Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 380 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-10-07 13.53.43 (resized).jpg
    2017-10-07 13.53.34 (resized).jpg
    tron-legacy-pinball-sideblades-inside-decals-sideboard-art-pin-blades (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    new-mock-1 (resized).jpg
    77C12947-EE0B-4366-8EE6-035E8D712DB9 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4721 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4719 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4718 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6223 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6222 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6218 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6217 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 7 years ago

I would not recommend applying our decals with a squeegee, the drag is too harsh on the surface. Only a soft cloth like a microfibre towel is needed to smooth them out or a good tool to use is a lino brayer (hard rubber roller).

Did he apply them with a hot air gun? If not, you can go back over them with hot air to remove any fine scratches and also help set the adhesive permanently.

Any problems with artwork sizing or mismatch, please email me with the details so we can correct it.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#52 7 years ago

He did not apply them with a hot air gun. I will let my friend know this may take out the scratches. I will also have him drop you a line regarding the sizing issues.

This is the instruments we used. It's pretty par for the course in vinyl application: https://www.amazon.com/Sedeta-Durable-Wrapping-Cleaning-Squeegee/dp/B00X3EOD7Q/ref=sr_1_11

There is another set that is waiting for the cabinet to be finished, I'll make sure we grab a lino brayer for that.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

A friend purchased a set and I watched the installation yesterday. I think, they are fine for what they are. The decals he purchased were not totally true to the originals, artwork was slightly larger and did not match-up correctly. Had to shift the cab decals down about an inch -inch and a half from the top of the cab or the logo would have been covered by the side rails.
    My only other "compliant" was that he had a guy with a ton of vinyl experience come over to apply, he used a felt covered squeegee and even with the felt he ended up with superficial scratches on the vinyl. You could see almost every squeegee stroke-changed felt and it made no difference. It's not something you could see from afar, but noticeable with the cab laying on its side under lighting. I was kind of surprised by this.

Which game / set, and do you have any photos of the damage? Others have not reported this.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

I would not recommend applying our decals with a squeegee, the drag is too harsh on the surface. Only a soft cloth like a microfibre towel is needed to smooth them out or a good tool to use is a lino brayer (hard rubber roller).
    Did he apply them with a hot air gun? If not, you can go back over them with hot air to remove any fine scratches and also help set the adhesive permanently.
    Any problems with artwork sizing or mismatch, please email me with the details so we can correct it.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

Can you post a link to a Lino brayer? Something on amazon maybe?

#55 7 years ago

Here an amazon link to bunches of them:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

Here an amazon link to bunches of them:
    amazon.com link »

Thank you. Was hoping somebody had a recommendation on exact size/brand that has worked well for cab decals.

#57 7 years ago

I purchased Radical decals about a week ago.
    I'm pretty sure they will look good since I was referred by a local restorer.
    Shipping them soon Pete?I'm ready to tear into this Radical and start the restore.

#58 7 years ago

I'm interested in Mousin Around decals. It's difficult to see if the colors are correct and the dithering (dots) are there.

Has anyone purchased these and can comment?

Thanks!
    Kerry

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm interested in Mousin Around decals. It's difficult to see if the colors are correct and the dithering (dots) are there.
    Thanks!
    Kerry

This might help:

31239376542_a22606c37b_k (resized).jpg31239376542_a22606c37b_k (resized).jpg

Also, on our Facebook page we shared a post from someone who completed their cabinet with our decals:

16797489_617201318481305_7581717948303537269_o (resized).jpg16797489_617201318481305_7581717948303537269_o (resized).jpg

You can see that and more at https://www.facebook.com/RetroRefurbsUK/

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Avatar:

My wife is an artist, so I am allergic to people using artwork they don't have the rights too.

Said it with the Gottlieb schematics (and everybody threw a fit) and I'll say it again: the original creators are receiving $0 of their profits, the only difference being is with the (older) schematics they've likely passed away on top of that

#61 7 years ago

So any thips on applying these decals, I see a roller and microcloth. What is the best way to go.
    RetroRefurbs do you have an instruction video?

