you hand.
    Clean and paint primer.
    Sand with 220 and fill with dolphin glade and sand/primer as needed until fully smooth.

3 weeks later
    #813 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Looking for a method on how to flatten a cabinet side after applying bondo. I've used bondo to do similar work on a couple of previous cabinets but hadn't run into this problem: After sanding down the bondo, I've got high and low areas that feel "wavy" as you run your hand across the surface. I likely caused this by applying to much pressure on the orbital sander as I was sanding down the clumpy areas of the initial bondo application. I'm not sure how to rectify this without potentially making it worse. My research on belt sanders suggests that might be too aggressive. The area of needed coverage might be too large for a hand or electric planer - I've never used either, and the only usage examples I can find on YouTube are with small boards or 2x4's and not with something this large.
    What do you guys suggest for getting this surface flatter?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fiberglass resin. Skim the entire thing with it. See my post above.

I just did a heavily planked cabinet. Came out glass smooth.

#817 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Skim with a wide blade spreader so it spans gaps and deposits material in the low spots. A wide sanding blockwill also help.

This is the correct technique to address the issue.

You may need to pour the fiberglass resin twice. First time use the large spreader. Then use a large flat sanding block, or 1/3rd sheet sander. Once you start to see the wood show through on the peaks, apply the resin a second time, building up the valleys more.

3 months later
    #844 2 years ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Another dumb question:
    When I use shop towels drenched in acetone to solve the paint and scrape it off, i was thinking to throw the waste into a 5 gallon home Depot bucket.
    Now the question is, will the acetone drenched paper towels and paint slurry dissolve the bucket.
    Not planning to reuse the bucket but can i safely put a lid on and throw it away after i leave it standing outside for a day, or what is the proper process there?
    I know i will need rubber or neoprene gloves because acetone will attack nitrile ones and a respirator.

Don’t put a lid on it. Just set it outside, uncovered, until everything is fully dry. Then you can cover it and dispose.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=djblouw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.