(Topic ID: 169784)

Cabinet Repaint (just the black)

By mof

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joey__p__1966.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Post a pic of it , I'll help you all I can . I might be able to lay out a plan for you .
    Joey

#4 7 years ago

PS: I just did one today repainting only the background yellow . Hopefully you can follow what I did to some extent .
    Joey

#6 7 years ago

Alright, i looked at the pics. The front side is easy to mask off the colors and repair the black.
    What I would do is:
    use some 1/4 " automotive body shop fine line tape 3M 6405 and run a precise masked edge along the colors with the fine line, and fill in between the fine line tape with low stick painters tape like home depot sells. 3/4" or 2" depending how much you have to fill in.
    Then sand the damaged area of black with some 320 -400 grit paper where it needs to be filled just for adhesion, extend a few inches past the holes or damage.
    Mix some polyester body filler ( bondo) and using either a plastic razor blade, or a bondo spreader and fill in the holes/indentions by wiping the area with the spreader. Dont glob it on , try to get it pretty close to the final shape, it will save you time.
    Allow to dry and sand with 180 grit until flush and level. I wrap my sandpaper around a cut off paint paddle ( wood stir stick) about 3" long and sand with it in cross hatch directions. Once its nearly flush final sand with 240 or 320 grit. If its needs a second wipe, do it again.
    Do this for all divots/ damaged areas. while sanding bondo, stay off the tape , you will sand through and damage the colors.
    After you have everything sanded , final sand all of the black area with grey scotch brite pad, or 500 grit paper. If you don't damage the masking tape, proceed, if you damage the tape, retape it. Prime the bondo and an inch or two past with aerosol primer, a couple coats and allow to dry. Resand the primer with 500-600 grit lightly, and extend into the rest of the black area. Just go far enough to sand smooth the overspray so no rough areas of primer exist.
    Now, for painting the black. I have spray equipment, so I spray automotive basecoat mixed with a little ( 5%) clear coat hardener to add some gloss. You on the other hand, don't want gloss , so experiment with some aerosol semigloss black to see if you can do a large area and keep it even. I would practice this on a scrap piece of wood that i primed to see how the black looks over the primer , and on a big area , say 2' by 2'.

The sides, same situation , BUT, you have to mask the red stars, and you cant get bondo up against the stars, or and masked areas without creating some problems. Its easy to fill and sand in the middle of black, its harder to do it up against a colored section. You might have to do the black and then come back and remake the red stars afterwards, making a template to use for masking the stars again.
    I would use 1/8" fine line 3M 6404 for masking stars, and an xacto knife.

Same way I did the yellow on my taxi, i just faded ( blended) out the yellow in the skinny area and only painted the corner. But I masked the color and bondo'd the damage.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-restoration-no-turning-back-now#post-3366715

Bondo rule of thumb, put a glob of bondo on a piece of cardboard ( golf ball size blob) , squirt a bead of hardener the width of the blob ,about 1 inch for golf ball size blob ,squirt it out alongside the glob. then mix in using a smushing motion, don't stir or whip, smush it down, scrape it up onto the spreader and repeat. do this just until you don't see the hardener streaks of color anymore, you will have about 60 - 120 seconds to work it before it dries , do a spot or two and a time.

Thats about all i can tell you, i use a spraygun and would probably try a semigloss automotive clear to clear the whole side of the cabinet, but haven't done this myself, so you will have to get other opinions of that if you decide to clear it all one gloss.
    Also, might get opinions of type of paint to use on the cabinet if you cant spray with spraygun.

Hope this helps you begin to form a plan, just my opinion, hopefully others can offer suggestions that have done something very similar to what your doing.
    Good Luck,
    Joey

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joey__p__1966.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-repaint-just-the-black?tu=joey__p__1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.