Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 380 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-10-07 13.53.43 (resized).jpg
    2017-10-07 13.53.34 (resized).jpg
    tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    new-mock-1 (resized).jpg
    77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4721 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4719 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4718 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6223 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6222 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6218 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6217 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider retrorefurbs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#12 7 years ago

Hey Everyone!

We are here on Pinside but don't post very often, though we do make regular donations to help keep the site running! It's nice to see so many positive comments and I think I can chime in to help clear up a few things...

First off, I realize trust is always an issue with new or overseas suppliers so hopefully I can ease some concerns. We're absolutely committed to delivering a great product and great service. We have high standards for our own restorations so this applies to what we offer you as well. None of the artwork is scanned photocopies.

We are implementing new features and making improvements to the site/buying experience all the time, for example with shipping we have just added a function so that the tracking number and tracking link is automatically passed to you with the "Order Complete" email. If you haven't got a tracking number for your order, just ask!

New artworks are being added every month, and now we are also making our own custom and alternative artwork packages, so even more new stuff arriving all the time. Some recent additions include:

- Street Fighter 2 Black Edition
    - Street Fighter 2 White Edition
    - Tales From The Crypt Red
    - T2 Chrome Edition
    - The Avengers Galaxy Edition
    - Spider Man City Addition

Alternative translites are also on the way.

In regards to decal sizing and overlap - originally we were trimming decals to be exactly the right size (very slightly smaller) so people could just apply them and do less work, but this has proved troublesome as cabinets warp and expand, not everyone has the same size. Now we are adding little extra. Worth noting is that our material is designed to be set with hot air once on your cabinet and if you smooth them out after warming they will expand very slightly, giving you more overlap. Videos for this are in production.

Lastly, we aren't perfect. We make mistakes (occasionally). That's life. The most important thing is how we deal with issues, and its always as quickly and professionally as possible. Replacements or refunds are necessary sometimes. If you ever have any problems, concerns or questions then I'm only a call or email away - usually best to email though and it means we have a record of conversations.

Your feedback is important and I will personally consider every comment and suggestion made to us. Happy to see people sharing their experiences with us here!

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

P.S. Mbecker, I replied to your email please check. WPC backbox had to be sent in a separate tube.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryphun:

Pete,
    Do you have any plans to reproduce the generic Bally Midway (6803) cabinet designs?
    Thanks.

We already have them in some colors. Drop me an email with which color/game you're looking for and I'll see if I can help you.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Pete do you have any more information on setting the decals?
    My experience repairing cabinets is primarily on the Arcade side of things. I redone several cabinets with decals both printed and silk screened. All of those decals used a very good (high-end?) 3M paper/vinyl so they are a little different than the material your supplier uses.
    Before I post a review, I'd be curious to know more about heat setting the decals. Mine don't seem to have any problem adhering, but still curious.
    Cheers!

You don't have to set them with a hot air gun, they will adhere just fine without but the material is designed for vehicle wraps so can be manipulated with heat, creases and wrinkles can be eliminated, and also the adhesive becomes a bit more tacky which once cool will have bonded to the surface a bit better

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from rdbronko73:

Ordered 2 sets of TAF and WWH2O. All the edges are curled and have waves on all of them due to the shipping. They either were not shipped with end caps on the tubes or the end caps fell off during shipping.

Sorry to hear about this. That's either caused by bad shipping handling, or more commonly, customs ripping the end caps and packing off. No problem however, just apply warmth from either a hot air gun or hair dryer on high heat setting. Wrinkles, creases, and curls will magically disappear. No issues at all.

Sometimes in the past this has been a concern for people, and they find it hard to believe how easily creases disappear, which is why im having to shoot some videos to show how it works.

Quoted from robotron911:

Sorry if this has been covered. Is this vendor the same as HassanChop? He did cab art and was in Europe, but I thought Portugal.

No association or affiliation with us whatsoever, but he does do top notch work and is very nice fellow!

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Pete, I am a professional graphic installer by trade and have done hundreds of full vehicle wraps in my 27 years in the business. Curious as too what exact material you are printing on that has the air agress ?

