(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider borna.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#761 2 years ago

Is rustoleum 2x acrylic enamel good paint to use on the cabinet?

#772 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I’m restoring a Medusa cabinet. I decided to start with the head to work out any mistakes before the main event.
    Well, the red is too red, so back to the drawing board. Question: do I sand down to the wood, or to the primer? Is it possible to shoot the new color over the red without looking terrible?
    Here’s what I’ve done so far: two coats of Rustoleum primer, wet sanded, then 24 hours later, two coats of Rustoleum red, no sanding yet. [quoted image]

May I ask what kind of rustoleum paint you used and what shine?

#774 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

The original was satin red enamel as a 12 oz spray can. It was like a bright, fire engine red. No bueno.
    [quoted image]
    I'm repainting with gloss regal red which is darker and closer to the original. Live and learn.
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the info. I am about to paint my Bally Wizard cabinet and deciding between the kind you used and Rustoleum 2X.
    I know the enamel takes a long time to dry vs rustoleum 2x which is acrylic enamel which dries my faster.
    I wish someone could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each?

#777 2 years ago
    Quoted from rozi550:

As a person with some experience in furniture restoration, I would like to suggest that if you were looking to replicate the original color of the Medusa, you could take the cabinet to your local Sherwin Williams paint store. They have the ability to do a computer scan of the paint and come up with the exact formula for the color. I realize it is a tremendous amount of work to get the cabinet to the store location but it looks like you have all the heavy work done. I would also like to suggest that you post the paint formula here so that we can all benefit from your labor.

I think that is a very good idea. However I have a question, by doing this we are moving away from the conveniences of spray cans.
    With that said, what kind of paint do you recommend and best approach to applying it? Will it be roller, brush, or spray gun?

1 month later
    #818 2 years ago

Not sure why fiberglass has to be used?
    buy a cheap black can of spray. very lightly spray dust the area that you want to work. let if dry for a few mins. then use a sanding block and sand it. All the paint will we remove from the high spot first so now you know your high spot. any painting that still there, is your low spots which bondo can taken care of. repeat this a few times until you get a nice level surface

3 months later
    #848 2 years ago

I restored my 1975 Bally Wizard cabinet
    v2 (resized).jpegv2 (resized).jpegv3 (resized).jpegv3 (resized).jpegv4 (resized).jpegv4 (resized).jpegw1 (resized).jpegw1 (resized).jpeg

v5 (resized).jpegv5 (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #849 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Yikes! I picked up a 6-pack of Marigold Yellow from Amazon back in May for $24 (perfect yellow for Mata Hari). The same 6-pack is now listed on Amazon for $105!! Crazy...[quoted image][quoted image]

Seriously? Home depot and Walmart have them for little over $5

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider borna.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=borna and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.