image.jpg
Child painter.JPG
image.jpg
image-984.jpg
image-410.jpg
image-620.jpg
image-571.jpg
image-105.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geekbus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

I was just on my way out to my shed to ponder my Sweet Add-A-Line project when I saw this thread. I bought the SAAL a few years ago, in terrible shape, because I thought I'd never find another one I could afford. I'm pretty okay with the mechanical stuff, but I've never done any paint or art restoration. This machine cries out for it. The cabinet is painted solid black. Goo-Gone doesn't touch it. Sanding reveals a pinkish hue underneath. I'd love to find even the outlines of the original paint job. Do you think that stuff might work? I suppose I'll run out now and get some - try a small spot.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Ugh. Now I see why they painted the Sweet Add-A-Line black. It looks like a 4 year old had painted it pink and orange underneath. Looks like I will have to start from scratch somehow. Anyway, no matter what I do, it won't look worse. Thanks for the tip, though!

#18 9 years ago

Any suggestions about color matching for my Sweet Add-A-Line woodrail cabinet? I haven't stripped the whole black paint job, but it looks like no sign of the original paint underneath. So I have two problems, tracing and color matching. I can do both from pics on ipdb, but especially the color matching seems unreliable that way.

#20 9 years ago

Wow! Thanks. What a great tip. I had checked under the legs, and the flipper guards are gone, but I hadn't thought of the beehives! There are four colors there - maroonish one, lime green, yellow, and orange. I don't know what the green is, but I'm guessing the yellow is the base color, and the maroon is the original. The orange is the color under the black that was once slathered around. There is maroon under the ball loading beehive, as it should be. This is a great start - thanks so much!
image.jpgimage.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider geekbus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-paint-restoration?tu=geekbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.