Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 380 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-10-07 13.53.43 (resized).jpg
    2017-10-07 13.53.34 (resized).jpg
    tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    new-mock-1 (resized).jpg
    77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4721 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4719 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4718 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6223 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6222 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6218 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6217 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bos98.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#10 7 years ago

I just got a set of IJ decals from them. Have not installed them but they looked pretty good to me and the price was just right including shipping.

2 months later
    #116 7 years ago

Anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area want to help me redecal my IJ? I have my RetroRefurb decals ready but the cabinet needs prepping which means hauling it up to my garage.

I have completely torn it down and rebuilt everything on the playfield and it is perfect everywhere except for the cabinet and I am weighing the pros and cons of taking a working game down to do this procedure which will take weeks of prep and application to do it properly.

IMG_1560 (resized).JPGIMG_1560 (resized).JPG

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

Ever consider a replacement cabinet? Send them your decals and they will install them for you ! A lot less work to transfer everything over than prep your existing cabinet .

Also a lot more money!

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Actually, no. I'd charge more to do a complete cabinet restoration than it would cost to get a painted and decaled new cabinet. But the restoration might be just a little bit nicer.

I am looking for more guidance than finding someone to do it for me. I want to gain a skill. Teach a man to fish type deal. I have read a bunch of threads on the subject but getting some actual help would be beneficial as I rather not botch the job. Once I get either this or my Getaway cabinet redone I will tackle my Fish Tales cabinet and also do a playfield swap with the CPR and new ramps I have on hand.

#122 7 years ago

That is why I keep coming back to "you don't play the cabinet..."

3 months later
    #267 6 years ago

Just getting started on prep. Decals have been in a tube for months now.

I was hoping to watch someone else do an install video for these before I jumped.

This is where my IJ started.

IMG_4710 (resized).JPGIMG_4710 (resized).JPG

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

How's it smell in the basement when doing the heat gun work. I'd be worried about any noxious fumes and the family.

No one was home and it wasn’t too bad but it sucked from a process perspective so I stopped and am bringing the cabinet up to the garage to sand it off with a new Bosch sander that is arriving tomorrow.

While it isn’t a Festool it was nearly $300 and from what I have read it should do the job nicely hooked up to my shop vacuum.

1 week later
    #274 6 years ago

I finally spent a few days stripping my Indiana Jones and preparing the cabinet for the Retro Refurbs decals. Everything went well for this first timer.

I used a Bosch 1250DEVS sander with 60 grit paper to strip the old decals. I repaired the cabinet with wood epoxy and sanded again. I painted with Rustoleum 2x black satin rattle cans. Sanded again. Sprayed some more. Sanded again with 500 and then wiped the cabinet down.

I applied the decals dry by myself using painters tape to secure them to the cabinet and went with the hinge method when applying.

The decals went on easily.

The decals look great. My only complaint is that no matter how much fiddling I tried there was no way to align the sides to the top of the cabinet front. They are off ever so slightly and it isn’t due to my inability to line things up. I believe the graphics on either the front or the sides to be slightly out of scale with each other. Don’t get me wrong, for the price and the quality of the actual print and ease of application I am giving this a 10/10.

If however you are an anal retentive type these may not be the decals for you.

Overall I am thrilled with the result and can’t wait to get my metal back from being brassed up to get this all back together.

I will certainly order in the future for my next project, Fish Tales!!!

IMG_1559 (resized).JPGIMG_1559 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5027 (resized).JPGIMG_5027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5035 (resized).JPGIMG_5035 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5036 (resized).JPGIMG_5036 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5040 (resized).JPGIMG_5040 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5042 (resized).JPGIMG_5042 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #286 6 years ago

I applied mine solo dry using the hinge method outside in the sun. Not a single air bubble. Amazing product at an amazing price!

If I can muster up the money I may do Fish Tales next.

77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
    #329 6 years ago

I too am getting ready to do a Fish Tales. Ordering soon.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bos98.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-decals-from-retro-refurbs?tu=bos98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.