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

So any thips on applying these decals, I see a roller and microcloth. What is the best way to go.
    Retrorefurbs do you have an instruction video?

I've nearly finished making a video showing us taking decals and scrunching them up into a little ball, stamping on them, and then unfolding and applying them perfectly without any marks.

This should help anyone crying over little wrinkles, and how to apply them with just a cloth and heat gun.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#63 7 years ago

Can't wait to see that!

#64 7 years ago

Me too. I'll be doing this process in hopefully a month or so with retros decals.. be good to watch it done first so I don't screw it up. (Prob will anyhow though lol)

#65 7 years ago

After watching the decals applied, I would say that the process was not that difficult. The materials are very forgiving. As with anything, it's about having the right tools, doing the prep work and not making shortcuts.

#66 7 years ago

I've ordered three sets now. Pretty decent product only had a problem with lines going through one of them.(still waiting for an email to resolve) but what a sh**** attitude about making a video for people who don't know these things.

DSC02793 (resized).JPGDSC02793 (resized).JPG

DSC02796 (resized).JPGDSC02796 (resized).JPG

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from grumpy712:

I've ordered three sets now. Pretty decent product only had a problem with lines going through one of them.(still waiting for an email to resolve) but what a sh**** attitude about making a video for people who don't know these things.

Hi! Just working through the backlog of emails from the weekend and will reply to you shortly. Your coin door with the line through it will be replaced, no issue.

My comment about the video was just a bit of light hearted humour. It's not about showing people how to apply decals, it's about showing how amazing our material is when you scrunch it up and totally screw with it.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#68 7 years ago

My comment about the video was just a bit of light hearted humour. It's not about showing people how to apply decals, it's about showing how amazing our material is when you scrunch it up and totally screw with it.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

I got it, totally would love to see it. Been applying vinyl for some time, but if this is more like car wrap all is different. Best tool would be a hair blower.

#69 7 years ago

RetroRefurbs... Thanks for the picts of Mousin Around.

It appears there is some shading-dithering in yellow (the orange shading). The blue looks lighter than the deep blues on MA. Are they deep blue or is the pict off?

Thanks
    Kerry

#70 7 years ago

RetroRefurbs... Thanks for the picts of Mousin Around.
    It appears there is some shading-dithering in yellow (the orange shading). The blue looks lighter than the deep blues on MA. Are they deep blue or is the pict off?
    Thanks
    Kerry

Might be the pic that is off. I think the blue is pretty good. Here's a photo I took with my own camera under natural daylight:

31347131146_a6a9a874f8_k (resized).jpg31347131146_a6a9a874f8_k (resized).jpg

To be honest, no decal replacement is ever going to be 100% perfect no matter who you get them from, or how they're made. Original is always best so if you can save your cabinet's existing artwork either by touch up or just living with it as is, then that would be my recommendation.

That's only my personal opinion however. For me a game which plays 100% perfect with a nice playfield is worth more than a nice cabinet.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#71 7 years ago

That's only my personal opinion however. For me a game which plays 100% perfect with a nice playfield is worth more than a nice cabinet.

Says the guy that sells cabinet decals for a business .
    I agree to some part. I am doing a POTC and the original artwork is just crap. The resolution is terrible. So some alternative decals with photo resolution will enhance the look of the game. Just need to figure out if I am going to apply the decals myself...that is why I need that video

#72 7 years ago

Thanks!
    Kerry

They look crap, no screen gradient dots, screw them up in a ball and toss them in the bin, is what we did with a customers machine and fitted next gen.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

They look crap, no screen gradient dots, screw them up in a ball and toss them in the bin, is what we did with a customers machine and fitted next gen.

would you consider yourself a little biased? .. stir stir

#74 7 years ago

no screen gradient dots

Quoted from wiredoug:

would you consider yourself a little biased? .. stir stir

He is right though

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

He is right though

oh i dont doubt it. and i know how hard it is to redo them all on a photo just making the bias point

oh and before wayne comes back being cranky at me... i wouldn't advocate buying anything where the genuine one is available.. i just thing petes service is valuable for games where there is no genuine reproduction in the market.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

i just thing petes service is valuable for games where there is no genuine reproduction in the market.

I think that Pete's decals are very close to the originals if not better on some. I purchased a set of genuine decals (not going to say from who) that were next-gen with the gold authentic sticker and I ended up using them for end tables so in my opinion genuine reproductions are not always the best. That's Just my opinion

#77 7 years ago

Anyone know if they or anyone else makes Cabinet Decals for Simpsons Pinball Party?

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

Says the guy that sells cabinet decals for a business .

Haha yes, because I'm honest, and no one is getting rich off this stuff so lets just do the best we can for people.

Unlike this idiot and his "gang".....

As we spoke in the other topic, YOU are a liar. You've never had our decals. You bought some crap ones from a guy in Italy. My materials are FAR suprior to your "NextGen" rubbish. It's total gash. Let me tell you why - the last time I had your NextGen crap my customer returned his RFM and told me to take them off.

For starters the print resolution of NextGen was awful, the material was total crap, too thick and threw up bubbles everywhere. It was completely inflexible and couldn't be manipulated. It is the cheapest vinyl I've ever seen and appears to be unbranded. On top of this it seems the makers of this "NextGen" rubbish have no understanding of how to print black, the black was terrible. Full of colored dots, not a solid color.

Finally the texture was the worst offender. Matt!! Pinball2000 games came with glossy decals from the factory, and the correct coin door decal wasn't supplied either.

I have photos to prove all of the above if you want to challenge me, and I'm not even going to mention the price issue.

Why don't we put your decals up next to mine sometime and compare like for like on video for everyone to see how full of crap you, Rick and everyone else in your little gang of NextGen con artists really are.

But, I'm not bitter. Unlike you. At least people now have a choice as to what to put on their beloved games. Choice is everything.

You want half tone dots? Here's some half tone dots!!

WD (resized).jpgWD (resized).jpg

Suck on that for a while.

Digest it.

Then take a laxative. Seems you need one already.

Quoted from grumpy712:

I think that Pete's decals are very close to the originals if not better on some. I purchased a set of genuine decals (not going to say from who) that were next-gen with the gold authentic sticker and I ended up using them for end tables so in my opinion genuine reproductions are not always the best. That's Just my opinion

Thank you! Trying to make improvements where possible, but we can't please everyone.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

Anyone know if they or anyone else makes Cabinet Decals for Simpsons Pinball Party?

Yes sir, we have them here: -link removed-

Note, our TSPP decals are full resolution with solid colors. They are not the low resoltuion CMYK halftone that Stern originally printed at. Most people seem to prefer our version.

Again, just being honest with people here.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#79 7 years ago

Pete. I think you bring a great service to the pinball community - keep it up.

#80 7 years ago

My IJ is faded, I'd buy these decals when/if I can ever find time to do the job. May just have to buy them to have them on hand. Thanks for doing this!

#81 7 years ago

Pete, I like your passion.

#82 7 years ago

Well my business doesn't rely on decals, next gen vinyl is the most expensive available, you need a belt sander to get it off, Williams used it on original cabinets, bubbles rub out of it, unlike PVC coated vinyl, next gen is the printing method, the vinyl is pressure sensitive cast vinyl, its the same stuff Williams screen printed onto, the same stuff phoenix arcade used, so rubbish darins stuff and Williams while you are at it.

The difference is next gen is uv stable, you say I haven't seen you stuff is rubbish, many here have asked us to fit it.

I don't own the rights anymore, but if I did I would put a call into the owners of Williams and demand they do something about you.

You are profiting from IP that you don't own, you should send money to the holder of the license not buy new cars etc.

Go open a hamburger shop and sell a bigmac, see how long you last.

As I said I don't care what you do, I am still making my honest opinion, like others have.

Some people like chev cars and some say they are rubbish, turn up at expo in Chicago with your stuff and see what happens..

#83 7 years ago

If anyone is bored, see next gen decals

http://www.pinballrestoration.com.au/

#84 7 years ago

Well my business doesn't rely on decals, next gen vinyl is the most expensive available, you need a belt sander to get it off, Williams used it on original cabinets, bubbles rub out of it, unlike PVC coated vinyl, next gen is the printing method, the vinyl is pressure sensitive cast vinyl, its the same stuff Williams screen printed onto, the same stuff phoenix arcade used, so rubbish darins stuff and Williams while you are at it.
    The difference is next gen is uv stable, you say I haven't seen you stuff is rubbish, many here have asked us to fit it.
    I don't own the rights anymore, but if I did I would put a call into the owners of Williams and demand they do something about you.
    You are profiting from IP that you don't own, you should send money to the holder of the license not buy new cars etc.
    Go open a hamburger shop and sell a bigmac, see how long you last.
    As I said I don't care what you do, I am still making my honest opinion, like others have.
    Some people like chev cars and some say they are rubbish, turn up at expo in Chicago with your stuff and see what happens..

Blah blah blah. No one cares.

Funny how you've only ever got a bee in your bonnet about Bally Williams stuff. What about Data East, Stern, Sega, Gottlieb and all the others?

What about Pinside? You wanna shut down 99% of the mods and replacement parts people are selling on here?

The amount of sheer nonsense that comes out of your mouth is something I find hilarious, but every time you and your buddies create a fuss over it, it draws more attention to Retro Refurbs which gives us a nice little boost in sales. That in turn means I can pay my designers to develop more stuff people need.

Thank you. I'll raise a glass to you my friend.

#85 7 years ago

I received my BTTF decals earlier this week:
    20170320_153905 (resized).jpg20170320_153905 (resized).jpg
    20170320_153909 (resized).jpg20170320_153909 (resized).jpg
    20170320_191431 (resized).jpg20170320_191431 (resized).jpg
    20170320_191437 (resized).jpg20170320_191437 (resized).jpg

The only piece of feedback I would have is that these decals are an exact fit to the cabinet. It would have been nice to have an 1/2 inch - 1 inch of play on the art to line up appropriately.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with them prior to installation. I'll doing a restoration thread here for those who want to see the application: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roads-where-were-going-we-dont-need-roads-bttf-restoration

OK, back to sanding for me....

#86 7 years ago

I am stoked with mine and it is on the project list of things to do.
    I say thank you as you are the only ones doing these for the best game every GILLIGAN's ISLAND

#87 7 years ago

RetroRefurbs Pete could you tell me do you know anything about these decals?

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/goldeneye/6433/cabinet-decal-set-for-goldeneye?c=2221#description

If possible could you give me details of any differences you may know or a reason why your versions might be better quality? Just wanted to ask before grabbing a set off your site. Thanks

#88 7 years ago

Pete @RetroRefurbs...

I have purchased many decals with 1/2" to 1" overlap before. That is actually my preference, doing cabinet decaling.

Do your decals (specifically MA) have that overlap?

Let me know.
    Thanks
    Kerry

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

retrorefurbs Pete could you tell me do you know anything about these decals?
    http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/goldeneye/6433/cabinet-decal-set-for-goldeneye?c=2221#description
    If possible could you give me details of any differences you may know or a reason why your versions might be better quality? Just wanted to ask before grabbing a set off your site. Thanks

Difficult to say without seeing them in person but I know Pinball Center don't use the same material as we do, as a customer recently sent me a set of their TMNT to put on his game. While they're not particularly bad I do believe our material is better as we selected it for it's ability to be minuplated, forgiveness, and adhesion strength. It's an industrial grade wrapping material primarily used on vehicles and even aircraft, which obviously undergoes harsh conditions.