Orafol Orajet. Apparently it's even used on Aircraft, you can read more here if interested: http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/frontpage

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

2 weeks later
    #40 7 years ago

In case of any further doubts, someone posted a nice photo of their LAH machine with new decals here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retro-refurb-cab-decals-anybody-use-them#post-3581048

And another great review for us here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retro-refurbs

3 weeks later
    #51 7 years ago

I would not recommend applying our decals with a squeegee, the drag is too harsh on the surface. Only a soft cloth like a microfibre towel is needed to smooth them out or a good tool to use is a lino brayer (hard rubber roller).

Did he apply them with a hot air gun? If not, you can go back over them with hot air to remove any fine scratches and also help set the adhesive permanently.

Any problems with artwork sizing or mismatch, please email me with the details so we can correct it.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm interested in Mousin Around decals. It's difficult to see if the colors are correct and the dithering (dots) are there.
    Has anyone purchased these and can comment?
    Thanks!
    Kerry

This might help:

31239376542_a22606c37b_k (resized).jpg31239376542_a22606c37b_k (resized).jpg

Also, on our Facebook page we shared a post from someone who completed their cabinet with our decals:

16797489_617201318481305_7581717948303537269_o (resized).jpg16797489_617201318481305_7581717948303537269_o (resized).jpg

You can see that and more at https://www.facebook.com/RetroRefurbsUK/

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

So any thips on applying these decals, I see a roller and microcloth. What is the best way to go.
    Retrorefurbs do you have an instruction video?

I've nearly finished making a video showing us taking decals and scrunching them up into a little ball, stamping on them, and then unfolding and applying them perfectly without any marks.

This should help anyone crying over little wrinkles, and how to apply them with just a cloth and heat gun.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from grumpy712:

I've ordered three sets now. Pretty decent product only had a problem with lines going through one of them.(still waiting for an email to resolve) but what a sh**** attitude about making a video for people who don't know these things.

Hi! Just working through the backlog of emails from the weekend and will reply to you shortly. Your coin door with the line through it will be replaced, no issue.

My comment about the video was just a bit of light hearted humour. It's not about showing people how to apply decals, it's about showing how amazing our material is when you scrunch it up and totally screw with it.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#70 7 years ago

RetroRefurbs... Thanks for the picts of Mousin Around.
    It appears there is some shading-dithering in yellow (the orange shading). The blue looks lighter than the deep blues on MA. Are they deep blue or is the pict off?
    Thanks
    Kerry

Might be the pic that is off. I think the blue is pretty good. Here's a photo I took with my own camera under natural daylight:

31347131146_a6a9a874f8_k (resized).jpg31347131146_a6a9a874f8_k (resized).jpg

To be honest, no decal replacement is ever going to be 100% perfect no matter who you get them from, or how they're made. Original is always best so if you can save your cabinet's existing artwork either by touch up or just living with it as is, then that would be my recommendation.

That's only my personal opinion however. For me a game which plays 100% perfect with a nice playfield is worth more than a nice cabinet.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

Says the guy that sells cabinet decals for a business .

Haha yes, because I'm honest, and no one is getting rich off this stuff so lets just do the best we can for people.

Unlike this idiot and his "gang".....

Quoted from Ballypinball:

They look crap, no screen gradient dots, screw them up in a ball and toss them in the bin, is what we did with a customers machine and fitted next gen.

As we spoke in the other topic, YOU are a liar. You've never had our decals. You bought some crap ones from a guy in Italy. My materials are FAR suprior to your "NextGen" rubbish. It's total gash. Let me tell you why - the last time I had your NextGen crap my customer returned his RFM and told me to take them off.

For starters the print resolution of NextGen was awful, the material was total crap, too thick and threw up bubbles everywhere. It was completely inflexible and couldn't be manipulated. It is the cheapest vinyl I've ever seen and appears to be unbranded. On top of this it seems the makers of this "NextGen" rubbish have no understanding of how to print black, the black was terrible. Full of colored dots, not a solid color.

Finally the texture was the worst offender. Matt!! Pinball2000 games came with glossy decals from the factory, and the correct coin door decal wasn't supplied either.

I have photos to prove all of the above if you want to challenge me, and I'm not even going to mention the price issue.

Why don't we put your decals up next to mine sometime and compare like for like on video for everyone to see how full of crap you, Rick and everyone else in your little gang of NextGen con artists really are.

