(Topic ID: 132130)

Cabinet Restoration - Vid's Guide

By vid1900

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_1146 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
    PB CAB 4 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 2 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 3 (resized).jpg
    PB CAB 1 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.19 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 13.13.08 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.56.05 (resized).jpg
    2023-10-19 12.55.57 (resized).jpg
    20230412_184020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wear a respirator when sanding old paint Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #2 Repairing large missing wood chunks with fiberglass resin Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #24 Primer and Paint commentary Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #103 Repairing separated corners Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #145 Wood selection Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #273 Steps to replace a cabinet bottom Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #344 Proper Router Bit for Creating Corner Joints on Cabinets. Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #489 Separated Corners on Cabinets and How to Repair Them. Posted by vid1900 (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarcelG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 8 years ago

Vid- Prior to painting or stickering, how would you prep a pinball cabinet surface to be plank free, and stay plank free ?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Never store a game in a garage - that's the best way to keep the wood from planking.
    -
    You can fill all the dent's and dings, then spray 2 Part Auto Primer or 2PAC and sand it flat.
    The 2PAC works good when you need to see the old stenciling to cut frisket for restoration.
    The 2PAP works good when you are using new stencils.

will the 2PAC sag immediately if sprayed to a vertical surface (ie the sides of the box)?

2 weeks later
    #41 8 years ago

Hi Vid-

I'd like to hear your method of removing the sharp edges of the color layers after stenciling a cab.

1 month later
    #73 8 years ago

I have used Varathane before and had it fully cured. I then sanded and polished the hell out of it and it looks like a thin sheet of glass. Colors are brilliant. Just my observations.

#75 8 years ago

Yes I used it on my Xenon playfield after touching up. This back in 1998.
    When you say color knock down you mean (for example), the reds are darker, details (ie bally line art) are fuzzier ?

7 months later
    #152 7 years ago

will a rustoleum-brand oil-based white paint turn yellow over time ?

1 month later
    #179 7 years ago

Hi vid.
    when you say 'easing the edges' (knocking off the ridges with 1200 grit), do you have a detailed procedure on how its done ?
    Do you attempt to polish out the scuff marks you just created with this process ?

#183 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, wet or fine sandpaper will clog

Do you use naphtha when sanding wet ?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarcelG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide?tu=MarcelG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.