You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
RoxyDog_(resized).jpg
Shopline_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maffewl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have several touch ups I'm going to be doing on my Baywatch cabinet. As I will be using an airbrush and only touching up in spots, I was thinking the final sheen may be a bit off, so I will need to put a clear coat over the whole cabinet. I would think this would be good for further protection as well. So ultimately the question is, what clear are most using for this purpose? I'm assuming a satin/semi-gloss, but wouldn't want to use a spar urethane, or anything of that sort as it yellows over time. Thoughts?

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I probably shouldn't have used the term "clear coat" as this is more associated with playfields and a certain glassy look. Essentially, I'm just trying to make sure the sheen of the cabinet is consistent. I think I will give airbrushing with Createx (though they are acrylic, not enamel) a shot, then lightly sand with maybe a 800 grit, and follow up with wax as mentioned. We will see how that goes. If it doesn't work, back to the starting block.

#8 8 years ago

Just finished touching everything up. Used Createx airbrush colors, and very happy with the results. Now I'm back to debating this as waxing will be a no-go. Thinking of using this (link below). It's acrylic matte acrylic clear coating and non-yellowing. Any experiences or thoughts?

http://www.hobbylobby.com/p/Matte-Clear-Acrylic-Coating/p/5909

1 month later
#11 8 years ago
Quoted from dgoodspeed:

Got any pictures?

Of the Baywatch? Sure, they are at Post #493 in the Baywatch Club Members Only thread found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/10#post-2899507

I ended up not clearing it yet as the weather wasn't working with me and I was ready to play. I'll probably get back around to it when it warms up. I bought this from Lowe's:

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-the-right-product/interior/decorative-paints/faux-clear-protector.html

I plan to spray it on and will report back how it works (note that I'm waiting till the weather cooperates). Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit: Also, used the hobby lobby stuff on a test spot. It worked ok, but the paint would still rub off if I tried hard enough.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I ended up using polyacrylic water based clear over my star trek mirror universe cabinet. Seems to hold up well and stupidy simple to apply with a sprayer

From the things I looked at, Polycrylic (though advertised not to) still had the potential to yellow over time. From what I saw of the Valspar stuff, it is like a watered down Elmers glue. We'll see, but thanks for the comments and I'm sure we can't be the only ones interested in this.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

I've done a few cabinets with 2PAC over decals and they've come out nice.
Here's the current one I'm working on, nearing the final restore stages.
The reflection in the cabinet is my dog taking a nap on a lazy boy, lol.
Diner_(resized).jpg

Wow, talk about a mirror shine. I've heard of people using 2Pac, can you link to what you are using because all I can think of is the rapper.

I ask because if it is the hardcore automotive stuff, I don't have the equipment or knowhow to use that.

#20 8 years ago

Wouldn't you need a paint booth, body gear, and all kinds of other materials?

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Do not sand your airbrush work. The paint is atomized as it passes through the gun, making it very thin. I've been using Createx since it came out & airbrushing for 40 yrs. Best paint on the planet.
That Diner is gorgeous! Lucky dog.

What would you use to wipe the oils off of a cabinet painted with Createx? Since I've held off on the clear coat and played the machine, I'd like to clean these off before I spray. However, it seems anything I've tried on test spots takes the Createx off as well. Since you've used it for so long, Hoping you may have more insight.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

I am assuming you have heat set the Createx. Have you tried Windex sprayed on a paper towel?

Correct. I let it sit for several days and then heat set it and let it sit for several more before bringing it in to play. Haven't tried Windex as I thought that would definitely take it off. Will it not due to ammonia or?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maffewl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-clear-coat?tu=maffewl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.