Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 954 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 623 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg
    20230815_171154 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider budwin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#197 7 years ago

Great tip Vid !

Rotisserie is a life saver eliminating bumps and bruises to the cab while I'm working on it.

Primed and ready !

Bud

Rotated1 (resized).JPGRotated1 (resized).JPG

Stand1 (resized).JPGStand1 (resized).JPG

#219 7 years ago

Built mine from pipe described here:

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/how-to-build-your-own-playfield-rotisserie.161/

One tip, get pipe without the greasy coating.

Bud

8 months later
    #377 6 years ago

Spent a lot of time repairing corners.
    Anyone used trunk/speaker box corner protectors on the head?

Seems like a way to avoid corner damage in the future.

Comments - Ideas?
    Bud

Corners (resized).JPGCorners (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #399 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

Has anyone here built a rotisserie for cabinets?....would love to see some ideas for this as it seems like a great way to lay/paint stencils and clear.

Like this, plate on front and metal stand offs on back side to separate the stand from the work piece.

Bud

PimpedCab (resized).JPGPimpedCab (resized).JPG

#403 6 years ago
    Quoted from packie1:

Show the back on that thing! Need to see what you are referring to.
    Mike

I guess that would help.

Bud

StandOffs (resized).JPGStandOffs (resized).JPG

#404 6 years ago

Leg Off (resized).JPGLeg Off (resized).JPGJust a modification on the idea of cabinet corner protectors to protect the machine when moving and in storage.

I installed these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6KTPSW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

on my current project in hopes of saving the next guy that restores this (in 20 years) from some of the corner repairs I had to do.

These are covered up by the legs so really no down side I could see. ($1.35 each corner)

I spent way more than that on that damn epoxy and sand paper.

Bud

Quoted from Budwin:

Spent a lot of time repairing corners.
    Anyone used trunk/speaker box corner protectors on the head?
    Seems like a way to avoid corner damage in the future.
    Comments - Ideas?
    Bud

Front Leg (resized).JPGFront Leg (resized).JPG

Under Leg (resized).JPGUnder Leg (resized).JPG

Side Leg (resized).JPGSide Leg (resized).JPG

#407 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can see no reason this Shouldn’t be standard practice! Maybe it’s a little questionable on the back box but ... man we should have been doing this for years

I wish Stern, JJP, Spooky, Dutch, Riot and all other manufacturers would integrate this inexpensive feature to their designs.
    If we never moved these machines around we would not need these corners protected, but we do move them a lot.........
    Too much investment in these pins not to take simple measures to keep them nice.
    If you protect corners on steamer trunks, amps, and speakers why not pins?

2 months later
    #434 6 years ago

I bought mine on eBay, but there is an Amazon link at post #404
    Bud

#436 6 years ago

Oh, I pulled those plastic ones off a new Stern.

You can get the metal equivalent from Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

Bud

1 month later
    #479 6 years ago
    Quoted from manples:

Cabinet clear coat advice please Just painted my Bally Space Time (1972). Very happy with the result.
    The thing is I'd like to clear it but I've read many different things and can't decide what to use: 2k semi-gloss, oil-based satin clear varnish, JC661 High Gloss Multi-Panel Clear with an additive, I've also been told Minwax Polycrylic, etc.
    The main goal is to protect the paint job from scratches and UV yellowing with a good authentic look.
    What do the pros recommend?

Here is a picture of a 1972 Jungle where I used the same type spray as you used, then I brushed on two coats of Minwax Polycrylic.

I liked the semi-gloss look on that one, not sure how authentic the look is since I was just 10 back then.

Bud

Paints (resized).JPGPaints (resized).JPG

IMG_0243 (resized).JPGIMG_0243 (resized).JPG

11 months later
    #542 5 years ago

Not an expert, but my cab had the same particle board rot there.
    I scraped out all the weakened material and built a form fronted with wax paper. (as Vid has already described)
    Then I filled that up with Bondo fiber reinforced filler. (it took about 2/3 of a can to fill it)
    Bondo Fiber (resized).JPGBondo Fiber (resized).JPG
    That stuff is green while wet, but drys dark brown.
    It looks and sands like wood when dry. (really a lot stronger than the particle board)
    Don't forget to drive in some long wood screws down into the healthy fiber board before you poor in Bondo to hold it together.
    (Vid has described that already)
    BTW, only do all that work if the cab is really worth saving.
    Mine came out fine and the repair is not noticeable.

2 years later
    #698 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

My Spy decals were printed on Ore-Jet. These were done by the guy in the UK, unauthorized of course. I'm totally green when it comes to this. I have only done restenciling of so far. Can anyone tell me how this stuff is as far as adhesion goes? He only left about a 1/2 inch of play on the ends of the cab sides, 1/4 inch per side. I have to be a 100% spot on before I lay these down, I know that much.
    Is there a sticky primer needed to make sure these stay put? I'm thinking of something used when hanging wall paper. Or is the clean wood sufficient?
    This cab has T molding on the front, should I fold the extra material over and cover with the T molding or cut it flush to the cab front? I don't want the edges of the decal showing any white. I'm not sure if this material is black all the way through or just printed black.

I definitely did not fold over anything around the T-molding, I always left a 1/16" cut back on the head and cabinet edges all around. (I used the same decals on Ore-Jet without any white showing)
    One thing to watch out for in my experience is wrinkling wherever metal touches the decal. (side rails, legs, and hinges)
    Avoid that at all costs.
    Good Luck

1 year later
    #862 2 years ago

Getting ready to paint, another good use of Vids rotisserie.
    I used two 2FT rods (3/8" threaded rods) and nuts/washers to secure the backbox.
    There are two small holes to fill when done, but for me the convenience of rotating the box for better painting is worth it.
    My smaller rotisserie is on wheels for even more convenience for moving around.

IMG_4309 (resized).JPGIMG_4309 (resized).JPGIMG_4310 (resized).JPGIMG_4310 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider budwin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=budwin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.