So next time you see a plane wrapped in British Airways (or other) branding, you know it's the same stuff

Based on the screen shot preview though, I would say the colours look a little dull and perhaps the red is too dark. Maybe these are scans? Ours are completely redrawn from scratch by an artish. Look at our preview in comparison.

Other than that the only obvious thing I see is that Pinball Center are out of stock and even if they were available are approximately £30 pounds more expensive than ours (before shipping).

#90 7 years ago

Pete RetroRefurbs...
    I have purchased many decals with 1/2" to 1" overlap before. That is actually my preference, doing cabinet decaling.
    Do your decals (specifically MA) have that overlap?
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Our decals have a small amount of overlap, a bit less than 1/2", but we generally keep it tight so they can be aligned better on the cabinet.

When applied with heat and smoothed out they will expand a small amount too.

Remember as well that decals should be trimmed back slightly shorter and not go right to the edge of cabinet so they don't catch. Not that ours are easy to peel once fully cured but this does help keep them in better condition. The original cabinets were trimmed that way.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#91 7 years ago

Hi Kerry,
    Our decals have a small amount of overlap, a bit less than 1/2", but we generally keep it tight so they can be aligned better on the cabinet.
    When applied with heat and smoothed out they will expand a small amount too.
    Remember as well that decals should be trimmed back slightly shorter and not go right to the edge of cabinet so they don't catch. Not that ours are easy to peel once fully cured but this does help keep them in better condition. The original cabinets were trimmed that way.
    Pete
    Retro Refurbs

Pete,

About to order a few sets of decals. Have you posted the video yet on applying them with a heat gun? Want to look at that before I order. Keep up the good work and keep producing decals for additional games. It's badly needed!

Thanks!
    Craig

#92 7 years ago

Any chance you guys might do a few translites? I would be interested in an ij93 translite.

#93 7 years ago

Just ordered a set for this poor Johnny...I will report back when they are installed

262590c3aa4adc57157966135110a5f73014e953 (resized).jpg262590c3aa4adc57157966135110a5f73014e953 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20170326-074246 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170326-074246 (resized).png

#94 7 years ago

I will also report back on Radical decals after they are installed.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

Pete,
    About to order a few sets of decals. Have you posted the video yet on applying them with a heat gun? Want to look at that before I order. Keep up the good work and keep producing decals for additional games. It's badly needed!
    Thanks!
    Craig

Should be up by the weekend. It only shows how to remove creases.

Quoted from Lermods:

Any chance you guys might do a few translites? I would be interested in an ij93 translite.

We already do, quality is outstanding with our new process: -link removed-

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Just ordered a set for this poor Johnny...I will report back when they are installed

I need to drop you an email about that order. Will be touch.

Pete
    Retro Refurbs

#96 7 years ago

Pete,
    What is the average shipping time to get them to the U.S. after you ship them?
    Thanks.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Pete,
    What is the average shipping time to get them to the U.S. after you ship them?
    Thanks.

Mine took 2.5 weeks. 85% of the time it got stuck in the International Mail processing center in the US.

#98 7 years ago

Yeah I would say average is 2 weeks

#99 7 years ago

I received my IJ decals recently. Took about 3 weeks to Canada.

The end of the roll was slighly damaged during shipping, unfortunately. The decal is a bit creased there.
    (I removed the damaged end of the carboard prior to taking these pics, wasn't *that* bad).

Will this come out with heat during application?

IMG_0973 (resized).JPGIMG_0973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0975 (resized).JPGIMG_0975 (resized).JPG

Colors seem good!

IMG_0974 (resized).JPGIMG_0974 (resized).JPG

...and they included this nifty "I (heart) Pinball" decal as well! Looks great on my toolbox!

IMG_0981 (resized).JPGIMG_0981 (resized).JPG

#100 7 years ago

Don't worry about that in the slightest. Here's what's possible:

IMG_9723 (resized).JPGIMG_9723 (resized).JPG

There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-decals-from-retro-refurbs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.