But, I'm not bitter. Unlike you. At least people now have a choice as to what to put on their beloved games. Choice is everything.

You want half tone dots? Here's some half tone dots!!

WD (resized).jpgWD (resized).jpg

Suck on that for a while.

Digest it.

Then take a laxative. Seems you need one already.

Quoted from grumpy712:

I think that Pete's decals are very close to the originals if not better on some. I purchased a set of genuine decals (not going to say from who) that were next-gen with the gold authentic sticker and I ended up using them for end tables so in my opinion genuine reproductions are not always the best. That's Just my opinion

Thank you! Trying to make improvements where possible, but we can't please everyone.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

Anyone know if they or anyone else makes Cabinet Decals for Simpsons Pinball Party?

Yes sir, we have them here: -link removed-

Note, our TSPP decals are full resolution with solid colors. They are not the low resoltuion CMYK halftone that Stern originally printed at. Most people seem to prefer our version.

Again, just being honest with people here.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#84 7 years ago

Well my business doesn't rely on decals, next gen vinyl is the most expensive available, you need a belt sander to get it off, Williams used it on original cabinets, bubbles rub out of it, unlike PVC coated vinyl, next gen is the printing method, the vinyl is pressure sensitive cast vinyl, its the same stuff Williams screen printed onto, the same stuff phoenix arcade used, so rubbish darins stuff and Williams while you are at it.
    The difference is next gen is uv stable, you say I haven't seen you stuff is rubbish, many here have asked us to fit it.
    I don't own the rights anymore, but if I did I would put a call into the owners of Williams and demand they do something about you.
    You are profiting from IP that you don't own, you should send money to the holder of the license not buy new cars etc.
    Go open a hamburger shop and sell a bigmac, see how long you last.
    As I said I don't care what you do, I am still making my honest opinion, like others have.
    Some people like chev cars and some say they are rubbish, turn up at expo in Chicago with your stuff and see what happens..

Blah blah blah. No one cares.

Funny how you've only ever got a bee in your bonnet about Bally Williams stuff. What about Data East, Stern, Sega, Gottlieb and all the others?

What about Pinside? You wanna shut down 99% of the mods and replacement parts people are selling on here?

The amount of sheer nonsense that comes out of your mouth is something I find hilarious, but every time you and your buddies create a fuss over it, it draws more attention to Retro Refurbs which gives us a nice little boost in sales. That in turn means I can pay my designers to develop more stuff people need.

Thank you. I'll raise a glass to you my friend.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

retrorefurbs Pete could you tell me do you know anything about these decals?
    http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/goldeneye/6433/cabinet-decal-set-for-goldeneye?c=2221#description
    If possible could you give me details of any differences you may know or a reason why your versions might be better quality? Just wanted to ask before grabbing a set off your site. Thanks

Difficult to say without seeing them in person but I know Pinball Center don't use the same material as we do, as a customer recently sent me a set of their TMNT to put on his game. While they're not particularly bad I do believe our material is better as we selected it for it's ability to be minuplated, forgiveness, and adhesion strength. It's an industrial grade wrapping material primarily used on vehicles and even aircraft, which obviously undergoes harsh conditions.

So next time you see a plane wrapped in British Airways (or other) branding, you know it's the same stuff

Based on the screen shot preview though, I would say the colours look a little dull and perhaps the red is too dark. Maybe these are scans? Ours are completely redrawn from scratch by an artish. Look at our preview in comparison.

Other than that the only obvious thing I see is that Pinball Center are out of stock and even if they were available are approximately £30 pounds more expensive than ours (before shipping).

#90 7 years ago

Pete RetroRefurbs...
    I have purchased many decals with 1/2" to 1" overlap before. That is actually my preference, doing cabinet decaling.
    Do your decals (specifically MA) have that overlap?
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Our decals have a small amount of overlap, a bit less than 1/2", but we generally keep it tight so they can be aligned better on the cabinet.

When applied with heat and smoothed out they will expand a small amount too.

