Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by KJL
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

18J7562-1-3-4-x-3-4-x-8mm-45-lock-miter-bit-f-0662-1 (resized).jpg
    0dda98962cffcaea270284ea4f991edda704443f.jpeg (resized).jpg
    lock mitre (resized).jpeg
    cab progress 1 (resized).jpeg
    C0286718-C922-457A-A5C3-5AE33DC08188 (resized).jpeg
    D7E3183D-E49F-4000-8E2B-7CD42C85C493 (resized).jpeg
    C64B1322-8FD9-461B-9C5C-AD0989403236 (resized).jpeg
    7206529E-8B00-4E3D-B06C-39E507AA886A (resized).jpeg
    ABE2FA87-1560-4422-9973-39B57340DEC0 (resized).jpeg
    62010E71-0303-46A9-8D41-D48FE4EFDC67 (resized).jpeg
    20190205_194519 (resized).jpg
    20190205_194553 (resized).jpg
    20190205_194537 (resized).jpg
    20190203_203409 (resized).jpg
    cab 3 (resized).jpg
    cab 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

The orginal canbint corners have wedges gluded in and the metal brackets on the outside. I need to figure out a way to cut these wedges for the new one im building so i can glue them in then drill out the holes.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of good info. in here. I am impressed with the way to managed to make your wedges, but that is too much work. Is is probably too late at this point in this conversation, but if you are going to be doing cabinet work you need a table saw. Either a hobby saw as another posted talked or hit up craigslist or the pawn shops for table saw.

There are a lot of good used table saws. All over the country it seems. Some are good. Some are junk. You need to study the table saw market a little bit.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Not trolling, just concerned ocd engineer here

I remember when a 2 x 4 was actually 2" x 4". Then it went to 1 7/8" x 3 7/8". Then 1 3/4 x 3 3/4. Now we are down to 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". Will we see 1 3/8" x 3 3/8" ?

This lumber shrinkage is now to the point that the stores have finally had to make note of it on the shelf labels: 3/4" actual size 22/32". The difference is minor, but if you are not expecting it.....

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

Before we moved to our current house, I had a very nice woodshop with a cabinet saw. That thing sucked up a lot of room and cost a bunch. I would look at a good track saw next time or a panel saw

I bought and old Mikita table saw at pawn shop. I'm having a ball with it. It is a small portable saw. The nice thing is that it lightweight and I can pick it up and move it at will. The bad thing is that are are no safety feature, like a riving blade. And there is no dust collection so I have to wear a mask when using it.

I want a better table saw. This is a video of portable table saw comparisons. I think I am going to go for the Hitachi.

#51 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Im double dipping in 2 threads with this question,

Double dip all you want. Pinside is so huge that I miss threads all of the time. You started this posting 8 days ago and I just stumbled into it this morning.

9 months later
    #69 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

So, I'm looking at building a WPC style cabinet and a couple of backboxes. I don't have a table saw(welcome to the reality of rentals in NorCal), but I do have a router, a little router table(both of those with 1/4" collets) and various other tools. My first thought was a locking miter bit, but all of the 1/4" ones look pretty flimsy. Anyone have any good bit recommendations?
    Barring that, is there a simpler joint that would work with the tools I have?
    EDIT: This cut with a spline looks like something I could manage easily enough:

I don't get this miter spline with all of the extra work. Why can't you just make a rabbet cut on one board and place the other board inside the rabbet? As far as holding power, I don't see any extra holding power with that miter spline. I don't see any interlocking corner cuts.

However, I'm fairly new to this wood working and know very little.

You need to move back to Kansas and get a table saw

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

When Kansas gets an ocean, I'll revisit the issue I'm done with sailing on Cheney and diving in Wilson.
    I ended up just buying a Whitewater cab from a friend. When I built the backbox for my Stranger Things retheme, I just braced the corners on the inside. Is it as pretty? Nope, but when it's all buttoned up, who will see it anyway? The next head, which will be for Scared Stiff, is going to use the same joints that the file on pinball makers shows: https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Wpc-backbox-1.png

I can't use your link. When I try I am told my computer time is not correct. It asks if I want time corrected. I say yes. It changes my time zone to Alaska and still won't let me have a look.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Doing a dredd from scratch.. just drilled my leg holes.. wish I saw cosmo’s post before I put it together... that’s how ya do it.[quoted image]

Nice work !

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Too hard to find the plate. Grounding like so. I guess there’s the fire protection, but this will be huo. It won’t be left on unsupervised.[quoted image]

Aluminum flashing used in the roofing trade will work as a good ground plate.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-6-in-x-50-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/3032677

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-20-in-x-50-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/3010400

11 months later
    #89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgonzola:

As a follow up to my previous post, for anyone else who hasn't done any real woodworking before and wants to have a go at this, be prepared to spend a LOT of time on it, and also a lot of money if you don't already have access to a decent array of tools.
    In terms of power tools useful to this project, the only ones I had prior to starting this project were cordless drills, a circular saw, a mitre saw, small router, etc. Eg, the sort of tools most people have for the odd job around the home. Now however, I have a track saw, a 10" cabinet saw, a large dust extractor, a homemade router table extension on the table saw, and a bench drill press. I'm glad I made the investment in these as there's so many more projects I can do beyond pinball now that I simply couldn't consider previously.

The tools have a way of multiplying. Sort of like the pins themselves.

I would like to see a pic of the router bit you cut your corners with, please.

0dda98962cffcaea270284ea4f991edda704443f.jpeg (resized).jpg0dda98962cffcaea270284ea4f991edda704443f.jpeg (resized).jpg

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

It is a lock mitre bit... something like this...
    [quoted image]
    Can be a real bear to setup... they make setup blocks for them and I'd recommend using one, a mechanical router lift would really make the setup easier... one day I'll have one

Thank you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-builders?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.