PopaCardShopJob 029.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So....what do you use?

Krylon "Ivory"?
Other rattle can?

Roller and Latex?
Sprayed on Latex

Other?

I would like to use a gun to spray on lacquer, but I'm having a hard time sourcing the paint. Any ideas?

I used a Pratt and Whitney oil based paint for a Pop-A-Card a while back. It was OK, but like most oil, it dried slow and is prone to runs.

PopaCardShopJob 029.jpgPopaCardShopJob 029.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newmantjn/sets/72157608644884378/

#2 9 years ago

Krylon Ivory satin for me, at least on the last one I did, which was Royal Guard.

I've used other rattle cans too.

#3 9 years ago

I did one with a gun and decided the results with a rattle can were better, faster and waaaay easier.

#4 9 years ago

Good old fashioned Cellulose, what they used originally, from a gun.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

Good old fashioned Cellulose, what they used originally, from a gun.

Where do you get this?

#6 9 years ago

I get auto paint mixed and put in spay cans to make the all base coats. Drys immediately and finish with a clear coat also from a can. its all complete in 2 -4 hours. So simple that I and cavemen can spray it. Results are excellent.

I airbrush using acrylic paints (Createx or possibly cheaper craft $1+) small designs.

Steve J.

DSC01680.jpgDSC01680.jpg
DSC02008.jpgDSC02008.jpg
DSC01676-665.jpgDSC01676-665.jpg

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Results are excellent.

I would have to agree with that.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Where do you get this?

I get it from a place that sells auto refinishing supplies. They mix it to match any sample I take to them. I am in the UK, not sure if you can still buy it over there, try asking.

#9 9 years ago

Here is a link to a North Star I just finished:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A5JtdOXmJtI50k

I sprayed auto paint obtained from a local auto parts store, they mixed the colors there, i brought in the head of the game and they matched them perfectly. Both automotive places near me sell paint. I have been using the Bren Ultra-Cut II as template material as recommended on clays site, i would not use anything else, this stuff i great. In the past i have used other substances for templates, much harder to work with and not near as nice results. I bought a few rolls of this as i have a couple other games in line to be painted. A 50 roll goes a long way. Got mine on epay.
One note, i used the same paint to repaint the front of a different cabinet the other day, and used a foam brush, the results where the same. Really came nice! NO sanding required, and it dried great. I don't think i will bother spraying in the future if I can get consistent results this way, as i don't have a dedicated spray booth or area, and that really makes it difficult. If you do spray, a tyvek or similar suit and respirator are a necessity, not an option, this stuff i terrible for you.
Also, rattle cans of krylon that match the colors can be used for the template colors, I did that for my front panel repaint the other day too and they adhered just fine to the auto base coat. I did not clear over this, so your results may vary if you decide to clear, not sure how it will react to the krylon or the krylon to it.

#10 9 years ago

I've had excellent results with Krylon paint.

DSC01247 (Large).JPGDSC01247 (Large).JPG DSC01389 (Large).JPGDSC01389 (Large).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.