Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160311131327_(resized).jpg
gloves_(resized).jpeg
canstockphoto0665475-1_(resized).jpg
0271049_L_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I'm finally at a state where I'm very happy with the cleanliness of all my games. Except for one...

I have a Congo that is in desperate need of cabinet repair and new decals. Was curious about how long it takes to strip the decals, strip the adhesive, sand, bondo, sand and apply new decals. I recently did just a head and that was surprisingly long considering all the hardware that's inside it. Figured a cabinet is even more.

I want to do it, but time is kind of short these days. Want to get a rough idea before I dive in.

#2 7 years ago

It took me 40hrs plus for my first one (IJ). I didn't have much spare time either and did it over a period of several weeks. The Bryan Kelly thread on here is a great guide.

#3 7 years ago

The first time around, you are potentially looking at 30+ hours, likely more if you are picky. It can get messy too. For many, it is the most difficult part of a restoration - short of playfield work.

#4 7 years ago

Yep, I concur. lb1 is on the money. The first time tends to be a pursuit of perfection. Consequently, one tends to work rather inefficiently.

#5 7 years ago

Here are tips that will shave off a lot of time.

1) get glue remover (the type that applies with a brush) high strength
2) wait 5 minutes after applying the solution and hit it with your wife's / girlfriend's hair dryer by going over it but not staying at the same spot. The reaction will go faster. Make sure you buy 3 pair of gloves that shit eats through glove in no time and make sure you wear protective eye-wear.

3) Take the drywall throwel (or whatever you call it) and scrap off the vinyl. This should be really easy now that the solution as had the time to eat through the glue.

4)Rinse and repeat in the harder areas....the solution might have a harder time going through darker colors.

5) hit the bare side with a splash of more glue remover and then use the wood scraper and take off as much glue as you can. I cannot stress this enough because it's a lot easier to remove the remaining glue now then to try and sand it out later. The glue will get into the pores of the sandpaper quickly and you will find yourself change sheets every 2 minutes.

6)Once the cab is all sanded down, run your fingers across the panels. They will detect a lot faster all the imperfections. Your eyes can miss a lot of them. Take a pencil and circle the imperfections. That way once you get to the bondo stage you will have a clear indication of where to apply it.

7)The painting part is the hardest and most time consuming. If you have the intention of doing more cabs in the future then I suggest you get a compressor and a paint gun. Those will save you alot more time and create a more professional finish. I usually put light coats of primer until the surface is fully covered. Sand down imperfections and check once more for holes.

8)to do a real good job you will need at least 4 coats of paint. and then you sand down the imperfections and do compound sanding (400, then 600, then 800, up to 2000 if you want to), depending on the paint you used you might not even have to do this but one thing for sure the surface must be 100% flat. even a small grain of dust will make a mountain the size of the grand canyon on the panels.

in a nut shell this is it.

0271049_L_(resized).jpg0271049_L_(resized).jpg

canstockphoto0665475-1_(resized).jpgcanstockphoto0665475-1_(resized).jpg

gloves_(resized).jpeggloves_(resized).jpeg

160311131327_(resized).jpg160311131327_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Oh boy, a bit more than I was hoping for, but perhaps a good winter project. Thanks for the input!

I was unable to find the Bryan Kelly guide, anybody know where it is?

#8 7 years ago

To remove the old decals, some use an orbital sander. Though it is a bit messier, it might go much faster than going chemical. As long as you have plenty of sanding disks, you should be ok. Make sure you start with the coarser grain you can find.

See for instance https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-boob-tube-another-not-an-hep-afm-restoration#post-3033074. Boob's got an expensive sander but even without it, you should be able to remove the existing decals with 40 or 50 grit sanding discs.

#9 7 years ago

I've remove decals 3 times. The sander way takes more time I think.

#10 7 years ago

I use a $9 heat gun from Harbor Freight with a 2" scraper. It takes off the vinyl and the glue quite well. When the glue is mostly scraped off - THEN I sand with 60 grit to finish removal.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I use a $9 heat gun from Harbor Freight with a 2" scraper. It takes off the vinyl and the glue quite well. When the glue is mostly scraped off - THEN I sand with 60 grit to finish removal.

That works too. What I found was that the glue remover and wood scraper really made glue removal easier and faster but perhaps the heat gun and then a touch of remover with the scraper followed by the sander would be even quicker

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cab-decals-time-estimate-for-prep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.