Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B2B02A4C-C983-48BB-BA34-E8271B2E3082 (resized).jpeg
B08DED05-7AF6-458B-A1F5-BEC8124E5CCE (resized).jpeg
83F077E8-F971-41A0-BABF-0065AD8EFD48 (resized).png
EB6C1F89-1A46-4A45-A9EE-24B36341485C (resized).jpeg
B841F127-C0C6-4B38-A258-9558087B3DCA (resized).jpeg

#1 9 months ago

I picked i up a Gottlieb Volley that the cabinet was painted like an American flag. Pretty neat but I wanted to see if the original art was underneath. I would like to keep it as original as possible. So I’m in the process of using Motsenbocker’s Latex Lifter and it’s doing its job.

So along the way some of the art is pretty good though it’s clear that the wood has planked, etc. but it is the original. But some of it is pretty rough, especially the sides of the head which are heavily planked and all the latex blue paint is in the cracks. Unfortunately the front of the cabinet had the same issue.

Part of me would like to keep the original but another part of says to just do a repaint. From what you see in these pictures, is this acceptable to leave?

83F077E8-F971-41A0-BABF-0065AD8EFD48 (resized).png

B841F127-C0C6-4B38-A258-9558087B3DCA (resized).jpegEB6C1F89-1A46-4A45-A9EE-24B36341485C (resized).jpegB08DED05-7AF6-458B-A1F5-BEC8124E5CCE (resized).jpeg
#2 9 months ago

I'm usually in the "leave it original" camp, but in this case, I'd do a repaint, especially if the rest of the game is nice. It's just too far gone.

#3 9 months ago

Why would someone do this?

I just don't understand...

Repaint.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Why would someone do this?
I just don't understand...
Repaint.

I don’t know either. The pin was on display at a clothing store and after it closed the owner took it home. Other than the exterior, the condition is really clean; playfield is in nice shape (I’m touching up and clearing it), the backglass is 99%, and the guts are very clean.

#5 9 months ago

If anyone was wondering how to remove latex paint here’s a video showing Motsenbocker Latex Paint Remover at work and a picture of the outcome.
The cabinet surface was sprayed and then covered with shop rags and wetted again. It then sat for two hours. Since the rags are still damp, I place them in a ziplock back to be reuse the next day.

B2B02A4C-C983-48BB-BA34-E8271B2E3082 (resized).jpeg
#6 9 months ago

Great job on removing 98% of the exterior red and blue.

Too bad we can't just play the right side -- that view at 6 ft is quite presentable.

Coin door (which we see most) is ragged...

What are you thinking at this point?

-mof

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from wayinla:

If anyone was wondering how to remove latex paint here’s a video showing Motsenbocker Latex Paint Remover at work and a picture of the outcome.
The cabinet surface was sprayed and then covered with shop rags and wetted again. It then sat for two hours. Since the rags are still damp, I place them in a ziplock back to be reuse the next day.
[quoted image]

The right side doesn't look too bad now.

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from mof:

Great job on removing 98% of the exterior red and blue.
Too bad we can't just play the right side -- that view at 6 ft is quite presentable.
Coin door (which we see most) is ragged...
What are you thinking at this point?
-mof

It’s maddening because some sides are ok and some are not. I’m pretty sure I’ll do a complete repaint. I have the Pinball Pimp stencils but I don’t want the hard delineation between colors. Maybe use the stencils but as free floating (not glued down).

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from wayinla:

It’s maddening because some sides are ok and some are not. I’m pretty sure I’ll do a complete repaint. I have the Pinball Pimp stencils but I don’t want the hard delineation between colors. Maybe use the stencils but as free floating (not glued down).

If you want the factory fuzzy edge... take pimp stencils and lay out on poster board, then cut out using box cutter using pimp stencils as the guide. You only need to do this for one side, you can flip over for the opposite side.

Ken

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!