Remember as well that decals should be trimmed back slightly shorter and not go right to the edge of cabinet so they don't catch. Not that ours are easy to peel once fully cured but this does help keep them in better condition. The original cabinets were trimmed that way.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

1 week later
    #95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

Pete,
    About to order a few sets of decals. Have you posted the video yet on applying them with a heat gun? Want to look at that before I order. Keep up the good work and keep producing decals for additional games. It's badly needed!
    Thanks!
    Craig

Should be up by the weekend. It only shows how to remove creases.

Quoted from Lermods:

Any chance you guys might do a few translites? I would be interested in an ij93 translite.

We already do, quality is outstanding with our new process: -link removed-

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Just ordered a set for this poor Johnny...I will report back when they are installed

I need to drop you an email about that order. Will be touch.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#98 7 years ago

Yeah I would say average is 2 weeks

#100 7 years ago

Don't worry about that in the slightest. Here's what's possible:

IMG_9723 (resized).JPGIMG_9723 (resized).JPG

#104 7 years ago

Video editing is a bitch, especially when you lot keep making orders to keep me busy all the time haha!

Meanwhile, here are a few screen grabs:

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #127 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

That's really pretty depressing. What does that say for the long term reliability of the ink on these decals?
    Are you planning on Clear Coating the cabinet?

Long term reliability of the ink is exceptional. Remember our decals are laminated, it's the lamination which is being scratched, and even this is more resistant than clear coat.

Light scratches however are easily removed with heat, just like creases.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

3 months later
    #150 6 years ago
    Quoted from TMU:

I ordered decals for my Radical! and have to say was not pleased with the quality of the product. Radical has a bright neon pinky red, the decals were way off, with a dark blood red tone instead. Might work better with more conventional colors, but beware if you're getting decals to a machine that has flashy colors.

Why didn't you contact me about this? If the decal colors are off by a lot we can make adjustments.

The problem is that given the age of the games no one truly knows what "original" colors are any more, we can only go off the best examples possible.

It sounds like you may be comparing the new ones with a faded cabinet though?

Here's an original cabinet:
    image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg

Here's some decals:
    raddecal (resized).jpgraddecal (resized).jpg

The red is slightly deeper on the new ones, but agian we don't know how faded the cabinet is. I'd say it's not off by much, certainly not like some of the NextGen decals we see with vastly different colors.

Drop me an email please and we'll see about getting a better match for you, if you really feel they're not right at all.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#152 6 years ago

Hmm. Yours looks different again.

Seems to be a lot of variation on this one, which is not uncommon. White Water has about 10 shades of blue across different batches.

The flyer for Radical:
    1904f1 (resized).jpg1904f1 (resized).jpg

#154 6 years ago

They are garbage, you can't print Fluro colours with a cmyk printer

Actually yes you can, it's called a Spot Color. Fluro as well as metallics can be printed. Google it then maybe you'll learn a thing or two about printing since you can't even print the right colors on any of your decals, nevermind fluro, and if you can do better then start making Radical? Ok?

Otherwise I think it's generally accepted that your decals are garbage, as testified by many people.

Anyone considering buying decals from this guy ^^ or his associates should come to us first and we'll do you a better deal, with better quality decals.

For anyone having troubles with Radical, please drop me an email about returning them for a refund or exchange.

#156 6 years ago

It really does show how desperate you are when all you do is spend your time stalking my online presence across multiple sites to try and discredit our decals with lies. You should really find something better to do with your time.

Every time you draw attention to our business, sales go up! I should be thanking you.

Oh and by the way, according to the vinyl manufacturer's specs, the material is guaranteed for 7 years with life expectancy much higher. I mean it would have to be since this stuff is intended for external application on aircraft, right? Overkill for a wooden pinball cabinet.

They would have to be, given they're one of the worlds leading brands.

