Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by KJL
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

18J7562-1-3-4-x-3-4-x-8mm-45-lock-miter-bit-f-0662-1 (resized).jpg
    0dda98962cffcaea270284ea4f991edda704443f.jpeg (resized).jpg
    lock mitre (resized).jpeg
    cab progress 1 (resized).jpeg
    C0286718-C922-457A-A5C3-5AE33DC08188 (resized).jpeg
    D7E3183D-E49F-4000-8E2B-7CD42C85C493 (resized).jpeg
    C64B1322-8FD9-461B-9C5C-AD0989403236 (resized).jpeg
    7206529E-8B00-4E3D-B06C-39E507AA886A (resized).jpeg
    ABE2FA87-1560-4422-9973-39B57340DEC0 (resized).jpeg
    62010E71-0303-46A9-8D41-D48FE4EFDC67 (resized).jpeg
    20190205_194519 (resized).jpg
    20190205_194553 (resized).jpg
    20190205_194537 (resized).jpg
    20190203_203409 (resized).jpg
    cab 3 (resized).jpg
    cab 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgonzola.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 3 years ago

With no prior woodworking experience I decided to have a go at building a new cabinet for my Getaway. The original cabinet has all the typical container/import pin issues (moisture damage, poorly re-glued corners, extra screws to bandaid it together, etc). Not to mention the hacked coindoor opening and the front-right corner brace had been replaced by a home-made bracket that looks like it was made from the top section of a pinball leg with nuts welded onto it!

Wanting to keep the design as true to the original as possible, I had to try lock mitre corners. I was dreading this as so many people (including those with significant woodwork experience) seem to report difficulty setting these up. By taking my time with the set up and practicing on some scraps before running the panels through, I ended up with a result I'm very pleased with. I got a little bit of veneer tearing on the inside of the back panel but that will be easy to fill when prepping for paint. I did make one silly mistake... after I had done the front, back, and left side, I accidentally run the right panel through the router with the wrong side facing down. As a result, I ended up with two left-side panels and another trip to the timber shop.

Below is a pic of my progress so far, alongside the original, and a closeup of one of the lock mitres. I've just test fit the pieces to make sure it all fits, as there's still a number of things left to do (eg, routing for floor panel, routing for glass trim, vents on the rear panel, cut corner braces, etc).

Keen eyed observers will notice the channel routed out on the top panel. I replicated that from the original... before realising that it doesn't appear to do anything. I checked it against my White Water and confirmed that it doesn't have that feature and the back box completely covers that area when installed anyway. Can anyone explain why it's there on the original?

cab progress 1 (resized).jpegcab progress 1 (resized).jpeglock mitre (resized).jpeglock mitre (resized).jpeg
    #87 3 years ago

As a follow up to my previous post, for anyone else who hasn't done any real woodworking before and wants to have a go at this, be prepared to spend a LOT of time on it, and also a lot of money if you don't already have access to a decent array of tools.

In terms of power tools useful to this project, the only ones I had prior to starting this project were cordless drills, a circular saw, a mitre saw, small router, etc. Eg, the sort of tools most people have for the odd job around the home. Now however, I have a track saw, a 10" cabinet saw, a large dust extractor, a homemade router table extension on the table saw, and a bench drill press. I'm glad I made the investment in these as there's so many more projects I can do beyond pinball now that I simply couldn't consider previously.

1 week later
    #92 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

It is a lock mitre bit... something like this...
    [quoted image]
    Can be a real bear to setup... they make setup blocks for them and I'd recommend using one, a mechanical router lift would really make the setup easier... one day I'll have one

I agree, I ran some scraps through afterwards (horizontal and vertical) before changing my router setup so I can quickly get back to the same settings next time. The router I put in my table (Triton TRA001) has a micro depth adjust which definitely helps getting the height right. Having a micro adjust for the fence also helps significantly as you don't have to keep tapping it backwards and forwards trying to land it in just the right spot.

9 months later
    #94 2 years ago
    Quoted from KJL:

A question for the lock miter experts. How do you support the pieces that are vertical along the fence? Seems like the cabinet sides are cut that way? Thanks just having to do the back of a classic Bally but considering a whole cabinet and being done. Also what wood did you use?

For a new cabinet I cut the side panels horizontally and the front/rear panels vertically, using some tight featherboards on either side of the cutter, and a focus on applying even pressure while feeding them through. Cutting the side panels vertically would be extremely difficult due to their size and weight.

I used 3/4" (actually more like 17.5mm) AA Marine Plywood as where I'm located pretty much any other option was garbage (warped, covered in knots, etc). The US seems to have a far better selection (pre-COVID anyway!).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gorgonzola.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-builders?tu=Gorgonzola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.