Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-281.jpg
    image-799.jpg
    201414-HS-cleanedout.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I collect 80's pins.

Every time I clean out the bottom of the pin, there's black crud embedded in all the wood.

Is there a solution to this?

I've seen people replace the wood or cabinet when the wood itself isn't strong.

I have a good solid cabinet that just "looks" dirty...

What are my options?

-mof

Here's a cabinet vacuumed out, and wiped down... Still kinda black down there...

201414-HS-cleanedout.jpg201414-HS-cleanedout.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

gut it and sand it...

#3 9 years ago

Lightly sand it to get the surface crap off.

#4 9 years ago

I've heard people sand the inside?
    Edit: Bit late but there's an answer threefold

#6 9 years ago

Sanding is the best solution, or you could try Resolve High Traffic Foam and a stiff bristle brush.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

That was an easy one!
    -mof

sometimes manual labor ends up being the best option, even though i personally try to avoid it at all costs...

edit: do it outside, and wear a mask...

but i think you'll be pleased with the results... just as an example, before and after shots of a mech board from an em that had many years of dirt and carbon dust ground into it...

image-799.jpgimage-799.jpg

image-281.jpgimage-281.jpg

#8 9 years ago

...and paint it black inside.
    No bad small goes again.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I collect 80's pins

Uh, yeah you do! I never clicked on your collection before, awesome selection you have there, I'd love to get so many of those great machines together one day.
    Where do you live in SF that you have room for that many pins?? I visited some friends that have moved out there and space (for price) was really at a premium.

Also, I really need to vacuum my bottoms out so that they look as good as your before pics

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from popeboy:

Uh, yeah you do! I never clicked on your collection before, awesome selection you have there, I'd love to get so many of those great machines together one day.

Also, I really need to vacuum my bottoms out so that they look as good as your before pics

Thank you!

Here's the process I use to clean out a cab:

1) wear a mask (I had crap coming out of my nose for 2 days once)
    2) grab stuff by hand and remove it
    3) magnetic wand under stuff (if applicable), and use a wire brush for all the corners to loosen gunk in hard to reach areas
    4) vacuum the hell out of it (use brush mostly, and the pointy wand thing too)
    5) wipe and re-wipe with 91% and a cotton rag until the rag has no more blackish residue from any surface...

Total time: 30-45 mins.

I'm going to try the Resolve tonight and see if it can pick up more dirt than the scrubbing bubbles already has, I'm not keen on the toilet-cleaner smell (which has already mostly dissipated) -- but the stuff does work.

-mof

#11 9 years ago

I usually just hit it with a hand sander and work around the parts. Then I will use a rag and some Mr Awesome to remove any areas I couldn't sand.

#12 9 years ago

Bleach white. Spray it scrub it wipe it out, repeat ... I have cleaned absolutely crusty gobbed up cab bottoms and had them come out new

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Bleach white. Spray it scrub it wipe it out, repeat ... I have cleaned absolutely crusty gobbed up cab bottoms and had them come out new

I'll give it a shot.
    -mof

#14 9 years ago

it works awesome

#15 9 years ago

get in there with a toothbrush or one of those fine brass brushes with the 45°bristles in the end of it. To get into the corners. clean it with a rag you get the picture. It starts to look like its clean when it starts to dry or when it becomes totally dry if you need to do it a little bit more just do a little bit more.

its a shit ton easier than sanding

#17 9 years ago

Spray. I never tried the foam. I know the spray works though.

#18 9 years ago

Is that water damage toward the front of the cab in your photo? I have a few 80s pins that look similar, and would like to know if that cleans up well. Looking forward to your results!

#19 9 years ago

I use a wire brush and a shopvac . Ed

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Is that water damage toward the front of the cab in your photo? I have a few 80s pins that look similar, and would like to know if that cleans up well. Looking forward to your results!

Bleach White also bleaches our the dark water stains as well

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-floor-how-to-clean-it-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.