Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 380 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-10-07 13.53.43 (resized).jpg
    2017-10-07 13.53.34 (resized).jpg
    tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    new-mock-1 (resized).jpg
    77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4721 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4719 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4718 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6223 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6222 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6218 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6217 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 6 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

We're slowing down on the development of new cabinet decals now since we have over 200 and want to focus attention on other projects

Fair enough but i'd be really keen on side art decals for the Monopoly machine doubt i would be the only one

#302 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Any for Avatar, Ironman, walking dead, Star Trek LE, POTC, TSPP, AP

Yes, we've got/are doing those

Quoted from Mancave:

Fair enough but i'd be really keen on side art decals for the Monopoly machine doubt i would be the only one

I know there's still plenty of games people need, and we'll get them all eventually, but we made 120+ sets of cabinet decals in 1 year - that's approximately 1 every 3 days, and these things take a loooonnng time to make. Many man hours are spent making each set and we need a break.

#303 6 years ago

Just ordered the Phantom decals, do you suggest using button protectors? Those Mylar sheets that go around the buttons?

#304 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Any plans to do transformers LE? They are notorious for bubbling around the legs.

Talk to Stern, They sent out a complete replacement set for mine. Took awhile while they switched vendors, they also sent out the leg spacers to eliminate the wrinkling problem.

#305 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Just ordered the Phantom decals, do you suggest using button protectors? Those Mylar sheets that go around the buttons?

Hey JB have you tried using screen gaurds like the ones on laptops peel on peel off they work a treat cost FA

#306 6 years ago

Retro refurbs have you ever thought of doing plastic sets? Some like Dr who and terminator 2 are impossible to find.

#307 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Retro refurbs have you ever thought of doing plastic sets? Some like Dr who and terminator 2 are impossible to find.

You need to ask Pinsider Outsidedge, his company is making new Jack Bot plastics as I speak.

#308 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

We do make plastic sets, look on the website

Feedback from customers have said they are better than original in most cases so we've been making other sets.

A full set of Terminator 2 will be released at the end of this month. Doctor Who is being worked on.

#309 6 years ago

Hey Pete, how about Gilligan's Island plastics sets? NOS sets are nearly impossible to find. Pinball Center in Germany has recently offered some reproductions, but they do not ship to the U.S. Apron decals would be good too. You should be able to use that restored GI of yours as a template.

#310 6 years ago

We do make plastic sets, look on the website
    Feedback from customers have said they are better than original in most cases so we've been making other sets.
    A full set of Terminator 2 will be released at the end of this month. Doctor Who is being worked on.

T2 Chrome Edition?

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from wcbu64:

Hey Pete, how about Gilligan's Island plastics sets? NOS sets are nearly impossible to find. Pinball Center in Germany has recently offered some reproductions, but they do not ship to the U.S. Apron decals would be good too. You should be able to use that restored GI of yours as a template.

Yes we're doing a full set of Giligans. I've had repro plastics from Pinball Center and wasn't overly happy with the quality of them so this is on the list. The Giligans we've got is sitting in storage awaiting restoration, and there's a whole load of things we need to make for it.

Yes. Busy working out a couple of issues on this one, but we'll get there.

#312 6 years ago

Great to hear . . . I already purchased your cabinet decals and getting ready to do a restoration as well.

1 week later
    #313 6 years ago

How smooth does the finish on the cab have to be to get these to adhere properly?

#314 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

How smooth does the finish on the cab have to be to get these to adhere properly?

I'm sure these will stick to any reasonably smooth surface, but you won't be happy with it - every imperfection will come through. You need to sand so it feels completely smooth, then a high grit sandpaper (800-1000) just to give it a tiny bit of teeth, then apply

#315 6 years ago

How about making a full plastics set for Johnny Mnemonic? I could use one, along with lots of other JM owners.

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

There are a number of threads in this. cosmokramer had a "quick and dirty" thread that show a faster approach that still seems to have given good results.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retro-refurb-decal-installationjohnny-needs-a-new-suit#post-3785948

If you want perfection, check out Bryan Kelly's IJ restoration thread for a look at high-end cabinet decal prep and install (spoiler: tons of work, looks amazing at the end).
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

Really just depends what your goal is.

#317 6 years ago

Any chance that Retro Refurbs can release a set of cabinet decals for Alvin.G Mystery Castle?

#318 6 years ago

I sanded to 600, surface doesn't show thru at all, looks great. I really think 400 would have been fine honestly though.

#319 6 years ago

Does anyone have any info on how to clean these without damaging the art?

#320 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Pete will post about it - I remember him saying they are pretty sturdy

#321 6 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

The ink won't rub off because there is a layer of laminate over the top. You can use pretty much anything that doesn't contain harsh chemicals - i.e. if you don't trust putting it on your face then don't use it on your decals.

Microfiber towels are your best friend for all pinball cleaning. Soapy sprays, warm water, but best of all is Pledge. Use it on everything, especially your playfield glass

#322 6 years ago

Can you make Batman forever apron decals?

#323 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Can you make Batman forever apron decals?

Yes

#324 6 years ago

What about cabinet decals for Mystery Castle from Alvin G?

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

What about cabinet decals for Mystery Castle from Alvin G?

We'll make them one day, maybe, but it's a super rare game. Only 500 made.

Getting hold of one to reproduce the artwork and match colors will be extremely difficult.

2 weeks later
    #326 6 years ago

Just ordered another set from Pete today...Fish Tales this time..I will report back when I get them installed.

#327 6 years ago

We'll make them one day, maybe, but it's a super rare game. Only 500 made.
    Getting hold of one to reproduce the artwork and match colors will be extremely difficult.

I own this game obviously and will help you however I can.

#328 6 years ago

I bought Fishtales decals from Pete. Not applied them yet. But they look great. Send me pics on completion of your FT.

#329 6 years ago

I too am getting ready to do a Fish Tales. Ordering soon.

#330 6 years ago

Isnt there a video on how to install these decals and how to heat them with a gun to remove wrinkles?

#331 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Isnt there a video on how to install these decals and how to heat them with a gun to remove wrinkles?

We have a private video we can share with you. PM me for info.

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

They are all flat surfaces. Take your time and there will be no wrinkles.

#333 6 years ago

We have a private video we can share with you. PM me for info.

Why is it private?

#334 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Why is it private?

To keep nosy people out.

...and because it's a shorter clip of a full length video which isn't finished yet, not ready for public release.

It's currently only available for customers to help with their decals. Just PM me your order number and I'll send it over.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#335 6 years ago

I purchased 3 of your decals... I would like to see the video as well. You mentioned it was going to be available a couple months back.

#336 6 years ago

Just came to ask a question about some decals and noticed Pete's account is frozen!? What happened?

#337 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Just came to ask a question about some decals and noticed Pete's account is frozen!? What happened?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-3d-translite

#339 6 years ago

And when did Pinside become the protector of patents or copyrights? Slippery slope here.

#340 6 years ago

Anyway, got my LOTR cabinet decals the other day from Pete. Got half of the cab done so far and I'm very pleased with the quality.

#341 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

And when did Pinside become the protector of patents or copyrights? Slippery slope here.

Well, we try our best to remain neutral and interfere as little as possible in the thousands of posts made to Pinside every day. We certainly don't view ourselves as "protectors of copyrights and patents" (for starters, we are not qualified to do so but we also have way too much other stuff to do to keep this site running smoothly).

So we always urge license holders to work things out with the "infringer" directly, preferably via PM. And this often works out fine and is often quicker and more effective than through us.

But sometimes it doesn't work and then we receive takedown notices, which we can not ignore. Because although Pinside does not have to follow American laws, we have similar laws in Europe. If you are not aware how a notice and takedown works, check out Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notice_and_take_down (the first paragraphs kind of says it all).

Besides all that, when someone is blatantly selling copied artwork on a large scale, apparently without compensating the artists and/or rights owners... Well, that also rubs us the wrong way morally.

Quoted from J85M:

After continuous claims of copyright infringement and pressure from IP holders, we had to act. RetroRefurbs have been warned several times about the complaints and even though they have since stopped posting their wares directly on Pinside, they were still marketing their company and webshop in many threads.

I'm still hopeful that this matter can be resolved and agreements can be reached between the IP holders and RetroRefurbs. If that happens, then we will naturally reconsider the account freeze.

#342 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Well, we try our best to remain neutral and interfere as little as possible in the thousands of posts made to Pinside every day.

Robin- Thank you for all you do for the community!

#343 6 years ago

This is interesting as one guy that was making unbreakable trunks for ToM got shut down here for a supposed infringement and another guy is on here selling them like hotcakes.

#344 6 years ago

The sad thing is that RR provides products that the rights holders either refuse to provide or provide at a price many times what Pete sells them for.

#345 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Well, we try our best to remain neutral and interfere as little as possible in the thousands of posts made to Pinside every day. We certainly don't view ourselves as "protectors of copyrights and patents" (for starters, we are not qualified to do so but we also have way too much other stuff to do to keep this site running smoothly).
    So we always urge license holders to work things out with the "infringer" directly, preferably via PM. And this often works out fine and is often quicker and more effective than through us.
    But sometimes it doesn't work and then we receive takedown notices, which we can not ignore. Because although Pinside does not have to follow American laws, we have similar laws in Europe. If you are not aware how a notice and takedown works, check out Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notice_and_take_down (the first paragraphs kind of says it all).
    Besides all that, when someone is blatantly selling copied artwork on a large scale, apparently without compensating the artists and/or rights owners... Well, that also rubs us the wrong way morally.

After continuous claims of copyright infringement and pressure from IP holders, we had to act. RetroRefurbs have been warned several times about the complaints and even though they have since stopped posting their wares directly on Pinside, they were still marketing their company and webshop in many threads.
    I'm still hopeful that this matter can be resolved and agreements can be reached between the IP holders and RetroRefurbs. If that happens, then we will naturally reconsider the account freeze.

The C and D's didn't stop retro, they don't have a leg to stand on here either.

#346 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

The C and D's didn't stop retro, they don't have a leg to stand on here either.

True somewhat, US Customs could seize anything that comes into the country from them. I'd have to ask my brother about that though, he stops all kinds of stuff coming into MPLS/SP airport.

#347 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

The sad thing is that RR provides products that the rights holders either refuse to provide or provide at a price many times what Pete sells them for.

Pete - Thank you for all you do for the community!

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Yes. The issue here though is that Pinside and Robin get caught in between. Puts them in a bad spot that they did not create. Seems like Robin is handling it correctly.

#349 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Exactly. I could not find LOTR decals anywhere else and the prices he charges are more than fair. Would buy from again without hesitation.

#350 6 years ago

Looks like there's a Black Market for pinball parts now. Who would have thunk.

There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-decals-from-retro-refurbs/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.