Like you say, people will decide for themselves who to trust and what to buy. We're doing great, thank you.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Ballypinball is right with the colors. There is no way to make fluoroscent colors with an inkprinter. Therefor the BBB decals will not nearly look like the original in UV Light. Same for other colors.
    I prefer licenced becaus they are mostly much better quality than inkprint. The glossy is also not my thing on my machines except if there are no licenced. But robotron is right .. there is also a lot of bad stuff with licence on the road. Licenced means not automatically better quality. Everyone has to decise what to buy for his budget. In eastern europe there are also shops cheaper than the guy from GB for inkprinted decals.
    What I dislike .. try to get silkscreened IJ decals. There is only a resource in Australia and a set is around 500 dollar or so. Why ? Is there no way to make a new run of licenced good decals ?
    For BBB I bought 10 year old NOS decals for hell lot of money ... but the glow in blacklight. Maybe for a VPIN project the repros are also fine.
    Why I have my problems with retrorefurbs: A german guy I know made BoP 2.0 decals from the scratch. He did not steal the original design, he gave the files for free to others who asked for it. Non profit ... but now you can also buy them in GB.
    However .. everyone has to decide for himself and his wallet WHAT to purchase. I prefer buying , if avaiable, second Gen. screen print. I have no problem with paying some more. Other hand, not all titles are available and some titles became rising prices ... due to not in stock regularly ... why do they not just print an other 100 pieces ..
    eabundy: Sure ... the repros have thicker foil, easier to bring on and need not such good preparing work on the cabinet. The "art" is to prepare cabinet and backbox that you can bring on perfectly the thin licenced silkscreened decals. If you like the shiny look .. go with the repros ...
    my 5 cent ..

Good post with good points. Just a few small points I will add:

- Fluro and metallics can be done with ink, using spot colors.

- The guy who made BOP 2.0 art gave us permission to use it. This is a non issue. I have the emails to back this up if need be.

- Not all our decals are glossy, for Stern games we use a Satin finish to get a much closer look of the original. We also do this for games which were originally stencilled. Yes I know, people will say they should be stencilled and not decalled, but we make them available for people who prefer to use them rather than paint. The choice is entirely up to the customer.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from TMU:

Thanks Pete, I'll be in contact. I didn't find any info on reclamations on your site..
    About the red color on Radical!, my cabinet is faded on one side, but there's also a small piece of artwork on one beam inside the cab, which most definitely isn't faded, and it matches the nonfaded side. I can scan it with a colormeter for you. I can also take a pic comparing the decal and the cab side by side once I get back home later this week.
    You shouldn't judge the color based on a scanned flyer, I can find two totally different looking scans on google, which is due to varying color processing on the images.
    If you can replicate the color with a spot color, great, I'm guessing it wasn't the case with this decal however? It looks dull compared to the bright red on the cab.
    I really wasn't expecting a 100% match, and the quality of the print is otherwise fine, but as it is, I'll rather tolerate the faded side than go through the trouble of installing the decals.

No problem at all. Just drop me a message and we'll get this sorted out.

I do appreciate constructive feedback.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Pete, I've been trying to reach you in the last few days... sent you a couple of PM's and e-mails... please reply.

I've got your email about the plastics, just haven't checked over the files you sent yet. Will do that now.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What's with the crazy vendetta ? Is there some Decals War going on im not aware of?

Pretty much.

It's Wayne Gillard from Mr Pinball Australia. He's in bed with Rick and PPS, and therefore despises me because I make better decals than they do. Plus I don't charge $600 for Indiana Jones like he does.

They don't give a damn about anything else in pinball other than Bally Willaims.

#169 6 years ago

Back to the subject of Radical, I found some images of a very nice original game posted on the Arcade Museum forums back in 2014, long before we made our Radical decals.

Here you can see the reds in the skateboard, and how the same color used around the Bally logo has faded to that neon pinky colour.

I'm not disputing that we may have got the reds slightly wrong, but just wanted to point out that it's not supposed to be orange/pinky.

RadicalRightBack_zps6ee4520c (resized).jpgRadicalRightBack_zps6ee4520c (resized).jpgRadicalLeftSide_zps8d47ca49 (resized).jpgRadicalLeftSide_zps8d47ca49 (resized).jpg

#178 6 years ago

Haha! That really made laugh.

You're bang on point with it though, especially this:

Quoted from Groucho:

There's a lot of ungrateful bastards on here!
    Three options...
    1. Be grateful that someone is reproducing the decals that YOU need. Buy them with gratitude and be thankful that they have been recreated. That they have taken the time and care to do the best they can to deliver YOU a quality product as close to the original as possible. One pixel out, one shade off or slightly larger.... Whatever. Question......(generalization) if you didn't buy these Radical decals from retro refurbs where would you have bought them from ? Are any available elsewhere ?
    2. re create, re draw the decals and get them printed yourself. That way you have no one else to blame or heckle at.
    3. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DON'T BUY THEM IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH THEM ! do us a favour and leave your pinball in the state its in.
    I'd personally prefer that you whingers do the latter. Make life better for the lot of us.

