Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by shirkle
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
Child painter.JPG
image.jpg
image-984.jpg
image-410.jpg
image-620.jpg
image-571.jpg
image-105.jpg

#1 5 years ago

So I picked up a 1964 Williams Soccer, and some idiot had painted the cabinet red. It was a horrible paint job, over spray on the side rails, drip marks, only 2/3 painted on the one side, basically a gong show.
I knew I'd need to repaint it, but before I started sanding it, I thought I'd try a paint remover that I had left over from my deck. I just poured it right on, and used a scrub brush. It worked beautifully!
I was able to get the shitty red off without harming the original paint. Sure, the cabinet looks a little worn, but I'd rather that than what it was.
In case you're ever in the same boat, and want to try it, I've included a product shot as well.
I wish I took photos before I started, but I did shoot the second side once I saw how it worked.
image-984.jpgimage-410.jpgimage-571.jpgimage-620.jpgimage-105.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Nice work! I wonder who thought their repaint looked better than the original????

I'm just throwing in my usual reminder not to sand lead paint in your house or garage because you can never get the lead out .

That is an outside job only, downwind from your garden, with a respirator.

#3 5 years ago

Nice! What an improvement. Great game too!

#4 5 years ago

Wow.
Why would anyone put that horrible red over something that was not even bad in the first place?
Vandals?

#5 5 years ago

ill have to show you my em cabinet. It was excactly the same... even think it was the same horrible paint.

#6 5 years ago

Man, that came off great! Why, oh why do imbeciles paint over a perfectly good original cabinet!!!!!

#7 5 years ago

Great job and good tip on the paint remover.

It could have been worse, I bought a machine with oil based paint covering the cabinet so no getting back to the old paintwork.

#8 5 years ago

I have no idea what was going through that guys head. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't bad enough to warrant that atrocity.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Tridentphoto:

So I picked up a 1964 Williams Soccer, and some idiot had painted the cabinet red. It was a horrible paint job, over spray on the side rails, drip marks, only 2/3 painted on the one side, basically a gong show.
I knew I'd need to repaint it, but before I started sanding it, I thought I'd try a paint remover that I had left over from my deck. I just poured it right on, and used a scrub brush. It worked beautifully!
I was able to get the shitty red off without harming the original paint. Sure, the cabinet looks a little worn, but I'd rather that than what it was.
In case you're ever in the same boat, and want to try it, I've included a product shot as well.
I wish I took photos before I started, but I did shoot the second side once I saw how it worked.

image-105.jpg 93 KB

image-571.jpg 155 KB

image-620.jpg 131 KB

image-410.jpg 140 KB

image-984.jpg 181 KB

I picked up the same game once years ago which was all stained brown, then cleared over. The playfield had a sheet of plexiglass over it which was so tight, we couldn't slide it out. My friend smashed it with a hammer a few times, and It finally broke. Unfortunately, it also marred the playfield, but not too badly. I still haven't tried any removal or repainting of that game. It's pretty nice otherwise.

#10 5 years ago

That has to be among the most terrible looking repaints I've ever seen.

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

Jesus christ, that repaint is a god damned horror show.

#12 5 years ago

I was just on my way out to my shed to ponder my Sweet Add-A-Line project when I saw this thread. I bought the SAAL a few years ago, in terrible shape, because I thought I'd never find another one I could afford. I'm pretty okay with the mechanical stuff, but I've never done any paint or art restoration. This machine cries out for it. The cabinet is painted solid black. Goo-Gone doesn't touch it. Sanding reveals a pinkish hue underneath. I'd love to find even the outlines of the original paint job. Do you think that stuff might work? I suppose I'll run out now and get some - try a small spot.
image.jpg

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Kershawesome:

Jesus christ, that repaint is a god damned horror show.

Would you please respectfully not use the name of the Lord in vain (seriously)? It is offensive to some of us out here. There are many other expressions you can use. Not reporting it this time, but please be respectful of other's religious beliefs. Thanks.

#14 5 years ago

Ugh. Now I see why they painted the Sweet Add-A-Line black. It looks like a 4 year old had painted it pink and orange underneath. Looks like I will have to start from scratch somehow. Anyway, no matter what I do, it won't look worse. Thanks for the tip, though!

#15 5 years ago

Hmmm where have i seen that type of cabinet repaint artwork before. Oh yeah.

Child painter.JPG

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nice work! I wonder who thought their repaint looked better than the original????
I'm just throwing in my usual reminder not to sand lead paint in your house or garage because you can never get the lead out .
That is an outside job only, downwind from your garden, with a respirator.

Just curious, approximately when did pinball companies switch from lead paint? I'm about to sand down a Bally's Strikes and Spares from 1978, which seems to be right when lead paints were made illegal for household use...not sure about commercial usage though.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Just curious, approximately when did pinball companies switch from lead paint? I'm about to sand down a Bally's Strikes and Spares from 1978, which seems to be right when lead paints were made illegal for household use...not sure about commercial usage though.

I would like to see pictures of your re-paint of Strikes & Spares.
Could you post them in another thread ?
How does this machine play ? I think I would like to find one.

#18 5 years ago

Any suggestions about color matching for my Sweet Add-A-Line woodrail cabinet? I haven't stripped the whole black paint job, but it looks like no sign of the original paint underneath. So I have two problems, tracing and color matching. I can do both from pics on ipdb, but especially the color matching seems unreliable that way.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from geekbus:

Any suggestions about color matching for my Sweet Add-A-Line woodrail cabinet? I haven't stripped the whole black paint job, but it looks like no sign of the original paint underneath. So I have two problems, tracing and color matching. I can do both from pics on ipdb, but especially the color matching seems unreliable that way.

Have you checked:
- under the legs
- under the metal flipper guards (if still present, and painted over)
- under the two 'beehive' pushrod housings

#20 5 years ago

Wow! Thanks. What a great tip. I had checked under the legs, and the flipper guards are gone, but I hadn't thought of the beehives! There are four colors there - maroonish one, lime green, yellow, and orange. I don't know what the green is, but I'm guessing the yellow is the base color, and the maroon is the original. The orange is the color under the black that was once slathered around. There is maroon under the ball loading beehive, as it should be. This is a great start - thanks so much!
image.jpg

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Just curious, approximately when did pinball companies switch from lead paint?

The last game I checked with the lead tester from work was 2005 and it still had lead in it.

They may never have switched at all, and even if they did, China could still supply some tainted product at any time.

The CPSA keeps finding lead in the paint on children's toys, so you should assume all commercial paints are still leaded, unless you physically test otherwise.

#22 5 years ago

Great information for those of us who restore. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 64.95
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 11.95
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside