IMG_0423 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
IMG_0406 (resized).JPG
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431642504.211719 (resized).jpg
IMG_5682 (resized).jpg
IMG_5683 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

On the cabinets I don't paint the entire thing, just the edges and leave the majority of the decal area primed. But I spend weeks on a cabinet - sand, fill, sand, fill.....

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When applying decals does it matter what colour surface is? ie can it be just left the colour of the primer with the edges sprayed the colour of the game. Can you see this through the decals? Or are they usually thick enough you don't see the beneath paint or what colour it is.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've installed many different sets of decals and it's never been an issue. And I do mine the same way as Weirpinball.

Perfect so no point wasting paint by painting whole game final colour of cabinet just the edges.

I am in the same boat as the OP first time restoring a cabinet and its one massive learning experience also having issues with getting rid of wood grain, as you can really see where the wood filler is vs the normal wood, not sure if just multiple coats of primer / sanding will remove or if i need to cover the whole thing with a very thin coat of wood filler to really smooth it down.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Doesn't matter if the outer paint job is a solid uniform colour or just the edges but that the decal isn't being applied onto bare wood.

It's literally about 90% prep work/10% decal application.
You'll get used to it after the first two dozen or so.
For the 90% grind, put some earbuds in with your favourites playlist and go hard.

indeed i am starting to learn this, i thought the pf swap was gonna be the hard part! it's easy compared to sorting this cabinet out

#20 4 years ago

Ill be using a dark grey primer, and spraying edges with the dark Earthshaker blue. The decals seem pretty thick. I was going to cut off a bit (in unused section and just though just to be safe)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-prep-for-decals?tu=russdx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.