Just had this very conversation the other day with my colleague about our Rocky & Bullwinkle plastic set. Never been made before, a lot of people needed them, I feel we did an outstanding job. Had 1 person from the UK who thanked us and expressed his gratitude for our work. Not a peep from anyone else. They took the plastics and ran away. Hardly any feedback left on the forums.

Got a ton of criticism for not making the 3 backbox plastics in the set (already available elsewhere and no one needs them), packaging wasn't good enough (although none arrived damaged), a small piece of text on piece hidden at the back of the playfield wasn't quite thick enough.

These were done by one of the top graphic artists who's been working in pinball for years. When I look at other reproductions of plastic sets, I thought we were far more accurate than anyone else.

But that's just the way it goes in this hobby, people will always find something to moan about.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

If you want a legit review, I'd be more than happy to review them fairly. They were great and filled a need. I'll do a proper write up later.
    Your sales should be thanks in its own, if it sells well, that means you did a good job.

Thank you. Yes I did take as no complaints on Pinside means we did a good job lol!

All R&B plastics are sold out right now so until the next batch we'll leave those out.

Got some other new plastic sets coming out soon, perhaps you could review one of those

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

So why not pay for the license so that no one can complain about you under cutting decal makers that do pay for licensing?

Because it's a very complex area, for things which are 30+ years old and often involve multiple parties as is the case for Indiana Jones.

There is a lot of pinball stuff which can never, ever, be reproduced "officially" because of these complexities.

If it was so easy, fully licensed product would be available in abundance.

Also we are dealing with a tiny, tiny percentage of the population who are keeping these games at home in a private collection. They are not commercial machines any more. If licensing becomes an issue for these home owners who only want to keep their prized possessions looking nice, then I'll quite happily step aside and disappear, but good luck finding replacement artwork for most of the games we've done.

Nobody else in the entire world has replacement artwork for as many games as we do.

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Let talk specifics. Why not license Indiana Jones. Some one else clearly did, what's stopping you?

When you get a license for the Street Fighter stuff you make and sell, maybe I'll get one for Indiana Jones. Ok?

#190 6 years ago
    Quoted from TMU:

And Pete, that example of Radical seems about right, it's just that the decals are way off.. I'll post the pic first thing I get back home this weekend.

Yes I know. If you can drop me an email asap please so we can organise a return and refund for you that would be great.

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

You're kind of proving my point though. He isn't licensing *any* of the art he sells, and tons of it isn't licensed by any other printers. Ask him why he doesnt license and instead of a direct answer you get this:

That reads to me "I dont license because I dont want to/dont know how to/dont want to spend the money , and I sell it anyway."
    He then defends printing stuff he didnt license by saying he does it better and cheaper than those who did license it. Its obviously going to be cheaper if you dont actually pay the licensing to sell it legally.

I have literally never made and sold a SINGLE Street Fighter II related thing. Just like you, I don't actually print anything, difference is I don't make any money when someone else prints it. The art files you stole from me were released for public download after the fact, and the pin2dmd colorization files were released form the start just like the Terminator 2 files I just finished.
    And defend stealing from me because I used a file from the internet as a base, cause that totaly justifies the theft

You sell that translite on Pinside through another member. You've got posts in the Street Fighter topic directing people who to message to get one.

I cannot "steal" artwork from you when it was already available from a DeviantArt user whom you gave no credit to. The full image is available to download!

And, after the fuss you made over it, it was me who gave the artwork away for free first, not you. Pointless telling lies to people here when they can go directly to the topic and check for themselves. Truth will always win.

Anyway, you will be happy: https://www.retrorefurbs.com

Time to take a break from pinball I think, I got plenty of other things going on.

To everyone else, all outstanding orders will be sent.

For anyone needing returns/refunds just email me direct to arrange those.

Peace.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

1 month later
    #284 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Junk yard decals installed. Seemed great quality to me - bright colors. Got a number of air pockets but that was totally my fault trying to do it alone. Lino-roller worked pretty well for application.

