Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

paint speckle 1 (resized).jpg
20180227_080309 (resized).jpg
20180227_080338 (resized).jpg
IMG_0687 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

How are people applying the metallic paint speckle to early (late 70's early 80's) Bally cabinets?

I've heard of people using a toothbrush. I'm certain the factory used some kind of HVLP set or adjusted for the right pattern. Any thoughts from the restoration pros here?

If you're using HVLP, what adjustments do you make? What pressure? I have some old, cheap, $12 HVLP guns that I could modify if I knew how.

Example of the original gold speckles:

IMG_0687 (resized).JPGIMG_0687 (resized).JPG

Thoughts? vid1900 @high_end_pins? Thanks all.

#2 6 years ago

I got nice speckle out of my airbrush.

I followed this technique: http://www.iwata-medea.com/resources/how-to-articles/technique/how-to-a-gritty-angle-on-stipple/

Basically pump the trigger, it alternately forms a droplet on the tip of the brush and then blows it off.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I followed this technique: http://www.iwata-medea.com/resources/how-to-articles/technique/how-to-a-gritty-angle-on-stipple/
Basically pump the trigger, it alternately forms a droplet on the tip of the brush and then blows it off.

Nice tip, will give this a go.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Unfortunately, I don't have that type of airbrush (unless you mean stipple as generated from an HVLP gun)?

#5 6 years ago

I used my Sata spray gun with the air pressure turned down. Worked great. You may have to experiment to see what works for you.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I used my Sata spray gun with the air pressure turned down. Worked great. You may have to experiment to see what works for you.

May I ask what Sata gun you're using?

#7 6 years ago

NR2000 I have had it for many years.

#8 6 years ago

I used a nylon scrub brush that is like a big tooth brush. Get some paint onto it and run your thumb across the bristles to throw paint onto the cabinet. I do it with the cabinet on its side so the side being painted is straight up in the air. I hold the brush to the side so any large blobs that drop off the brush don't hit the cabinet. Works great in no time. Gives a good spatter and variety of dot sizes.

#9 6 years ago

I use a tooth brush ! My old school painter showed me.I dip it in a oil base or laquer paint,usually silver or gold .Turning it upside down and flicking the brush with my finger,sounds funny but look at my results

20180227_080338 (resized).jpg20180227_080338 (resized).jpg

20180227_080309 (resized).jpg20180227_080309 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

This method has never failed me for paint speckling.

1) A welding wire brush (the type with very stiff wires).
2) A hammer or 2x4 piece to hit the brush
3) Thin the paint in a tray that the brush can be dipped into (I usually make it very thin)
4) Dip the brush tips, shake off excess
5) Hovering over the areas to be speckled hit the brush to release dots of paint
6) Adjusting distance and hitting force will randomize the dot size
7) Localized spot touch ups for more dots to even out overall look is easy to do

It sounds unconventional but it has always produced excellent results for me.

Alan

paint speckle 1 (resized).jpgpaint speckle 1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-paint-speckle-techniques and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.