Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by novaguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    0eb77e61-05b8-462f-9fc4-0094d5e2aea4_1000 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

So I picked up an "improved" cabinet for my El Dorado. Paint and cabinet were solid, a marked improvement in my current faded, carved, and chipped setup. Been working for the last couple of weeks moving (and cleaning, etc) parts over to the new cabinet. Ready to just drop in the playfield and start playing and it wont drop in, looks crooked. Play around with it, but as I look closer it appears that the cab is not square...WTF!! Get the framing square out and, yep it's out like a 1/4" and that's just half way back the cabinet. So basically the whole thing is racked about 4 degrees. Something you can't even notice when inspecting....until the glass goes in.

Guess I'm the fool, but that's the last thing I would think to check.

Anyone ever have this happen? My problem is that someone repaired the cabinet bottom plywood strips that hold in the bottom plywood board with Gorilla Glue. May be tough to tear into it and repair.

Ideas anyone? Thinking right now if I can get the corner braces out I could get it square...hopefully.

#2 7 years ago

I would think that at 1/4in it should be possible to correct using a long cabinet clamp diagonally to true the cabinet against the longer diagonal measurement. It may be necessary to remove/relieve the bottom board & loosen the corner quads to ease the correction. Should be achievable in a few hours at most.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I would think that at 1/4in it should be possible to correct using a long cabinet clamp diagonally to true the cabinet against the longer diagonal measurement. It may be necessary to remove/relieve the bottom board & loosen the corner quads to ease the correction. Should be achievable in a few hours at most.

Unless they glued the bottom board in.....

#4 7 years ago

I had that problem with a wide body Big Game. I'm like "how do I fix this?" It sort of fixed itself. I was in process of of restoring the cab so I had stripped it down and took it out to the back porch and stood it up on end to work on the bottom and I also needed to put the play field glass back in place.

And, lo and behold, when I put the play field glass back in and stood the cab back up I discovered I was square again. So, I'm guessing it was just normal flexing, or flexing with old dry joints.

I cured the problem by bonding (with Gorilla Glue) and screwing a 90 degree cabinet brackets (from the hardware store) on the bottom at each corner and I also removed the two inside wooden corner pieces at the player end of the cab and reglued them.

My cabinet was/is a nice cab, but thebefore/after difference in how solid it felt when being moved with the dolly was tremendous.

I'm still in process of getting this pin back together so I can't offer any info. if game play will be affected, or not.

I advise caution about bonding the corner brackets on the bottom of the cab because (1) they will not be original and (2) they may affect how the pin plays when being nudged.

P.S. I have another standard sized pin and noticed it was out of square by how the two apron hold-down screws differed in distance from the edge of the lockdown bar. But through play and nudging, it has returned to square condition.

You might try standing your cab on end, and by using your glass as your gauge, see if it will square up for you.

Good luck. I would like to hear if any of this works for you.

EDIT: Like a fool, I did not read down far enough and read the part about the ply wood strips being Gorilla glued in. You may have to chisel those and do another re-glue. At the very least, if me, I would be contacting the "woodworker?" who did this kind of work and see what they are going to do about it.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Unless they glued the bottom board in.....

Which they did...

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

At the very least, if me, I would be contacting the "woodworker?" who did this kind of work and see what they are going to do about it.

I've been thinking about that. I'm at least going to message him that I'm not happy I was sold a cabinet that was unusable in it's current condition. See what happens.

#7 7 years ago

Go to Harbor Freight and get an oscillating cutter or plunge cutter. HF's unit is only about $20.00. Cutting blades may be extra.

Gorilla glue will cut fairly easily and the plunge cut blade will let you get underneath the plywood strips and do a cut-release of the bottom if you need to. you can also use this tool to cut your corner braces away form the cab.

HF's Multi-function power tool.

