(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#833 2 years ago

Getting ready to restore my first cabinet (Paragon) and have no prior experience.
    I read through most of the thread but still have a few questions:

Since it's lead paint that I'm removing I was thinking about using Citristrip for the majority of the paint (never worked with it before) but I have heard mixed reviews. Most of the stuff that is recommended seems to be very caustic and fumy. Anybody worked with Citristrip before?
    I figure I'll have to neutralize and clean it afterwards as well, but getting water onto a stripped cabinet seems not like a bright idea to me. Any insight into that?
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but I have zero experience and aside from the Garage I don't have really a workspace, so I don't want to contaminate it too much with lead if I can avoid it. It's getting into the freezing temps here too, that's gonna be a problem as well I imagine.

#835 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

I tried it briefly for paint removal, not so good for me. Great for getting sticky gunk off, but did little to remove the original paint from a 40 year old cabinet. Acetone is caustic and fumy, but for me it's the safest way to (easily) remove these old paint jobs and get down to bare wood.

You may want to wait for warmer weather and do it outside if you're not chemically stripping (and you should that outside as well unless your garage is well ventilated and you leave the garage door open). Even if you get the cabinet stripped now, you won't be able to put down any primer or paint until temps get north of 55F. Or you have a heated, well ventilated garage.

I was afraid you would say that, but it is what it is then and I'll have to wait for temps to raise and do it outside.

I got a Paragon that's in players condition and I found another one that's from a usability standpoint just a cabinet, mechs and playfield wiring harness. The majority of the rest is missing or in so bad condition its pretty much useless. So, I was hoping I could start restoring this while still being able to play on the other one.
    I already got a new board set from Alltek and got on the list for a CPR playfield. This machine will be bolted down to the floor once its finished and with the spare parts i may be able to create another players condition machine for someone else to enjoy. Gonna buy legs, flipper rebuild kits and whatever else may missing or broken. Looking also into one of those ultrasonic cleaners for that.

Since I'm a total noob and don't have any equipment whatsoever I was thinking to purchase this sprayer: Fuji Semi Pro 2
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4NPMJE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9CVJ5Z73SKQ8S3YX9ZBN

Rustoleum in the colors that I would need seem to be sold out everywhere so I was thinking Sherwin Williams ProClassic Waterborne Interior Acrylic Enamel because I can tint that to what I need and it should dry quicker than oil based, but am not sure how well that would spray with the above mentioned device and how much to thin it and what tip size is needed. I figure the Killz I will have to roll/brush and let sit for 30 days no matter what.

The only other option from what I have seen in the thread if I don't want to spend a lot on a huge compressor is to parallel connect two 6 Gallon Pancake compressors and hope thats enough for the HF Spray gun that Vid mentioned...

Any insight there is welcome as well and thank you for your advise, appreciate it!

#838 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

All my painting, including Kilz primer applications, is done with rattle cans.

Someone suggested Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x Marigold, Apple Red and some color of blue that within a 100 mile radius I can find like almost no stock anywhere or via Amazon $150 for 6 cans (which seems ridiculous).

That's why I started looking at the HVLP stuff, but the initial cost is pretty high...

#841 2 years ago

Found some of those rattle cans an hour away, how many do you need per layer of the base color coat?
    I have absolutely no idea.
    4 for outside, 2 for head and 2 for the top half of the inside maybe after 2 layers of kilz?

1 week later
    #843 2 years ago

Another dumb question:

When I use shop towels drenched in acetone to solve the paint and scrape it off, i was thinking to throw the waste into a 5 gallon home Depot bucket.
    Now the question is, will the acetone drenched paper towels and paint slurry dissolve the bucket.
    Not planning to reuse the bucket but can i safely put a lid on and throw it away after i leave it standing outside for a day, or what is the proper process there?

I know i will need rubber or neoprene gloves because acetone will attack nitrile ones and a respirator.

#847 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballPimp:

When I paint my cabs and use spray, I usually use the amount of cans below to finish a game. I use a little more than most since I paint the INSIDE of my cabs as well
    BASE = 14-16 cans
    PRIMER = 14-16 cans
    STENCILS = 1-2 cans for each color
    I only do 2-3 light whispy coats on stencils just enough to cover. You DO NOT want to go thick or full coat on stencils like you would a basecoat
    Pimp

Got the Fuji Semi Pro2 as a Christmas present from my best friend, so I'm going to use that out now. Am really excited!

I'll be ordering the stencil from you as soon as I have the cabinet prepped, may be a little though due to temps.

3 weeks later
    #850 2 years ago
    Quoted from borna:

Seriously? Home depot and Walmart has them for little over $5

None in a 150 mile radius when I was looking. May have restocked since.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=T3quila and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.