(Topic ID: 13927)

Cabinet damage, how to fix it?

By LordCrom

8 years ago

Topic Stats

  • 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by johnwartjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite


Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

    Topic Gallery

    There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).


    #1 8 years ago

    Hey all,

    If a machine has cabinet damage like splintered wood, is there anything that can be done to repair it (other than replacing the entire cabinet, or are you stuck with it?

    Thanks in advance!

    #2 8 years ago

    Can you post a few pictures and detail where in the cabinet, may help and what machine is it?

    #3 8 years ago

    A good quality auto body filler can do wonders. I don't have any recent pictures but this is from a 2008 repair .


    IMG_3460.JPG IMG_3464.JPG

    #4 8 years ago

    Hey Jim,

    Is it best to use auto body filler for that kind of damage or can you use the quikwood filler? If it is auto body filler that you recommend is it the kind that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes?


    #5 8 years ago

    I use wood bondo for big area damage and the corners.Quikwood works well to fill in small holes.

    #6 8 years ago

    Is it best to use auto body filler for that kind of damage

    I don't know what is best? I like this stuff made by U-pol called Fibral and Dolphin glaze . I get it at my local auto body supplier.



    #8 8 years ago

    Do you have to do any prep work to the cab to make sure it sticks? Sanding, cleaning, etc?

    #9 8 years ago

    You will want to of course make sure whatever you're starting with is 'clean', meaning no flaking/splintering areas. Remove all the damaged wood. Filler will 'stick' better on a coarse surface than a smooth surface. You could drill a series of small holes to give the filler a little more material to 'bite' to.

    How you repair a spot really depends on the size, location and how bad it is.

    Also, you can't apply a ton of filler in one sitting. You need to build it up over a few sessions if it's a huge gouge/hole/dent, etc.

    Stuff like a hole for a hasp is better filled with a hardwood dowel, and then use your bondo/wood putty/etc to make the end repair smooth.

    Post some pics of what you're up against, and I'm sure someone will give you a good plan of attack!

    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.00
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 119.95
    $ 248.85
    From: $ 19.50
    $ 26.95
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 16.50
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 209.99
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    From: $ 175.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    From: $ 99.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    From: $ 100.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    From: $ 5,899.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

    Hey there! Got a moment?

    Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside