12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by johnwartjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

largeThumb_fib_15.jpg
    IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Hey all,

If a machine has cabinet damage like splintered wood, is there anything that can be done to repair it (other than replacing the entire cabinet, or are you stuck with it?

Thanks in advance!

#2 12 years ago

Can you post a few pictures and detail where in the cabinet, may help and what machine is it?

#3 12 years ago

A good quality auto body filler can do wonders. I don't have any recent pictures but this is from a 2008 repair .

Jim

IMG_3460.JPGIMG_3460.JPG IMG_3464.JPGIMG_3464.JPG

#4 12 years ago

Hey Jim,

Is it best to use auto body filler for that kind of damage or can you use the quikwood filler? If it is auto body filler that you recommend is it the kind that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes?

Loren

#5 12 years ago

I use wood bondo for big area damage and the corners.Quikwood works well to fill in small holes.

#6 12 years ago

Is it best to use auto body filler for that kind of damage

I don't know what is best? I like this stuff made by U-pol called Fibral and Dolphin glaze . I get it at my local auto body supplier.

Jim

largeThumb_fib_15.jpglargeThumb_fib_15.jpg

#8 12 years ago

Do you have to do any prep work to the cab to make sure it sticks? Sanding, cleaning, etc?

#9 12 years ago

You will want to of course make sure whatever you're starting with is 'clean', meaning no flaking/splintering areas. Remove all the damaged wood. Filler will 'stick' better on a coarse surface than a smooth surface. You could drill a series of small holes to give the filler a little more material to 'bite' to.

How you repair a spot really depends on the size, location and how bad it is.

Also, you can't apply a ton of filler in one sitting. You need to build it up over a few sessions if it's a huge gouge/hole/dent, etc.

Stuff like a hole for a hasp is better filled with a hardwood dowel, and then use your bondo/wood putty/etc to make the end repair smooth.

Post some pics of what you're up against, and I'm sure someone will give you a good plan of attack!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-damage-how-to-fix-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.