Did you do this wet or dry?

Either way you can work those air pockets out with a heat gun. I'd recommend going over the whole thing with some heat tbh.

#289 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Welcome back my friend !!!!

Thank you!

Quoted from Lermods:

Any plans to do transformers LE? They are notorious for bubbling around the legs.

It's on the to do list. We're slowing down on the development of new cabinet decals now since we have over 200 and want to focus attention on other projects. We'll be adding more custom cabinet artworks, like Elvis we've just done:

new-mock-1 (resized).jpgnew-mock-1 (resized).jpg

But our next major project is SideBladesâ„¢ and these are being added to the site over the next few days. We have around 50 so far, made on anti-scuff material and contour cut to the cabinet shape:

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
    tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpgtron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpg

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#291 6 years ago

They're long gone, done and dusted. We might do a different set later in the future but these ones are set in stone now.

But you can see what these look like installed in the game by viewing the photo gallery on this page: https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades/

I think they look great installed.

#299 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Those do look amazing!
    Same material as the side-art? How should it hold up to playfield scraping, etc.? Any testing done you can share?

No, we're making these on special anti-scratch material that is designed for harsh environments and wear. I believe we're unique in the "inside cabinet art" industry (lol) with this.

It's a lot thicker than standard vinyl but still slightly thinner than mirror blades so you get a nice even surface with no woodgrain showing through and it still leaves a little bit of playfield wiggle room.

I say they are scratch resistant but like anything they are not bullet proof, so if people still wish to take extra precautions that's fine with us

I'll make a separate topic on these SideBlades once we're ready to release all designs for sale.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#302 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Any for Avatar, Ironman, walking dead, Star Trek LE, POTC, TSPP, AP

Yes, we've got/are doing those

Quoted from Mancave:

Fair enough but i'd be really keen on side art decals for the Monopoly machine doubt i would be the only one

I know there's still plenty of games people need, and we'll get them all eventually, but we made 120+ sets of cabinet decals in 1 year - that's approximately 1 every 3 days, and these things take a loooonnng time to make. Many man hours are spent making each set and we need a break.

#308 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Retro refurbs have you ever thought of doing plastic sets? Some like Dr who and terminator 2 are impossible to find.

We do make plastic sets, look on the website

Feedback from customers have said they are better than original in most cases so we've been making other sets.

A full set of Terminator 2 will be released at the end of this month. Doctor Who is being worked on.

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from wcbu64:

Hey Pete, how about Gilligan's Island plastics sets? NOS sets are nearly impossible to find. Pinball Center in Germany has recently offered some reproductions, but they do not ship to the U.S. Apron decals would be good too. You should be able to use that restored GI of yours as a template.

Yes we're doing a full set of Giligans. I've had repro plastics from Pinball Center and wasn't overly happy with the quality of them so this is on the list. The Giligans we've got is sitting in storage awaiting restoration, and there's a whole load of things we need to make for it.

Yes. Busy working out a couple of issues on this one, but we'll get there.

1 week later
    #321 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Does anyone have any info on how to clean these without damaging the art?

The ink won't rub off because there is a layer of laminate over the top. You can use pretty much anything that doesn't contain harsh chemicals - i.e. if you don't trust putting it on your face then don't use it on your decals.

Microfiber towels are your best friend for all pinball cleaning. Soapy sprays, warm water, but best of all is Pledge. Use it on everything, especially your playfield glass

#323 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Can you make Batman forever apron decals?

Yes

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

What about cabinet decals for Mystery Castle from Alvin G?

We'll make them one day, maybe, but it's a super rare game. Only 500 made.

Getting hold of one to reproduce the artwork and match colors will be extremely difficult.

2 weeks later
    #331 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Isnt there a video on how to install these decals and how to heat them with a gun to remove wrinkles?

We have a private video we can share with you. PM me for info.

#334 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Why is it private?

To keep nosy people out.

...and because it's a shorter clip of a full length video which isn't finished yet, not ready for public release.

It's currently only available for customers to help with their decals. Just PM me your order number and I'll send it over.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider retrorefurbs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-decals-from-retro-refurbs?tu=retrorefurbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.