Cabinet repair

By GoneFishinLvMsg

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

So I had been toying with the idea of buying a better FT to replace my beater one, but then I got to thinking, since the cab stickers are still available and CPR is doing a repro playfield, why not just make mine nicer?

My question is, how hard/feasible is it to repair the cabinet? The plywood is delaminating and there are some small chunks missing along the bottom. I also noticed that one of the corners is pretty well-rounded (it gets covered up by the leg, so no big deal?) Is it possible to fill this in and seal it before applying new decals, or is it a lost cause? I've never re-decaled a pin before, and to be honest, the task is a little daunting to me. I have no problem fixing electrical and mechanical issues, but fixing cosmetic stuff is not my strong suit.

#2 12 years ago

Lots of bondo (or your wood filler of choice), a lot of sanding, and a lot of time.

You're going to strip the cabinet down to bare wood, remove any loose chunks, fill with bondo, sand smooth, prime, paint, and apply decals. It's going to be messy, and requires a lot of time and space to do properly. Down the road, you will probably never get out what you put in in terms of money and time.

My opinion is you really don't play the cabinet... my gameroom isn't a showroom or a museum, it's a place to play a few pins. My enjoyment of a pin comes out of how good the gameplay is, so I'll definitely go all out on the playfield. I could care less about the cabinet unless it's filling a simple small gouge or something.

#3 12 years ago

While I agree you don't play the cabinet it is still nice to look at a good one. If you want a better ft cabinet just reo yours. It is going to cost 250ish to get decals, plus bondo and your time. In the end you will end up with a much nicer setup short of paying 1500 for a predone one.

#4 12 years ago

OK thanks. I'm with you on gameplay being the primary focus, but the artwork on FT is so cool when unfaded, and unfaded examples are nearly impossible to find. I know I'm keeping this pin forever now after a half-hearted attempt at selling earlier this year, so increasing the value doesn't really matter to me.

#5 12 years ago

"In the end you will end up with a much nicer setup short of paying 1500 for a predone one."

If I could find a restickered FT for $1500 it would be in my gameroom and we wouldn't be having this discussion. You can hardly find a beater for that price these days.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

If I could find a restickered FT for $1500 it would be in my gameroom and we wouldn't be having this discussion. You can hardly find a beater for that price these days.

I wasn't implying a complete machine. I was talking about a new cabinet with the decals already installed. You would still have to move all the hardware over.

#7 12 years ago

Josh,

It's easier than you may think. I've done six cabinets so far and have enjoyed each one. While I agree you don't play the cabinet, I like to bring a pin back to a full life and cabinet work is part of that. If you want, bring it over and I'll strip it down to bare wood for you using my Festool RO125. Less than 30 minutes work and we'll have it ready for bondo and primer.

I've got two more in line (Strikes & Spares and Skateball) before I redo my AFM cabinet. I've been sitting on new decals for a long time now and want to get them on the cabinet (while swapping in my new HEP pf).

#8 12 years ago

Wow, what a nice gesture, H_L! I will definitely take you up on that. OK, I guess I am ordering decals...

#9 12 years ago

Having someone who's done a cabinet show you how it's done is the best way to do it, otherwise, you will make mistakes on the first few you do. You'll learn as you go.

It's the part of a restoration I enjoy the most but it's also the most time consuming, if you want it done right.

From the time I start removing everything from the cabinet until the time everything is done, I think I spend about 50 hours or so.

You also need the right tools and the right space to sand and paint. I know my wife would kill me if I did this in my garage.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Wow, what a nice gesture, H_L! I will definitely take you up on that. OK, I guess I am ordering decals...

#10 12 years ago

www.letsplaypinball.com

#11 12 years ago

Well, I was going to place my order for the decals and the topper for JD that I need from Illinois pinball today, but they have both been removed from the website. They were there yesterday! Both items are available from other vendors, but they are more expensive.

son-of-a-bitch!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-repair-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.