It is the best $20-$30 I ever spent.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=multifunction+power+tool

Like this Mikita

0eb77e61-05b8-462f-9fc4-0094d5e2aea4_1000 (resized).jpg0eb77e61-05b8-462f-9fc4-0094d5e2aea4_1000 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Was it the first cabinet they ever built? I can't imagine how they would not get the cabinet absolutely square during the assembly. I've replaced panels on a Gravitar cabinet, and built some new cabinets, and I realize how tricky it is, but it's critical.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joey_N:

Was it the first cabinet they ever built? I can't imagine how they would not get the cabinet absolutely square during the assembly. I've replaced panels on a Gravitar cabinet, and built some new cabinets, and I realize how tricky it is, but it's critical.

The bottom repair of the box was done nicely, clean and good fit.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Go to Harbor Freight and get an oscillating cutter or plunge cutter. HF's unit is only about $20.00. Cutting blades may be extra.
    Gorilla glue will cut fairly easily and the plunge cut blade will let you get underneath the plywood strips and do a cut-release of the bottom if you need to. you can also use this tool to cut your corner braces away form the cab.
    HF's Multi-function power tool.
    It is the best $20-$30 I ever spent.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=multifunction+power+tool
    Like this Mikita

Got a nice Bosch oscillating multi-tool I use all the time. That's a good idea cottonm4! Thanks.

#11 7 years ago

Here's what I did with my Roto Pool cab and it seemed to work.

Ted

IMG_1880 (resized).JPGIMG_1880 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from novaguy:

Ted

If his bottom board is already glued in this won't work!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

If his bottom board is already glued in this won't work!

Read post #7 and post #10.

#14 7 years ago

from how i read it and correct me if i am wrong. the OP got a oem cabinet that was repainted to replace the bad on he had.
    the seller replaced the cabinet bottom panel and glued it in or did he glue new wood strips along the edge? that would matter to re-square the cab
    who was the seller?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from novaguy:

Ted

This could work if I can cut away the bottom board with the oscillating tool. Good idea. Assuming you placed some scrap at the end of the strap hooks to keep it from digging into the wood?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

from how i read it and correct me if i am wrong. the OP got a oem cabinet that was repainted to replace the bad on he had.
    the seller replaced the cabinet bottom panel and glued it in or did he glue new wood strips along the edge? that would matter to re-square the cab
    who was the seller?

Got the cab out near you boilerman, in Strasburg. You should be able to figure it out from there.

The paint is original, but the bottom plywood edges (from the dado cut slot, that always seem to be damaged) that hold the bottom board in were all removed and strips of 3/4" plywood cut and glued in. That part was done fairly nice and clean. The corner brackets were also glued back in. Not sure if the cabinet was taken apart, but it doesn't appear that it was.

I went out to get a better head cabinet because of some termite damage to mine and ended up just buying the whole cabinet since it was in better overall shape than mine.

On that note...anyone want a cheap El Dorado cabinet? It's not that bad overall and can easily be fixed, but needs a fresh paint job. I just didn't feel like painting and repairing if I could get one at a reasonable cost.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from tengle93:

Got the cab out near you boilerman, in Strasburg. You should be able to figure it out from there.
    The paint is original, but the bottom plywood edges (from the dado cut slot, that always seem to be damaged) that hold the bottom board in were all removed and strips of 3/4" plywood cut and glued in. That part was done fairly nice and clean. The corner brackets were also glued back in. Not sure if the cabinet was taken apart, but it doesn't appear that it was.
    I went out to get a better head cabinet because of some termite damage to mine and ended up just buying the whole cabinet since it was in better overall shape than mine.
    On that note...anyone want a cheap El Dorado cabinet? It's not that bad overall and can easily be fixed, but needs a fresh paint job. I just didn't feel like painting and repairing if I could get one at a reasonable cost.

i know who and i saw that cabinet first hand. the bottom was done poorly. but i never would of checked for square either so don't feel bad. bottom panels are easy to replace but if done right they don't need to be glues in.
    you might get lucky with novaguys method if not pm me and maybe i can help you out

1 week later
    #18 7 years ago

All done. Had to remove the bottom panel (multi-tool was perfect) and used the strap idea to pull it square. Glued with TightBond to hold it square and I'm back in business (except for a sticky score reel....figures)

Thanks for the ideas everyone, big help in getting the best way to fix it fast...well sort of fast.

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
    #19 7 years ago

Glad to see you got it done.mine was a real pita to do but it's good now.

Ted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-not-square and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.